The Vampire Diaries Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

Official Episode Discussion 2.20: "The Last Day"

Kitanishi

[41]Apr 29, 2011
    • level: 9
    lanzie_rulz wrote:

Yeah Damon won't die - that would be the death of the show. Tyler wasn't properly turned, so either it will just take ages to heal, or some wolfs-bane will heal it or the moon stone will or something... Or, that potion thing Elijah had will be given to Damon as a "thank-you for killing my brother" present from him.

Also, Elena won't change into a Vampire. I haven't read the books, so I don't know if she's supposed to eventually, but it's too early in the series for them to do it... I'd give it another 2 season minimum before she'd be allowed to get turned.

So, instead I think she will wear Jeremy's ring during the ritual, thus not actually dying, thus allowing her to not become a Vampire or be dead. Remember, Elijah only said it wasn't certain whether the ring would work or not - not that it definitely wouldn't. Either that or Bonnie will cast the same spell on Elena that she used on herself to fain dead to Klaus.

Finally, DID NOT expect Jenna to get turned! That certainly came out of no-where. Well maybe this will give her a real plot line/improved personality like it did for Caroline.

Have you not been watching the episode.

RINGS DO NOT WORK ON HER. She is a supernatural being born through magic,a doppelganger, an identical and same person born the second(or __-th) time. Resurrection rings do not work. It would not work on Bonnie, so it certainly WON'T work on elena. Also it certainly WOULD NOT work on her NOW, because she has vampire blood in her system. Thats like 2x the supernaturalness.

As for "too early". People thought introducing Katherine won't be done till season 3 at least, people thought it would be "too early", people thought we won't see Klaus till next season too. TVD is known for going through multiple seasons worth on plot in very fast pace in one season.

Not to mention it would give us a nice double meaning to the title of 2x22, with both Elena and Damon "laying dying".

Also, this is sort-of the set up of Klaus as main Villain, since
    ***SPOILER***
    , it would make sense to give main character(Elena) the reasons to hate and opposite him(and hate him).

Also I do not see Jenna surviving next episode. They can't have thousands of vamps running around and we do have a funeral after all...

AS for the books,
    ***SPOILER***
    Edited on 04/29/2011 2:13am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

isildurelendil

[42]Apr 29, 2011
    • level: 11

Interesting episode. I like to note that Elena was in some ways responsible for pushing Damon to feed her his blood with her "it's my choice" speech. Kinda mirrored Katherine and Rose there. That aside, I'm prepared for any eventuality with regards to Damon. Just hope nobody gets killed off and then resurrected in some corny way. I always found such gimmicks annying as it ruins the impact of their death. Looking forward to seeing a hybrid.

Edited on 04/29/2011 4:22am

lanzie_rulz

[43]Apr 29, 2011

Kitanishi wrote:
    Have you not been watching the episode. RINGS DO NOT WORK ON HER. She is a supernatural being born through magic,a doppelganger, an identical and same person born the second(or __-th) time. Resurrection rings do not work. It would not work on Bonnie, so it certainly WON'T work on elena. Also it certainly WOULD NOT work on her NOW, because she has vampire blood in her system. Thats like 2x the supernaturalness.

Actually, as I said before they don't know whether the ring would work. Elijah said "odds are it won't work on her" to which Damon replied "Well I'm willing to take those odds". I have no idea how vampire blood in her system would change this, but I'm going by what they actually said in the show.

zovice

[47]Apr 29, 2011
    • level: 6
    All key ingredients are girls. Klaus lucky ba*****.

estella87

[48]Apr 29, 2011
    • level: 14

Why did they turn Jenna? There are vampires at every second corner in Mystic Falls and Klaus gets a new one? Also she's still transitioning so she needs to feed on human blood before turning - are they going to feed Elena to her? Wth?

Anyway, except for this weird twist that looks a lot like shark-jumping it was an amazing episode, I especially loved it when Elena had her talk with Stefan - that's the reason I love VD ( and exactly why I detest the whole Twilight saga).

zovice

[49]Apr 29, 2011
    • level: 6

From parts of the novel.

Super spoiler. Not my fault if you read this.

***SPOILER***

ionee24

[50]Apr 29, 2011
    • level: 32

ionee24 wrote:
    GiverSSJ wrote:
    Is Damon going to die now that hehas beenbitten by a werewolf?

Of course not: the Salvatore never die! Neither does Elena. He'll probably find a cure for himself in the 11th hour and the werewolf bite will lose all its danger.

On the bright side, this could mean Tyler & Caroline could be together after all.

lanzie_rulz wrote:

Yeah Damon won't die - that would be the death of the show. Tyler wasn't properly turned, so either it will just take ages to heal, or some wolfs-bane will heal it or the moon stone will or something... Or, that potion thing Elijah had will be given to Damon as a "thank-you for killing my brother" present from him. ...

Exactly! This show is about a love triangle, the Salvatore's love triangle to be precise: they are not going to kill Damon or Stefan of all people!

lanzie_rulz wrote:
    ...Also, Elena won't change into a Vampire. I haven't read the books, so I don't know if she's supposed to eventually, but it's too early in the series for them to do it... I'd give it another 2 season minimum before she'd be allowed to get turned.

So, instead I think she will wear Jeremy's ring during the ritual, thus not actually dying, thus allowing her to not become a Vampire or be dead. Remember, Elijah only said it wasn't certain whether the ring would work or not - not that it definitely wouldn't. Either that or Bonnie will cast the same spell on Elena that she used on herself to fain dead to Klaus.

Finally, DID NOT expect Jenna to get turned! That certainly came out of no-where. Well maybe this will give her a real plot line/improved personality like it did for Caroline.

Those are really good points you brought up: Elena is not going to be turned so, who could be better fit for a Gilbert vampire than aunt Jenna? It would affect both John and Jeremy just the same and it could lead to some great bonding scenes with Caroline. Jenna isn't Isobel but she's not exactly a member of the Council either which makes this a pretty interesting development all things considered. Here's hoping!

Edited on 04/29/2011 10:12am

estella87

[51]Apr 29, 2011
    • level: 14

Right now I think Elena will be turned into a vampire. It's "The Vampire Diaries" after all, not "The Human and Vampire Diaries".

Anyway, I don't see any other way for her to stop Klaus from performing the ritual than to turn and render her blood useless. I don't think Klaus' curs will be broken, because first: he'd be way too strong for anyone to kill and second: no one would actually try to kill him so he'd rule the world two seasons from now. Yeah, the main characters are reactive (at least that's the term we use in austria). And they are confined to a small town.

I'm just curious how they are going to explain Damon surviving a werewolf bite. I'm with you ppl, I also don't think he's gonna bite the dust

Kitanishi

[52]Apr 29, 2011
    estella87 wrote:

Why did they turn Jenna? There are vampires at every second corner in Mystic Falls and Klaus gets a new one? Also she's still transitioning so she needs to feed on human blood before turning - are they going to feed Elena to her? Wth?

Anyway, except for this weird twist that looks a lot like shark-jumping it was an amazing episode, I especially loved it when Elena had her talk with Stefan - that's the reason I love VD ( and exactly why I detest the whole Twilight saga).

WHy? Easy. Klaus is a sadist. Elena is going against him, so he most likely plans to take everything that he can away from her in before killing her.

He chose the sacrificial parts specifically out of elena's important people(First tyler and caroline, then when caroline ran, Jenna and Jules). He is enjoying to see Elena suffer.

AS for blood. Yeh. I would not be surprised if he compelled Jenna to drink Elena's blood, which would yet again add to mental torture.

angelust34

[53]Apr 29, 2011

I'm very curious to know how will Elena react when she finds out that Damon was bitten by werewolf?

Edited on 04/29/2011 12:15pm
    Edited 2 total times.

gamrgrl007

[55]Apr 29, 2011
    • level: 10

LOVED:

1. Kat standing in the sun to call Klaus' bluff - that r.o.c.k.e.d.

2. Damon freaking Kat out by saying she'd have to compete with Elena forever for Stefan if she didn't help him out - now THAT'S selling an idea

3. Elena stating that she DOESN'T want to be a vampire - and telling Stefan that he wasn't necessarily her ever after. Getting real now.

4. Caroline & Tyler *sigh*

5. Elijah commenting so calmly after Elena being fed blood and the fracas of Damon / Stefan fight upstairs that, oops, the potion's no good no more.

6. Greta being all-out a b*tch on her own volition - a real gangsta needs a real moll, and we have one finally!

7. That little Damon / Alaric / Klaus scene - nothing important, but it was perversely amusing.

Damon: Uh, how 'bout a raincheck, Klaus?

Klaus: No can do, bro. I'm all kitted out tonight!

8. The Jenna Thing!!! Wow, that was epic - because it really underlined what a SADIST Klaus is, he knows how to smash your very core.

Now Part II please - have her turn vamp by drinking Elena's blood!

CURIOUS ABOUT:

1. How young witch Greta is enough to conduct the ritual while Bonnie needs to channel a 100 more witches AND die to prevent the ritual.

2. What exactly Tyler has learned from Jules.

3. Can a werewolf do something to undo his own bite? But then again, if in werewolf form, the person doesn't know friends and foes so even if that was the case, Tyler probably can't help Damon.

4. End of the road for Jules? Somehow, I hope not, much as she's a negative character. We need a fatter werewolf storyline.

DID NOT GET:

1. STEFAN. He decides he trusts Elena's instincts because 'she trusted him', completely ignoring the gravity of a high school romance, albeit with a vampire, versus a ritual sacrifice involving said girl's death, likely permanent. Then he takes her on an unpleasant HIKE that she cribs about all the way, to... what? Hear how she feels about turning a vampire? Is that really the point at this moment? Is it worse than being dead? And if yes, they can stake her once she turns so it's not like being undead is permanent! Then they go home, he watches with his EYES CLOSED while she walks off with Klaus, then he calls Damon, who he abused last eppy and thrashed a few hours earlier for trying, in whatever way possible to ensure that Elena sort-of survives this mess, tells him she's gone off with Klaus, and then waits at home while Damon tries to execute part II of let's-wing-it-alone-plan involving the witch, the vampire, the werewolf and the wardrobe... W.T.F.??? What's WRONG with Stefan? Hiding behind a 17-year-old and misguided political correctness?

2. Mrs. Lockwood surviving THAT fall with a sprained wrist or a broken collarbone, whatever that sling was for.

3. Matt turning up at the tomb at that opportune moment of kill the Witch Guy. Where did he get the gun, the bullets, and how did he know where he'd encounter the crew when Damon himself didn't know anything about Caroline / Tyler except from Kat, and never expected Witch Guy?

4. ELENA. Damon had stepped out of the plan after all the bashing. Then she goes upstairs and provokes the hell emotionally out of him, messes hard with his head, knowing full well his promise to do whatever it takes to keep her safe. So of course he tries the next best thing to resurrecting her as a human with the ring - resurrecting her as a vampire. You play with deranged vamp, you get bitten. No brainer. And that comment about, he fed her blood because he knows nothing about love? Wow, JUDGMENTAL, lady. A guy's willing to die at a moment's notice for you and you throw him shade. My Delena Days are history. Elena and Stefan BELONG together, wrapped in their A-frame hugs and ridic "I Love Yous".

DO NOT WANT:

1. Elena being 'charitable' towards Damon just because he's dying.

2. Stefan being 'charitable' towards Damon just because he's dying.

3. Damon surviving on some ludicrous plot hole like the soap fiasco that renders werewolves useless.

4. Matt being forced into the storyline, however heroically, without logical explanation.

Edited on 04/29/2011 3:37pm

sunnykimmy

[56]Apr 29, 2011
    • level: 7

I have to say I loved this episode. It was so fast paced and I couldn't believe that it had ended when it did. I loved almost everything about it. Except for the fact that Stefan was kind of passive in this episode when it came to thinking of ways to save Elena.

I'm very sure that Damon will stay alive. Like you guys are saying, Tyler hadn't turned fully into a werewolf which hopefully lessens the effectiveness of the bite. Also I think that the vampires think that a vampire bite is fatal but something tells me that that was never the case. And that even Rose could've been saved. If I remember correctly when Rose was dying Damon went to Jules for help but she blew him off. But she never said that there wasn't a cure. Just because you don't know the cure doesn't mean there isn't one. So maybe Jules told Tyler the cure and he'll be able to help. Drinking a little bit of the blood of a werewolf after the full moon perhaps?

As for Elena I don't think she'll turn, not necessarily because it's too early but just because Damon knows she'll never forgive him if she turns so he'll look for a way to keep her from dying during the ritual (if he isn't too busy dying himselfthat is). Otherwise someone else will have to rain on Klaus' parade. Maybe Bonnie because I'm sure she wouldn't want Elena to turn.

As for Jenna, I think she will turn and to do so she will have to kill someone I think. I wonder who that'll be? Hopefully either Matt or John,preferably John.

sunnykimmy

[57]Apr 29, 2011
    • level: 7

Oh also I have a question. If the sun and the moon curse is fake why do vampires (like Katherine this episode) burn in the sun and werewolves only turn on a full moon? Is it psychological or did a witch put a spell on the species to make them believe in the authenticity ofthe curse? If so then the vampire rings only lift the spell for the vampireswho wear it?

PatriciaFleur

[58]Apr 29, 2011
    • level: 3
    haha buffy moment

lanzie_rulz

[59]Apr 29, 2011

Oh haha also, if Elena does turn, then she'll remember anything she was ever compelled to forget, right? Like that very heartfelt admission of love from Damon earlier in the season? That could be interesting.

I don't know how they're going to get Damon to not die - even Klaus said he's as good as dead so I assume Klaus knows of no cure...

Kitanishi

[60]Apr 29, 2011
    lanzie_rulz wrote:

Oh haha also, if Elena does turn, then she'll remember anything she was ever compelled to forget, right? Like that very heartfelt admission of love from Damon earlier in the season? That could be interesting.

Thats one of the MAIN reasons on why i think she will turn this season.

First we learn with Caroline on about when compulsion wears off, then Damon does that whole scene...Obviously she has to turn and remember while that scene is still "fresh", so I just can't see it being called back upon. lets say after one season from now. Oh and then she conveniently has her mother's sun-necklace(which could be respelled for herself and that would sort of complete the circle). Not to mention that Damon's current situation is way too perfect for her not to remember that line.