The Vampire Diaries Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on The CWIn Season

What are some major plotholes you've spotted?

hell693

[21]Dec 4, 2011
    • level: 11
    Mabelyn1 wrote:
    Well one hole i noticed is Rebeka getting into the salvadors house. Didn't they trust it to Elena and only people she allows to come in can come in. How did she get in without her saying so.

She got in because Elena died in season 2 so she doesnt own the house now.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ionee24

[22]Dec 5, 2011
    • level: 32
    ionee24 wrote:
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    Smilie20 wrote:
    My Number 1 plothole is: How is Zach Damon and Stefan's NEPHEW???
    Do you remember the name of the episode that was stated?
    It was all over season 1 before Vickie was turned (and she was a plot hole in itself). That "nephew" plot hole STILL pisses me off.

CheckeredYcats wrote:

He was never called their nephew.

Stefan called him their nephew himself back in season 1, just because the attention span of the writers is 0, that doesn't mean my attention span doesn't work.

In the DVD/TiVo era, plot holes are not cute.

gatoraderising

[23]Dec 6, 2011
    • level: 7
    If Stefan and Damon's father had a brother or sister and they had kids they would be Stefan's cousin's and their offspring over 100 plus years would call Stefan and Damon uncle.

jstitely1

[24]Dec 6, 2011
    • level: 12

gatoraderising wrote:
    If Stefan and Damon's father had a brother or sister and they had kids they would be Stefan's cousin's and their offspring over 100 plus years would call Stefan and Damon uncle.

yeah i call my aunt barb, aunt even though she really isn't and is only the aunt to my mother. it all depends on the family

Rikic92

[25]Mar 25, 2013
    • level: 1
    It's in the books and as I understand it will come up in the seasons episodes. Their dad had an affair with a maid and had a son, who had kids and so on , that's why Zach refers to them as Great uncles.

Rikic92

[26]Mar 25, 2013

What really gets to me is the season finale of Season 1 ! The device Johnathan Gilbert sets off does that weird pain thing to supernatural beings, so naturally the vampires fall down in pain ... and so does tyler and they mayor cause of them being werewolves .... but Elena as thedoppelganger is a supernatural being and isn't effected by the device?!

jstitely1

[27]Mar 25, 2013

Rikic92 wrote:

What really gets to me is the season finale of Season 1 ! The device Johnathan Gilbert sets off does that weird pain thing to supernatural beings, so naturally the vampires fall down in pain ... and so does tyler and they mayor cause of them being werewolves .... but Elena as thedoppelganger is a supernatural being and isn't effected by the device?!

I think it was supposed to be for supernaturals that actually transform or have qualities about them other than just a title. Because if you notice, nothing happened to Bonnie either, or Jeremy who would be one of the five. So I think the device was made solely for vampires and werewolves.

Goqklf56

[28]Mar 26, 2013

jstitely1 wrote:
    I think it was supposed to be for supernaturals that actually transform or have qualities about them other than just a title. Because if you notice, nothing happened to Bonnie either, or Jeremy who would be one of the five. So I think the device was made solely for vampires and werewolves.

Well technically Jeremy wasn't a hunter back then, he was only a potential. Besides, it's obvious that since the device was magically activated (not created, Emily was the one that made it work) she made sure it only worked against supernatural creatures that actually is a danger to common people and witches, ergo vampire, werewolves, possibly hybrids. It's possible it would have reacted to Bonnie in her brain-washed-Expression-form too.

While I haven't find too many plotholes, the ones mentioned here are more like msitakes or minor ones that doesn't really matter but what pisses me off is the overuse of boring plot devices to control the show. Like daggering the originals, that was stupid.

TiffanySill

[29]Apr 12, 2013

Smilie20 wrote:
    My Number 1 plothole is: How is Zach Damon and Stefan's NEPHEW???

Damon and Stefan had a half brother and Zach is a descendant of his. That is why he calls them his uncles and they called him their nephew.

courtneyhayden

[30]Apr 25, 2013

One of the biggest plot holes that angers me to no end is the fact that the writers allow new vampires to win fights with vampires that have been living for centuries. For example, Damon was able to beat up Kol who is anoriginal. How does that happen? This show constantly mentions that the older you are the stronger you are supposed to be but this has beencontradicted. Like I could name several examples of this but I'm not bothered, LOL.

jstitely1

[31]Apr 26, 2013

courtneyhayden wrote:

One of the biggest plot holes that angers me to no end is the fact that the writers allow new vampires to win fights with vampires that have been living for centuries. For example, Damon was able to beat up Kol who is anoriginal. How does that happen? This show constantly mentions that the older you are the stronger you are supposed to be but this has beencontradicted. Like I could name several examples of this but I'm not bothered, LOL.

I don't see this as a plot hole, Kol was daggered by his brotherso a about a hundred years of being older was wasted. plus being daggered forces you to readjust and he had been undaggered not even a year by the time he died, its entirely possible.

LegendKiller87

[32]Jun 29, 2013
    • level: 18

Klaus could still compel people even while in Alaric's body

7helenhelen

[33]Aug 19, 2013

This may be a dumb enquiry, but I was just re-watching the "Rose" episode in season 2 and noticed that when Bonnie, Stefan and Jeremy are trying to find Elena on the map, Bonnie attempts a spell by using Jeremy's blood which would "make the connection stronger" as they are " blood related". Correct me if I'm wrong ( and I'm sure I've missed something somewhere) but I thought Elena and Jeremy were not related at all as Elena was adopted?? Although as I said, I was just re-watching an episode and may have forgotten something.

Edited on 08/19/2013 11:10am

jstitely1

[34]Aug 19, 2013

7helenhelen wrote:

This may be a dumb enquiry, but I was just re-watching the "Rose" episode in season 2 and noticed that when Bonnie, Stefan and Jeremy are trying to find Elena on the map, Bonnie attempts a spell by using Jeremy's blood which would "make the connection stronger" as they are " blood related". Correct me if I'm wrong ( and I'm sure I've missed something somewhere) but I thought Elena and Jeremy were not related at all as Elena was adopted?? Although as I said, I was just re-watching an episode and may have forgotten something.

Elena was adopted, but it was specified late in season one, that her birth parents were Isabel and her "uncle" John. However, they couldn't take care of her, and the gilberts wanted a baby, so they adopted her. Her and Jeremy by blood are cousins.

7helenhelen

[35]Aug 19, 2013

Ohh thank you! It makes sense now, thanks for answering

jstitely1

[36]Aug 20, 2013

No problem It's nice when the board isn't completely dead over the summer break.

LegendKiller87

[37]Aug 21, 2013
    • level: 18
    Season 3:Spending most of it trying to find a way to kill Klaus only to find out if he dies,almost all of them will die too.
    Season 4:Finding the cure for Elena to become human again only for her to not be the one to take it.

jstitely1

[38]Aug 21, 2013

LegendKiller87 wrote:
    Season 3:Spending most of it trying to find a way to kill Klaus only to find out if he dies,almost all of them will die too. Season 4:Finding the cure for Elena to become human again only for her to not be the one to take it.

those aren't plot holes. Plot holes are something that contradict some sort of logic that was previously in use for the show. Your season 3 example might be deus ex machina because it was just thrown in, but it didn't contradict any previous mention of the originals. Your season 4 example might be something frustrating that they did, but it no way was it a plot hole. It is a plot hole if the cure was that only Elena could take it, which never was the case.