The Vampire Diaries Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on The CWIn Season

The Stefan/Elena/Damon triangle

JoeWashington8

[1]Feb 15, 2011
    • level: 9

How do you want it go on for? Another season? The entire series?

Me personally, I rather the triangle gets wrapped up sooner than later and have the show move onto other things. Lost made the mistake of prolonging a romantic triangle through the entire series and when it was finally resolved in the series finale, few people cared about it.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

gamrgrl007

[2]Feb 16, 2011
    • level: 10
    JoeWashington8 wrote:

How do you want it go on for? Another season? The entire series?

Me personally, I rather the triangle gets wrapped up sooner than later and have the show move onto other things. Lost made the mistake of prolonging a romantic triangle through the entire series and when it was finally resolved in the series finale, few people cared about it.

Totally agree. It's already lost steam anyway and is now ruining Damon's character on the show; besides S/E never generate the drama required to keep a 'love triangle' smoldering. Currently it's become like Twilight: a love LINE with a token third angle. Whether Elena stays with Stefan or moves to Damon, it can only be DONE ONCE and DONE SOON to retain credibility and integrity of all characters involved. Otherwise it will just be like Gossip Girl which ruined ALL important couples - Chuck/Blair, Nate/Blair, Nate/Serena, Dan/Serena, Dan/Vanessa, and now going for Dan/Blair, etc. etc. by playing musical chairs.

HappyGirl818

[3]Feb 18, 2011

I think that, whether we like it or not, there will not be a final resolution to this triangle until the end of the show. It may not always be the most prominent feature, but the love triangle will always be apparent in some way or another. I don't think the writers have dragged it out too much yet simply because I don't feel like it's even a real love triangle. For me to consider it a real love triangle, I need to see Elena conflicted over Stefan and Damon and as of right now that's not really happening. She loves Stefan and cares about Damon. Deep down she may feel something more for Damon and be in denial over it, but right now she hasn't overly shown romantic feelings for him. I really think for them to move this triangle forward that sometime before the seasons over we need to see tangible proof that Elena has feelings for Damon too. I'm not saying it needs to be any big gesture, but there needs to be a little something otherwise this so called "triangle" is going to get stagnant fast.

Edited on 02/20/2011 1:34am

alirk

[4]Feb 21, 2011
    • level: 22

HappyGirl818 wrote:

I think that, whether we like it or not, there will not be a final resolution to this triangle until the end of the show. It may not always be the most prominent feature, but the love triangle will always be apparent in some way or another. I don't think the writers have dragged it out too much yet simply because I don't feel like it's even a real love triangle. For me to consider it a real love triangle, I need to see Elena conflicted over Stefan and Damon and as of right now that's not really happening. She loves Stefan and cares about Damon. Deep down she may feel something more for Damon and be in denial over it, but right now she hasn't overly shown romantic feelings for him. I really think for them to move this triangle forward that sometime before the seasons over we need to see tangible proof that Elena has feelings for Damon too. I'm not saying it needs to be any big gesture, but there needs to be a little something otherwise this so called "triangle" is going to get stagnant fast.

I agree 100%. I don't see them (the writers) wrapping up this "love triangle" anytime soon...

lillyland

[5]Feb 23, 2011
    • level: 8

I honestly wish this whole non-triangle thing was over. The "doppleganger" thing is enough - do we really need a love triangle too? Damon is such a strong character on the show, I feel like this is diminishing it. It would be cool if they found someone formidable for him. I mean come on - it's been 150 years! And to boot, he's somehow fallen in love with the same/different woman? Really? Let's move it along already!

A triangle requires 3 willing participants. I think Elena "likes having both worship at her alter" as Katherine put it but she hasn't shown any willingness to get involved with Damon. TPTB need to move Damon on or move him out. The Damon I've come to know would not have hung around all this time once he realized he couldn't come between them. If he were that tortured by his unrequited love he probably wouldn't hang around town watching the object of his affection ride off into the sunset with his brother night after night. It's a betrayal of his character. The longer this goes on the less credible his character is becoming. Just my 2 cents...

gatoraderising

[6]Feb 24, 2011
    • level: 7
    lillyland wrote:

I honestly wish this whole non-triangle thing was over. The "doppleganger" thing is enough - do we really need a love triangle too? Damon is such a strong character on the show, I feel like this is diminishing it. It would be cool if they found someone formidable for him. I mean come on - it's been 150 years! And to boot, he's somehow fallen in love with the same/different woman? Really? Let's move it along already!

A triangle requires 3 willing participants. I think Elena "likes having both worship at her alter" as Katherine put it but she hasn't shown any willingness to get involved with Damon. TPTB need to move Damon on or move him out. The Damon I've come to know would not have hung around all this time once he realized he couldn't come between them. If he were that tortured by his unrequited love he probably wouldn't hang around town watching the object of his affection ride off into the sunset with his brother night after night. It's a betrayal of his character. The longer this goes on the less credible his character is becoming. Just my 2 cents...

I dont really see it as a betrayal to his character if anything it show that there more to his character then just a one sided coin. If all he did was go around and do things for himself that would get old and he's character would have no room for growth. I do think that if this whole Klaus thing wasnt going on i would doubt that Damon would still be in town...

gamrgrl007

[7]Feb 26, 2011

Well, Damon waited 150 years for Katherine so why not a a few odd months or years for Elena, that sort of a thing, an eternal, unrequited love all over again. I mean, he was hurt, despite knowing and understanding everything, even in The House Guest when Katherine said she was okay with him dying in general, and to save Stefan, specifically. So he's a deeply emotional guy, which IS his strongest character trait that influences both the very good and very bad in him. While he's currently given up on having Elena has his love, I suppose he's still unable to really let go deep in his heart, and is still here hoping against hope, or maybe he'd rather have her in his life as a friend than not have her at all, having gotten used to, even addicted to, her warmth, so to speak, because even at her coldest, she's caring towards him, unlike anyone else in his life. I mean, this mess with Elena has been essential for him to acknowledge his human side and let go of his wanton evilness, so it was crucial to the evolution of his character in the long run. He's moving from being the villain of the show to being more of an anti-hero, which is overall a positive improvement.

That said, it's currently not a love triangle, as everyone has noted. It was tending towards a triangle near the end of S1, when Elena was showing indications of ambivalence, but this season started off with shutting that door from her side with a loud bang. For the love triangle to happen again, Elena needs to make a move towards Damon, in a way that does not appear slutty on her part and a consolation prize for Damon, which appears unlikely in this season unless presented as a cliffhanger to S3.

bkto

[8]Mar 8, 2011
    • level: 7

all i know is elana is adorable when she looks at damon with that unapproving look of hers. its the only thing i like about her more than katherine (who i believe should be with stephan, and damon with elana)

i say keep it going the whole show, it's what i like most. everything else is subplot, and quite interesting at that. this is one of my favourite television shows. very well done

(and nina improved her acting from those few years of degrassi for anybody who didn't live in canada )

LeeMaggie

[9]Apr 20, 2011
    • level: 1

he is so adorbale i love damon,he is such gentle!

the vampire diaries season 2 dvd

the big bang theory season 3 dvd set

alirk

[10]Apr 21, 2011
    • level: 22

LeeMaggie wrote:

Adorable? Yes. Gentle? Are you kidding me? He is the furthest thing from gentle...

gamrgrl007

[11]Apr 21, 2011
    [QUOTE="alirk"]

LeeMaggie wrote:

Adorable? Yes. Gentle? Are you kidding me? He is the furthest thing from gentle...

I think she meant 'gentle' with Elena As for the so-called 'triangle', I know the decade dance and stuff happened, and Damon said I'll always choose you, but Elena is STILL not interested and I agree everyone that it's really beginning to make Damon look like a loser. He's trying to prove to Elena that he loves her but she ALREADY KNOWS it and DOESN'T CARE about it - so what are we waiting for? Stefan to screw up so Elena can be upset with him for a while and Damon gets some doggie-bag action and then back to Stefan/Elena and the third wheel? I say either make it a triangle, get Elena into the action, or else have Damon move onto some else or be by himself with his casual babes.

toridiva

[12]Apr 21, 2011
    • level: 3
    But the love triangle hasn't even been that big of a deal this season. Season One it was Obvious....The early part of Season 2 it became obvious again

But then Rose came along and Damon obviously felt something for her....And Andie as well...It seemed like at the end of the "Klaus" episode, he obviously cares for as well or else he would have just killed her without any further thought.

It's not like EVERY episode he is pining over Elena.
    In fact, it just recently started coming back in the forefront in the last episode before "Klaus"