The Vampire Diaries Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

How many seasons should The Vampire Diaries get?

  • Avatar of ionee24

    ionee24

    [41]Mar 7, 2011
    • member since: 07/05/06
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 3,771

    jstitely1 wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:
    Ratings its all that matters and the sad reality is that TVD went from more than 6 million viewers in the pilot episode to less that 2.8 million on "The House Guest" episode, if they keep focussing on what they have focussed on, I think The Vampire Diaries won't last beyond season 4th, just like Heroes did.
    HappyGirl818 wrote:
    I believe this show will be on for as long as the cast are willing to make it. I think they're all contracted for 6 years, so I would guess 6 seasons.


    Contracts don't matter if the show is not performing as it's supposed to, however this is the CW and whatever ratings over 1.8 million are "okay" by their standards, I would say the audience has spoken: the stories need to branch out of the so called "love triangle" or else the show itself won't survive much longer.



    no offense, but have you looked at the other cw shows? they barely make it over a million viewers, never over 1.5 except maybe nikita. (and im saying that as a fan of multiple cw shows) tvd is in noo danger of being canceled anytime soon



    Good point, unless the ratings go below 1 million viewers the show shouldn't follow Melrose Place nor One Three Hill in the list of cancellations. not to mention it has already been renewed for another season so even if the ratings sink any further it shouldn't be cancelled before season 4.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HappyGirl818

    HappyGirl818

    [42]Mar 7, 2011
    • member since: 07/31/07
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 981

    ionee24 wrote:
    Contracts don't matter if the show is not performing as it's supposed to, however this is the CW and whatever ratings over 1.8 million are "okay" by their standards, I would say the audience has spoken: the stories need to branch out of the so called "love triangle" or else the show itself won't survive much longer.


    I actually think that the love triangle has been put on the back burner for most of this season because of all this craziness going on with the curse. There hasn't really been any notable development. I personally think that if they brought it to the forefront a little more that the ratings would actually go up. But again that's just my opinion.


    ionee24 wrote:
    Good point, unless the ratings go below 1 million viewers the show shouldn't follow Melrose Place nor One Three Hill in the list of cancellations.


    I just had to point out, as a loyal viewer, that One Tree Hill is still on the air lol It's in it's 8th season, which I think just further proves how the CW isn't quick to cancel a show with a following.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gamrgrl007

    gamrgrl007

    [43]Mar 8, 2011
    • member since: 11/16/09
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 848

    HappyGirl818 wrote:


    ionee24 wrote:
    Contracts don't matter if the show is not performing as it's supposed to, however this is the CW and whatever ratings over 1.8 million are "okay" by their standards, I would say the audience has spoken: the stories need to branch out of the so called "love triangle" or else the show itself won't survive much longer.


    I actually think that the love triangle has been put on the back burner for most of this season because of all this craziness going on with the curse. There hasn't really been any notable development. I personally think that if they brought it to the forefront a little more that the ratings would actually go up. But again that's just my opinion.


    Yeah, getting Damon & Elena back on track in the love triangle will probably revive some of the audience. All said and done, all plots and characters considered, the story IS about the love triangle and the three leads. Shunting them out, no matter how boring they are for a segment of the audience, will alienate the primary target. If Damon isn't pursuing Elena, then there's no reason for him to stay in MF and be involved in the chaos - so his motivation becomes weak, and weakens the show. Stefan, without a challenge from Damon, has honestly very little to do, and not enough personality - good or bad - to carry the show. Elena needs to have more to do than simper about dying for a cause, and her relnship with both guys have to mature to the point where she takes responsibility for her influence on them and not just use them as her bodyguards on call. Supporting characters like Bonnie, Tyler, Jeremy, no matter how interesting to certain factions of the audience, do not have LEAD CHARACTER appeal (I like Tyler, or even Jeremy, but will I watch TVD if it focuses on Tyler's werewolf problems or Jeremy's angst issues only? probably not), and if someone wants to watch supernatural stuff or heavy-duty action, there are better shows for that, like Smallville and Supernatural. So unless Katherine stays on for good, and creates a separate triangle with Stefan & Elena, this show will suffer eventually like Roswell did - too many complicated plots, too far from the original concept, trying too hard, too many people, too little holding all of them together. But prolonging the love triangle forever in the current status quo without maturing it would probably be equally counterproductive, so I suppose they'll again pick it up only in S3 now, starting with some sort of cliffhanger at the end of this season.



    HappyGirl818 wrote:


    ionee24 wrote:
    Good point, unless the ratings go below 1 million viewers the show shouldn't follow Melrose Place nor One Three Hill in the list of cancellations.


    I just had to point out, as a loyal viewer, that One Tree Hill is still on the air lol It's in it's 8th season, which I think just further proves how the CW isn't quick to cancel a show with a following.


    OTH, Smallville are still big shows. The channel was loyal even to newbie Life Unexpected despite poor ratings and revived it enough to close the loops (not sure if it's still on or canceled). Supernatural doesn't have massive ratings, but will continue probably into the 7th season (beyond even its own creator's vision!) as it brings both critical acclaim and popularity to the channel. TVD currently brings in massive publicity so its ratings (which anyway leads CW's ratings) are not very important right now, because after a long time, CW has BUZZ (last generated by Gossip Girl in its first season).

    Edited on 03/08/2011 6:17am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ionee24

    ionee24

    [44]Mar 8, 2011
    • member since: 07/05/06
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 3,771

    HappyGirl818 wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:
    Contracts don't matter if the show is not performing as it's supposed to, however this is the CW and whatever ratings over 1.8 million are "okay" by their standards, I would say the audience has spoken: the stories need to branch out of the so called "love triangle" or else the show itself won't survive much longer.


    I actually think that the love triangle has been put on the back burner for most of this season because of all this craziness going on with the curse. There hasn't really been any notable development. I personally think that if they brought it to the forefront a little more that the ratings would actually go up. But again that's just my opinion.


    I couldn't disagree more: the disservice of ongoing storylines such as the werewolves's, Caroline's and the witches's to pimp the love triangle it's what has cost the show more viewers IMO.


    HappyGirl818 wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:
    Good point, unless the ratings go below 1 million viewers the show shouldn't follow Melrose Place nor One Three Hill in the list of cancellations.


    I just had to point out, as a loyal viewer, that One Tree Hill is still on the air lol It's in it's 8th season, which I think just further proves how the CW isn't quick to cancel a show with a following.


    Also a good point, in fact I think One Tree Hill and Supernatural are two examples of shows that managed to survive despite lousy ratings/storylines because it's the CW and not say HBO (True Blood) or ABC (The Gates). Moonlighting and Lake Wolf, on the other hand, the best examples of supernatural shows that didn't survive despite they had the same ratings (or even better).

    Edited on 03/08/2011 8:07am
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gamrgrl007

    gamrgrl007

    [45]Mar 9, 2011
    • member since: 11/16/09
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 848
    ionee24 wrote:

    HappyGirl818 wrote:

    I actually think that the love triangle has been put on the back burner for most of this season because of all this craziness going on with the curse. There hasn't really been any notable development. I personally think that if they brought it to the forefront a little more that the ratings would actually go up. But again that's just my opinion.


    I couldn't disagree more: the disservice of ongoing storylines such as the werewolves's, Caroline's and the witches's to pimp the love triangle it's what has cost the show more viewers IMO.



    Check this out:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Vampire_Diaries_episodes

    The ratings actually started dropping along with the love triangle being shunted out. I don't agree that the love triangle has caused disservice to any of the three storylines mentioned, it's sort of the other way, the triangle has been shoved to make space for them, and clearly, overall viewer interest is dropping since if the ratings are to go by (I'm not an insane ratings follower but those who are can maybe explain what's up with this). Everyone likes interesting side stories so long as they REMAIN side stories and don't hijack the basic premise.

    ionee24 wrote:

    HappyGirl818 wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:
    Good point, unless the ratings go below 1 million viewers the show shouldn't follow Melrose Place nor One Three Hill in the list of cancellations.


    I just had to point out, as a loyal viewer, that One Tree Hill is still on the air lol It's in it's 8th season, which I think just further proves how the CW isn't quick to cancel a show with a following.


    Also a good point, in fact I think One Tree Hill and Supernatural are two examples of shows that managed to survive despite lousy ratings/storylines because it's the CW and not say HBO (True Blood) or ABC (The Gates). Moonlighting and Lake Wolf, on the other hand, the best examples of supernatural shows that didn't survive despite they had the same ratings (or even better).



    I don't know about OTH since I don't watch it, but I'd disagree that SPN is a lousy show. I've seen 3 or 4 episodes of The Gates and it was frankly unwatchable in its absurd tackiness. As for True Blood, soft core porn doesn't make it a better show. Just because SPN's on CW and has the "18 - 34 women demo" tag makes it an easy target for bashers. The same show on more 'legit' channels that didn't air a Gossip Girl or a Hellcats would've a whole different street cred. This is what I mean by blindly following ratings.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HappyGirl818

    HappyGirl818

    [46]Mar 12, 2011
    • member since: 07/31/07
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 981


    gamrgrl007 wrote:
    Yeah, getting Damon & Elena back on track in the love triangle will probably revive some of the audience. All said and done, all plots and characters considered, the story IS about the love triangle and the three leads. Shunting them out, no matter how boring they are for a segment of the audience, will alienate the primary target. If Damon isn't pursuing Elena, then there's no reason for him to stay in MF and be involved in the chaos - so his motivation becomes weak, and weakens the show. Stefan, without a challenge from Damon, has honestly very little to do, and not enough personality - good or bad - to carry the show. Elena needs to have more to do than simper about dying for a cause, and her relnship with both guys have to mature to the point where she takes responsibility for her influence on them and not just use them as her bodyguards on call. Supporting characters like Bonnie, Tyler, Jeremy, no matter how interesting to certain factions of the audience, do not have LEAD CHARACTER appeal (I like Tyler, or even Jeremy, but will I watch TVD if it focuses on Tyler's werewolf problems or Jeremy's angst issues only? probably not), and if someone wants to watch supernatural stuff or heavy-duty action, there are better shows for that, like Smallville and Supernatural. So unless Katherine stays on for good, and creates a separate triangle with Stefan & Elena, this show will suffer eventually like Roswell did - too many complicated plots, too far from the original concept, trying too hard, too many people, too little holding all of them together. But prolonging the love triangle forever in the current status quo without maturing it would probably be equally counterproductive, so I suppose they'll again pick it up only in S3 now, starting with some sort of cliffhanger at the end of this season.


    I agree with everything you've said. At the end of this day the foundation of this show is the about the love triangle and all the relationships between Damon/Elena/Stefan and how those relationships effect them and the other people in their lives. That is what they promote this show to be about and for the majority of this season it's been lacking. I'm not suggesting that that's what the show needs to be completely and only about, but I don't think actually developing the premise would hinder any of the other storylines in any way, if anything it would enhance the show more.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ionee24

    ionee24

    [48]Mar 13, 2011
    • member since: 07/05/06
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 3,771



    gamrgrl007 wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:
    HappyGirl818 wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:
    Contracts don't matter if the show is not performing as it's supposed to, however this is the CW and whatever ratings over 1.8 million are "okay" by their standards, I would say the audience has spoken: the stories need to branch out of the so called "love triangle" or else the show itself won't survive much longer.


    I actually think that the love triangle has been put on the back burner for most of this season because of all this craziness going on with the curse. There hasn't really been any notable development. I personally think that if they brought it to the forefront a little more that the ratings would actually go up. But again that's just my opinion.


    I couldn't disagree more:the disservice of ongoing storylinessuch as the werewolves's, Caroline's and the witches's to pimp the love triangle it's what has cost the show more viewers IMO.


    HappyGirl818 wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:
    Good point, unless the ratings go below 1 million viewers the show shouldn't follow Melrose Place nor One Three Hill in the list of cancellations.


    I just had to point out, as a loyal viewer, that One Tree Hill is still on the air lol It's in it's 8th season, which I think just further proves how the CW isn't quick to cancel a show with a following.


    Also a good point, in fact I think One Tree Hill and Supernatural are two examples of shows that managed to survive despite lousy ratings/storylinesbecauseit's the CW and not say HBO (True Blood) or ABC (The Gates). Moonlighting and Lake Wolf, on the other hand, the best examples of supernatural shows thatdidn'tsurvive despite they had the same ratings (or even better).

    ...The ratings actually started dropping along with the love triangle being shunted out. I don't agree that the love triangle has caused disservice to any of the three storylines mentioned, it's sort of the other way, the triangle has been shoved to make space for them, and clearly, overall viewer interest is dropping since if the ratings are to go by (I'm not an insane ratings follower but those who are can maybe explain what's up with this). Everyone likes interesting side stories so long as they REMAIN side stories and don't hijack the basic premise. ..


    That's just clearly a shipper's perspective now, don't get me wrong, I think it's cool if you watch solely to see who gets to take Elena to the prom but, when it comes to the actual story, the triangle has been shoved down out throats for the last 10 episodes therefore, to say that Stefan/Elena/Damon didn't affect the ratings its simply not true: all we have seen its Elena going to the lake house with one brother, inside the bedroom of the other, being "protected" and getting "saved" by both. I already know her reaction to everything from Damon's bedside book to Stefan's personal Diary but we still don't know where did the werewolves go, what happened to the witches since the massacre when founding families took over the town and what wouldrealvampires think of the possibility to walk in daylight.


    As "fun" as the ongoing adventures of the Salvatore in Elena-land may be, what's missing out on this show is an actual take on the supernatural, IMO that's why the ratings have suffered the most.



    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gamrgrl007

    gamrgrl007

    [49]Mar 14, 2011
    • member since: 11/16/09
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 848

    ionee24 wrote:



    That's just clearly a shipper's perspective now, don't get me wrong, I think it's cool if you watch solely to see who gets to take Elena to the prom but, when it comes to the actual story, the triangle has been shoved down out throats for the last 10 episodes therefore, to say that Stefan/Elena/Damon didn't affect the ratings its simply not true: all we have seen its Elena going to the lake house with one brother, inside the bedroom of the other, being "protected" and getting "saved" by both. I already know her reaction to everything from Damon's bedside book to Stefan's personal Diary but we still don't know where did the werewolves go, what happened to the witches since the massacre when founding families took over the town and what wouldrealvampires think of the possibility to walk in daylight.


    As "fun" as the ongoing adventures of the Salvatore in Elena-land may be, what's missing out on this show is an actual take on the supernatural, IMO that's why the ratings have suffered the most.




    I don't watch it SOLELY to see who gets to take Elena to the prom, but when I signed up to watch a serial which has a love triangle at the centre of it, two of whom go to high school, I agreed to be interested in that aspect too. TVD is NOT, NEVER billed as a 'werewolf story' or a 'witch story' or even a 'supernatural story'. THIS: "THE VAMPIRE DIARIES is the story of two vampire brothers obsessed with the same beautiful girl, and battling to control the fate of an entire town." is the OFFICIAL PREMISE of the show,and I'm not going to be a pseudo-intellectual trying to get apple juice out of an orange.



    And I'm not unduly impatient, either. I'm interested in Tyler's story too, but do I want it started in eppy 13 and neatly wrapped up in eppy 16? No. Am I disappointed that I don't ALREADY know "where did the werewolves go, what happened to the witches since the massacre when founding families took over the town and what wouldrealvampires think of the possibility to walk in daylight"? No. I like the anticipation, and I DON'T want to know all that in one episode; that way the entire premise of the season can probably be summed up in 15 - 20 sentences. It's about EXPERIENCING the entire show, and EVERYTHING it includes, not reading the last page of the script.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ionee24

    ionee24

    [50]Mar 14, 2011
    • member since: 07/05/06
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 3,771

    ionee24 wrote:
    That's just clearly a shipper's perspective now, don't get me wrong, I think it's cool if you watch solely to see who gets to take Elena to the prom but, when it comes to the actual story, the triangle has been shoved down out throats for the last 10 episodes therefore, to say that Stefan/Elena/Damon didn't affect the ratings its simply not true: all we have seen its Elena going to the lake house with one brother, inside the bedroom of the other, being "protected" and getting "saved" by both. I already know her reaction to everything from Damon's bedside book to Stefan's personal Diary but we still don't know where did the werewolves go, what happened to the witches since the massacre when founding families took over the town and what would real vampires think of the possibility to walk in daylight.


    As "fun" as the ongoing adventures of the Salvatore in Elena-land may be, what's missing out on this show is an actual take on the supernatural, IMO that's why the ratings have suffered the most.

    gamrgrl007 wrote:
    ...And I'm not unduly impatient, either. I'm interested in Tyler's story too, but do I want it started in eppy 13 and neatly wrapped up in eppy 16? No. Am I disappointed that I don't ALREADY know "where did the werewolves go, what happened to the witches since the massacre when founding families took over the town and what wouldrealvampires think of the possibility to walk in daylight"? No. I like the anticipation...


    Problem is there is no anticipation when thethe werewolves leave theshow for as long as it takes Elena to see thatStefan was featured in her forefather's journal or thatDamon reads "Gone with the Wind" at nights, it was simply ridiculous the amount of time it took us to know there was a witches massacre and/or which role Emily and Bonnie play in all this, vampires all over the globe discovers there is a way to walk in daylight, without a ring, and we're still wasting our time with the two who are trying to save Elena instead: the love triangle has been shoved down our throats and that's what has costed this show its ratings.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gamrgrl007

    gamrgrl007

    [51]Mar 15, 2011
    • member since: 11/16/09
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 848

    ionee24 wrote:
    ... we're still wasting our time with the two who are trying to save Elena instead: the love triangle has been shoved down our throats and that's what has costed this show its ratings.


    Yeah, I can totally see how the audience of a show premised as "the story of two vampire brothers obsessed with the same beautiful girl, and battling to control the fate of an entire town' can be crushed that THAT very storyline is being shoved down their throats. You're apparently not the only one who wants this show to be SOME OTHER show; unlike you however, seems like those people have bailed already. Not sure if that's a bad thing, though.


    I'd rather have TVD go out while staying with the story rather than try to compete with some cable show who's USP is to titillate with weirdo porn and gore. I'm sure if a butt naked Somerhalder and/or Wesley fell atop (or sideways or any other progressively gruesomely awkward ways) a butt naked Nina Dobrev twice every episode (replace with any combo of couples or trios or whatevers of your choice) instead of reading stupid journals of deceased greatx10 grandparents even TVD's ratings would soar through the skies of middle America.


    A watered down, vocally, sartorially and conceptually censored show on a network that's meant for young girls and women and caters to a very large teen / tween segment, cannot compete with the crazy stuff that's now available 'legitimately' on cable disguised as 'stories with substance'.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ionee24

    ionee24

    [52]Mar 15, 2011
    • member since: 07/05/06
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 3,771

    gamrgrl007 wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:
    Problem is there is no anticipation when the werewolves leave the showfor as long as it takes Elena to see thatStefan was featured in her forefather's journal or thatDamon reads "Gone with the Wind" at nights, it was simplyridiculousthe amount of time it took us to know therewasa witches massacre and/or which role Emily and Bonnie play in all this, vampires all over the globe discovers there is a way to walk in daylight, without a ring, and we're still wasting our time with the two who are trying to save Elena instead: the love triangle has been shoved down our throats and that's what has costed this show its ratings.


    Yeah, I can totally see how the audience of a show premised as "the story of two vampire brothers obsessed with the same beautiful girl, and battling to control the fate of an entire town' can be crushed ...


    Don't get me wrong, the few shippers are still watching. The thing is, those are the only ones watching: What do you think will happen once the half rooting for one brother tune off the show for good because the other brother won? Half of 2 million viewers or even less at that point? By that point, it won't matter if they didn't develop the werewolves, witches or Caroline the vampire: no one would be watching.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gamrgrl007

    gamrgrl007

    [53]Mar 15, 2011
    • member since: 11/16/09
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 848
    ionee24 wrote:

    Don't get me wrong, the few shippers are still watching. The thing is, those are the only ones watching: What do you think will happen once the half rooting for one brother tune off the show for good because the other brother won? Half of 2 million viewers or even less at that point? By that point, it won't matter if they didn't develop the werewolves, witches or Caroline the vampire: no one would be watching.



    Nah, I'm sure you'll still be around to watch AND crib about it. Me, on the other hand, with my shipper myopia, if the brother I like gets the boot (which he most likely will), I'm going to start watching The Walking Dead. Or True Blood. Upgrade to serious TV and all that.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of DorinAdam

    DorinAdam

    [54]Mar 23, 2011
    • member since: 03/01/10
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 6

    oke,we get it we really dou don't like the love triangle....they'll branch out eventually....the have no choice,but to branch out the storyline




    and on the q ....about 5-6 seasons maybe more

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ionee24

    ionee24

    [55]Mar 24, 2011
    • member since: 07/05/06
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 3,771

    ionee24 wrote:
    gamrgrl007 wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:
    Problem is there is no anticipation whenthe werewolves leave the showfor as long as it takes Elena to see thatStefan was featured in her forefather's journal or thatDamon reads "Gone with the Wind" at nights, it was simplyridiculousthe amount of time it took us to know therewasa witches massacre and/or which role Emily and Bonnie play in all this, vampires all over the globe discovers there is a way to walk in daylight, without a ring, and we're still wasting our time with the two who are trying to save Elena instead: the love triangle has been shoved down our throats and that's what has costed this show its ratings.


    Yeah, I can totally see how the audience of a show premised as "the story of two vampire brothers obsessed with the same beautiful girl, and battling to control the fate of an entire town' can be crushed ...


    Don't get me wrong, the few shippers are still watching. The thing is, those are the only ones watching: What do you think will happen once thehalf rooting for one brother tune off the show for goodbecause theother brotherwon? Half of 2 million viewers or evenlessat that point? By that point, it won't matter if they didn't develop the werewolves, witches or Caroline the vampire: no one would be watching.



    DorinAdam wrote:
    oke,we get it we really dou don't like the love triangle....they'll branch out eventually....the have no choice,but to branch out the storyline


    I think its too late to branch out the storyline already, the show can't depend on half the viewers that will stay once the brother of their choosing "wins the girl": they need to branch out before that happens in order to ensure more viewers will stay regardless which Salvatore will prevail. If you only take Tyler away, the viewers who were already engaged on his storyline will leave as well, if you stall witchcraft as well then the viewers already engaged in Bonnie's storyline will leave as well, take down every part but Elena's and, by the time she actually makes a choice, no one will care for there's no Alaric, Caroline, Council and so on as well.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jstitely1

    jstitely1

    [56]Mar 24, 2011
    • member since: 03/19/06
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 471

    ionee24 wrote:


    ionee24 wrote:
    gamrgrl007 wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:
    Problem is there is no anticipation whenthe werewolves leave the showfor as long as it takes Elena to see thatStefan was featured in her forefather's journal or thatDamon reads "Gone with the Wind" at nights, it was simplyridiculousthe amount of time it took us to know therewasa witches massacre and/or which role Emily and Bonnie play in all this, vampires all over the globe discovers there is a way to walk in daylight, without a ring, and we're still wasting our time with the two who are trying to save Elena instead: the love triangle has been shoved down our throats and that's what has costed this show its ratings.


    Yeah, I can totally see how the audience of a show premised as "the story of two vampire brothers obsessed with the same beautiful girl, and battling to control the fate of an entire town' can be crushed ...


    Don't get me wrong, the few shippers are still watching. The thing is, those are the only ones watching: What do you think will happen once thehalf rooting for one brother tune off the show for goodbecause theother brotherwon? Half of 2 million viewers or evenlessat that point? By that point, it won't matter if they didn't develop the werewolves, witches or Caroline the vampire: no one would be watching.


    DorinAdam wrote:
    oke,we get it we really dou don't like the love triangle....they'll branch out eventually....the have no choice,but to branch out the storyline


    I think its too late to branch out the storyline already, the show can't depend on half the viewers that will stay once the brother of their choosing "wins the girl": they need to branch out before that happens in order to ensure more viewers will stay regardless which Salvatore will prevail. If you only take Tyler away, the viewers who were already engaged on his storyline will leave as well, if you stall witchcraft as well then the viewers already engaged in Bonnie's storyline will leave as well, take down every part but Elena's and, by the time she actually makes a choice, no one will care for there's no Alaric, Caroline, Council and so on as well.



    but if they do it all at once, then they will have nothing left to do, at the rate at which storylines are being chewed up even now, its going to be hard to come up with stuff. if they do witches focu sand werewolves focus all too soon, then nothing will be left to do when the show grows older and needs something fresh.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ionee24

    ionee24

    [57]Mar 24, 2011
    • member since: 07/05/06
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 3,771

    jstitely1 wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:
    I think its too late to branch out the storyline already, the show can't depend on half the viewers that will stay once the brother of their choosing "wins the girl": they need to branch out before that happens in order to ensure more viewers will stay regardless which Salvatore will prevail. If you only take Tyler away, the viewers who were already engaged on his storyline will leave as well, if you stall witchcraft as well then the viewers already engaged in Bonnie's storyline will leave as well, take down every part but Elena's and, by the time she actually makes a choice, no one will care for there's no Alaric, Caroline, Council and so on as well.


    but if they do it all at once, then they will have nothing left to do, at the rate at which storylines are being chewed up even now, its going to be hard to come up with stuff. if they do witches focu sand werewolves focus all too soon, then nothing will be left to do when the show grows older and needs something fresh.


    There's nothing on the werewolves and the witches as it is, all we know is that werewolves hate vampires and Tyler left town which is exactly all we knew about witches before Bonnie left town last season, we still don't know more about each race than we did the episode before, we don't know where witches and werewolves stand on reagarding one another, the Council itself doesn't know about that either,Matt doesn't know Tyler and Bonnie are one of each respectively, Bonnie doesn't know where Caroline stands on regarding Tyler, Caroline herself hasn't figured out that either and remind me again why are we wasting the story on Damon-Elena-Stefan drama when there's a curse that's supposed to free either all werewolves or all vampires which has a direct impact in the humans of Mystic Falls.

    Edited on 03/24/2011 3:48pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Kitanishi

    Kitanishi

    [58]Mar 28, 2011
    • member since: 01/20/08
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 766
    Not minding certain hater's posts in this thread.

    Overall, it depends on quality.

    For example:
    Buffy got way NOT enough seasons. It could have gone and gone and gone and If it was on season 12 now, I would STILL be happy.
    Supernatural has three seasons too much. It should have had a better season4, which would wrap up the story instead of trainwreck it became.

    As TVD as it is, I could live with 4 or 5 seasons of the show. As long as it does not degrade, I see a lot of potential in this show.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gamrgrl007

    gamrgrl007

    [59]Mar 29, 2011
    • member since: 11/16/09
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 848
    Kitanishi wrote:
    Not minding certain hater's posts in this thread.

    Overall, it depends on quality.

    For example:
    Buffy got way NOT enough seasons. It could have gone and gone and gone and If it was on season 12 now, I would STILL be happy.

    Supernatural has three seasons too much. It should have had a better season4, which would wrap up the story instead of trainwreck it became.

    As TVD as it is, I could live with 4 or 5 seasons of the show. As long as it does not degrade, I see a lot of potential in this show.


    ITA. I saw an episode of Supernatural last night, S2 Bloodlust, and I'd forgotten how absolutely amazing it used to be. I mean, I still watch it diligently but that's more out of hardcore loyalty than sheer fascination. If something goes on for too long and in a we-must-go-on fashion, I guess it loses that basic charm, and even the actors start looking jaded, sort of like Jensen Ackles does nowadays, doing it professionally rather than with genuine excitement. So I'm also not in favour of extending something, even something I absolutely love, for the heck of it. Same for TVD, right now, it has a lot of story left to tell. 30 more episodes later? We'll have to see.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of bdancer99

    bdancer99

    [60]Mar 30, 2011
    • member since: 09/30/09
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 463

    i think the show has the potential to last a lot of seasons, but then maybe the show won't be as good when they all graduate high school because thats happened with a lot of other shows, as soon as the characters leave high school, the show just isnt the same, but right now it is the best show on the cw and i think that if the writers keep up the excellent episodes then it'll be around for a while.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.