Thursday 8:00 PM on The CWIn Season

Official Episode Discussion 3.22: "The Departed"

Kitanishi

[41]May 11, 2012
    • level: 9
    otakuami wrote:

ionee24 wrote:

KingofIPirates wrote:
    Meh; while I didn't like much of the episode as the bulk of the storyline remained rather weak throughout I did however find the ending intriguing...

I don't understand how could that be the case when the ending its a rip off of the last Twillight movie, only without a baby.

I didn't even need to watch it in orderto know this was only going to end with two Katherines (i.e. two Petrova vampires).

Except in the books, when Elena is turned she still doesn't behave like Katherine, Elena actually kills her.

Except book Elena is actually fascinating multilayered and well developed character, Elena has a PERFECT reason to want Katherine dead, there's no "doppelganger" concept and Katherine(who looks nothing like Elena) is insane. tv show on other hand pulled a twilight and now we have two whiny elenas.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

stanmorne

[43]May 11, 2012
    • level: 6
    Kitanishi wrote:
    otakuami wrote:

ionee24 wrote:

KingofIPirates wrote:
    Meh; while I didn't like much of the episode as the bulk of the storyline remained rather weak throughout I did however find the ending intriguing...

I don't understand how could that be the case when the ending its a rip off of the last Twillight movie, only without a baby.

I didn't even need to watch it in orderto know this was only going to end with two Katherines (i.e. two Petrova vampires).

Except in the books, when Elena is turned she still doesn't behave like Katherine, Elena actually kills her.

Except book Elena is actually fascinating multilayered and well developed character, Elena has a PERFECT reason to want Katherine dead, there's no "doppelganger" concept and Katherine(who looks nothing like Elena) is insane. tv show on other hand pulled a twilight and now we have two whiny elenas.

How does the book work if they're not alike or dopplegangers? Who is Kathrine then in it?

johnmarlena422

[44]May 11, 2012
    • level: 16
    stanmorne wrote:
    Kitanishi wrote:
    otakuami wrote:

ionee24 wrote:

KingofIPirates wrote:

How does the book work if they're not alike or dopplegangers? Who is Kathrine then in it?

Idk unless there's another version of them lol because I read the books and in the beginning it's very specific that the brothers notice the resemblance. In fact, Stefan even keeps his distance from Elena for that very reason.

arniarent

[45]May 11, 2012
    • level: 2
    What???

Leave us waiting for 4 months for next episode? That was a total cliffhanger, OMG!!

I think the writers are getting into too many complications. They should flush everything down the toilet, make the trio move somewhere else and restart things.

ionee24

[47]May 11, 2012
    • level: 32

Kitanishi wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:

KingofIPirates wrote:

you mean two elenas. since Katherine has been as boring and bland as elena for a season and a half now.

Touche

gatoraderising

[48]May 11, 2012
    • level: 7
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    gatoraderising wrote:
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    xxliveyourlife wrote:

was that a great finale or what?! I said it before. it wasn't that great of a season...there were many ups and downs but I think the finale brought the show back up!!! =) really really really mindblowing!!!

first Klaus did tell the truth and he in fact turned Katherine and she turend Stefan and he turned Damon and so on... But it took me a little bit when Ric staked him and Stefan and Damon didn't die right away.. but when Tyler had this look-a-like heart attack and Bonnie turned up I knew she did some kind of spell !!! But it really surprised me that she let Klaus live in Tyler's body, which means Tyler is in fact dead.

I can't tell you how many times I cried during the episode!! It's astonishing what this show and its characters do to me and my feelings!! when Caroline said goodbye to Tyler, I cried. When Elena chose Stefan, I screamed and cried at once!!! I knew she would choose him (oh and the kiss :O finally!!!! we (well I) waited so long for that!). But when Damon said goodbye to her, I cried too

it's just so said how many great characters have died already!! I actually didn't want that Ric dies, as I didn't want Jenna to die.

Props for the link between Elena's life before she meet Stefan and this episode! that was in fact really great! and now we know that Damon meet her first. so it's really generous of him to erase her memory and let her think that she first met Stefan and he 'brought' her back to life and saved him!

and the accident! Her father told Stefan to save her and she tells him to save Matt!! and the scene after she dies with Stefan sitting near her, crying, broke my heart!

but now Meredith saved her..that means she becomes a vampire?! which she never wanted...

what happens now?! urgh season finale means season break means we have to wait til September to find out!! oooouuiii

We still don't know what vampire line Damon and Stefan came from as Klaus never died.

Well if Elijah, Rebekah and Kol didnt turn the vampire who turned Rose that leaves only Klaus.

They are Originals. Which means manipulation and lies. We can't believe what they are saying. We still don't know who turned Rose.

Yes they are Originals who lie and use manipulation but when Elijah and Rebekah had their little talk after Klaus was "killed" what would be the point to lie to each other about who turned Crazy Mary.

Kitanishi

[49]May 12, 2012
    stanmorne wrote:
    Kitanishi wrote:
    otakuami wrote:

ionee24 wrote:

KingofIPirates wrote:

They LOOOK similar, in same way Buffy and Darla look similar. Similar body build, similar hair and hairstyle, similar facial features. But not identical. Otherwise they are entirely different people there and not even related. Which is obvious since Salvatore brothers pasts take place in italy and not in USA. Katherine is just insane sociopathic german girl driven insane by Klaus as the only survivor of her village. She was unhappy with the brothers tendencies to fight over her so she staged her own death. However that led to Stefan and Damon killing each other in a fight over her death(which is how they turned).

To make it clear. It does not even revolve around Elena. The only reason Stefan ever encounters her is because he was tracking his brother and at the start Stefan does not want to do anything with her, because of memories of Katherine.

Essentially both brothers form a bond with her, because she is an entirely different person in personality from more mellow Katherine(Elena is egoistic, self-assertive, aggressive independent woman who knows what she wants and makes sure she gets what she wants), which leads to Katherine causing Elena's car to crash on the bridge out of jealousy and Elena getting turned that way as the end of the first book, setting up plotline of all three wanting to kill Katherine(Since Elena lost her normal life she treasured so much, that was built up and shown in first book and both brothers not only found out that the reason for their immortality is alive but that also that reason just killed the girl they both liked.).

So yeah, entirely different characters. Entirely different situation.

TV show tried to pull it off but it was two seasons too late, after way too many turnings already. And tv-show Elena not having any normal life or any sort of personality also kills the mood for this. Are we supposed to care about piece of furniture being turned into vampire?

Ingelief

[50]May 12, 2012

hi what a episode im not totally happy with it though.

Elijah give his word to elena she agreed and he let rebekah just kill her like that?!

Damon was to far away to say goodbye they were hadding to town, but still rebekah could kill and come to elena?! How is that possible? It wasnt it was a big writters mistake.

Also elena a vampire? not happy with that either. Im team damon so now she is with stefan again, what will happen if she is a vampire? Will she kill someone?

Does she have to kill someone to transition?????? I forgot, the rest all killed someone.

also tyler aint klaus! So please bring klaus back *actor klaus* OH AND BTW i hope his body isnt dead because he is a hybrid they dont kill easily, lets hope im right here.

And then there is bonnie, bonnie going roque. I dont know.. i sort of get it but i sort of dont get it.

Question: was the scence with caroline and tyler really tyler or when did klaus kick in???

stanmorne

[51]May 12, 2012
    Kitanishi wrote:

They LOOOK similar, in same way Buffy and Darla look similar. Similar body build, similar hair and hairstyle, similar facial features. But not identical. Otherwise they are entirely different people there and not even related. Which is obvious since Salvatore brothers pasts take place in italy and not in USA. Katherine is just insane sociopathic german girl driven insane by Klaus as the only survivor of her village. She was unhappy with the brothers tendencies to fight over her so she staged her own death. However that led to Stefan and Damon killing each other in a fight over her death(which is how they turned).

To make it clear. It does not even revolve around Elena. The only reason Stefan ever encounters her is because he was tracking his brother and at the start Stefan does not want to do anything with her, because of memories of Katherine.

Essentially both brothers form a bond with her, because she is an entirely different person in personality from more mellow Katherine(Elena is egoistic, self-assertive, aggressive independent woman who knows what she wants and makes sure she gets what she wants), which leads to Katherine causing Elena's car to crash on the bridge out of jealousy and Elena getting turned that way as the end of the first book, setting up plotline of all three wanting to kill Katherine(Since Elena lost her normal life she treasured so much, that was built up and shown in first book and both brothers not only found out that the reason for their immortality is alive but that also that reason just killed the girl they both liked.).

So yeah, entirely different characters. Entirely different situation.

TV show tried to pull it off but it was two seasons too late, after way too many turnings already. And tv-show Elena not having any normal life or any sort of personality also kills the mood for this. Are we supposed to care about piece of furniture being turned into vampire?

You make me want to read the books! hehe but I hear Damon gets killed in it? Bummer. Elena vamp there almost sound like TV Kath when she was introduced.. Can one download it on Android or something?

atjp

[52]May 12, 2012
    • level: 11

I get that this is supposed to be a show about a love triangle, but it would really be nice if we could give it a rest for one season!

Kitanishi

[53]May 12, 2012
    stanmorne wrote:

You make me want to read the books! hehe but I hear Damon gets killed in it? Bummer. Elena vamp there almost sound like TV Kath when she was introduced.. Can one download it on Android or something?

I despise the writing style of the books. The ideas are good and the plot is good, but the writing itself and HOW its all written is horrible.

not exactly like tv katherine. Tv katherine is manipulative sure, but she is not as aggressive in her goal pursuit and ultimately is a coward.[

Book Elena essentially is very aggressive in following upon what she sets out to do. Egoistic, short-tempered, quick-to-anger, manipulative, but also playful and mischievous (one of better examples being throwing her sister's cat at damon's face, just to see how he reacts). She has no qualms of going over someone else's head to achieve what she wants or to use any means necessary for getting to her goal.

(to place an example, tv show Elena dated matt because she was lonely, book Elena dated him because she could and regarded him as just another new toy, however they eventually became genuine friends)

Elena is someone who is used to getting what she wants (thus getting outright rejected by Stefan pretty much ignites an obsession to "get him"). An ice queen on surface(Damon being first to actually note that she is more caring than she lets on). She is someone who has a lot of flaws, but ultimately is not beyond being heroic and selfless for the people she cares about. She reacts very violently, mercilessly and almost sadistically to anyone who tries to hurt people she cares about.

She is essentially pretty much a female version of book-Damon, which is exactly why those two pretty much click together as they start to know each other better.

The triangle itself is also different. Katherine was someone who drove the rift between brothers as far as possible (since you can't get further than killing each other out of hate). Elena is someone who intentionally is trying to unite them, to the point that at some point she pretty much commands them both to stop antagonizing each other or she will leave them both. She essentially even uses her own death to make sure that both brothers repair their relationship.

as I said, the huge downfall of the book is the twilight-ish writing style itself, which, while ideas are great and characterization is awesome, makes the books unreadable for me.

Also the books will forever be unfinished because publishers fired the book author(with the intent of having ghost writers write more pointless books that are full of continuity errors and can't even get names of characters right)

Edited on 05/12/2012 11:41am
    Edited 2 total times.

UnholyAngelGirl

[54]May 12, 2012

Everyone is going on about being sad for team delena.......you realise who's blood it was that the good doctor gave elena right? Damons.

I'm guessing they didnt do the turn at the end of the first series as she hadnt built up a strong connection to damon at that point and plus they were probably looking to hopefully have the show run 8-10 years. Or perhaps they didnt want the book readers to think they were going to follow the book storyline too closely.

Have to say though, I loved the scene with damon and rick when Damon realises Elena has died.

Edited on 05/12/2012 3:48pm

Kitanishi

[55]May 12, 2012
    UnholyAngelGirl wrote:

Everyone is going on about being sad for team delena.......you realise who's blood it was that the good doctor gave elena right? Damons.

I'm guessing they didnt do the turn at the end of the first series as she hadnt built up a strong connection to damon at that point and plus they were probably looking to hopefully have the show run 8-10 years. Or perhaps they didnt want the book readers to think they were going to follow the book storyline too closely.

the fact that they won't follow book storylines was obvious since episode one because of more bella-swan-ish Elena and pretty much no one acting or looking like their book counterparts. I'd say that message was very clear back then and frankly I had no problems with that as long as the show was good.

The very fact that it was a boring doctor who overstayed her welcome on this show and not Damon in some direct way, ALREADY removes his guilt for that, which was technically major factor in the books and would technically be useful for DE.

Except that those two seasons did both relationship more worse than good(Damon snapping jeremy's neck, anyone? Steffies alcoholic plot of boredom?). S2 and S3 adds absolutely nothing to the story, absolutely nothing to Elena, absolutely nothing good to triangle.

What's more S2 and S3 damaged and assassinated ELena's character beyond repair. Sacrifice storyline notably led Elena from "just bearable" to queen of mary sues and blandness. If I was capable of caring about her and her life IN S1 because we explored her life, somewhat, back then, now I can't wait for her to get out of the episode scenes. I really doubt that loud cheering is what writers expect when Elena gets hurt...

The two seasons also damaged the triangle itself and sucked out anything that was exciting about DE and SE.

What was the point of those two seasons EVEN BEING there?

not to mention all the other turnings already remove ANY shock value from this one.

By now it all feels like : "oh look we have this plate and we will totally put that huge steak to it for you, but first of all let's make sure its cooked real good....oops sorry we accidentally crapped into a plate, well let's give you that steak now...."

xxliveyourlife

[56]May 13, 2012
    • level: 5

ummhaniyyah wrote:
    Klaus didn't turn Katherine. She was turned by the hoarder vampire lady Stefan and Damon went looking for. The question was who had turned that vampire and we never got a clear answer because Cole killed her. In the scene with Rebekah and Elijah consoling one another over Klaus' death they talk about how it wasn't either of them and not Cole and Rebekah says that she is certain that it was Klaus.
    xxliveyourlife wrote:

was that a great finale or what?! I said it before. it wasn't that great of a season...there were many ups and downs but I think the finale brought the show back up!!! =) really really really mindblowing!!!

first Klaus did tell the truth and he in fact turned Katherine and she turend Stefan and he turned Damon and so on... But it took me a little bit when Ric staked him and Stefan and Damon didn't die right away.. but when Tyler had this look-a-like heart attack and Bonnie turned up I knew she did some kind of spell !!! But it really surprised me that she let Klaus live in Tyler's body, which means Tyler is in fact dead.

I can't tell you how many times I cried during the episode!! It's astonishing what this show and its characters do to me and my feelings!! when Caroline said goodbye to Tyler, I cried. When Elena chose Stefan, I screamed and cried at once!!! I knew she would choose him (oh and the kiss :O finally!!!! we (well I) waited so long for that!). But when Damon said goodbye to her, I cried too

it's just so said how many great characters have died already!! I actually didn't want that Ric dies, as I didn't want Jenna to die.

Props for the link between Elena's life before she meet Stefan and this episode! that was in fact really great! and now we know that Damon meet her first. so it's really generous of him to erase her memory and let her think that she first met Stefan and he 'brought' her back to life and saved him!

and the accident! Her father told Stefan to save her and she tells him to save Matt!! and the scene after she dies with Stefan sitting near her, crying, broke my heart!

but now Meredith saved her..that means she becomes a vampire?! which she never wanted...

what happens now?! urgh season finale means season break means we have to wait til September to find out!! oooouuiii

I know that.. I mean in my eyes I think Klaus really was the one who turned that woman that turned Rose... I mean it's his bloodline for sure. why would Elijah and Rebekah lie to each other. idk

Edited on 05/13/2012 4:06am

stanmorne

[57]May 13, 2012
    Kitanishi wrote:
    stanmorne wrote:

I despise the writing style of the books. The ideas are good and the plot is good, but the writing itself and HOW its all written is horrible.

not exactly like tv katherine. Tv katherine is manipulative sure, but she is not as aggressive in her goal pursuit and ultimately is a coward.[

Book Elena essentially is very aggressive in following upon what she sets out to do. Egoistic, short-tempered, quick-to-anger, manipulative, but also playful and mischievous (one of better examples being throwing her sister's cat at damon's face, just to see how he reacts). She has no qualms of going over someone else's head to achieve what she wants or to use any means necessary for getting to her goal.

(to place an example, tv show Elena dated matt because she was lonely, book Elena dated him because she could and regarded him as just another new toy, however they eventually became genuine friends)

Elena is someone who is used to getting what she wants (thus getting outright rejected by Stefan pretty much ignites an obsession to "get him"). An ice queen on surface(Damon being first to actually note that she is more caring than she lets on). She is someone who has a lot of flaws, but ultimately is not beyond being heroic and selfless for the people she cares about. She reacts very violently, mercilessly and almost sadistically to anyone who tries to hurt people she cares about.

She is essentially pretty much a female version of book-Damon, which is exactly why those two pretty much click together as they start to know each other better.

The triangle itself is also different. Katherine was someone who drove the rift between brothers as far as possible (since you can't get further than killing each other out of hate). Elena is someone who intentionally is trying to unite them, to the point that at some point she pretty much commands them both to stop antagonizing each other or she will leave them both. She essentially even uses her own death to make sure that both brothers repair their relationship.

as I said, the huge downfall of the book is the twilight-ish writing style itself, which, while ideas are great and characterization is awesome, makes the books unreadable for me.

Also the books will forever be unfinished because publishers fired the book author(with the intent of having ghost writers write more pointless books that are full of continuity errors and can't even get names of characters right)

Wow this elena sounds like female season 1 Damon basically. Why was the authors fiired? Same reason that some Show writers should be?

Tvking00

[58]May 13, 2012
    • level: 5

Um wow this episode was all over the place I was confused the whole Ididn'tknow what was going on. That cliffhanger had zero effect on probably because I saw it coming from a mile away *Kanye Shrugs*. I cant believe the writers had the balls to let Tyler get possessed by Klaus with means he'll be here EVEN LONGER UGH, I think the writers realized they wrote themselves into a corner and made that up at the last minute because it felt forced IMO. Wow 80% of this episode was "Choose Elena Choose".

jstitely1

[59]May 13, 2012
    • level: 12

stanmorne wrote:
    Kitanishi wrote:
    stanmorne wrote:

Wow this elena sounds like female season 1 Damon basically. Why was the authors fiired? Same reason that some Show writers should be?

She was fired because she wanted to make the triangle end with DE, but the publishers told her SE, and she said no

Kitanishi

[60]May 13, 2012
    stanmorne wrote:

She wanted the triangle to end with either DE or a polygamy of sorts. Publishers thought its way better to "capitalize on twilight's success" instead., thus they used a legal clause in her contract and fired her WHILE retaining rights to her creative works...