The Vampire Diaries

History Repeating

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Nov 12, 2009 on The CW

7.7
  • We learn the real reason Damon refuses to leave Mystic Falls. Bonnie's ancestor Emily is haunting her. The new history teacher Alaric Saltzman comes to town and seems interested in Jenna. Matt and Caroline seem to bond.

All around a great episode. A number of excellent storylines are played out and we learn the truth about why Damon has refused to leave Mystic Falls.

The Emily haunting was interesting. Of course the summoning was a crazy idea, but people who play with fire... literally.

The Damon/Stefan dynamics seem to have changed a little. Not that one would expect Damon to really rehabilitate after one hundred plus years. He does seem to realize he has wronged his brother in a significant way so he is trying not to be such a problem. The story as it plays out about Emily, Katherine, and the historical nature of the episode was very well done.

We are introduced to the new history professor who immediately takes an interest in Jeremy and then in Jenna his Aunt. He has a weird family ring similar to Damon and Stefan's and when he wouldn't enter Jenna's house without being invited we are being drawn in to believe that he might be a vampire.

We also have the little surprise at the end with Jenna as well.

The Matt and Caroline story was a sub-plot and we'll have to see where we are taken with that.

Finally the Bonnie, Caroline, and Elena story was front and center. With their actions and the results in the end we learn that Bonnie will be aware of what is going on now and Elena has realized she can deal with Stefan, but Stefan has promised to leave as he doesn't feel Elena will be safe.

Man this little town seems to have a lot going on for such a small population!

A very entertaining and informative episode and maybe the best overall of the season. It will be interesting to see how these new stories and situations play themselves out over the second part of this first season. Thanks for reading...