The Vampire Diaries Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

Why do some people hate Elena?

TheNotSoSC

[1]Feb 3, 2013
    • level: 2

I just need someone to clarify and explain this, backing their explanation up with some facts. It's certainly not the actor because everyone loves Katherine, so why Elena? I'm just curious, by the way, because every time I read a review or comments on an episode/show in general, their is always a problem with her.

Thanks

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jstitely1

[2]Feb 3, 2013
    • level: 12

TheNotSoSC wrote:

I just need someone to clarify and explain this, backing their explanation up with some facts. It's certainly not the actor because everyone loves Katherine, so why Elena? I'm just curious, by the way, because every time I read a review or comments on an episode/show in general, their is always a problem with her.

Thanks

Most of it stems from the love triangle. For obsessed fans they hate her whenever she is with the brother they don't like, which is a bit petty. For other fans, they don't like her plans or think they are stupid, and think she is a "mary sue vampire", thanks to Kol for that one. I personally like Elena a lot better this year , liking her the most in 4x04- 4x07 where she actually stood up for herself against being a broken toy. But everyone has their opinions.

Dec1964

[3]Feb 6, 2013
    • level: 34

Because her character is starting to becoming annoying, she's turning into a"G" Rated

version of Sookie Stackhouse from "True Blood".

Edited on 02/08/2013 7:01am

Slackerette

[4]Feb 7, 2013
    • level: 1
    Can she Be any more annoying? Every episode she's either angry/ flirting with either damon or Stefan, or she's about to be killed or she wants to kill herself. She cries every week. Basically she is weak, whiny and needs to be saved all the time. In the meantime, everyone else is being killed around her... sigh..they should kill her character off once and for all. On top of all that, the girl cant act, She has two expressions - pitiful and even more pitiful. so, why wouldnt anyone hate her?

Dec1964

[5]Feb 8, 2013

No she can act, but the whole Elena story has changed so much, even now that

she is a Vampire, Elena is even weaker. Caroline is much more tougher than Elena.

ionee24

[6]Feb 21, 2013
    • level: 32
    TheNotSoSC wrote:

Thanks

Honestly, I've got no idea. I stopped watching this show a loooooooong time ago.

Hairy106

[7]Feb 21, 2013
    • level: 33

Honestly, she is a flat, boring character who seems to care only for herself, yet can't understand why other people don't seem to feel the same way about her. She never listens to anyone and then wonders why she messes everything up. She also speaks much too slowly. I think the moment in the series which best represented her character was when they were lighting lamps for everyone who had died and (although everyone there had lost someone and there were other vampires present) she said that she was lighting the lamp, "for me, I guess".

Just to note, Tyler is also incredibly irritating for his I-know-best attitude as well as poor acting.

The Originals are the only truly interesting and entertaining characters in the show seeing as they actually have personalities.

Dec1964

[8]Feb 22, 2013

Tonights episode "Stand By Me" Elena picked up her game, my opinion.

LegendKiller87

[9]Jun 8, 2013
    • level: 18

the only reason I'd ever hate on her is if she killed Katherine

TheNotSoSC

[10]Sep 1, 2013

Never mind. I re watched the seasons... like actually watched them... ugh. There are so many things wrong with this show but since I started this post about Elena, I'll just talk about her. To sum her character up from S1-S3... she just became really... stupid. And naive. First of all, how in any way is it believable that she slowly falls in love with Damon other than the fact that she is stupid and... I really don't even know. Like, he snapped your brother's neck. He even admitted he didn't know he was wearing that ring. She also thinks she can control every situation and just throws herself on the tracks willing to die. She thinks she's being selfless but, not a hundred percent, no. Or when she asked Damon to compel Jeremy and send him to Denver... That wasn't her choice to make. So glad Bonnie called her out on that, by the way. And like you all said, she is annoying. It's like she let the Salvatore brothers turn her into a damsel in distress. I used to think she was strong and willing to fight for her life, but its not even surprising if she wants to kill herself.

I'm pretty sure there are more tangible reasons than the points I've made. I'm also sure some of you may disagree with me, but this is just some of what I noticed. Let's not even mention the abomination that is S4-Elena. Channeling her hate into Katherine was sort of stupid to me. Because her killing Jeremy has nothing to do with you turning off your humanity and being a murderous brat. I mean, she had a plethora of reasons to hate Katherine but blaming her for everything she did while her humanity was off was a weak and baseless move.

TheNotSoSC

[11]Sep 1, 2013
    Hairy106 wrote:

The Originals are the only truly interesting and entertaining characters in the show seeing as they actually have personalities.

And I think that is because the writers put more effort and time into these characters.

CKgirl

[12]Oct 8, 2013
    • level: 8

I think the shippers being alternately happy/angry with her is part of it, but for me it was always her relative weakness. I considered her unwavering loyalty to Ripper Stefan the serial killer to be incredibly stupid, like a battered wife incapable of leaving an abusive husband. I was SUPER excited when vampire Elena turned off her emotions, she was kick-ass. Also when she told Stefan he made her feel like a problem to be fixed, instead of a real person to love, that was great because she stood up for herself and her feelings/choices.

Wil1ow_5ays_W4t

[13]Oct 16, 2013
    • level: 3
    I completely agree. Klaus, Elijah and Rebekah are the best characters on the show.

Can't believe Bonnie is dead!!!! Also, the main reason we don't like Elaina is because she has swapped brothers.
    I think the writers and producers have done this because Damon and Elaina actually are together in real life and found that the chemistry in the love triangle has shifted.

Has anyone checked the books to see if the TV show has deviated from the original plot line? could be interesting to see.

Dec1964

[14]Oct 23, 2013

Well now that season - 5 has started, yeah Elena is just whining and acting like a 12 year old.

libertybaker5

[15]Oct 31, 2013
    • level: 1

Well, she is so fickle, it's mean leaving both of the Salvatore brothers sorta hanging, she needs to decide who she wants to be with, but mainly, this is why i don't like her:

She's so sweet, like a marshmallow. Light, fluffy, cute, innocent, delicious, sweet, but so sweet, like a sickly-sweet. As well as her head being about as light and empty as a marshmallow.

LONE LIVE ELENA GILBERT THE MARSHMALLOW!

dimakosrou

[16]Nov 6, 2013
    • level: 7

It's simple why some people hate Elena.

a) 3/4 of the cast died at least once to protect her like she is the anchor for the whole universe.

b) She wanted to have a vampire for her boyfriend but never become one.

c) She is constantly whining about smth.

d) She can't choose which Salvatore she wants making her love triangle irritating after 4 seasons in a row.