The Vampire Diaries Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

How many seasons should The Vampire Diaries get?

  • Avatar of presario111

    presario111

    [21]Nov 10, 2010
    • member since: 12/25/06
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 138

    hatts8 wrote:


    ionee24 wrote:
    RachelleMcAdams wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:
    That would be my guess, otherwise what would be the point to introduce Duke University so conveniently near Mystic Falls? That way the show can continue when they all go to college there.
    That be cool but the character of Katherine would be long gone if that happened
    I don't think she's here to stay for more than 2 seasons really, we know she won't settle for Damon and Stefan would rather die than to let go of Elena so Katherine is bound to be killed at one point or another.



    the Duke idea makes sense but i heard Keven Williams say that its really a show about the history of a small town so I don't know how a big move will fit into that vision...


    I agree I don't think kathrine will be around for more than one and maybe two seasons, if for no other reason then that it must be a little hard on the editing and makeup crews and on Nina Dobrev...



    no they need to move on from mystic falls eventually because first off that town is evil were the teenagers spend more time at festivals and parties then they do at school. i mean my small town of 8000 only has maybe one or two big events a year. another reason is the idea of the town being small will fade away just look at buffy the vampire slayers town they said it was a "small town" but the next thing u know it hastwo high schools,a few dozen churches, a small private college, a zoo, a museum, and one modest main street. Even so, it has twelve cemetaries. so wut im saying is the small town idea never works.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Maccsa

    Maccsa

    [22]Nov 11, 2010
    • member since: 10/30/10
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 118

    I'd give it 5 to 8 season if they do it right.


    There's a lot to be explored in the supernatural area, especially with vampires and the new media burst they have going on


    I think they're doing a pretty good job so far =]

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ZoneDragoon

    ZoneDragoon

    [23]Nov 25, 2010
    • member since: 11/09/05
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 49
    Personally I dont really care if it goes on for 3 or 9 seasons as long as the story progress and the show renews itself instead of going in the same patterns over and over again. Way to many shows has ended 1-2 seasons to late. I rather end it on the top than after a couple of weak seasons.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of darkbender24

    darkbender24

    [24]Dec 15, 2010
    • member since: 01/25/08
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 537

    I think it should get 4 seasons anymore would be risky. Unless they figure out a way to outdo themselves then i would say six maybe.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ionee24

    ionee24

    [25]Dec 16, 2010
    • member since: 07/05/06
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 3,771

    darkbender24 wrote:


    I think it should get 4 seasons anymore would be risky. Unless they figure out a way to outdo themselves then i would say six maybe.


    If they stick to the formula then they are doomed, there's no way a love triangle as basic as this would last beyond season 4.

    Edited on 12/16/2010 5:53pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JoeWashington8

    JoeWashington8

    [26]Jan 4, 2011
    • member since: 06/04/09
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 160

    Yeah, at some point, either by the end of this season or during Season 3, they need to resolve the whole Damon-Elena-Stefan triangle and put it to bed to make way for other things. Prolonging a romantic triangle past its reasonable time can be tiresome and annoying.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Adam_Dicy

    Adam_Dicy

    [27]Jan 6, 2011
    • member since: 06/18/05
    • level: 89
    • rank: Solid Gold Dancer
    • posts: 905

    Agreed, The Vampire Diaries is definately the best show on the CW, and my guess it'll run for 6-7 Seasons, cause it has such a devoted following of die hard fans.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mattgus

    mattgus

    [28]Jan 13, 2011
    • member since: 10/30/06
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 735
    it will be on as long as it is profitable...there is only one reason and one answer $$$...nothingelse matters to the people who make the decisions at cw or cbs for that matter. any show any station any age grp.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of hueyf

    hueyf

    [29]Jan 14, 2011
    • member since: 05/05/10
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 224

    This is just a guess but I say 7

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ionee24

    ionee24

    [30]Feb 27, 2011
    • member since: 07/05/06
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 3,771
    After the ratings for "The House Guest" reachead a new low it's official: I think they will get only 3 seasons if they keeps things like this.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jstitely1

    jstitely1

    [31]Feb 27, 2011
    • member since: 03/19/06
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 471

    ionee24 wrote:
    After the ratings for "The House Guest" reachead a new low it's official: I think they will get only 3 seasons if they keeps things like this.


    where did it say the ratings for house guest were a new loq

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ionee24

    ionee24

    [32]Feb 27, 2011
    • member since: 07/05/06
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 3,771

    jstitely1 wrote:


    ionee24 wrote:
    After the ratings for "The House Guest" reachead a new low it's official: I think they will get only 3 seasons if they keeps things like this.


    where did it say the ratings for house guest were a new loq



    Everywhere, you can check Tv by the Numbers and TVLine for more information but the last episode reached less than 3 million viewers and The Vampire Diaries lost the 18-34 demo.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jstitely1

    jstitely1

    [33]Feb 27, 2011
    • member since: 03/19/06
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 471

    ionee24 wrote:


    jstitely1 wrote:


    ionee24 wrote:
    After the ratings for "The House Guest" reachead a new low it's official: I think they will get only 3 seasons if they keeps things like this.


    where did it say the ratings for house guest were a new loq



    Everywhere, you can check Tv by the Numbers and TVLine for more information but the last episode reached less than 3 million viewers and The Vampire Diaries lost the 18-34 demo.



    its still the highest rating cw show though

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ionee24

    ionee24

    [34]Feb 27, 2011
    • member since: 07/05/06
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 3,771
    True, yet it no longer holds the key demo anymore.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gamrgrl007

    gamrgrl007

    [35]Feb 27, 2011
    • member since: 11/16/09
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 848
    jstitely1 wrote:

    ionee24 wrote:


    jstitely1 wrote:


    ionee24 wrote:
    After the ratings for "The House Guest" reachead a new low it's official: I think they will get only 3 seasons if they keeps things like this.


    where did it say the ratings for house guest were a new loq



    Everywhere, you can check Tv by the Numbers and TVLine for more information but the last episode reached less than 3 million viewers and The Vampire Diaries lost the 18-34 demo.



    its still the highest rating cw show though



    It'd be unfortunate if they cancelled TVD because of Nielsen box ratings. Most 18 - 34 people don't sit in front of the TV at 8pm or whenever it comes on Thursday to watch it - almost everyone I know in the US who watches it does so online. Nielsen ratings may work for other channels with shows like Dateline NBC which 45-50 year olds are watching on TV or whatever, but not for CW's demo in this day and age. Of course, this argument won't make any difference to the network bosses who are also probably not in the 18-34 demo.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ionee24

    ionee24

    [36]Feb 27, 2011
    • member since: 07/05/06
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 3,771

    Ratings its all that matters and the sad reality is that TVD went from more than 6 million viewers in the pilot episode to less that 2.8 million on "The House Guest" episode, if they keep focussing on what they have focussed on, I think The Vampire Diaries won't last beyond season 4th, just like Heroes did.

    Edited on 02/27/2011 10:56am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gamrgrl007

    gamrgrl007

    [37]Feb 27, 2011
    • member since: 11/16/09
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 848

    From Ian Somerhalder's Twitter:



    Is American Idol the death of The Vampire Diaries? Well, viewership apparently says so... Our #'s are SO down if U guys like TVD u may 10:52 AM Feb 25th via Echofon


    Lose it if we don't tune in 10:52 AM Feb 25th via Echofon


    LongliveTVD is trending! Wow, you guys fricking rock!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HappyGirl818

    HappyGirl818

    [38]Mar 5, 2011
    • member since: 07/31/07
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 981

    I believe this show will be on for as long as the cast are willing to make it. I think they're all contracted for 6 years, so I would guess 6 seasons.


    I don't worry about ratings with most of the CW shows I watch just because the bar is set so low. "The House Guest" wasn't their biggest audience ever, but by CW standards it was still pretty great. Plus the CW pays a lot of attention to DVR, iTunes and online viewing as well. This show is the darling of the CW, and unless the ratings take a complete and total nose dive, there's no reason to get worked up about them. Though, I do hope when things start moving as the season winds down that they go back up.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ionee24

    ionee24

    [39]Mar 6, 2011
    • member since: 07/05/06
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 3,771

    ionee24 wrote:
    Ratings its all that matters and the sad reality is that TVD went from more than 6 million viewers in the pilot episode to less that 2.8 million on "The House Guest" episode, if they keep focussing on what they have focussed on, I think The Vampire Diaries won't last beyond season 4th, just like Heroes did.
    HappyGirl818 wrote:
    I believe this show will be on for as long as the cast are willing to make it. I think they're all contracted for 6 years, so I would guess 6 seasons.


    Contracts don't matter if the show is not performing as it's supposed to, however this is the CW and whatever ratings over 1.8 million are "okay" by their standards, I would say the audience has spoken: the stories need to branch out of the so called "love triangle" or else the show itself won't survive much longer.

    Edited on 03/06/2011 11:19am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jstitely1

    jstitely1

    [40]Mar 7, 2011
    • member since: 03/19/06
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 471

    ionee24 wrote:


    ionee24 wrote:
    Ratings its all that matters and the sad reality is that TVD went from more than 6 million viewers in the pilot episode to less that 2.8 million on "The House Guest" episode, if they keep focussing on what they have focussed on, I think The Vampire Diaries won't last beyond season 4th, just like Heroes did.
    HappyGirl818 wrote:
    I believe this show will be on for as long as the cast are willing to make it. I think they're all contracted for 6 years, so I would guess 6 seasons.


    Contracts don't matter if the show is not performing as it's supposed to, however this is the CW and whatever ratings over 1.8 million are "okay" by their standards, I would say the audience has spoken: the stories need to branch out of the so called "love triangle" or else the show itself won't survive much longer.



    no offense, but have you looked at the other cw shows? they barely make it over a million viewers, never over 1.5 except maybe nikita. (and im saying that as a fan of multiple cw shows) tvd is in noo danger of being canceled anytime soon

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.