The Vampire Diaries Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on The CWIn Season

l.j. smith fired from the vampire diaries

jstitely1

[1]Feb 6, 2011
    • level: 12

according to an article with a letter attached from l.j. smith she has been fired from writing the vampire diaries. the reason was that she wasn't writing enough stelena, and that the publishers hated delena and bonnie stories. I'll find the article link and post it for you guys.

i hope this isn't bad news for delena fans in terms of the show

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jstitely1

[2]Feb 6, 2011

this is the link to one website that has the letter

http://damon-elena.tumblr.com/post/3137499168/lj-smith-email-to-me-regarding-being-fired-se-endgame

gamrgrl007

[3]Feb 6, 2011
    • level: 10

I don't know, is this a REAL letter? It seems like one of those Internet hoaxes to me. I don't know much about LJ or the books, but does SHE also generally refer to the couples as STELENA and DELENA, because that sounds quite ridiculous coming from the author of the series and not shipper fans. And the phrase, 'Stelena is endgame' or stuff like "And they really hated any Delena content-as well as the many scenes I had given to Bonnie, which they wanted to cut. They demanded only Stelena." is awfully juvenile. Publishers / packagers / marketing folks don't give a damn about anything except sales figures, and I doubt they care about 'Stelena / Delena' UNLESS their sales tanked because of the books having gone the Delena route (I haven't read the books so I don't know how Stelena / Delena are in them, so can't comment on that).

If the sales tanked b/c of Delena, then the 'sponsors' of the book have a right to demand that the story get reoriented to cater to the largest audience, because after all, this is a business for them. Professional writers are more than familiar with this exercise and know that if they want to earn from their work, they have to create what SELLS. I don't see LJ being so unprofessional after having been in the business for so long - unless she got sacked for something else (like demanding too much cash to write the next installment) and is now blaming it on Stelena and Delena and Bonnie. I mean, I understand artistic integrity, but whether you sell to a publisher or a book packager or TV network, you surely do understand that you HAVE to work within practical parameters so THEY can also recover their investment.

As for what this means for the show... I'm a heavy-duty Delena shipper, no secret there, but I don't think Stelena is totally unbearable in concept. The only reason I find Stelena meh is because Wesley/Nina aren't convincing onscreen and lack the EPIC chemistry that such an above-everything-else couple should literally EXUDE (Richard/Kahlan from LoTS, for example), but that doesn't take away from the fact that they DO have an eternal love story b/w them. So while I'd prefer Delena, I'm not going to weep my eyes out of Stelena lasts out so long as everything stays plausible.

Edited on 02/06/2011 7:50am

Rezitinas

[4]Feb 6, 2011
    • level: 1
    Here is the petition to sign. It requires you to have a twitter account though. http://twitition.com/bexb9

Also, spread the word around because this is seriously wrong. I don't know about you but I would hate to create this magnificent world and then have it taken away from me.

jstitely1

[5]Feb 6, 2011

here is a petition that doesn't require twitter

http://www.petitiononline.com/ljsmith/petition.html

MovieMark

[6]Feb 7, 2011
    • level: 30
    Until I read something official I aint buying it.

DuoMaxwell007

[7]Feb 8, 2011
    well they havent gotten that far in the show yet

SPOILERS

If i recall in the books the delena stuff doesnt start happening until after Stefan is gone (trapped in hell/purgatory/whatever and thus isnt around anymore... obviously Elena wouldnt be doing stuff or even considering Damon with Stefan still being there

So Im sure if the show goes that route we will indeed see that, until then I doubt Elenas the kinda character that would cheat on Stefan with him still being around

jstitely1

[8]Feb 10, 2011

here is another more offical kind of website

http://tvovermind.zap2it.com/thecw/the-vampire-diaries/vampire-diaries-lj-smith-fired-book-series/47708

ionee24

[9]Feb 15, 2011
    • level: 32

jstitely1 wrote:

according to an article with a letter attached from l.j. smith she has been fired from writing the vampire diaries. the reason was that she wasn't writing enough stelena, and that the publishers hated delena and bonnie stories. I'll find the article link and post it for you guys.

i hope this isn't bad news for delena fans in terms of the show

With all due respect and not to be mean: What the heck does that have to do with the show? The writers of TVD TV show not only are far superior but also completely different than the ghost writers for any given book. This shouldn't affect the story I'm watching at all.

Sorry if this is bad news for the books's followers.

Dec1964

[10]Feb 1, 2013
    • level: 35

No wonder season - 4 hasn't turned out the way it should be...