The Vampire Diaries

Growing Pains

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Oct 11, 2012 on The CW

• It's Getting There

I'm honestly not too sure what to think at this point. There were things I liked, and things I didn't. This episode had a lot going on, but I think it was mainly to set the stage for what is to come.

Elena is finally a vampire! I went into this episode thinking that if they found a way to prevent this from happening, I would never watch it again. I'm glad the show finally went there, and didn't find a way to back out of it.

Elena's Choice Well, we all saw that coming. Even the memories of things Damon compelled her to forget weren't enough to sway her for now. I'm glad she didn't just get all confused again, because I've had enough of confused Elena for now. Maybe once she gets accustomed to her new life, we can see her revisit this choice. For now, Stefan may be the right choice, just because he respects her decisions, unlike Damon. I think that if Damon wants a real chance, he needs to take that particular page from his brother's book. Elena wants to be independent, not have a man who just 'fixes' everything for her (even though that's exactly what they do anyways). I love what Damon said to her outside of the ranch, I only wish it made her love him as much as I do. But, like Damon said, he's selfish, and that isn't something I see changing anytime soon. It's what makes him distinct from his brother. Stefan sees Elena as more his equal, and Damon needs to do that before they could actually work. I'm willing to wait!

Tyler/Klaus this was one of the best storylines of the night for me. Michael Trevino as Klaus was awesome. I love how they were able to write lines for Klaus, and having them come out of Tyler so you could still tell it was Klaus. I especially loved Tyler's mom calling, and the pure Klaus response of "that incessant woman" and then "hi mom!" I enjoyed Klaus threatening to kill Tyler if Bonnie didn't put him back, too. I would say Tyler/Klaus probably stole the show for me last night.

Klaus as himself The fact that he can so easily abandon Rebekah doesn't entirely surprise me, but he just spent how long wanting his siblings together, and now he wants to strike off on his own?

Rebekah There is just something about her that I love, especially when she's on the war path. I can't wait to see what they'll have for her next.

Bonnie really didn't do a whole lot for me. It was completely anti-climactic. Sure, her Grandma no longer gets to live in peace on the other side, and that knowledge will torture her, but what did that really accomplish? I was hoping we'd get to see something like her powers being taken away, or the character stuck on the other side, trying to get back. That would put the whole 'other side' plotline to good use, in my opinion.

Caroline not a whole lot going on for her tonight. I hope there's more later!

Pastor Young I have no idea what's going on there, but it intrigues me. I wonder if they're supposed to come back or something with the help of the witch spirits? This will be one of the things which keeps me tuning in for now.

All in all, an episode that hopefully sets up for a good season!