The Vampire Diaries

Ghost World

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Oct 27, 2011 on The CW

• Holy returning characters, Batman!

This episode was absolutely jammers. It had A-plots, B-plots, C, D and E plots. All relating to ghosts, sure, so thematically it stayed true to the episode title, but with Damon doing his best Lara Croft impression, Jeremy lipping locks with his all-too friendly ghost, Tomb Vamps, Lexi(!), Mason, Bonnie, Elena at her hypocritical best, Grams, a distinct lack of Katherine, and that kitchen sink we all love so much, I didn't know where to look.

It's a testament to the success of the show, and its writers, that they managed to bring back so many characters. I mean, I was absolutely over the moon to see Lexi again. I was even more chuffed when she smashed Stefan's head against a car window, classic Lexi. They even managed to bring back Pearl! And it felt so right that she only appear in the last scene, it was a very strong moment for Anna. I'll miss Anna loads. Just like back in season 1, she made Jeremy temporarily awesome again.

A major gripe I had with the first two seasons was that the writers didn't know a good thing when they had it: they killed off so many awesome characters for pure shock-value. It's always nice to have a bankable reoccurring character you can use to stir things up every now and then a few episodes a season. But not this show. Still, at the very least, they did manage to bring back some of the show's finest vampires here.

One thing that really pissed me off - and just shows how much Anna rounds out Jeremy - is how hypocritical Elena was when she started throwing a hissy fit over Jeremy making out with Anna. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! I wanted to throw something at the screen, her double-standards are ridiculous. Jeremy aint allowed to make out with a fairly harmless ghost, yet Elena continues to pine over her dead lover, hoping that he'll snap out of his mass-murdering phase any day now and all will be firgiven.

Outside off all of this ghost stuff, this episode contained a lot of awesome. We had Caroline doing what she does best: kicking major undead ass. (Spin-off, please?) We get a very cool, random scene involving Damon impaled by many wooden stakes, which visually, was hella cool. I also got a kick out of Mason casually smashing a shot glass into Damon's forehead and no one in the bar batting an eyelash.

But, because it was such an over-crowded episode, I felt that I didn't get enough time with Lexi (plots I wanted to watch) and didn't care for most of the scenes involving Bonnie/Caroline. There was literally too much happening here.

And, as cliff-hangers go, it was pretty weak. Alaric stumbles upon some cavemen drawings, has no idea what they are, and we're left none the wiser. That's just great.