The Vampire Diaries Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

Becoming to much like twilight

bdancer99

[1]Feb 9, 2011
    • level: 11

is it just me or does it seem like the storyline is becoming a lot like twilight

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

gamrgrl007

[2]Feb 9, 2011
    • level: 10

You have to tell us why you think so, only then we can agree or disagree

jstitely1

[3]Feb 10, 2011
    • level: 12

i agree with the previous poster, but on a general level i would have to disagree. werewolves were never like any danger in twilight. all they were there for was taking off their shirts for a good part of new moon. now in terms of stefan and elena i can see how they are mirrioring edward and bella. especially with the latest preview clip of them talking about their future. but on a general sense i still think tvd maintains differences from twilight, which is what makes it in my opinion better

alirk

[5]Feb 10, 2011
    • level: 22

I don't really think they're very similar at all...

bdancer99

[6]Feb 10, 2011
    • level: 11

i'm just saying that there are lot's of similarities, like the human girl falling in love with a vampire, and now there are werewolf's too, and how damon and stefen are in love with elena kind of like the edward jacob and bella love triangle

Togana

[7]Feb 10, 2011
    • level: 9

I always laugh when I see comments like "This is just like Twilight" as if Twilight was the first vampire/werewolf movie/book to be created. Considering VD came out over a DECADE BEFORE Twilight, maybe.... JUST maybe Twilight is just like Vampire Diaries. WOW, did that just blow your mind or what?

*Rolls eyes*

By the way, Twilight sucks.

DegrassiFan619

[8]Feb 10, 2011
    Togana wrote:

I always laugh when I see comments like "This is just like Twilight" as if Twilight was the first vampire/werewolf movie/book to be created. Considering VD came out over a DECADE BEFORE Twilight, maybe.... JUST maybe Twilight is just like Vampire Diaries. WOW, did that just blow your mind or what?

*Rolls eyes*

Took the words right out of my.. typing.

galbotrix08

[9]Feb 10, 2011
    • level: 4

Togana wrote:

*Rolls eyes*

Nicely said..can't put better words myself..

collabo

[10]Feb 11, 2011

well i disagree. twilight is so bogas. man u can't possibly compare twilight to vampire diaries. first of all vampire diaries is so original and the characters are so active in all their respectable roles. the beauty about the story is you can manipulate it and bring in new ideas and it will still look good. the warewolves in twilight were just there for fun . and lastly vampire diaries is not short

EvgenyaLazarova

[11]Feb 11, 2011
    There's nothing similar with Twilight. And Togana is so right.

Cynkaius

[12]Feb 11, 2011
    • level: 1
    ah please vampire diaries is so different with twilight. They have different views of how vampires are and fyi twilight is not bogus its just different and it definitely has a bigger audience than vampire diaries

jkpop_07

[13]Feb 11, 2011
    • level: 5
    Dull plain teen girl in a love triangle sacrifices herself in order safe the people she loves...hmmm sounds familiar. But if Togana is right The Vampire Diaries did that plot before Twilight I'll accept that.

pgsuperfan

[14]Feb 11, 2011
    • level: 25

don't really know have not seen Twilight

Olocco

[15]Feb 11, 2011
    • level: 1

Jstitely1, twilight's wolves never appear in the books, they're just named by the Volturis as Children of the Moon ... and the dudes from La Push are shapeshifters instead of werewolves.

Togana, you speak about the TVD's books coming out before than Twilight's but the serie only takes from the books the character's names, the vampire/witch thing and the triangle Elena/Stefan/Damon. There's nothing about werewolves and that stuff and they got a lot away from the original plot... ergo, that point is not valid if you use it to dismiss the idea that VD is like twilight

However, there's no ressemblance with Twilight, comparing the triangle between two brothers that are vampires is much different than a triangle between a human girl, a vamp and a were is utterly a nonsense.In any case, VD is nothing like Twilight and I like it better... the other is a love story with no action whatsoever, the author lacked the guts to kill her characters and that sucks. In VD there's a lot of action and fights although it seems the wolves are gone for the time being. I hope they come back *-*... And yeah, I'm a team wolf xD

gamrgrl007

[16]Feb 11, 2011

I've not read either set of books. But I've seen all the three movies of Twilight (only once each so I'm a little weak on the details) and all of TVD and besides the concept of vampires, werewolves and a love triangle - all three very generic items - I don't see anything in common between the two per se. TVD to me is RICHER because it has SO MANY side stories and side characters with serious storylines, so just saying it's about a love triangle is kind of a disservice to TVD.

And even the love triangle, because Stefan & Damon are brothers, that too close brothers, the dynamics are totally different because they are rivals only where Elena is concerned, and even then, Damon is willing to give up, not only because he loves Elena, but because he loves STEFAN too - and the relationship b/w Damon & Stefan makes TVD's triangle definitely more complex than Twilight pitting natural enemies Edward / Jacob against each other because that is an easy and obvious rivalry and the choice is ONLY Bella's - whichever guy she likes better, she can take him, the guys are just hanging around for her to choose. There's no complexity there, Edward & Jacob may have been 'normal' guys with no different impact to the story.

ionee24

[17]Feb 17, 2011
    • level: 32

bdancer99 wrote:
    i'm just saying that there are lot's of similarities, like the human girl falling in love with a vampire, and now there are werewolf's too, and how damon and stefen are in love with elena kind of like the edward jacob and bella love triangle

The Vampire Diaries's its, technically, the werewolf boy (Tyler) falling in love with the vampire girl (Caroline) so, unless Jacob and Edward somehow become an item in the next movie, Twillight its a completely different story than theirs.

Plus, the Stefan/Elena/Damon thing its too generic: the same formula has been applied to Jack/Kate/Sawyer o Lost, McDreamy/Grey/McSteamy on Grey's Anatomy, the Rick/Lori Grimes/Shane from The Walking Dead or the Bill/Sookie/Eric love triangle on True Blood, among others.

Edited on 02/17/2011 5:57pm

Ingelief

[18]Feb 17, 2011
    • level: 7

Besised in vm the vampires sleep. in twilight they dont.

I dont think there alike, a like both i have to say..

Kitanishi

[19]Feb 18, 2011
    • level: 9
    Yeah..... beacause twiboredom obviously was the FIRST to do any sort of love triangle, female-martyr or werewolf storyline....right?|sarcasm|

Lets see the differences between that "thing" and this show:

- Elena is actual person with personality, instead of....well... being ____ for reader.
    - Vampires have balls and actually act like vampires.
    - Werewolves actually pose a threat and are connected to the plot, instead of being "oh by the way"
    - Vampires are badass.
    - Werewolves are badass.
    - Normals can also be badass.
    - It is guaranteed that at least once every character will be badass.

Frankly I am getting more feel of gothic fiction vampires there, than twiboredom. Your usual gothic fiction vampires, with a touch of early anne rice novels and visual style of Interview With Vampire movie.

gamrgrl007

[20]Feb 18, 2011
    Kitanishi wrote:
    Lets see the differences between that "thing" and this show:

- Elena is actual person with personality, instead of....well... being ____ for reader.
    - Vampires have balls and actually act like vampires.
    - Werewolves actually pose a threat and are connected to the plot, instead of being "oh by the way"
    - Vampires are badass.
    - Werewolves are badass.
    - Normals can also be badass.
    - It is guaranteed that at least once every character will be badass.

Absolutely, and most importantly, B and C. In TVD, badass ISN'T bad.