The Vampire Diaries

Heart of Darkness

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Apr 19, 2012 on The CW

• Well, I don't know about you guys, but I, for one, thought this episode was perfect.

Well, I don't know about you guys, but I, for one, thought this episode was perfect. It's a sign that the remaining three episodes of season three of TVD are going to be incredible and go out with the bang we've been promised over and over again by the writers and the cast. "Heart of Darkness" had it all: great returns (Hey Tyler/Jer/Rose/Kol!), great romance (I think Elena needs a cold shower), and great shocks (Esther, 'ya fooled me). So, let's dive in, shall we?

***SPOILERS AHEAD***

What I Loved:

1. The Damon/Elena scenes. Now, until this moment, I hadn't really cared who Elena got with. I wasn't really Team Stelena or Team Delena, I was Team Vampire Diaries. Whatever was thrown my way, I trusted it fully. And, don't get me wrong, I still am... All of my TVD trust is in JP and KW and CD and I trust them entirely. However, now, after this episode, I realize what the Delena shippers have seen all along because their scenes were AMAZING. These two have so much chemistry, it's kind of remarkable. And, when you add a Florence + the Machine song to that Delena kiss, you just kind of get a perfect moment of television, no? That said, I'm glad Elena didn't just jump the 'Delena' ship. The triangle is a journey and she still has feelings for both brothers. It wouldn't have made any sense if she had just quickly made up her mind over the course of one episode. She needed to test the waters. Can't wait to see who she chooses in the finale!

2. Every scene Rebekah was in. I try not to play favorites, but Rebekah is my favorite Original. It closes Rebekah, Klaus, Elijah, Kol, and Finn for me. I don't know why, but Rebekah is just a perfect character, in my opinion. Well, no, I guess I do know why. She's a vulnerable badass vampire who wants nothing more to be a normal, human girl, and I just find that beautiful. And tragic. I hope they don't kill her off this season because I'd love to see her in season four (with Matt). But anyway... I was shocked by the ending. Totally shocked. I figured Esther had done something when she "died" because, if she hadn't, her appearance would have been random and, basically, pointless. But, no. She possessed her daughter, who is now teaming up with AlarHyde to, essentially, wipe out all vampires. Can't wait to see where this story goes as we reach the end of the season!

3. Alaric and Stefan. There was some really great stuff here. I love how they are metaphorically going through the same journey, as shown through their conversations in the Salvatore cellar. I also loved seeing Stefan fighting the evil inside of him, but eventually realizing he needed to release it to help the MFG reach their goal. BTW, how great was Stefan's "FU" speech to Klaus at the end? Pretty great, that's how great it was.

4. Rose! I loved her speech to Jeremy in the car. It moved me, I'm not gonna lie. I was glad to see her back. While she was never, necessarily, my favorite character, I always enjoyed her while she was on in season two and it was nice to see her face again. Can't wait to see Jenna again in the finale, that's for sure.

5. Forwood. Yeah, they're pretty much perfect... even though, I admit, I do like the idea of Klaroline, though I realize (and think) it should never happen for the sake of keeping Caroline true to character. Sad ending though. They can't catch a break, can they?

6. Seeing Jeremy and Kol. While Kol remains basically unexplored in terms of characterization, he still brings fun to every scene he's in, which I'm not complaining about. Plus, we learned he knows how to wield a baseball bat. Yikes.

What I Didn't Like:

I actually don't have anything to complain about this episode. It was perfect. A 10.