The Vampire Diaries

Dangerous Liaisons

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Feb 09, 2012 on The CW

• Tainted Love

How long has it been since our last excuse to throw a formal party? Too long. The answer you're looking for is: too long. The show manages to rattle the most feathers when it whips up a flimsy reason to have the entire cast in one mansion. Everyone except Bonnie, that is. Cos, I mean, who wants Bonnie at their party? I certainly don't. Go back to your cave, Bonnie!

While not a lot actually happens in terms of the overall arc, the status quo is kicked around a bit, as everyone plays a game of emotional roulette, switching partners like it was some sort of supernatural swingers night. Oh, you didn't like Delana tonight? Try Stelana again. Still not your cuppa? Oh, well, we have Klaus and Caroline for you instead? No? Rebekkah and Matt? Rebekkah and Damon? Caroline and Tyler's voicemail? Caroline and that horse?

But let's talk about Caroline and Klaus for a second. Ahem. Excuse me. Saaaay waaaah? It is just SO typical of Klaus to regain some trace of humanity just as his mother comes up with a crazy awesome spell to kill him dead. I'm still not sure if I like where these two are heading, but then again, anything has to be better than Tyler, amiright? I thought Klaus' drawings were very Angelus. Ditto his bed-leaving gifts. (Thankfully, though, no goldfish were harmed in the process). But Caroline has a tendancy to allow her awesomeness to rub off on others, and so I remain optimistic. Kind of.

I was more than a bit relieved to learn that Esther actually wants to kill all of her children. I thought last week's cliff-hanger felt a little mute, what with her gunning for peace instead of Klaus' head on a plate. Turns out she has an incredible poker face. I'm still a little confused as to what she is exactly: a de-mummified mommy? A ghostly witch? Hrmm. And I'm still more than a little unsure of her endgame; it can't be that cut and dry. She's guesting on the Vampire Diaries, for frak sake. Is Elena also bound to this spell? Will she die too? And now that Caroline is starting to have smushy feelings for Klaus, and Damon is making with the naughty with Rebekkah, the writers are doing their darndest to tie our main troops to our dead family walking, for more of an emotional oomph come finale time.

The hour could have used a little more action and a little less longing stares. I was kind of hoping for an awesome cliff-hanger too. I guess I had to settle for soft-core CW. I very much enjoyed this one, even if it felt like the writers were indulging far too much in slash fan-fiction for their own good.
CW