The Vampire Diaries Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

TheVampireDiaries vs. Buffy the Vampire Slayer ---CHARACTERS RESEMBLANCE ---

cacay21

[1]Jun 25, 2011
    • level: 6

Grant it that tVD only has two seasons so far so the plot resemblance are sorta few in counts, plus its both a supernatural show so the odds of plot resemblance are pretty high. But the characters are pretty much, well, they play the same roles and conflicted with same insecurities. As a TV addict, i can't help it but compare and comment.

The VAMPIRE DIARIES - BUFFY the VAMPIRE SLAYER

The Belle-of-the-Ball Heroine: Elena Gilbert - Buffy Summers

In the battle between Elena and Buffy, well if its a physical on-hand combat, it won't be fair to Elana for Buffy has her super strength. Plus, everybody loves Buffy since she is actually the hero of the show and she change the role of the heroine's as the damsel. But I gotta give props to Elena for not being the typical shallow queen bee. Everybody loves her, she's very famous and yet she's not the head cheerleader (thank heavens for that). I love Buffy but I respect the idea of Elena so I think its subjective which you think is better.

The Brooding Eternally tortured Doo-Gooder Vampire: Stefan Salvatore - Angel(Angelus)

In the

The Dark Twisted Vampire: Damon Salvatore - Spike (William the Bloody)

The Mr.Know-All-Supernatural-Stuff-Stocked-in-a-Boring-Job mentor: Alaric Slatzman - Rupert Giles

The Non-Heroic Tasteful Opposite of our Heroine: Katherine Pierce (Katerina Petrova) - Faith

The Witchy Pose Best-Friend: Bonnie Bennet - Willow Rossenberg

The Non-Super-wanna-be-part-of-the-gang dude: Jeremy Gilbert - Xander Harris

The Tactless Insecure yet adorable super: Caroline Forbes - Anya (Anyanka)

The new-to-the-supers-turned-out-to-be-a-werewolf Dude: Tyler Lockwood - Oz

Jenna Sommers - Joyce Summers

(I fear tVD biased fans would tackle me to death)

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Kitanishi

[2]Jun 25, 2011
    • level: 9
    ITs not exactly correct to place Elena with Buffy

Buffy is Katherine. Faith is Katherine. Drusilla is Katherine. Darla is Katherine.

Tv-show Elena is closer to being Dawn than Buffy.

And yes its an old fact. TVD even copies 1:1 the scenes from BTVS(close uyour eyes, for example).

But otherwise its unfair to compare.

TVD is EXTREMELY inferior compared to BTVS and even if characters have similarities TVD versions are nothing but inferior copies

angelpuppet

[3]Jun 26, 2011
    • level: 11

STOP COMPARING IT TO BUFFY TVD IS **** COMPARED TO BUFFY

nairhart01

[4]Jun 26, 2011
    • level: 14

Oh, my gosh... all the people who are pointing out the comparisons between TVD and Twilight, TVD and Buffy, TVD and Underworld, TVD and True Blood... People just need to take a breath and enjoy the show. Yes, there are comparisons, but you can compare any two shows and find shocking similarities. Friends was Seinfeld with younger people... as well as Cheers, minus the bar (just look at the character traits in Friends and Cheers. They even made fun of it once on an award show). Both are great shows, so how about we all just enjoy them for what they are.

BTW I don't see any similarities between Caroline and Anya. Alaric is nowhere near a Giles. He just knows how to kill vampires. He's a vampire hunter (and an awesome character). Also, I think the Jeremy/Xander comparison was a huge stretch. A few of those were quite reaching. Faith and Katherine, I can see, although REMEMBER that the character of Katherine (as well as many of the TVD characters) existed FAR before the BtVS characters did. Yes, I know that there were changes made, but the essence is still there in each.

Kitanishi

[5]Jun 27, 2011
    nairhart01 wrote:
    I can see, although REMEMBER that the character of Katherine (as well as many of the TVD characters) existed FAR before the BtVS characters did. Yes, I know that there were changes made, but the essence is still there in each.

No.

Books Katherine is NOTHING like TV-Show Katherine.

Books-Katherine is basically a more-mad Drusilla. She has NOTHING to do with tv-show-Katherine(which is more similar to tvd-books-Elena)

Going with BTVS comparisons, TV-Show Katherine is more based on Buffy(personality and character) and Faith(the mirror-like relationship with Elena and reverse development opposite to Elena's, just like Faith found her way to redemption as Buffy grew darker and more broken, Katherine seems to start caring about others as Elena starts to display more katherine-like traits.)

cacay21

[6]Jun 27, 2011
    • level: 6

not as much as comparing as to pointing out what I see... After the Twilight series ruined vamps for me, am thankful for trueBlood and Vampire Diaries for giving justice and respect to the great vamp. literature. With the works of Bram Stoker and Anne Rice.

Might I just point out that, Buffy is Elena... it is not as to what personalities. It is the role they play in the show. Buffy and Elena is the object of the show. The story revolves around them. disregard the fact that the Buff has super strength. Character-wise, she was well developed. Elena, not much, but I have high hopes for what she could be in the seasons to precede.

Another thing, Katherine is not TVD's Drusilla/Darla/Buffy... It is not the fact that Katerina is a super vamp and a villainous one. Her character is more as that of Faith's in BtVS. Faith was the other slayer, her conflict with Buff was the fact that she could've had that life Buffy have, her fam, her friends, her watcher. But she is not Buffy. Same goes with Katherine. Katherine is the original Petrova doppleganger, making her and Elena having the same faith but are the exact opposite of each other... Elena-Katherine ... Buffy-Faith...

and here's another question risen, Caroline as TVD's Cordelia/Anya... Some would say she's TVD's Harmony... True, her personality is more like that of Harmony, but her role was that role Cordelia and Anya played in BtVS... Cordelia was the queen bee with all her insecurities, granted that she jump ship with Angel, giving way for Anya to be the insecure tactless formerly-super member of the Scoobies. Cordelia and Anya is the very definition of Caroline. Caroline started as the damsel and magnet of all that is dangerous (Damon, Logan (season1)) then she became a vamp, and her annoying insecurities made her the chirpy member of the gang.

Actually, I think TVD should be honored to be in comparison with such a great show like BtVS. Unlike if they are to be in comparison with the lame characters of Twilight. Comparing Twilight with TVD and True Blood is like an insult. (to TVD and TruBlood not to S.Meyer's lame stories)

If you want the inappropriate comparisons to stop, then tell all those Twihards to stop comparing Harry Potter to the Twilight series... that is just unjust..

hell693

[7]Oct 3, 2011
    • level: 11
    I think its not fair to compare these two shows they are both great and about vampires but they are completely different shows in my opinion.

CortezDC

[8]Oct 3, 2011
    • level: 3

I think what the original poster means in comparing the shows, is that he/she sees things in TVD that remind him/her of characters in Buffy. The poster is not saying that TVD copied or ripped off something from Buffy, simply saying that it's fun seeing similiaries even though others may not see them. We all do, we'll be watching a tv show and think, hey this reminds me of this show or that show or this movie.

Kitanishi

[9]Oct 3, 2011
    CortezDC wrote:

I think what the original poster means in comparing the shows, is that he/she sees things in TVD that remind him/her of characters in Buffy. The poster is not saying that TVD copied or ripped off something from Buffy, simply saying that it's fun seeing similiaries even though others may not see them. We all do, we'll be watching a tv show and think, hey this reminds me of this show or that show or this movie.

-----------------------------

Except that this show is known to copypasta stuff. Be it buffy, twilight, underworld, true blood or god knows what else

HanroHetta

[10]Oct 4, 2011
    • level: 1
    I agree with nairhart01. stop comparing the shows and enjoy a great representation of vampires. This show actually doesn't even concentrate just on vampires, theres witches, werewolfes, and love and friendship and all the things that I would want to see in a series.

Kitanishi

[11]Oct 5, 2011
    HanroHetta wrote:
    I agree with nairhart01. stop comparing the shows and enjoy a great representation of vampires. This show actually doesn't even concentrate just on vampires, theres witches, werewolfes, and love and friendship and all the things that I would want to see in a series.

------------------------------
    Hm, let's see:
    Werewolves? Existed in BTVS. Not to mention Klaus plot being ripped off from Underworld movies.
    Witches? Key focus in BTVS.
    LOVE? Apart from forwood I don't see any love in TVD.
    FRIENDSHIP? Yes. with whom? The only convincing friendship in the show is that Elena, offscreen, is best buddies with Bella Swan, because their personalities fit so much.