The Vampire Diaries Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

Better Than Twilight?

teavodelzell

[1]May 9, 2010
    • level: 8

What do you think? I thought Twilight 1 & 2 were both good movies, but I personally like Vampire Diaries better.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jstitely1

[2]May 9, 2010
    • level: 12

I like the Twilight books, not movies, but i do love this show better then twilight. its darker and focuses on more than just a love triangle.

KingofIPirates

[3]May 9, 2010
    • level: 32
    I found the Twilight movies horrendous especially the second movie.

gamrgrl007

[4]May 9, 2010
    • level: 10

KingofIPirates wrote:
    I found the Twilight movies horrendous especially the second movie.
    Same here. The first one was okay - visually it was very moody, attractive, the blue high contrast colours, and the plot was simple and therefore pleasant. The second one was boring and silly, and tried to take itself too seriously.

TVD has a different vibe. Though it's sort of about teens, it's not about any teen issues as such. Almost all topics are 'adult' in nature, including the basic premise of the love triangle. It's not JUST a triangle between three discrete individuals, like in Twilight. It involves two BROTHERS going for the same girl, and in Katherine's case, where she reciprocates with BOTH in the same timeline, a seriously risque storyline, a concept startling enough even for a heavy-duty (by CW standards, not HBO or something) show like Supernatural, with a more mature cast AND audience, to carefully avoid.

Besides that, the COMPLEXITY of the storylines of ALL primary characters, not just the lead trio, of TVD, sets it apart not only from Twilight, but most similar shows on TV today as well.

BTW, there is already a thread on TVD / Twilight with all arguments already listed... maybe the two threads should be combined.

Edited on 05/09/2010 11:41am

MelissaSchwolow

[5]May 9, 2010
    • level: 6
    STOP. COMPARING. THIS. TO. TWILIGHT!

Seriously! Other than the fact that both have vampires and some romance, they are NOT alike!

Having said that... TVD kicks Twilight's A$$ every time!

gamrgrl007

[6]May 9, 2010
    MelissaSchwolow wrote:

Seriously! Other than the fact that both have vampires and some romance, they are NOT alike!

Having said that... TVD kicks Twilight's A$$ every time!

WORD.

angelust34

[7]May 9, 2010
    • level: 9
    TVD rules that's all I am gonna say!!!

Kitanishi

[8]May 10, 2010
    Easy.

This has vampires.

That twilight stuff did not have vampires

madam_q

[9]May 10, 2010
    • level: 5

I don't think these two are comparable.

Sure there is a few comparisons: Vampires and Love.

But, they have completely different premises. Nothing is the same.

Kitanishi

[10]May 11, 2010
    madam_q wrote:

I don't think these two are comparable.

Sure there is a few comparisons: Vampires and Love.

But, they have completely different premises. Nothing is the same.

Even these two "similarities" end with their titles.

Vampires in twilight are only vampires by name, for all people care, they could have been aliens or supermen or something as the "author" successfully made sure that her "vampires" loose everything that makes vampire a vampire. They have no believable vampire weaknesses. They do not even RESEMBLE vampires. I mean ffs, they DON'T HAVE FANGS...and oh, they SPARKLE in the sun and manage to be depressed about that.

Little supermen disco hippies that's what they are and not vampires.

As for Love? What Love? Apart from the word itself there's nothing to even seem like that in that abomination. I mean when you have a totally blank for main female and depressed unattractive over-abusive for main male(ala the character who is even hated by the actor who plays it...), there can be no believable romance.

Might have something to do with the fact that Twi-stuff was written by a mormon though. She basically chose a MR.NiceGuy and Miss Mary "insert your name here" Sue as main characters

Now Vampire diaries on these two points are a lot better.

Vampires in Vampire Diaries feel for the lack of better word, like vampires. They retain a lot of the old mythos(burning in the sun, stakes, blood, etc), while managing to add new and interesting layers around it all(the whole show mythology)

Romance pairing is a whole lot more complicated too. You have actually believable lead female whose first reaction to the discovery of identity of lead male is believable and realistic, not to mention that she has believable character strengths(valuing trust and believing it has to be earned, being quite good at judging people, capable of a bit sneaky/manipulative ideas, ) and downfalls (her inability to actually push any of the two brothers away, her overall frailty, self-conscience, etc). Its also interesting to see how her character develops over time(for example it was really interesting to watch, let's say episodes 1-4 and episode 21 back to back and compare both "Elena"). At first she was all against lies and now she is willing to lie herself to keep those she cares about safe. Will her outlook to life change even more? How will the events thorough the show affect her?

Lead male is also quite interesting character - yes he is brooding, self-depressed, self-loathing, but he is also self-aware of all of that and if anything letting yourself being overrun by guilt is his hypocritical defense mechanism against everything he has done or is doing. He is not someone who has a benign-nature, he is someone who constantly fights his real nature to be benign.

Their interactions feel not-so-perfect in a more realistic way and how Elena's relationship is developing with Damon is also slow and detailed.

To sum it up, they both are totally different things. Twi-stuff is a mindless teen flick for lonely 14 year old girls who can then place themselves into insert-your-name-here's role and drool. It has no real plot apart the traditional soap-like "A and B togeva, sitting in a tree~"

Vampire Diaries is more grown-up, darker exploration of the vampires, the characters and their relationships, not to mention that it actually has an overarching interesting plot-lines, separate from the whole romance plot.
    Edited on 05/11/2010 12:36am
    Edited 2 total times.

gamrgrl007

[11]May 11, 2010

Kitanishi wrote:
    Little supermen disco hippies that's what they are and not vampires.

Oh.My.God. I can't stop laughing at that. Little supermen disco hippies LaughingLaughingLaughing

Getting serious, a well-written piece.

Twilight is popcorn fluff compared to TVD, and I don't think Twilight intended to be more, either. The author is not comparing the two, fans are. It's like if we started comparing TVD to True Blood... it's senseless. Even that has vampires and a love triangle (I think, I don't watch it - from what I read online about Bill-Sookie-Eric), but the intent, audience and content is totally different.

The PROBLEMS in TVD arise because of the vampire nature of the vampires. It is DRIVEN by the fact that Stefan and Damon are vampires, and therefore the consequences.

In Twilight, the vampire business is incidental. Edward may as well have been a boy from the wrong side of town. That might actually have worked better and kept the story focused on the romance.

Having said that, I think the greatest failure about Twilight was its lead pair. Stewart and Pattinson just lacked the chemistry to carry off the romance. They individually lacked verve, attractiveness and the capacity to carry the film on their shoulders, and together that non-effect was doubled, and a disaster.

As for the 'love triangle', it was NEVER one. Bella, being unidimensionally in love with Edward, never got into that plot.

Jacob the werewolf was thus summarily short-changed by the author, who I suspect is personally 'in love' with her character 'Edward'. He's her fantasy guy, and her writingpuke-inducingly glorifies him, from his 'ethereal' appearance, to the 'hypnotic' effect he has on everyone, to everything he does. Yeah, we get it, he's hot, now let's get on with the story. But she doesn't. The books should be called, "An Ode To Edward", not "Twilight". It's like reading a secret journal of a Pattinson fan-girl.The movies fare little better.

Erekle_var_ra

[12]May 11, 2010

please everyone stop asking that stupid question

twilight or TVD? you gotta be kidding me...

TVD is action drama, with a lot of blood, interesting and deep characters

twilight? it's just um.....

Edited on 05/11/2010 11:39am

DegrassiFan619

[13]May 12, 2010
    Twilight is boring.

Mistral5

[14]May 14, 2010

MelissaSchwolow wrote:

Go and watch Twilight.

Then go and watch the first episode of TVD.

THAT is why they compare the two. TVD Episode 1 was Twilight the TV Show... and left that very far behind, very fast.

tarniamoore

[15]May 14, 2010
    • level: 3

Am Twilight obsessed but Diaries rocks, excellent show, am loving Damon and i think his acting is fantasic. They are both different and great in their own right.....i love twilight cos i loved the books first but Diaries is a great series.....can't compare the two i think...thank God you didn't throw True Blood into the mix....now that tops them all.

Edited on 05/14/2010 8:23am

dark_harpy

[16]May 14, 2010

I think it is. Which is not hard to accomplish, but still. If it (Vampire Diaries) gets a more solid writing and it strains a little bit from some cliches, it could actually become a quite solid show.

PS: Vampire Diaries, Twilight and True Blood are all in the vampire genre, above all else (like male vampire-female human love relationship), so it's not that big a stretch to compare the three of them.

Edited on 05/14/2010 8:48am
    Edited 2 total times.

MelissaSchwolow

[17]May 14, 2010

Mistral5 wrote:

MelissaSchwolow wrote:

Go and watch Twilight.

Then go and watch the first episode of TVD.

THAT is why they compare the two. TVD Episode 1 was Twilight the TV Show... and left that very far behind, very fast.

Oh, I've seen both, but the real comparisons for movie VS TV show end with that one episode, second or third episode at the latest... These comparisons are getting old!

Karamour

[18]May 15, 2010
    • level: 1

Hands Down, The Vampire Diaries.

Its Fun, Exciting And New-ish. (The Idea Of Vampires, Not So New) But The Fresh Faces Give It "New Feel" To It.

And To Be Honest, Twilight Seems Dark, Serious, And Well... "Blah."

While, The Vampire Diaries Are Clever, Witty, Romantic, A Touch Of Seriousness, And It's Exhilarating. Vampire Diaries CRUSHES Twilight.

Plus, Ian Somerhalder Isn't To Bad To Look At Either♥

jewel79bp

[19]May 16, 2010
    • level: 4

I don't want to compare them, either. But I think TVDs are much better adapted to the screen than the Twilight. Twilight is a great book, with a lot of darkness and moral questions and the movies just couldn't adapt that atmosphere. The Vampire Diaries and its actors are much better than the actors of the Twilight. (True Blood is also a great adaptation, but that's storyline is completely different from the story of the books.)

bshende67

[20]May 16, 2010
    • level: 1

yupp wayy better it has more to it...like more background and better story