A The Vampire Diaries Community
Friday 8:00 PM on The CW

The Vampire Diaries S05E16: "While You Were Sleeping"

Much like a box of delicious Nerds, my TV watching impulses come in two flavors: Wanting things that I'm already comfortable with OR wanting to see something new. That statement is probably every showrunner's nightmare. Like, if you're in the fifth season of a show with a passionate fanbase, chances are those fans want everything to remain static. Same romances, same quips, same formulas, same locations, and especially the same characters. On the other hand, subconsciously people want to see new things, they want to see expansion and growth, they want to see the ever-shifting landscape of a vital world. So how does one strike that balance? I suspect The Vampire Diaries recognized that it was losing some key personnel this year (both on camera and behind) and was also shuttling some of the characters off to college, so it decided to double-down on tons of elements from earlier seasons so that fans would feel comfortable with the larger changes. But sorry to say this, I don't think this has worked out very well. Right now this is maybe the fifth best season yet? That might change depending on how the finale goes, but still. 

I can only speak for myself, but I think the main thing I don't like about this season is how exhausted I am with the main trio. At this point we've seen every permutation of their romances and their mental states and I frankly do NOT care anymore. I'm just so tired of Damon, Stefan, and Elena. All three can go take an Uber directly into a volcano for all I care. It would be a different story if this season had them moving forward or growing somehow, but in doubling down on the past it's made them all regress into immature states that I just don't care to witness after four seasons of forward movement. Fortunately "While You Were Sleeping" suggested that all three of them are starting to feel the same way. Damon and Elena even broke up! (Sort of.) Stefan is definitely headed more in the direction of a certain blonde judgey type. So, fingers crossed, things might be moving forward again?

But this brings me back to my very perfect Nerds analogy. After a season of forced familiarity, I am STARVED for newness. In this episode all I cared about were the new elements. The Travelers' schemes, Sloan, Liv, Luke, Enzo. I loved all these people across the board and I didn't know if it's simply because they're fresh and full of potential still, or if they're just particularly well-written and well-cast. Doesn't matter. Every time one of them came onscreen I was excited again! Unfortunately "While You Were Sleeping" still had its fair share of issues, including my two least favorite things on TV: Dream sequences and long phone conversations. Ugh. Do you know why dream sequences are bad storytelling? Because literally anything can happen in them and they do not matter and they have no stakes. As for phone conversations, they're just so boring to watch and this episode had a million of them. Those are my main two gripes. But there were some fantastic things going on here too. Let's talk about 'em!

It all started in some kind of college town version of Mystic Grill, just lots of dark wood and underage teens drinking beer. Meanwhile some lady was standing on the bar having some kind of neurological event? Whoops, upon closer inspection it was just Elena dancing!

But then she stopped and realized that this was very out of character for her! Not only that, but she was feeling WAY more like Katherine than she was like Elena!

So yeah, table top bar dancing time was over. It was guilt trip time. I mean, her friends DID have some 'splaining to do.

Except nope! Just kidding, it was only a dream sequence. Because even though we had already seen Elena wake up in the last episode, this show decided to pretend like that didn't count, and she'd been waking up over and over without remembering it and nobody told her anything but I guess somebody brought her to college at some point? Man, I was already very confused about everything. But then again, so was Elena.

Especially when she realized her whole dorm was empty and she was trapped in a force-field in the lounge area!

The reason was because it was spraaaang breaaak and Stefan thought it would be easier to hold Elena hostage here while her vampire rabies took its toll. Why college though? Why did he drive her two hours away from home for this? There are honestly millions of answers to this question spread across millions of parallel universes, don't worry. I can only only think of one though, and that is that the Salvatore dungeon was already occupied:

Damon still had vampire rabies also and Jeremy was his hunky dungeonmaster, just sort of feeding him cups of Stefan's blood and also providing witty repartee. In my opinion it had been a major line-crossing moment when Damon casually allowed Enzo to murder Jeremy a few episodes back. Like, that was a truly villainous move and Damon still felt no remorse over it? Yet he was still in love with Jeremy's SISTER and wanted her back? Like, maybe A LITTLE remorse might be due here? Complaint alert: This show is straight-up schizophrenic about what makes Damon tick. It reaaaally wants him to be a sardonic dick most of the time (as a throwback?), but that is just not supported by the character development. Now he's just this weird hybrid personality of being smart and intuitive and then just needlessly vicious to people. Is that what the fans want? I guess they must want that. Okay nevermind, forget I said anything.

Then Elena called from a payphone in the common area and she and Damon set a new world's record for the fastest ever sweeping of serious issues under the rug.

It was honestly insane to hear these two maniacs flirting over the phone like everything was normal and chill. Like, at one point Elena even apologized TO DAMON for what Katherine did and they agreed that Katherine had basically forced Damon to become a maniac and it was not really his fault and also he wanted to sex Elena up so much now. Are these people I'm supposed to be rooting for? No thanks.

Meanwhile Caroline was out pawing through Dr. Wes' things looking for the vampire rabies antidote and she was interrupted by Enzo who showed up to, uh, sexually harass her about sleeping with Klaus? No seriously, why was he there again? I mean, it turned out Enzo already knew where the antidote was and he only needed Stefan to get it, not Caroline. Quick question am I watching this show wrong, because I frankly cannot make heads or tails of why anyone was doing anything anymore. I'm sure it all makes sense on the page but I am feeling dummmmmb. Oh well, what else is new.

Luckily Stefan brought little bottles of his own blood (how much blood can a vampire possibly bleed from himself and still look like a healthy hunk? We may never know). But this was still not enough blood for Elena because she was THIRSTY as h*ck.

There was even this part where she pretended to be super chill about it but then Stefan opened a wrist and she got all crinkly-faced and went NUTS on him.

Also this was the part where Elena realized that Katherine had macked out with Stefan using her own body. I don't think that Elena was so much disturbed that Stefan had messed around with Katherine, I think she was disturbed that Stefan believed it had been Elena at the time, which I'm sure reminded her that Stefan still kinda digs her. But when he told her that he'd turned down "Elena" for sexy times, real Elena looked slightly bummed right? Like how dare he? Anyway, yeah, this was a weird convo. You or I will probably not ever find ourselves in a situation like this one, is my guess.

Meanwhile Bonnie was hanging out with Liv, the new blond witch with the Gina Gershon lips and the boner for Jeremy. Have I mentioned I really like Liv? I really liked her already, but then the episode's final twist made me REALLY like her. Again, it is a breath of fresh air to have another dynamic lady character added into the mix. Into it.

At this point I started openly wishing that TVD would start taking notes from The Originals on how to make witches and witchcraft interesting again. The witches on The Originals have gotten VERY powerful and very cool whereas the TVD ones remain a joke. But then of course later we find out that Liv is secretly super powerful, so I take that complaint back. Once again, I really like Liv and I hope she becomes a full-on character. I think she brings some spice to the stew, you know what I'm sayin'? (I only kind of know what I'm saying.)

F the diary, I don't care. (What kind of grown woman, let alone a 500-year-old woman, still writes "Dear Diary" in a journal?) Anyway, as predicted, Katherine keeping a written record of her treachery was a very weird decision on her part. Of course Elena found it and she did NOT appreciate all that bragging.

For one thing it caused her to slip into a hallucination which, as you probably know by now, is not great storytelling and is boring for us to watch. At least flashbacks are things that happened. Anyway, she imagined that Katherine had hooked up with Stefan and Stefan was very into it:

And then Damon showed up and they fought over her. Typical Elena dream!

WHO. CARES.

Meanwhile Caroline called up Stefan and asked him to go with her to an old train yard so they could get the cure from Enzo or whatever. 

Honestly it was just a good excuse for them to put on very cool coats and hang out for a bit. But then suddenly tons of attractive ragamuffins jumped out of the boxcars and surrounded them!

They were obviously Travelers and their sexy leader showed up to do all the talking:

I like Sloan. She's my kind of lady. Kind but confident. It's easy to see why she's the leader. Anyway, her thing was, she had the cure for vampire rabies ready to go, but in exchange she needed Stefan to donate more doppelganger blood so that she could track down another Stefan doppelganger and kill him so that the buckets of Stefan and Elena's blood taken earlier would become the blood of the FINAL doppelgangers, which was somehow more powerful. Did I do a good job of explaining that because I feel like that makes even less sense now that I typed it out. My eyeballs are burning with confusion. But look, doesn't matter, just know that Sloan and the Travelers want Stefan and Elena to be the final doppelgangers and I DID TOO. I would love nothing more for them to be the last ever doppelgangers and we can never even think about the doppelganger plotline ever again. Anyway, yeah, Team Travelers at this point.

Another hallucination, this time of Aaron. This one made Elena somehow think that SHE had murdered Aaron but honestly it's not even worth talking about, none of the hallucinations are worth talking about. Not when we could be talking about HIM:

First of all, just look at him. I mean. Yeah. This is Luke. It's enough that there's a new character who looks like this and also has interesting secrets. Count me in just on those grounds alone. But also he's openly gay! 

FINALLY. It turns out that gay people exist in this world! I have complained about this show's lack of gay characters since before I was born it feels like, so credit where credit's due: TVD DID IT. And did it well. Ladies and gentlemen, a gay character. Do not troll me and tell me that Caroline's dad counted because he did NOT count. His gayness was a backstory footnote and you better believe the show would've retconned that if it could've. And sure, Dr. Wes had a read-between-the-lines thing going on, but Luke is different. He mentioned that he was gay TWICE just so there was no confusion. And no it wasn't overkill. Believe me, straight people are constantly mentioning their straightness even when they don't realize it, it's just not that noticeable because of how used to it we are. So Luke mentioning a boyfriend or that his gayness precludes him from being sexually attracted to women is totally fine. Also I just really like Luke. For one thing he entered calling Elena a drunken mess. Even in this first impression--before we learned there was more going on than we thought--I really liked his attitude and personality. And I am NOT convinced that he will be a villain in the long-run. I really hated that Caroline's dad ended up a villain, and I suspect Dr. Wes' villainy was why we didn't get an answer about his sexuality either way, because hopefully the show realized that it's so sucky and retrograde to present gay villains BEFORE there are any gay heroes. Look, I know you didn't come here for an essay about how gay representation in 2014 STILL lags far behind real life census statistics (yes there is one little-seen HBO series in which the main characters are gay, but there is also the entire lineup of every other network so don't tell me there's parity). Anyway, long story short: I like Luke a lot and I'm so excited about where his plotline might lead. Thank you, TVD. Sincerely.

So then Elena tried to murder him.

She wanted to turn him into a vampire! Which, honestly, I was okay with mostly because it would immediately make Luke more powerful (and thus safer from future murders). But it didn't happen...

Elena realized that Katherine had been feeding on him and I guess felt guilty and didn't go through with it. Now that I think about it, in light of what we learn about Luke later, it didn't really make sense that he was going to allow her to murder him? And also he had allowed Katherine to feed on him? I mean I get that he's more scheming that his first impression suggested, but he must be DEEP undercover if he'd willingly get straight-up sucked and murdered by these vampires. I shouldn't jump to conclusions though, maybe his plan is more complex than I realized. 

Anyway, speaking of non-complex plans:

Damon decided he needed to bust out of the dungeon in order to save Elena from her rabies so he grabbed Matt and threatened to really murder him in front of Jeremy. Sorry, this was also reprehensible. DO NOT.

Meanwhile back at the railroad, all the boxcar children were ready to zap Stefan's brain.

I'm not going to lie, this was a very unusual scenario. But again, tons of great winter wear out there, so.

At this point Elena was really going crazy, like bag-lady crazy, and she started a fire in the common room and started throwing all her things into it. I was not mad about the diary getting destroyed because on this show all of the diaries should be burned. But Elena was really wildin' out brain-wise, and the ruckus attracted some local witches to the scene.

It was Bonnie and Liv! At this point Elena started threatening them to release her from the force-field and in my opinion she did not ask very nicely.

Yup, Elena let the vampire rabies get the best of her, so she stabbed Liv and blackmailed her into releasing her in exchange for vampire blood to heal her puncture wound. And I guess it worked! 

Meanwhile the sun had gone down and Sloan was STILL zapping Stefan's brain. She was really digging deep in there trying to find the other doppelganger. And then she did! The unlucky fella was an EMT in Atlanta.

But it's like, wait, Stefan didn't have any kids before he turned into a vampire, right? So that means this doppelganger must also be a vampire? I don't know. I don't know. I just don't know. All I know is Sloan kept trying to dig deeper. Did she want the guy's ATM pin code or something? But Caroline was sick and tired of all the brain zapping already.

Meanwhile guess who was roaming around campus like a lady hobo.

And then she started hallucinating again!

It ended up being the real Damon, so both of them had busted out of their chains so they could enjoy vampire rabies TOGETHER. Unfortunately Elena's version had werewolf venom in it so she was coughing up blood and dying and whatnot. Which, why did Dr. Wes want to make THAT version of the virus? Didn't he WANT the vampires to feed on each other? And it's not exactly contagious, right? Look, I don't understand the pathology of this thing at all. But it didn't matter anyway, because lookit:

And that was that! Just before Elena could properly lose her mind and, I don't know, force her head through a sewer grate, Enzo arrived! He'd been given the antidote because Stefan had fulfilled his end of the bargain.

It was cute when he pulled a trick on Caroline by calling her Rebekah. You know, brain damage is no laughing matter considering Stefan had literally had his brain erased earlier in the season. Hasn't he ever heard the proverb of the boy who called brain damage?

Ugh, this part. So the Travelers want the other doppelganger dead and Enzo and Caroline VOLUNTEERED to go murder him. Yep, just gonna go out and murder an innocent PARAMEDIC. I'm sure there will be complications, but still. Not a great look on Caroline. The murder plot. Not the coat, the coat WAS a good look on Caroline.

Meanwhile Liv had healed from her staking and she and Bonnie got to bonding. 

It was pretty charming how excited Bonnie seemed to have a new mentee. You know, because those who can't do, teach. But aside from Jeremy, Bonnie's usual friends probably don't even remember her name when she's not in the room, so this seemed like a nice change of pace for her! 

Unfortunately it was all a ruse!

First of all, Liv not only knew tons of magic, she seemed pretty powerful! No yammering or anything. Second of all, look who her brother is!

Luke! Wearing shorts! 

So they said a few cryptic things which I think were supposed to sound nefarious but were so vague that I think they were a misdirection. Just stuff like how Luke had only pretended to be compelled by Elena and how 'Bonnie will be bummed when all her friends are in danger.' Stuff like that. I don't know. But look, this is the best way to introduce new characters. We are way past the point of being able to tolerate know-nothing dummies, which is why Aaron didn't work and why April was a total disaster. If you're going to bring in new people, give them a secret scheme. Liv and Luke definitely have a secret scheme and I'm very into it whatever it is, I don't even care, I'm interested. I think I already love these kids. Do you think Luke has powers also? And do you think they are twins? I really hope they are twins. CALLING IT FIRST: SPIN-OFF #2! 

Then came the centerpiece of the episode. Elena and Damon, cured, and finally hashing out their relationship. They both seemed to acknowledge that things are very effed up right now, especially now that Elena knew the full extent of his mayhem (including murdering Aaron for no reason). I particularly liked the part where Elena admitted she's kind of ashamed of all the bad things Damon had done. FINALLY. Finally. Next step is becoming ashamed of the things SHE'D done, but she was still mostly just steamed at Katherine. Baby steps. Anyway, it all went down basically like this:

THEY BROKE UP! THEN THEY SHIRTLESS HUGGED! And then we all got emotional whiplash because what is even going on anymore? I am clearly an idiot contrarian who doesn't like things that other people like but I straight-up don't careeeee about these two people. Go have your tons of sex and let me just hang out with the new characters.

That's all. This episode was medium-okay, I don't know what to tell you. A lot of things were tiresome or confusing but a lot of things were great! I like the new characters, I like the Travelers, I liked Caroline's coat, I liked Stefan's coat, heck, I even like Enzo way more now. He is charming when he's being useful! Just honestly keep Damon and Elena off my TV for a while, I think I'm done with them. I would take a Bonnie stand-alone episode at this point.

SORRY BYE

QUESTIONS

... What are the Travelers up to?

... Do you still care about Damon and Elena's relationship?

... Are Liv and Luke good or bad?

... Have you ever stayed alone in an empty dorm during spring break? I have! It was actually really fun, but this isn't about me, it's about you, so have you?

396 Comments
Comments (363)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
The hypocrisy in this episode caused me actual anger. I feel as though this show has just become a show about bad people criticising other bad people for bad things that they have done. The writers can't have it both ways, if they want their characters to take the moral high ground in arguments then their characters need to be people with somewhat decent morals, if they want their characters to be unrepentant murderers then they can;t have them criticise others for their bad actions.
First Matt and Jeremy were annoyed at Damon for killing Aaron and allowing Enzo to try and kill Jeremy. I get why Jeremy was mad but was he really that surprised? It's not like Damon hasn't tried to kill him before. Also Jeremy and Matt have both murdered thousands of vampire via killing an original and neither have ever shown anything like remorse for it so them being morally superior just doesn't work.
While obviously it makes sense that Elena would be upset that none of her friends noticed that she'd been replaced, there was that time that Klaus took over Alaric's body and nobody noticed, that time Bonnie died and nobody noticed and that time Stefan disappeared and nobody noticed and when they met Silas pretending to be Stefan only Jeremy noticed and that was only because he's a hunter, so it was hard to sympathise with her complaints. Then she complained that damon made her "bend her morals"- morals like being really upset about almost killing one witch and completely unrepentant about genocide?
Then there was Caroline criticising Enzo for "murdering innocent people" at the start of the episode and then setting off to murder an innocent person at the end of the episode.
I'm really struggling to work out whether the writers don't notice these things or just don't care.
On the up side, I do quite like Liv and I'm interested in what she and Luke are up to. I have enjoyed seeing some new characters with potential. I'm really hoping that the show will pull itself out of this slump.
More+
Flag
More doppelgangers...? Jeez, the writers really outdid themselves on that one. At least the Damon fall down into darkness part is over. Now we can move forward and maybe even get a good story line started.
Flag
The love stories on this show has always been my least favorite part of this show.It's the action and friendships that keep me interested.The only ship'ing I'm interested in,is friend-shipping ;) Either way,this episode was bit boring to me,since Elena is my least favorite character and this episode was very heavy on her.Hope the rest of the season gets better!
Flag
I have to say that while I went through a period of not caring, Elena and Damon have made their way back to being a couple I care about recently.
I'm hopeful about this new plot twist with Liv and Luke, they both seem like really interesting characters. Maybe even witches who are actually interesting?
Flag
Damon and Elena still being together is ridiculous and pretty much disgusting at this point. Damon said the keyword: toxic. That should be a cue, but apparently the writers don't seem to understand that just because they claim to love each other, they don't HAVE to stay together when they both realize it's not good for them. It's a shame really because this couple had so much potential in the first couple of seasons, but it says a lot that the only way they could properly get together was with the sire bond. Now that that storyline is done, it's just pointless keeping them together. It's not believable, it's not likable, and more importantly, it's not healthy.
Flag
I do not care at all about the Travelers. I don't care what they're up to and I'm sure once we find out (if we ever do) it'll be something stupid.

I used to care about Damon & Elena but now it's just getting annoying because it's so on and off still, so hot and cold all the time. And lately I'm so sick of Damon and he used to be my favorite character and more than anything I wanted him and Elena but I don't really care at this point. I don't want Stefan and Elena either.

I'm not sure how I feel about Liv and Luke. I think they were just thrown into the show to add something "interesting" to the mix. But I can't see myself liking either of them. I never liked Liv and I probably won't like Luke either but we shall see(bigger possibility I'll like him over her). I think they'll be both good and bad at times. Maybe she's the bad one and he's the secretly good one?

I can't put into words how I feel about this show anymore. I think they're running out of ideas and I'm now only watching because I've invested too much time into it so I might as well see how it ends even if I'm not enjoying it. Nothing will ever top Seasons 1 & 2 at this point, and I think maybe the writers know it.
More+
Flag
Those are not Gina Gershon lips, I don't like Gina very much but I'm liking this blondie. I like the brother too but I didn't find him super handsome (just regularly handsome) though I guess they're not catering to me here anyway. And I don't think they're real villains either. They were interested in the anchor so probably some personal/family stuff with dead people or something. And I lol'ed at the "friend who thinks about me", sad but true.

I was kinda hoping something about Katherine. I know they said she's in hell or something but I'm sorry, the "dragged out of a church" was not closure.

They did kinda mess up the love triangle a while ago, it's not as compelling anymore (it's hardly compelling at all) but I still kinda felt the ending. But they can't milk it much anymore, it really shouldn't be the center of the series, those days are gone.

Travelers kinda like to murder a lot of people, but I don't have a clue what's going on. The whole season has been full of weird plotlines that have suddenly ended (and it's good some of them did) and another thing has emerged. Like the whole damn Augustine and vampire curse seems to be just gone now and it's all about Travelers and the new witch now.

(We don't really have dorms here, I just lived with my parents until I moved out properly.)
More+
Flag
Agreed. Whatever happened to Augustine being a SOCIETY? Just because they caught Wes, doesn't meant the rest of the school that attended that party isn't up to something. Why do these people still attend this psycho school? Honestly if you're not going to seriously investigate and put a stop to the situation, I think you should move out and transfer schools ASAP. Ugh but logic has no place in Mystic Falls or it's Whitmore affiliate, hence the reason we're still dealing with this obsession filled triangle and Caroline is suddenly running off to kill someone who has done nothing to her or her friends. Nope.
Flag
There was that African American woman connected with covering up that girl...uh...what's her name that was Elena's and Caroline's roommate for one episode. ...But then Damon and Enzo killed her. So there were at least two people recently!
Flag
I miss Katherine.
Flag
I don't even know what to say anymore. While I feel like Elena and Damon exploring their toxic relationship and this draw they have is very realistic (I think most girls have been there at least once) it is also very exhausting after all the shit we have been through with them. I hope they do something interesting with it, and don't just make them dysfunctional and leave it at that. I am very on board for the Caroline/Stefan thing that is starting, they seem like a good match and have hella chemistry. I also swore I got a lesbian vibe for a second from Liv/Bonnie, perhaps it was just me. I just wish I didn't feel disappointed by this show on the regular, I tune in all excited to watch TVD expecting it to be as good as it once was, and the episode finishes and I find myself sitting there feeling dissatisfied to the max. Rinse and repeat.
Flag
I haven't watched the few episodes because that's how I felt. Same thing with TO (so much eye rolling), but I'm having seperation anxiety and keep reading the recaps. They're still funny lol
Flag
I cannot fathom all this hate for Elena. She may be too morally upright for some, but isn't Caroline the same, just whinier?

Elena maybe a bit boring, but isn't Bonnie worse?

Elena is the main character of the show - she has to have some amount of levity, unlike the other characters.

Plus, Katherine was interesting only in the first few seasons, probably because she was 100% bad and we got her in small-to-medium doses. This season, where she was on-screen endlessly, she was godawful and whiny and above all, BORING.

Oh yeah, people complain that Elena is boring, but when she uses her head and actually does useful shit (like killing Jesse) or interesting shit (like stabbing Liv), it is ignored/criticized.

So weird.
Flag
True, but Caroline has other good qualities, they just haven't been showing them this much this season. Bonnie HAD decent qualities until they reduced her to a plot device that's only sometimes useful. Elena is like they took the worst of their personalities, combined them and then added self absorbed, martyrdom to the mix. Notice that she turns a lot of convos back to herself even when it shouldn't be possible. If she took two seconds to listen and think about what Katherine said, "There's something I need to do" instead of yapping about herself, she would have put up a fight. Sorry Elena, but accepting your forgiveness when you know damn well Katherine doesn't give a crap, is NOT worth coming back from the dead for. Clearly, she was going to body snatch you. Get your head out of your ass and pay attention!
Flag
If Caroline and Bonnie had good qualities, obviously Elena did as well. In fact, Caroline and Elena has almost the SAME qualities, good and bad. Caroline is simply more whinier, but also has more spunk.

And they are ALL self absorbed, not just Elena. I mean, if Caroline or Stefan had been a tad less self absorbed, they would have realised that Katherine was in Elena's body weeks ago.

Elena is by no means my favourite character, by for viewers/fans to rag on her while giving everyone else a free pass defies logic, IMO.
Flag
I've never really liked Elena because I thought she was boring and most of her attempts at being proactive were too much of a fail for me to get behind. It's gotten worse as the show continued to highlight those qualities that I mentioned earlier. At the same time, I recognize that the other characters are not perfect. Personally I think the entire gang is the worst group of close knit friends I've ever seen because they don't actively protect/watch each other's backs. They're always leaving someone out of the loop which results in said person getting hurt. And they're always sitting around doing their own thing, even after they know people are in trouble, unless it's Elena of course...You know your friend is being raped and facing near death on a daily basis, but you don't make a move to save her right away? Fail. Your friends go missing for months with no contact (or only through emails if your Bonnie) and you don't investigate for months? Weird. Bonnie's learning magic from this random ass guy who just showed up in town and knows her family. It's totally suspicious, none of you trust it, but you let her do it anyway with no interference? Oookay...Matt had his freakin body hijacked and didn't tell anyone right away. What the hell? Say something fool! Oh wait, they probably won't help you until next week anyway...worst group of friends ever.
More +
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
That's because when Elena does useful shit she's crazy as shit. Elena on a regular basis seems to be there just for the relationships of the show. She's such a reactionary character when her humanity's not switched off or she's infected with a killer virus. I don't like the direction they went with Katherine though- even if she had managed to seduce Stefan, would she have lived all of eternity pretending to be elena? A 500 year old vampire, the survivor, I think would know better.
Flag
I agree that they totally ruined Katherine's character.

Yes, Elena is reactionary, but that is the nature of the story. Men follow her, villains follow her, so she has to react. She didn't start the show with any specific goals, except to deal with the death of her parents. Then things keep happening to her. Naturally, she'd be reactionary.

Damon entered the show with a purpose - to release Katherine. Stefan entered with a purpose - to romance Elena. Even Bonnie had her own purpose, which was dealing with being a witch. Elena, Caroline, Tyler, Matt, Jeremy - these are all reactionary characters. Things happen to them, they react.

(Unless one counts the fact that Caroline started the show chasing men as a 'purpose').

At this stage, all the characters are reactionary - Damon, Stefan, Bonnie, Caroline. Even Klaus became reactionary after a while. Only new characters like Nadia (now deceased lol), Enzo or Sloane have independence of thought and movement.

It's not a soap opera with corporate takeovers and questionable parentage pregnancies and the like; they're supernatural creatures, who just want to survive, and shit keeps happening to them.

People bitching out at Elena seems quite strange, especially at this juncture.
More +
Flag
Let's see no annoying Katherine or her vapid daughter that's a plus. Still Caroline's who mother superrior shit is tiresome. Yo Blondie you banged the dude that killed your boyfriend's mom. Sorry that's not the type of shit you walk away from and tell him to get over it. Seriously someone punch her in the face. As for team Delena they are going through a growth spurt. To be honest they are a much more interesting couple than Stephan and Elena ever were. Who knows maybe will get to see some useful characters brought back like Alaric and Grams cause I sure don't give a fuck about these mumbling travelers.
Flag
"This episode was medium-okay, I don't know what to tell you..."
Agree sounds about right...
Flag
am I watching the show wrong or something? I've been reading Price's reviews for a while and his point of view on the show can be quite interesting and intriguing not to mention the photos are quite funny. Everyone seemed to love Katherine but to be honest... I didn't like her that much, I don't enjoy rooting for characters who are complete bitches, I don't think she progressed much in the show either. I enjoy watching characters progress from Bitches to people who aren't too bad but can keep all that sass - that's why I enjoyed Damon's progression so much. But sure, Katherine had her soft spots but she came onto the show and acted like a jerk and she died a real jerk. Also, sure - the whole Damon/Elena/Stefan love triangle is a little boring now but it's practically non-existent right now. Also I don't really get why people hate Elena so much - sure she needs a little more self-control when it comes to the Salvatore brothers but apart from that she's proven to be quite a selfless character who would do anything for her friends. I can see how her naivety can get on people's nerves but she's a nice person generally. I understand that the lovely, selfless pretty face heroine is quite cliché but I wouldn't go so far as hating the character. Anyway, rant over.

Questions:

- Probably something annoying - I'm going to destroy all of these unhappy college students lives just 'cause.

- Kinda yeah.

- Probably have some links to the travellers I have a feeling that they are also the kind who're like "I'm going to destroy all of these unhappy college students lives just 'cause." But then the travellers will double cross them and they'll eventually become BFFs with the gang. Or die.

- No.
More+
Flag
A nice person doesn't look the other way when their boyfriend slaughters a bunch of innocent people.

Damon is pretty much the most evil person that has been on the show (maybe Klaus and Kol).
Flag
What the hell even is the point of Elena's existence. Bring Katherine back.
Flag
i dont watch TVD anymore , but i keep up with reading these reviews. they take only 5-7 minutes and are way more interesting than TVD. Keep them coming price
Flag
Same!
Flag
"Stefan is definitely headed more in the direction of a certain blonde judgey type. So, fingers crossed, things might be moving forward again?"

This is why I'm #TeamStephanAndCaroline. Let's be honest, Caroline is at her best and happiest when she's got somebody to take care of. And unlike Tyler, Stephan seems to genuinely appreciate it. Plus the fact that after Katherine, then being a ripper, then Elana, then being a ripper again, then Elana and Damonthen drowning for 3 months, then Katherine again...dude's got some issues and in the relationship department, Caroline seems awfully low maintenance. Can't believe I just said that, but this isn't season 1 needy Caroline...this is season 5 super cool Caroline.

Caroline makes Stephan better. He cracks jokes even. Stephan makes Caroline better since he likes and appreciates her for HER without any ulterior motives. This needs to happen and stay happening. She and Stephan are the next best thing to Stephan and Lexie. Get together. Stay together. And NEVER EVER even flirt with the idea of he and Elana getting back together.

"Anyway, long story short: I like Luke a lot and I'm so excited about where his plotline might lead. Thank you, TVD. Sincerely."

Don't get too excited. I've been waiting the better part of 5 seasons for a black person (of any significance) who isn't a witch. We finally got one and within a couple episodes, he got turned into a rabbies vapire and was killed. Not sure if this is gonna be the same for gay folks...but figure fair warning was warranted.

Are Liv and Luke good or bad?

At the moment, I don't care. I'm all over the idea of Liv mackin' on Jeremy and making Bonnie VERY uncomfortable.

I get the feeling though that these two are on the opposite side as the travelers. Though what their final goals are...I got nothin'
More+
Flag
I don't even watch the show anymore but this came across my dash and I had to share. What's wrong with these writers? Do they remember ANYTHING that has happened before?

Credit - X
Flag
LMAO elena. it's funny bc we missed her when she was gone, but now that she's back it's like we remember why we were happy she was gone in the first place! UGH. hate that immature little bitch. let's have stefan for ourselves, please?
Flag
I didn't miss her when she was gone.
Flag
LOL xD
Flag
Price.... you regress just as much as this T.V. show does. I'm a big fan of your reviews... but I tell you, your hot and cold about this show as much as these characters are hot and cold about each other. There were times when you hated Elena. Then you loved her. There were times when you thought this show did weird things that didn't (naturally) add up, but you let it pass, saying that this is typical of TVD, but now (and before... almost like a cycle) your saying these weird and odd things shouldn't be happening, and hence degrading this show.

When I view this show, I don't focus on the insane details that would of course never happen in real life.... but more about the setting that was given and accept that these conditions are considered acceptable in the TVD world.

As for this episode... what exactly were you expecting? Cause and effect, Price! People wanted Katharine and they got Katharine. Now she's gone, and Elena is back, there has to be an episode where they deal with that fall out.

I mean the only reason Stephan stashed elena in the school is so that Luke can be introduced. How else were they gonna do it? Focusing on details like the logic behind stashing Elena in her school as opposed to the lockwood cellar, or any other basement in mystic falls, would be the tip of the iceberg of inconsistencies.

I LOVE TVD. I love the relationships behind it. I mean I grew bored as hell with the stephan-elena relationship... but the show is growing. I thought that Elena showed tremendous growth in the confrontation she had with Dameon. She rightfully blamed Dameon for the blunders he committed... but did you even give her credit for that? You claim you don't care... but like a lunar cycle, you'll be back into full swing with these two characters. No need to push their storyline down just cause you're not feeling it right at this moment....
More+
Flag
She wasn't going to blame Damon -- she was preparing to defend him -- until he forced her to admit her feelings. I say Damon showed more growth than Elena did. He's the one who initiated the break-up and he's the one who first said they were "toxic".
Flag
She was defending him because its in her nature to try and see the good in people or find justifiable reasons to excuse her friends and based on her record, particularly her boyfriends. She's not blind to his faults, she just justifies them.
He initiated the break up because he was easily manipulated into thinking he's a monster or killer. Personally, that doesn't seem very Deamon like to me. To be so easily manipulated especially after everything he went through to BE with Elena. It seemed more like a forced conflict to stir up the waters in the Elena-Deamon relationship.
As for "growth" in regards to Deamon.... the last two episodes went out of there way to make Deamon come off as a naive child with low self esteem issues, throwing a tantrum just because someone from his past told him he was a monster and monsters don't change their spots. This was of course coming from Enzo, the #1 bitterest vampire who's been tortured and isolated for decades. So color me shocked when Deamon took every word to heart and then broke up with Elena.
And then when Katharine gave him the slip, what did he do? Did he act mature? Did he act like any real person who had just been dumped? No. He goes on a killing spree and goes out of his way to kill HER friend and threaten the life of her brother. How is this growth? How is this anything but a tantrum? Its not even relatable on any level! It just made no sense at all. It would have been more real if he got stupid drunk and slept around with other women.
Nah... i think the writers attempted for some dramatic flare. unfortunately, it was poorly thought out. But oh well... actings good, story's entertaining, and it is JUST television.... lol....
More +
Flag
At this point, I think we're debating between "bad" and "worse", TBH. I hate how the writers are treating every single character on this show.
Flag
"Like a lunar cycle"

Bahahahahahahahahahaha - so funny!!! I think I fell off my chair laughing.

Also, so true.
Flag
I haven't watched in such a long time because I lost interest. I do love Damon and Elena but I agree Damon was developing as a character but they keep regressing. I think they are listening to the fans too much. They want to please them so they listen to them saying they love badass Damon so this is why it's all schizophrenic. They had Damon become more human and kind and then they wanted to keep his edge too...... it's not working but they are running out of ways to keep the drama. Most of it makes no sense.
Flag
Definitely! It seems like so much is for the fans. I could have sworn that Stefan was meant to be the endgame in the beginning, and it feels like the writers changed their minds because Damon was so popular. And I prefer snarky Damon as much as the next person, but he can't be that and evil and happy and with Elena. All of that doesn't work together. Anyway, yes, they shouldn't have listened to fans so much. But at this point, I couldn't possibly care what happens with Elena and Damon.
Flag
I definitely preferred Damon's character when he had unrequited romantic feelings for Elena. He was so perfectly angsty, miserable, and snarky. He reminded me of Spike, who never received Buffy's love (and knew it) but continued to love her all the same while being a bad-ass. Since Damon "got the girl" he's become so boring. :( That could be because the writers don't know how to write him, or because, as you say, snarky-evil-happy-with-Elena doesn't mix together.
Flag
I happen to like em together but I liked kind Damon but the killing of Aarons family came outta nowhere. Anyway the last statement is correct they don't
Flag
I *definitely* am enjoying seeing some new characters (Enzo, Liv & Luke). Hopefully, they won't be as boring & pointless as Wes & Aaron turned out to be. Having said that, The Travelers bore me to tears with their huddle-yammering & alleged mysterious intentions. I say alleged cuz I almost fell asleep typing this about them. Don't care, send them on, please. Ditto for the doppelganger business. Enough! Give us a chance to miss it already.
I am weary of all the judgment that is piled on Damon by the other vampires as well. Yes, he's a monster...but THEY ARE ALL MONSTERS. I think Stefan may have made that point once (last season, maybe?), but nobody remembers that, it seems. I wish they would stop acting like Damon is the only one who has ever killed/tricked/used someone. Drives me crazy!
I really love Stefan & Caroline's friendship and hope they keep it. A platonic relationship would be much more interesting to me than yet another hookup in their circle of friends.
I liked when Elena put on her "game face" & vamped out. They don't vamp out enough on this show!

Flag
Ok, so we are back to the moaning and crying Elena...so sad...as Kat she was awesome...!! I mean how many roles has she played in all this seasons...you have to give Nina a big respect to change from one person to the other...
Anyway....then she got all crazy and almost killed the new witch in town and got out. Of course Damien was the one to stop her and talk some sense into her..
I agree with a lot of people in this review that the storyline is getting weirder and weirder....liking the Travellers and Liv & Luke...Anzo is also a very good assit...that spice up things a bit...hope they stay..
Wonder very much what Liv and Luke are up too...love that he is gay!!!!
Flag
Great recap Price, very funny.
This show is a mess. They have no idea what they're doing.
Having said that, I do love Liv, Luke and Enzo. I hope they stick around. And if Bonnie happened to fall off the face of the earth too, that would be great!
One more thing, please don't make Stefan and Caroline a thing! God, this group is incestuous!
Flag
I totally agree about the Stefan/Caroline thing - then there would be three girls both brothers had slept with. It's getting ridiculous. Also, it's so hard for shows or movies to give us a strictly platonic male/female best friend scenario. They really nailed it with Stefan and Lexi, and I was super proud. I LOVE Caroline and Stefan's friendship, and I hope it stays that way.
Flag
Me too! They were doing great at that. Not every important relationship in your life needs to be based on love and sex jeez. Steroline friendship is amazing because Caroline is an only child so she never had a big brother. All the male relationships in her life haven't turned out too good, but having a platonic relationship with a guy she knows she can count on is important, especially since she's going need help figuring out her eternity. And for Stefan, he only survived most of the first century and some change because of Lexi, he'll need a bond like that to continue forward otherwise he'll brood too damn much. He needs someone who makes him have fun, but he doesn't have to date her.
Flag
Hear hear. Stefan brings out the best in Caroline, and (no offense to Elena), I think Caroline brings out the best in Stefan. Hell, he even told a joke! I don't want them to lose that because the writers insist on everyone hooking up.
Flag
To people complaining about this blog post and its negative comments and are telling people to stop watching the show if they don't like it: WHAT?!
Why don't YOU stop reading Price's photo recaps and the comments if people's criticizing upsets you so much? This is the internet, and this website is a place where people can come together to DISCUSS their favorite TV shows! And believe it or not, most people complaining about the show are longtime fans who have been disappointed in it lately, like me. If you've not been upset with the show, that's alright! But don't keep telling people who are talking about it in a negative manner to 'stop watching' or that you're 'tired' of seeing their comments.
It's such a silly thing to be annoyed about, I know. But I just had to express my viewpoint here to get it off my chest. Because that's what comments are for! Expressing viewpoints! Who woulda thought???
If you disagree with me, tell me why. I'd genuinely love to know what you think.
Flag
I still remember how, after ten seasons of Klaus being the most powerful vampire on Earth, was haunted by the NEWEST MOST POWERFUL ENEMY (Also a vampire) they had ever faced before just to be killed after... Three episodes?
Flag
Hmmm, totally agree with you Price. But you're still more optimistic than me about this show. At this moment in time, I just had enough of TvD. I'm gonna watch it until the end of the season, but if they do not produce a decent enough cliffhanger, that'll be it for me I'm afraid.
It's just always the same over and over again. Stelena, Delena, whatever-elena....
The Travelers... don't really care right now. Not until they make more sense about their prime motive. Hunting doppelgangers? Next!
Liv and Luke... could be an interesting pair. I like the fact that she actually appears very knowledgeable and strong. And he's openly gay so good for him! Don't really care either way, but I agree that the hetero-gay balance isn't quite there in TV world, so yeah. Good decision.
But you know, Will and Grace was great (until season 5 or so). We even have Simpsons characters outing themselves, even though they weren't fooling anyone from day 1. ;-). And think of Chandler what you will, but they could've easily made him gay if they would've opted for Phoebe and Joey to be the second main couple after Ross & Rachel. But no, they pussied out and Chandler ended up with Monica. Although they keep reminding viewers through the entire series. Right up until they even think Monica's a man. 'Nough said? Sorry, got my Friends-geek on.

See you in the next, bye!

More+
Flag
I agree with pretty much everything. I haven't watched the last few episodes, but I keep reading the reviews. Eventually I'll probably stop that too. The Travelers still sound blah to me. I mean really? You're entire mission was to kill the doppelgangers? You had to possess Matt for that? And Caroline and Enzo are just going to go kill the Stefan look a like? OOC for our blonde and I hope they don't take the lame route and use this as a way to get Steroline together like, "OMG Stefan he had your face, I saw you die! It made me realize I love you!!" Bah! At least this answers our question about this generation's Stefan though, but at this point, who cares anymore. They dragged everything our so much and left it riddled with so many holes that just hearing the "D" word makes my eyes wanna roll out of their sockets.

I loved the Friends geek out! lol so true.
Flag
I'm gonna start saying the episode was really good for me, moving the plot forward. Just now I understand I was really suffering the stillness of the Katherine situation. So...

... What are the Travelers up to?

My, I really don't know, but I think what Sloan said about the doppelgangers made sense. First, thank god the introduced the paramedic Stefan, it gives some order in the Silas-Amara mess. So finally we know Stefan wasn't meant for Elena, cronologically speaking.
So, Travelers basically use Circle Magic? Weird that Price never said anything about it :D

... Do you still care about Damon and Elena's relationship?

Actually I still do a little, I feel their romance hasn't had a real chance. Elena is still choosing whether she should change herself for the man she loves, until that process isn't over, nor can their love.

... Are Liv and Luke good or bad?

It's pretty clear they're bad, but I hated how they introduced Luke. It would have been the same thing if he just said "Hey, look at me, I'm so gay, and evil too, this show is so progressive". I don't recall Danny ever saying "I'm gay I'm gay I'm gay" like that...
When was the last time we had villain witches? This could be interesting.

... Have you ever stayed alone in an empty dorm during spring break? I have! It was actually really fun, but this isn't about me, it's about you, so have you?

Never lived in a dorm, I guess it could be lot of fun!
More+
Flag
I LOVE your reviews; for me they're better than the show right now. I laugh out loud at them.....excellent. :)
Flag
Soo..Wes,the guy who wanted the entire race of vampires to go extinct by his ripper virus and ripper virus pro left antidotes for both in his lab?
Cool.
Flag
I thought the travelers produced the antidotes...but then I wasn't really paying attention.
Flag
In case he was infected?
Flag
Fat chance,even if the vampire-hating evil scientist was turned into a vampire and infected,I'd assume he'd kill himself than stay alive as a vampire.
Flag
Yes i STILL care about Damon & Elena......i love that they have a freakin completely dysfunctional relationship in every sense of the word :)

The SL about the 'Travellers' is finally getting interesting

I totally loved Stefan & Caroline's coats but i'd really she rather hook-up with Enzo. maybe Stefan can get with Liv or Sloane

Enzo is my fave 'new' character this season because he's just totally mysterious. i can't figure out if he's good, bad or indifferent
Flag
I agree with you about Enzo, I'm starting to like his active/maybe evil maybe not behaviour!
Flag
I totally love Enzo now :) & i think him & Caroline have awesome chemistry together! I like how he doesn't take her bitchy attitude like everyone else does. He totally tells her off and left her kind of speechless. Not many people are capable of doing that with Caroline, so i totally loved it
Flag
Hope they don't try a new love triangle though!
Flag
The episode was OKAY which is actually an improvement so yay show- I am mildly excited to see where the show is going.

Elena's return was as predictable as I expected it would be. If Elena wants to judge Damon for murdering Aaron then maybe she should occupy her thoughts to that poor waitress she killed last season but nothing will come from Aaron's murder just like nothing ever comes when an innocent is brutally killed by a so called good character.

With that said- I am totally excited about Luke/Liv. I am totally hoping we get another Anna/Pearl situation from these two. I still remember Anna's journey from so called villain to sympathetic hero. Hopefully these two get a unique storyline and a memorable journey like Anna's because these two actors are likeable enough to pull it off.
Flag
Yes! That annoys me so much! It seems like Stefan/Elena/Caroline can kill/use/maim whoever they want, because it's always a "good reason" or it's "not [their] fault." But if it's Damon? We have to agonize over it and wonder if he's worthy of everyone's continued love and grace. Caroline is about to go murder that doppelganger, in cold blood, to "save" Stefan. There's little consideration about the right/wrongness of it or if there's another way THAN DOESN'T INVOLVE THE MURDER OF AN INNOCENT. yet, Caroline was bitching about Damon murdering Aaron earlier in the ep! *holds fingers to temples*
it's so crazy to me that they are ALL MONSTERS but only Damon is treated like one. Boooo! :)
Flag
Because Elena, Stefan, Caroline, Bonnie, Jeremy are in the Good camp.
Damon, Tyler, Wes are in the Bad camp.

Haven't you been paying attention to what the writers of TVB are trying to instill? :P
Flag
I forgot Enzo. He's in the Bad camp too.
Flag
Like some have said, these reviews and comments are just so negative! If you don't like the show, don't watch it. Life is too short to spend time on something you thinks is stupid and boring.
Flag
Something I have to get off my chest...They really, really ruined the whole Delena thing. It could have been awesome just hanging out there as something they wanted but could never really have...instead the writers thought they needed to be something as mundane as "boyfriend and girlfriend". Ugh!
Flag
This comment was meant for the people that just come on here to say that they think the show is stupid, not for the people that are dissecting it and airing their frustrations about how an awesome show is really getting the shaft by the writers. I get that. Maybe I just want to read some positive things every once and awhile :(
Flag
We do like this show- that's why we are total dicks when the show produces a story/episode/character that could be much better because we've invested so much of our short lives into watching it for five years. As fans, we evolve to a point where we can be critical but still love the show.
Flag
Staff
Ok bye
Flag
1. Don't know, could be something about their master plan in case Silas eventually died which may be to destroy the veil considering they have left Bonnie alone yet protected Amara by travelling with her for 2000 years.

2. No and I hope more fans and viewers start to find their stupid relationship less interesting, it drains the life of the show. Throw in Stefan and Elena's relationship, just stop with it.

3. GOOD. Finally some twists. I hope Liv steals Jeremy and shits all over Bonnie, maybe throw in some curses and lore as well. Why was season 2 the best? Right, because Katherine, Originals and lore. This show seriously needs more lore!

Overall I agree about the hallucinations, they were abused, at least as you say flashbacks have happened and they fill in important background story that can be tough or expensive to do in the present (see originals about travelling the world). The diaries is fine if they actually bring something concrete to the table, I actually had hoped Katherine had written down some juicy like she had been secretly eating Jeremy or Matt but compelling them not say anything or perhaps a secret agenda of how she could increase she survivability but no, some rambling about taking over Elena's life and her oh so boring ambitions for Stefan. Knowing this show's future about contuning aboring relationships it was actually a good thing to kill off Katherine, I rather have the memory of her scheming days then her pathetic attempt to win over Stefan, that was really poor writing.

Also, Sloan is not their leader, Markos is and this was mentioned by both Sloan and Enzo I believe. I suppose Sloan is the middle man, go-to girl if you need anything but Markos keeps track of their overall agenda and future. You know, I never like hierarchies based upon feudalism because they leave out individualism which makes story telling boring, all about organizations and such nonsense. I hope Sloan will get independent story regardless of how she is the Travellers because Markos will likely die, they will build him up to the next villain perhaps against Liv and Luke or maybe whoever they answer if they do.
More+
Flag
Apart from the new elements with the travelers and Luke, this episode was generally lousy. It became a real chore to watch and Elena's hallucinations bored me silly. I feel like I'm going off the show.
Flag
I know that there's nothing from the book series in the TV series but I still can't help hoping that they'll borrow some element. And in the books there actually is an evil sibling duo... Guess we'll just have to wait and see...
Flag
I almost wish that the entire show would just move to Australia so that Rebakah could remain in our lives. I miss her so much.
Flag
I love you for that boxcar children reference.
Flag
"You put me in a place where I have to bend my morals... AGAIN". Excuse me, what morals? This is coming from the girl who in the same day nearly turned a guy just to feed on him and also impaled a witch as a bargaining chip. Never mind all of the things she's done in the past (eg. killing off Kol's entire blood line or immediately killing Jesse).

I'm not really surprised about Caroline being willing to kill off a doppelganger for the sake of Stefan. She'd do anything for her friends, and she has made this same call in the past.

This episode was very annoying and I found myself rolling my eyes more than usual. I also was annoyed by how it played over Damon being the first one to really suspect something when he had said to Stefan that Elena wanted Stefan to stake Damon. He may not have figured it out entirely, but he knew something was up.

Either way, this season has been all over the place and I'm hoping it gets better.
Flag
I kind of justify Elena in this episode because she was going crazy. But yes, her killing Kol was what really made me realize that her moral already bent, and she was still human!
I'm not entirely sure Caroline is going to kill the doppelganger, you know?
Flag
I'm not sure on that, either. Maybe she'll find a way around it, but if it comes down to his life or Stefan's, I'm sure she'll choose Stefan
Flag
The first thing I thought was that she wanted to go to stop Enzo from killing an innocent, while coming up with some plan
Flag
Used to be the first thing I did after a TVD episode was run straight to your photo recap. I'd be in bed, working hard not to wake the hubby while laughing my butt off. Now, I drag myself over, hoping that your recap might be funny again and you won't write 1000 Words about how much you hate the show. As I've made the decision to stop reading this blog because it's not the same anymore, you might want to consider doing yourself the same favor in regards to TVD. Just let it go because your negativity does nothing but inspire more. Don't like the show? Stop watching it and writing about it.
Flag
Most of us are getting less and less impressed with the storytelling/character's motivations and morals, etc. Price gets a lot of crap from some people on his Teen Wolf photo recaps because they think he puts too positive a spin on things. I don't know, I guess he's just being honest about how he feels about the shows. And ever since a few weeks ago when he was sick and just gave us the photos to caption, I've had an even greater respect for these recaps. I swear, I couldn't think of a single funny things for any of the pictures. . . and I could have sworn I'm kinda funny! Anyway, my point is pretty much the same as your point. If you don't like the recaps, stop reading them.
Flag
I appreciate your comments. And I certainly get that many people are unhappy with the show in general. I certainly have my issues with aspects of it. My disappointment with this blog in particular is the consistency of the negativity, especially considering how positive and fun it used to be. I certainly never call into question Price's talent, as you mentioned, just captioning the photos with something resembling humor truly requires talent and a high level of sarcasm, which Price has in droves.

I know quite a few, once die hard, fans that have just stopped watching the show, which in my opinion is the harder road to take when one has invested so much time, love and energy into a show and its fandom. What I see here-and many other places- is negatively breeding negativity from great people who've just stopped liking a show they once loved. We've all been there, where someone says something negative or gossipy about another person or situation and before you know it everyone is trying to outdo the other as they slam the object of their discussion. Sadly, that's what I see happening here.

Madelynn, I hope that the show improves for you down the road. I thought this most recent episode was fantastic and took us back to the basic elements of what made TVD so wonderful.
More +
Flag
Staff
Ok bye
Flag
"spraaaang breaaak" lmfao i died. i do that too
Flag
I liked this episode more than the last few but that’s like saying the plane is no longer heading toward that mountain, we’re just in a tailspin. The show has stabilized somewhat with it’s glimpses of plots to come. I liked that the travelers were back, but not what they were doing. I really don’t want there to be more doppelgangers out there. It just reminds us all of the Silas storyline and trust me that’s the last thing the writers want to do.

So Stefan’s other doppelganger is a paramedic and Caroline and Enzo (once again why is he still alive?) are going to kill him because apparently doppelgangers are just like Highlander, There can be only one. I’m sure that 90’s reference went over about 90% of the listeners heads. For I am the king of obscure pop culture references of old. But really are they actually gonna kill this guy? In cold blood? For the Travelers and you don’t even know why? Since when is this something Caroline goes along with? I know she was trying to save Stefan but still. I’m worried that they have Caroline going along with this but I’m gonna hold out judgement until I see how this plays out.

I love the plot contrivance in this story where right before Wes died he made an antidote. Why? If his goal was to wipe out the Vampires then why make a easy way to reverse his sure fire weapon? Makes no sense.

I’m already annoyed with the witch and her brother. I don’t know what it is but I started to not like her character when she was hitting on Jeremy. Now they have some sweeping clandestine plot. I just don’t care.

I could’ve done without all of the flashbacks. We get it your friends are idiots for not knowing it wasn’t you. The audience as a whole has been screaming that at their screens ever since Katherine’s excursion into Elena land. Hmm that sounded a bit dirty.(mind wanders to places that most men dare not dream of…) Speaking of if we gotta have doppelgangers let’s have one (or three) of Caroline. I feel like this has gone ever so slightly off the rails. Annnd I’m back. I felt thoroughly bored during the flashback/hallucination scenes. It felt like they were just there to pad out the hour. They didn’t tell us anything that a 2 minute conversation with Damon and Stefan couldn’t have.

As for Damon and Elena themselves I really need Elena to stop talking about how bad Damon is and how she’s bending her morals to be with him. When almost everyone on the show including the “good” characters have killed from a handful to dozens to thousands of people then bad becomes relative wouldn’t you agree? Elena is not the pure, naive, human girl she once was. Well she’s still naive but the rest went out the window long ago. You can’t keep acting like you don’t have blood on your hands. She’s looking down on Damon from her moral high ground, this from the girl who killed off an entire bloodline of vampires and then the next week was just chillin at the prom, not a care in the world. That whole Damon is corrupting her argument is one that needs to stop.

TVD writers this season seem to really want to take characters and revert them back to their earlier selves like with Damon for example, thing is with all the character development that's not possible without it not making sense. So we have this schizophrenic Damon that goes from lovable one liners to vicious at the drop of a hat and it isn’t working.

Also why the hell was Katherine keeping a diary of everything she was doing as Elena? And where was she keeping it? Once again not a lick of sense.

There was a good amount of Stefan and Caroline being cute in this episode which is always nice. There's two people i’d willingly watch make eyes at each other. Steroline4lyfe haha

All in all I liked this episode more than the last but with the low quality of Season 5 that’s still deep in the hole. TVD Season 5 in particular just seems aimless like it’s grasping at disparate ideas that could be interesting if they chose a few and fleshed them out properly, but the writing isn’t good enough to realize that potential. I know deep right. I have my moments. Like last time I sign off hoping that these plots ramp up into something entertaining enough to sustain the back half of the 5th season. At least enough to make us forget about the first half.
More+
Flag
I find it totally in-character for Caroline (and everyone else) to agree to do this stuff with no information at all. They always do this and it's like they never learn from any of it.

Last year they knew that Shane was yammering on about Silas but at no point did they make any effort to actually try to figure out what was going on and who Silas was and what he wanted. They just had Jeremy killing a bunch of vampires to get the cure for Elena and then Elena didn't even take it the entire season ended up being a total waste of time with a lot of pointless death that could have easily been avoided if they'd probably questioned Shane and figured out that what all was going on.

In Season 3 they were stupidly opening up Esther's coffin to let her out without having any idea what her end-game was (or what was even in the casket). As it turned out she wanted to rid the world of vampires but then they decided they needed to live so they had to stop her and ended up turning Bonnie's mother into a vampire. All of the Season 3 drama could have been avoided if they had ever bothered to sit back and actually think things through instead of charging ahead without having a clue as to what they were doing.
More +
Flag
You said fine twice in a row
Deal w/ it

lol
Flag
omg..you crack me up..seriously i always look forward to ur review than the actual episode!!! lol
Flag
The show hasn't been its best this season but it's still enjoyable to watch, at least in my opinion. Everyone seems to want to apply real life rules to a show about vampires, werewolves and supernatural creatures. If everyone on here thinks it's so bad, stop watching. It's got one more year left. Stop watching and find another show that you enjoy. What a miserable lot. Price, used to love your reviews but ever since you came back you just come across as bitter and not liking your job. Sorry the other thing didn't work out but come on. I won't be coming here anymore, too much negativity about everything. Peace out!
Flag
I find myself complaining a lot, but I continue watching it like a little hypocrite. I'm in love with the characters, just not what they are doing at the moment or where they are going. I understand that reading negativity about a television show that you enjoy can be really tiring, and I apologize because I am one of those people.
Flag
Haha yea so much negativity in the comments. But prices recaps are still pretty funny.
Flag
I was confused about how the dopplegangers work. But obviously it doesn't need to be a direct bloodline. We know stefan had a half brother who went on to have kids, so assuming he is one of those distant relatives that you're bound to accumulate after 100+ years, he is still in the blood line, even if not a direct descendant. Which means does Isobel have siblings? Did her parents? If it can work off siblings, not just a direct line from doppleganger to doppleganger, isn't there literally hundreds of possibilities in the world. Is there even a rule that it has to be a bloodline? I'm still confused. Maybe Stefan had a secret kid. That would be cool. Or maybe there just needs to be no other living doppelgangers, and the travellers will do something to make sure there never are again.
Flag
Relatives don't have the same genes, unless we're talking about identical twins, and doppelgangers look even more alike than identical twins. So they're probably getting their genes changed by magic, and if that's the case, there's no need for them to be relatives.
Flag
If that's the case then the chances of Katherine and Elena being related is ridiculous. And they've given the impression that it runs in the family, because Klaus was keen for Elena to stay human so she could have kids and there'd be more dopplegangers. And the Originals thought there were no more doppelgängers because Katherine didn't have kids (so they thought).
Flag
Wait... when did we find out Stefan had a half-brother? Did I miss that, because I don't recall that.

Flag
Well neither Stefan nor Damon had kids, so Zach had to have come from somewhere. And I remember an episode where Stefan explains about his dad and a maid, or something like that. Because they had to go back for his funeral, and someone was killing founders. I don't remember the details, but it was in there somewhere.
Flag
Staff
I would sit and try to figure out the doppelganger rules but I would fall asleep over and over
Flag
I used to think Delena were really hot on screen, and when they FINALLY hooked up in season 4 (Episode 7, I think) I thought they steamed up the whole scene!
But now....I think the fact that they've broken up in real life is reflecting VERY strongly in all their scenes together. The chemistry just isn't there anymore. I get a bit embarrased just watching them fake it! Perhaps the writers should take a hint and just write them scenes where they don't have to be together as much...
Flag
I think you're right. As good as actors as they both are - and they really are good! - they have far less chemistry now than when they were a couple in real life.

But I also think it's what has become of Elena. She used to be good, loving, someone who cared about her family and friends. She could be whiny but she still had a heart. Since she became a vampire she's just gotten worse and worse, becoming so completely self-absorbed it's almost funny. Like her hallucination of Damon and Stefan fighting over her and what Price said, what an Elena-like hallucination to have! Every single situation is all about her.
Flag
Sorry, Price, I have to totally disagree with you. Luke is already awful.
He is not a gay character, he is a *token* gay character. There's a huge difference.

Leaving aside the fact that he'll probably turn out to be a villain and die VERY SOON (comparing to Caroline's dad is spot on), even if he sticks around, he will never really have an onscreen boyfriend and they sure as heck won't give him any shirtless hugs the way the others get.

This is TVD, not Teen Wolf.
Flag
Staff
"Awful" is not a great word in this situation, sorry.
Flag
She wanted to turn him into a vampire! Which, honestly, I was okay with mostly because it would immediately make Luke more powerful (and thus safer from future murders).

Yeah... That worked so well for Vicki or Jessie.
Don't you know that minor characters getting vamped usually means they are dead on this show?
Flag
actually Vicki was a main character in the first part of season 1.Kayla Ewell was part of the main cast until she got killed off.Julie decided to kill her off for some reason which Kevin wasn't happy about because he liked Vicki
Flag
Wasn't she killed in the pilot episode? I'm pretty sure that it was in one of the first three. She came back in various forms after that, but still, she died VERY early. I remember that I was a bit annoyed by that, because she was the only character I liked in those first few episodes.
Flag
Vicki died in episode 7.Damon turned her into a vampire in episode 6.then in the next episode,Stefan killed her because she was about to attack Elena.They covered it up by having Damon compel Jeremy to believe Vicki left town
Flag
OK, thanks. I'm surprised that it was that late.
Flag
My point was that she got killed shortly after turning into a vampire.
That didn't exactly make her safe.
Flag
I see
Flag
Yeah this show. Wow. So okay...Was anyone else expecting Caroline to go all season 2 on us and kill the circle of Travellers? I was fully expecting that after Sloan wouldn't let up on Stefan. I don't think Caroline is actually planning on killing the newest doppelganger, I think she just lied to get them to stop frying Stefen's head. Theres no way she's just down with killing an innocent all nonchalant.

Elena was probably the most annoying I've ever seen her. And usually Nina Debrev is a good enough actress, but wow this episode had her grabbing her hair and sighing A LOT, no? I mean it was so repetitive. Then again it could've just been the writing. I mean really? Ten different hallucination scenes? That added nothing to the bigger story. Blah

Matt=dumbest character on the show. I mean really c'mon dude he's trying to bait you, haveyou eve met Damon? Who by the way is slowly becoming my least favorite character. I mean dude just does whatever he wants and people forgive him why? Cuz of his witty banter? Getting old. Plus Elena just rewards whatever evil he does (cuz he was DUMPED by the way) with banging him, which, after admitting shes tossing out her morals, is supposed to what? Make us feel for them somehow? Not even.

Travellers are boring. Bonnie's being used by the witch twins, which I'm actually excited for. Plus Rebekah mention! God I miss her
More+
Flag
Good review. 100 percent agree with you about Delena. I' do not are about them and I am tired of the continuous excuses of why they are good together. They do bring out the worst in each other, it is said and proved repeatedly this season. That is the reason it took time to differentiate between Elena and Katherine. And Elena telling Stefan and Damon that it is Katherine who wants to create misunderstandings between them was so far off the mark, she should have a look at the mirror and her decisions before she makes that comment. I don't know why but Stefan apparently forgave Damon and Elena and now rooting for Delena like every other character in the show. Do not break Delena every few episodes to catch up with morality and then make both the character look pathetic. This Elena should remain far off from Stefan. Damon and Elena perfectly deserve each other's company. They mirror each other in their actions and words. It is not cute. I am actually having fun watching how much they make each other miserable so go on with them Julie plec.
Flag
I remember when The Vampire Diaries had a consistent story line. Where there was one main big bad that scared everyone, and that they were the sole focus of the main red line. But this season started of bad because, in reality, season four was already slipping. The story lines are all over the place, the relationships are messy and everyone is loosing interest, and loosing it fast. I wasn't even upset when Katherine died, or Nadia, or anyone else. In fact... I could have done with just a simple clean cut getaway death instead of this "traveler inside someone's head" business.

I think this episode only proved that The Vampire Diaries should be setting a finish line for themselves. Because, truthfully, as much as I love Damon... I am done watching him be this guy. And I'm done waiting for Stefan and Caroline to hook up. And I am done waiting for these story lines to get better. I am done with plot holes and characters who are only used as players of the Elena Gilbert chess game. Bonnie deserves better, ladies and gentleman. Let's just, build it a casket and put this show to rest already. Wow, there, that feels much better.
More+
Flag
I remember when The Vampire Diaries had a consistent story line
When the heck was that?
Flag
Seasons 1/2/3 we ALL great.

Season 4, is where it all went to hell. They had to strip away everything from Elena ... her free will, her compassion, her humanity ... and they went ahead and they turned her into Damon 2.0 to make Delena happen.

Now everything is about Delena and propping Delena and everyone is kissing Damon or Elena's ass. (excuse my language)

No decent storyline, Damon and Elena are never held accountable for anything and nothing ever is their fault ...
Flag
ugh no edit button.

I meant to say Seasons 1/2/3 were all great.
Flag
The first three seasons were really spot on, at least they were in my opinion. But that's the thing with opinions, they can differ.
Flag
While I will agree that this show wasn't as bad as it is now, the first 3 seasons had more retcons then I can possibly count.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members