A The Vampire Diaries Community
Friday 8:00 PM on The CW (Returning October 21, 2016)

Alaric lives! The Vampire Diaries' Matt Davis will return to the show as a series regular for Season 6, TV.com has confirmed.

Spoiler alert! If you haven't watched The Vampire Diaries' Season 5 finale, turn back now. 

As everyone raced to save the Other Side in Thursday's Season 5 finale, "Home," a few familiar faces, including Lexi (Arielle Kebbel) and Alaric, returned. But while Lexi joined Vicki (Kayla Ewell) in getting sucked up into the atmosphere, Alaric was left standing alongside his friends. 

First introduced midway through TVD's first season, Alaric started out as a vampire hunter and history teacher at Mystic Falls High (LOL like that school has any real teachers), but soon became a surrogate parent to Elena and Jeremy and a drinking buddy to Damon. (He also exhibited some epic dance moves when Klaus inhabited his body.) 

In Season 3, Original mama Esther turned Alaric into a crazy Original she could use to kill off her family, but also bound him to Elena. When Elena careened off the bridge and died in the Season 3 finale, so did Alaric—and it was so traumatic it just about killed Kaitlin, too

Since his death, Alaric has returned three times—twice as a ghost in Season 4, when Damon visited his grave and again to, well, drink with Damon—and then earlier this season, in the 100th episode.

Are you excited to have Alaric back?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/13/2016

Season 7 : Episode 22

80 Comments
Comments (80)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Oh, crap! Now I'll have to watch season 5 of TVD!
Flag
Maybe you should have changed the title of the article if you didn't want to spoil anything. I mean, telling us Matt Davis is going to be a series regular next season on the front page is a pretty big sign that he will come back from the dead. So, yeah, thanks for spoiling that.
Flag
hope alaric is still a Original ,but dont think the wrighters are that smart :)

they choose to let this be a teen soap with a few episodes of action ....they getting manny ideas from buffy the vampire slayer but they do it so so so poor its a shame.

when are we getting a show like buffy real vampires with the face the vangs the demons monsters funny horror STORY pfffff
Flag
Hohoho Bromance triangle next season. Enzo vs Damon vs Alaric free for all

Flag
Best news for the show ever, my interest was failing but not any more! Lots of Damon & Ric bromantic moments to look forward to!
Flag
I swear, when I read he was coming back, I "wow!"-ed out loud and am now considering to start watching again after I quit it this season. I didn't like Alaric at all when he first came on to the show, but that bromance with Damon really redeemed him for me.
Flag
lol nobody dies on that show, even though they die in every season (or so it feels).
Flag
YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Even if season 6 sucks, it will already be better then seasons 4 and 5 because ALARIC IS BACK! My favorite character is BACK! Can't wait to see what will happen to him next season and I'm already wishing for October!
Flag
Hell Yes! Forgive my French, but I was so excited! Wish Lexi would have made it too.
Flag
why out up a spoiler alert in the article when the title of the post gave it away
Flag
Staff
The spoiler alert relates to the specific events of the finale mentioned in the article. Not his return to the show.
Flag
YES!!!!!!!!!!!! SO Happy to have him back! I have been waiting for this day since he died. I've missed him. This show missed him.
Flag
Yes, yes, welcome back
Flag
The Vampire Diaries already has enough completely useless character's that I'm indifferent to in Jeremy, Matt, Tyler, and Bonnie. Why re-introduce Alaric back onto that list too?

As I mentioned in the episode discussion, the parental relationship he shared with Elena and Jeremy (and to a lesser extent Bonnie and Caroline) wouldn't work as well now. Alaric's death was meant to signify Elena and Jeremy being self-dependent indivudals and not relying on adults to help get them through tough decisions/ situations. Bringing Alaric back and trying to keep the same relationship he had with them back in Season 3 would be absolutely pointless, which is why I think that they shouldn't have brought him back.

The only other meaningful relationship was the bromance he shared with Damon, and honestly, I think I've started to enjoy Damon a lot more since Alaric left.

So yeah, not a fan of this idea at all.
Flag
So conflicted! On one hand all this coming and going from the otherside means that the main characters never really face any danger and it's hard to get emotionally invested when they 'die' (and I use the word die VERY loosely!) but on the otherhand - Alaric is back! Ido find myself questioning why I still watch this show but somehow - despite the loss of The Originals and the ridiculous plots and lame villains it's still kinda watchable and vaguely entertaining so yeah I'll be back for season 6.
Flag
Alaric is back & the world is a better place. Now if only Jeremy can be beheaded and never return, I'll break out the hard stuff.
Flag
As soon as the Other side thing started & talks of Enzo being brought back I was "Alaric, bring back Alaric" so happy its true
Flag
Even though I love Alaric, I don't think I'll watch S6, I could barely watch S5, God, the plot was just terrible.
I still love most of the characters but I really don't care about their storylines.
(PS: Of course Damon is comming back, Ian has a 6 seasons contract, also Damon is the most popular character).
Flag
YES!!!!
Flag
Right, I'm glad Alaric is back from the failure of season 5 but if Damon won't return immediately in season 6 that would be undermined. Their bromance was the best thing during season 2 and season 3, it kept Damon away from Elena partially too.
Flag
I rest my case, the writing for TVD is TERRIBLE. why can't characters stay dead? seriously? Julie Plec is a hack.
Flag
The only good thing about this season.
Flag
Will Alaric save the show from being super boring? Let's hope so, but I don't have high hopes...
Flag
Are you freaking kidding me?!? What the heck is up with this site?
You put a decent spoiler alert in the article about what's happening in the episode but the fact that Matt David is returning including a huge picture with his face and caption on the main page that is unavoidable even before you read the article is NOT spoilerish in your opinion?

This is *exactly* like you did when Rebekah Holt left The Originals...
Geesh...
Flag
For someone who doesn't even know either actors names, I'm surprised you care.
Flag
BUUUUUUURN!
Flag
lol
Flag
Good. :D
Flag
There is a god!
Flag
So is he a vampire or a human now?
Flag
Human. Tyler said he is not a hybrid anymore and presumably they are all human now.
Flag
I don't know about that, maybe Tyler is human because he technically died human
Flag
I just wish Lexi had stayed as well...
Flag
Hopefully she will be needed to bring Damon back so we'll get to see more of her.
Flag
Me too.
Flag
I have to say, this time you spoiled the finale for ma aswell by posting the article as your top story but, considering the incredibly good news and that this makes me want to watch the finale even more, I gladly forgive you TV.com. In fact I thank you, you have made my boring friday morning a little lighter.
Flag
Love how Lexi just elbowed the all powerful Markos in the face.
Flag
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flag
Finally, killing off Alaric was the start of bad mistakes TVD made. Hope things will get better again now. This season was kinda boring.
Flag
I agree. I wasn't too crazy about this season. Very happy Alaric is back. Now, maybe the show will get back on track :)
Flag
Are you excited to have Alaric back?
---------------------

NO.
Flag
:) ALARIC IS BACK BABY AAAAALLLLLAARRRIIICCC AHHHHHHHHHHH
Flag
Yes. Love Damon and Alaric's bromance! :)
Flag
Love me some Alaric... So glad to have him back.
Flag
The best part of having Alaric back would have been the Damon-Alaric bromance and now that's shot. Not sure how to feel.
Flag
Exactly how I feel but we don't know yet if Damon is dead. We can't judge a cliffhanger and not even the pilot of season 6. Episode 2 and perhaps a few episodes forward will tell us what happened.
Flag
"But while Lexi joined Vicki (Kayla Ewell) in getting sucked up into the atmosphere" Ah, Lexi didn't get sucked up, she found peace. We never saw her get sucked up.
Flag
didn't see Lexi really go anywhere at all, just spread her arms out and said you won't get me or something and then it went to another scene..
Flag
Thought Lexi dissapeared in white light when watching that scene not being sucked up in the air
Flag
Yayyyyy Alaric is back!!
Flag
Only good thing about last night's mediocre season finale was Alaric returns.

Now, what's the point of him without Damon around to shoot the breeze... no idea. Good thing we won't have to wait too long to see them drink together again...

Nobody dies in Mystic Falls.
Flag
I think the other side is going to implode everyone that died as a mystical creature back into the land of the living.
Flag
Damn, does this mean I have to start watching this show again? This might mean I have to start watching this show again.
Flag
Yay, Alaric is back. I think Damon and Bonnie will be back somehow. Gramms said she had taken care of Bonnie's future and Damon is with her so I think they'll be back. The characters on this show are as hard to kill permanently as the Winchesters.
Flag
screw alaric if damon doesn't come back I'm not watching anymore
Flag
Yaaay..................Alaric is back!!!!!!!!
Flag
I'm sad that I checked out tv.com (the home page) before I watched the finale. Thanks...
Flag
Me as well... me as well! It was kinda too late to write spoiler alert when it is the top story on tv.com.
Flag
I love Alaric & love being emotionally manipulated into tears when he pops in for a ghost visit. Even though I "expected" to see him since the Other Side was falling apart, it was confirmed & I definitely had no idea he was permanently returning to Mystic Falls. Seeing the headline before watching the finale took away the emotional gut punch of his return in the episode.
Flag
Alaric being back being the top story says a LOT about Alaric :)
Flag
I wasn't expecting Alaric to be back on the show, but once he passed through Bonnie I kind of figured he'd be sticking around. Although can he be killed? Esther turned him into an Original and the only way to kill him previously was to kill Elena. So is he now totally immortal?
Flag
They are all humans now. Tyler showed Caroline he can't heal anymore.
Flag
No they aren't. Tyler died as a werewolf, hence why he lost his hybrid abilities. All the others died as vampires. Hence why Elena and Damon were hurrying to die as vampires or else they would totally bypass the other side by dying as humans.
Flag
It makes sense, the showrunners needed to do something to make people watch this show again, Alaric's return will make a lot of people watch season 6 first episode.
Honestly, I don't think this was planned from the beginning, just guessing here, I think the crappy ratings they got in the second half of the season was a big reason Alaric is back.
Flag
The writers must had read my mind thinking I'm going to stop watching the show since by having Alaric return, GUARANTEES me watching next season. There was just something where they never wanted Lexie to be back but I've been thankful she's been back here and there. I'd assume she's officially gone but to have Alaric back is incredible!!
Flag
Lexi wont be back because apparently there can only be one blonde vampire who's into Stephan.
Flag
You mean Rebekah?
Flag
No. Look again. Lexi was on the money. She tried to tell Stefan but he wouldnt listen.
Flag
I was joking because you mentioned she was the only blonde vampire on the show who liked Stefan...

Rebekah was blonde, a vampire and a fling with Stefan.
Flag
Without a doubt, the BEST thing to happen this season.

ALARIC IS BACK!!!!!!!
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members