The Vampire Diaries Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

Official Episode Discussion 3.22: "The Departed"

MacAttac

[1]May 10, 2012
    • level: 9

Official synopsis: THE SECRET HERO — Determined to protect his sister, Jeremy makes a decision that will change everything. In the harsh reality of the present situation, Elena longs for simpler times when her parents, Grayson (guest star Jason MacDonald) and Miranda (guest star Erin Beute), and Aunt Jenna (guest star Sara Canning) were still alive and her biggest concern was her relationship with Matt. Stefan and Damon leave Mystic Falls together on a mission, but soon split up when Elena needs one of them. Caroline and Tyler are forced to make a life-changing decision. Finally, Bonnie makes a secret deal that has heartbreaking consequences.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

wildhoney66

[2]May 10, 2012
    • level: 13

though it's still on the air. i just gotta say this to get this off my chest! FINALLY Klaus gets Staked!

Kitanishi

[3]May 10, 2012

Okay this was a hilarious trainwreck.

I did not think it was possible but they managed to make even worse episode than previous finale, than whole sacrifice story, than Ghost World, than all bad parts of S3 merged together.

The episode has hit all the wrong notes.

It did nothing for Elena's character and flashbacks were pointless - they gave us nothing interesting and Elena remains boring and character-less EVEN in flashbacks so one can't just pass it to "post traumatic stress disorder" anymore. She was always bella swan.

Klaus in Tyler body was just LOL. Out of nowhere, just like a lot of things this season.

The "romance" scene with steffie was emotionless and bland and felt like something out of twilight. Same with Damon phonecall.

Turning gave no emotions to the viewer. NO reason to care about Elena or well, anything on what she is. BOORING. We have no reason to care about her loss of normal life, because her normal life development has complexity of first grader's math homework.

The only question remains is - HOW WORSE can this show get next season? I for one, am fed up with this already and won't be back.

Overall this show had a LOT of potential, but after first season writers just lost their way and started to do nonsense. The show completely went off any sensible direction right after Masquerade, with them having put Katherine in a tomb.

Season two sacrifice story was horrible. Elena characterization was a pure mary sue stuff of nightmares, she did not react to anything and the show established that death means nothing.

A lot of us hoped that after horrible finale something would change - steffie was supposedly bad and all that stuff and "nothing was the same" ...sadly S3 was worse. The show managed to waste all the "twists" of S2 finale, making the main trio even more unlikeable and bland, wasted perfect good villain, Klaus turning him into wussy and introduced a bunch of characterless "originals".

Whats worse, S3 had absolutely no direction. Every episode we would return to exact same point of story, bringing nothing new to the table. TVD was a headless chicken, running around the farm in all directions and bumping into the walls.

But FInale...finale was a failure of NBC's HEROES level.

Overall looking back, I still question on why the hell did they not turn Elena in the end of season one? Because ultimately both S2 and S3 were entirely pointless downward ride towards mediocrity till the point when show was not even enjoyable as trainwreck. Had she turned then, before her character degraded and we had thousands of other turnings, it might have been interesting? Now?

Sorry show, too little too late. You just proved with this episode that you do not know how to handle your own characters.

Overall I will certainly won't miss this show at all and the only regret is that i got out of it way too late, with memories of the GOOD QUALITY TVD stained by most of S3 mediocrity.

Edited on 05/10/2012 6:17pm
    Edited 4 total times.

KamakaLo

[4]May 10, 2012
    • level: 22
    Wow. Can I just say go Rebekah? being responsible for Elena's death. I wanted her dead after what she did to Damon. What a fool. Poor Damon once again gets his heart broken and also loses Alaric. If I was going to feel for any character on the finale it would be Damon and Jeremy. With Elena turning into a vampire though I'm sure she'll remember everything with Damon?.. I'll still continue to hate her though.

otakuami

[5]May 10, 2012
    • level: 6

That was great! Though I hope they'll bring Joesph Morgan back! Do you think they'll follow a bit of the book now? Just like in the book, I don't think they can leave Elena a vampire. I figured Fell gave her vamp blood, you don't bleed from the nose from a simple concussion and it was obvious Bonnie was up to something. But does this mean Bonnie got Tyler killed or is he suppressed like Ric was? Plus, being a vamp, Elena will remember her encounter with Damon so the fights not over, yay! Her relationship with Stefan is boring. This ending raised a bunch of questions, I'm so excited, do I really have to wait 4 or 5 months? (yes, I'm whining)

otakuami

[7]May 10, 2012
    • level: 6
    Agreed

KamakaLo

[8]May 10, 2012
    • level: 22
    I just want to say I'm over this triangle or so called triangle for good. I can't handle another season of this so writers keep your precious Stelena. Please let Damon move on for good and have a real romance with someone who will actually love him and only him.

wildhoney66

[11]May 10, 2012
    • level: 13

this wasn't that great of a season i agree. & them doing that with Klaus is another boring ass original storyline. they should have just killed his ass offically & NOT had any vampires die that we care about. & the way i look at it, though iv'e never read any of the books. i did read somewhere that she did get turned into a vampire in the books. well the original series anyways. & in the current book series i read they fired it's creator as you who read the series know, cause she wanted her to end up with Damon. & the people who run the show & the publishers didn't want that.

which is just wrong on soo many levels. but i do agree that turning her into a vampire & putting that scene in with Damon before her parents were killed. was a way to keep the triangle going. actually i think they should put her with Damon. cause it'd be interesting on how it affects the show.

anyways, this season i agree though, it did have some moments. but a lot of it was meh, the ruined Aleric's character a character i just loved.

& while i'm glad they didn't keep him on the show as a vampire making trouble. & they killed him off fairly quick. they should do the same with this original bullshit storyline. that's been on since last season! it's not what the show is suppose to be about. i also don't mind the occiasional flashback, but it does feel like they do get carried away as well. the good thing i think that even the though finale was a bit weak, it did have it's moments too. so the one good thing for me was that the ending didn't make me enraged like some cliff-hangers do. the same goes for "The Secret Circle' if that gets cancelled & i hope it doesn't got it's got promise.it did at least for me give me some clousure storywise.

meaning that it wasn't a cliff-hanger that got me mad either. i kinda expected the rest of their siblings to appear at some point. so that last shot wasn't surprising to be honest. that there's no doubt is next season story arc. anyways, as for 'Vampire Diaries" though i am not ready to quit it just yet. i hope next season is better than this season.

sakura11995

[12]May 10, 2012
    • level: 3
    Kitanishi wrote:

Okay this was a hilarious trainwreck.

I did not think it was possible but they managed to make even worse episode than previous finale, than whole sacrifice story, than Ghost World, than all bad parts of S3 merged together.

The episode has hit all the wrong notes.

It did nothing for Elena's character and flashbacks were pointless - they gave us nothing interesting and Elena remains boring and character-less EVEN in flashbacks so one can't just pass it to "post traumatic stress disorder" anymore. She was always bella swan.

Klaus in Tyler body was just LOL. Out of nowhere, just like a lot of things this season.

The "romance" scene with steffie was emotionless and bland and felt like something out of twilight. Same with Damon phonecall.

Turning gave no emotions to the viewer. NO reason to care about Elena or well, anything on what she is. BOORING. We have no reason to care about her loss of normal life, because her normal life development has complexity of first grader's math homework.

The only question remains is - HOW WORSE can this show get next season? I for one, am fed up with this already and won't be back.

Overall this show had a LOT of potential, but after first season writers just lost their way and started to do nonsense. The show completely went off any sensible direction right after Masquerade, with them having put Katherine in a tomb.

Season two sacrifice story was horrible. Elena characterization was a pure mary sue stuff of nightmares, she did not react to anything and the show established that death means nothing.

A lot of us hoped that after horrible finale something would change - steffie was supposedly bad and all that stuff and "nothing was the same" ...sadly S3 was worse. The show managed to waste all the "twists" of S2 finale, making the main trio even more unlikeable and bland, wasted perfect good villain, Klaus turning him into wussy and introduced a bunch of characterless "originals".

Whats worse, S3 had absolutely no direction. Every episode we would return to exact same point of story, bringing nothing new to the table. TVD was a headless chicken, running around the farm in all directions and bumping into the walls.

But FInale...finale was a failure of NBC's HEROES level.

Overall looking back, I still question on why the hell did they not turn Elena in the end of season one? Because ultimately both S2 and S3 were entirely pointless downward ride towards mediocrity till the point when show was not even enjoyable as trainwreck. Had she turned then, before her character degraded and we had thousands of other turnings, it might have been interesting? Now?

Sorry show, too little too late. You just proved with this episode that you do not know how to handle your own characters.

Overall I will certainly won't miss this show at all and the only regret is that i got out of it way too late, with memories of the GOOD QUALITY TVD stained by most of S3 mediocrity.

YOUR the one I meant to quote, it has been awhile since I've been on this website. The question still stands: ....Why do you still watch this show if you've hated it since season 2? Doesn't seem very logical to me.

Kitanishi

[13]May 10, 2012
    sakura11995 wrote:
    wildhoney66 wrote:

though it's still on the air. i just gotta say this to get this off my chest! FINALLY Klaus gets Staked!

....Why do you still watch this show if you've hated it since season 2? Doesn't seem very logical to me.

Caroline was awesome. Forwood was enjoyable, tangible and real pairing.

Last three episodes managed to ruin both of those positive points. What they did with Tyler this episode is utterly horrible asspull and unforgivable.
    Edited on 05/10/2012 7:44pm

nexpose

[14]May 10, 2012

So it looks like Alaric will be Jeremy's ghost buddy next season? Meaning he won't really be gone but will miss him being Damon's buddy and just helping out. I have no idea about this show's direction but I really liked the direction after Season 2. I feel it's going on a path I don't want but I'll deal with it all. If it's true what I once saw and this show lasts 6 seasons, I'd write it where the Originals didn't come around until season 4. It's hard to see how much more writers can do since nothing really trumps an original. And isn't the doppelganger blood thing over since Elena is now a vampire?

DougClark2

[15]May 10, 2012

The question still stands: ....Why do you still watch this show if you've hated it since season 2? Doesn't seem very logical to me.

Because as illogical, and quite frankly sad as it might seem...there are people in this world who aren't happy unless they're complaining about something. Unfortunately, that means sucking the fun out of little things for everybody else

Edited on 05/10/2012 8:23pm

Kitanishi

[16]May 10, 2012
    DougClark2 wrote:

The question still stands: ....Why do you still watch this show if you've hated it since season 2? Doesn't seem very logical to me.

Because as illogical, and quite frankly sad as it might seem...there are people in this world who aren't happy unless they're complaining about something. Unfortunately, that means sucking the fun out of little things for everybody else

Criticism. Deal with it.

Not all people watch the show for the triangle of boredom or unlikeable main trio. Not all people are blind enough to turn blind eye to the VERY obvious writing flaws of the show.

AS long as Caroline was awesome and Forwood was well-written, tangible and real, one could ignore the bad writing flaws that EVERYTHING ELSE In the show had

littlebitliz

[17]May 10, 2012
    • level: 2

Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I still love the show, and I don't want it for the triange. I like Elena, but what I really like best about the show is Damon and Stefan, the brothers, their relationship. I liked Caroline and Tyler a lot too, but I'm okay with it going it in a different reaction. And I am excited to see Elena as a vampire. Also really hoping we get to see more Dark!Bonnie, that would be cool.

littlebitliz

[18]May 10, 2012
    • level: 2
    littlebitliz wrote:

Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I still love the show, and I don't want it for the triange. I like Elena, but what I really like best about the show is Damon and Stefan, the brothers, their relationship. I liked Caroline and Tyler a lot too, but I'm okay with it going it in a different reaction. And I am excited to see Elena as a vampire. Also really hoping we get to see more Dark!Bonnie, that would be cool.

Sorry, meant to say I don't *watch it for the triangle*

KingofIPirates

[19]May 10, 2012
    • level: 32
    Meh; while I didn't like much of the episode as the bulk of the storyline remained rather weak throughout I did however find the ending intriguing. Hopefully this development could revitalize the series and bring it back to its former glory as it seemed to me they just started running out of ideas for the Original storyline.

Kitanishi

[20]May 10, 2012
    KingofIPirates wrote:
    Meh; while I didn't like much of the episode as the bulk of the storyline remained rather weak throughout I did however find the ending intriguing. Hopefully this development could revitalize the series and bring it back to its former glory as it seemed to me they just started running out of ideas for the Original storyline.

This episode in itself proved that they have no idea at all on how to write ELena's character.

An episode dedicated on her flashbacks added NOTHING to her no-personality empty cardboard cutout.

I doubt these writers will have any different luck with vamp-elena. They managed to make Katherine, the vampire, completely and uttelry boring too after all. They are treating Elena as a piece of furniture and not a character. Which she is.