A The Vampire Diaries Community
Friday 8:00 PM on The CW
I just had an epiphany.

Lemme explain, and please bear with me. And please don't stake me for this discussion.

What if the frustratingly, annoyingly unreasonable and complicated dance of relationship is actually based upon a logical lore of many other established mythology regarding the Vampirism?

The actors are beyond young adult now, but they portray characters who have been turned into a vampire in their young pre-adult years (Not quite young adults but not teens anymore. Somewhere from 19-23 YO).

As anyone can recall from their own experience or even observe anyone around them from this age group, these years are "baby" years when one contemplates profusely on their goals, meaning of life, the universe, psychology, society, relationships and many more things all of which isn't necessarily the need of the hour.

This show concentrate one one aspect of that over-brooding - Romance. Tweens are very serious, many time too serious about the relationships without having clear ideas about the hardships of marriage, family-making and general social courtesies. Having a clear goal and understanding what they truly desire is very tough. Tweens generally sway between two highly desirable aspects.

In the real world these formative years pass and tweens mature into young adults understanding the way the world works. They are wary, judgmental, decisive and know the art of fixing a goal.

The Salvatore brothers signify the "two" aspects which have equal weight on Elena's scales. Damon is obsessive and Stefan is Passive about common desire -Elena.

Now the dance occurs because they all have been frozen into a perpetual desire pattern which can never be erased by simply learning new experience.

Many Vampire myths states that vampires are essentially locked into their youth (face, brain, mind, thought included) and while they learn experience, those locked emotions overpower their every action.

Elena was turned into a Vampire in such a crucial moment of her life that she will never be free from dual attraction which existed in her formative tween. Since she's essentially trapped being immortal and all, she will continue her dance for the affection of both Salvatore.

This is however my personal opinion and Psychoanalysis. The writers are either very clever or outright dumb or may be too afraid of loosing ratings or being attacked by rabid shippers.

You can also say that it was my straw grasp to define some sense or logic for the killing of logic that occurs in this show on weekly basis. I admire this show for many other things such as intricate stories (even they they are full of holes, they are fun nonetheless), my staple for supernatural entertainment and of course beautiful people. But even then I can defend and overlook the murder of logic and beating the dead horse for so long as I have the capacity to. It is filling up fast. For the sake of Bermuda Triangle (For me this swaying Romance is more horrific than the mysterious BT) writers skip explanations or developments, ret-con previous platforms, churn out inconsistent stories, destroy character development and I dread the day when I will effectively delete it from my beloved list of shows.

May that day never manifest!

BTW: The heading of this discussion was influenced by the phrase "Dance of Inanna". Inanna was the Sumerian Goddess of Sex, Lust and Love like Aphrodite. She lusted after young, strong and beautiful men who generally surrendered themselves before her. She was very promiscuous and never tried to remain faithful to one man, even her spouse Dumuzi(d). She loved to incite war and her wrath in the battlefied was termed the terrible "Dance of Inanna".

Edit: "The actors are beyond young adult now, but they portray characters who have been turned into a vampire in their early tweens." - I misunderstood the meaning of the word 'tween'. I was notified duly and thank all that pointed that out. I apologize for any misunderstanding that was caused.
45 Comments
Comments (45)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
It would be interesting if TVD took on an Anne Rice take on young vampires. Becoming mad/insane over the centuries because they are so mentally old, yet stuck in young bodies.

Katherine, for one, would have been a great person to display that with. She's so old and has a one drive mind (stay alive/ahead), that in a way she has been twisted by time and was slightly crazy because of it.

It would cause the show to take on a more existential look at the characters lives. They briefly did that with Caroline's Birthday/Funeral episode. That what was the point of having a birthday anymore? she was going to be 18 or 19 forever, and what did that mean to her?

It's a more intellectual approach that TVD is capable of, although they stay away from, unfortunately. They could greatly benefit from exploring a deeper meaning in what being a "vampire" is going to mean to these kids.
Flag
I don't think "frozen mind/feelings" is a characteristic of all vampires (certainly not for Ann Rice's), but you could say it is in this show. I'm not sure it is intentional, though.
Flag
Well they did say that when you become a vampire your feelings/emotions become amplified... wait.. umm.. was this show.. ?? lol. All Vampire mythology is blending ;)
Flag
Nice thoughts, but i guess eventually it's simply that we've seen every side of Elena's character. Vampire, human, nice, bad, saving and beeing saved; we've seen her with Stefan as well as with Damon.
Even though I think a person is always able to change into something new, there's nothing left they can do with Elena. Lately that's why they hold her back for now, cause they know whatever they do, we had that before...
Flag
Hmmm, you have the point. They have done everything to death (ironically Elena died too :P). But still, there are turnarounds in 'fiction writing'... if they do love so much of the triangle drama... there ARE much spicier ways to do it without boring us. I hope they learn/plagiarize those soon :P :D Thanks for the reply :)
Flag
Doesn't Tween mean pre-teen/ early teen (11-14) or something? I always associated it with that rather than early 20's.
Flag
If it is, I'm terribly sorry for the misunderstanding. I have always reckoned it to be "Teens going Twenty". If it really do mean Pre-teens then I apologize for using wrong terminology. I'm not familiar with western contexts as much as I thought. :)
Flag
Not your fault if you don't know, but yeah -- "tween" is like the baby version of "teen", so it basically means pre-teen. The age group you're looking for is exactly "young adult". I think young adult spans 18-25, but I could be wrong. The details are so fuzzy. :)
Flag
"young adult" usually refers to teens. Thus the "young adult" book section refers to middleschoolers and usually early highschoolers.
It can refer to 20yr olds but it all depends on who is leading the topic.
Flag
I believe "young adult" book section and the "young adult" age group are two different terminologies.
Flag
Elena is a bitch. End of story..
Flag
Lmao.
Flag
Loved your take on this! While I might not personally agree with everything you said it was extremely nice to come across someone else who tries to "define some sense or logic" in things that rarely have that much thought put into them in the first place. It has become a running joke in my house over the years, that if I can't come up with some logic for whatever has happened in whatever we are watching, than it probably doesn't have any. It's always delightful to find others who do the same thing. :D
Flag
I'm glad you found it worth reading. :) And the TVD jokes, LOLOL... it is pervading meme cultures worldwide XD
Flag
Your post begins with, "What if the.......dance of relationship is actually based upon a logical lore of many other established mythology regarding the Vampirism?" Then near the end say, "You can also say that it was my straw grasp to define some sense or logic for the killing of logic that occurs in this show on weekly basis." You've pretty much answered your own question or certainly negated its premise for a logical basis. My take, well......I don't see this show as being that deep. I'm sure there is research but given the storylines and portrayal of the mythology, it appears to be done more for the sake of ideas and creative stimulation rather than any accuracy. If some bits are 'accurate' then I think it's just a bonus for the writers. The show has already explained the love triangle as being doppelganger based, in that there will always be a third party to Elena's and Stefan's relationships as they cannot be free of each other. Also, given the number of seasons and interviews the showrunners/producers have given, there answers/focus for development seems to be more character driven than mythology based.
Flag
That Was the point. I'm as conflicted as Elena :P :P I tend to over analyse shows that I love dearly. :) Thanks for your reply :)
Flag
It's nice that you try to analyze it. You have the hope that there are more layers to TVD. In my opinion though... it's not that deep, unfortunately. :( I think it's just bad writing. We can try to explain it but, in the end, it should be about what's entertaining and what's not entertaining. Even IF that's what they were going for, if it doesn't entertain viewers, then they've just failed at producing good television.
Flag
Oh without a doubt this vampirism is a form of perpetual adolescence. Look at Rebekah! And the thing is these characters don't grow up or "get better" like humans . They get worse the older they get. Honestly this is what attracted me to the show. I'm in my early 30's, still look fairly young, and I went back to finish college-so I can relate to the whole bizzare form of eternal youth. (plus I'm pale and wear a lot of leather jackets so I can relate to that too!) And I never get over girls I can't have or ones that got away.
It's the whole "lost boys" metaphor, it's just that sometimes eternal youth can be a curse.
On Buffy, Whedon used the vampires as a metaphor for the troubles of teen-hood, and he was actually annoyed when characters like Angel and Spike were beloved by the audience. I related to and loved Spike.He was a total reverted adolescent-hell even the punk rock look I could relate too! I play in a punk band and that kind of music, which I will always love, is sort of frozen in adolescence. There is even a punk band CALLED "the Adolescents!" I have always said being a punker and being a vampire are quite the same thing. Which is why I loved that they showed Damon was a punker in the 70's flashback episode.
More+
Flag
Buffy is/was a forever brilliant show, and everything actually had meaning in it. TVD could be meaningful, but it isn't really intended to be.
I freaking adored Spike but I really disliked Angel.
Flag
I liked both-but not Angel till he got his own show really. Spike is/was forever (in your words) the best TV vampire!
Flag
BRB, dying laughing here! :P Thanks for the input :)
Flag
'Many Vampire myths states that vampires are essentially locked into their youth (face, brain, mind, thought included)..'
i cant agree with this. They may be locked into their looks but its not always youth. Even fictional character like Count Dracula is often depicted as an adult and nothing youthful can be said about him.

Considering that many of the CW shows focuses on teenage love drama, there is certainly a lot of research and concrete evidence required to convince 1 to believe that those teens love drama(love triangles or otherwise) surrounding TVD and TO aint the concoction of those writers..
Flag
You point out one of the CW's biggest mistakes. That they forget that their viewers are growing up with the show.

For instance; we just finished up the fifth season of TVD. So let's say that roughly most of the viewers started watching this show in their teens. Hmm roughly 15-20. So for the past five years as they've grown with the show, the same melodramatic themes that worked for the viewers as teenagers won't work anymore, now that they're in their young to mid twenties.

TVD shows no emotional aging or evolution. Their fan base has grown up and it doesn't seem as if they are accounting for that in their story telling.
Flag
"Even fictional character like Count Dracula is often depicted as an adult and nothing youthful can be said about him."

Yes but this example is specific to Draculian Mythology. They concentrate on the "Gothic Adult Horror" element of story-telling. Gaunt looks, pale skin, terrifying gaze, damsel the prey and Dracula the predator; they are as central to this specific sub-section of Vampiric Genre as Light-Sabres are to StarWars. But Frank Herbert's Dune, though being Sci-Fi has nothing analogous instead it has Spice (which in turn has no analogue in other Sci-Fi).

Point being, though TVD and TO are based on Vampirism they don't represent Draculian Lore. They are more on the lines of Young Adult Drama where a Vampire is the side track of main focus, which is Romance. Rather than being afraid of the predatory aspect of a Vampire, damsel is in dilemma.
TVD and TO draw upon a cocktail of mythos. They specifically have the "youth and young love" parts of those in majority.

Consciously or Unwittingly the show dwell upon the clumsy/undecided/confused psyche of characters.

But you are free to disagree :) Thanks for the reply anyway. :)
Flag
Yes, I thought about this too but the writers certainly managed to take care on this subject much better in season 1-3, at least that's what I think. Now they just keep the same formula for lack of better ideas or scared to lose ratings which is understandable due to business but still, it's possible to show immaturity in an mature way then grow the show in a good direction without going overboard.

I wonder though if it's realistic even by fictional standards to keep something as important for a creature's psyché to be in constant stasis considering vampirism has always been a reflection of a possible evolutionary development (higher up on the food chain than humans). If they can't learn from their mistakes and end up immortal no wonder complications will ensue, both from a writing perspective as well as in their "lives", trying to survive and cling to whatever dream of humanity they strive for.
Flag
Thanks for replying :)
Flag
Nice collection of thoughts that's buts things into perspective.
Flag
Flag
Follow this Show
Members