The Vampire Diaries

Homecoming

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Nov 10, 2011 on The CW

• Seriously... TVD is life.

Seriously... The Vampire Diaries is life.

Okay, maybe not. That'd be incredibly sad. Like, sitting in a corner, in the fetal position, rocking back and forth sad. But, nevertheless, "Homecoming" was pretty much the episode of the series. Topping in shock-value and storytelling all others, even "Founder's Day," "Masquerade," "The End of the Affair," and "The Reckoning." I consider myself to be a hardcore TVD fan so I knew that, if this was going to be the midseason finale (January 5th cannot get here fast enough...), KW and JP were going to make sure it went out with a bang. And bang it went.

***Spoilers beyond this point. And by spoilers, I mean spoiler-heavy.***

What I Loved:

1. The Kat is back! Oh, my gosh... I have been in some serious Katherine Pierce/Katerina Petrova withdrawal. I've been waiting patiently (actually, that's a lie... not patiently at all) to find out what became of my favorite character, Miss Pierce, ever since Mikael (R.I.P.) mauled her at the end of "Smells Like Teen Spirit." Before this episode, I read an interview with JP, who confirmed she wasn't dead, and then Damon said she wasn't dead early in the episode, so I knew she was all right. HOWEVER, I was totally not expecting to see her. And I'm so glad we did! And in that way... I legitimately did not think that was Katherine at all. I was sure it was Elena. And then she just popped up with the wolfsbane grenade, set "Kaboom" (which was hilarious) and tossed 'em at Klaus's hybrid loveslaves. It was glorious.

I also loved Katherine's scene at the end with Stefan. This was just great, guys. She's continuing to admit that she did, in fact, love Stefan and Damon (after she said this to Elena in "As I Lay Dying") and turns her humanity on sometimes. Which was really, really touching! This is why I love Katherine. Even though she's the ornery, naughty, little vixen that we love, she's also one of the characters that's most in-tune with their emotions. Even though she hides it. And when it was revealed that she and Stefan let Klaus live and kill Mikael to save Damon's life... this was just another great little twist.

Long live Katherine Pierce. Moving on...

2. Stefan's free of Klaus's compulsion. Even though I liked this story, I was ready for Stefan to break free and be his own man again. And now it's going to be really, really interesting to see where he goes from here... Where will he be? How will he act? Can he ever go back to being the old, brooding, martyr Stefan we knew for the first two seasons? Probably not. Which I'm totally cool with. I'm all for character development.

Another thing I like about this story is that Stefan has finally figured out who he is. This whole thing with Klaus kind of acted as Stef figuring out his identity... if who he is differs from who Elena and Co., expect him to be. And it does. I think he's okay with that now and is going to be done struggling with it (like he did toward the end of the first season). Can't wait to see this storyline progress.

3. Klaus and Mikael's showdown. This was for sure nifty. I loved the dynamic between these two at the doorway to the Lockwood manor. It was kind of crazy... I can't even really describe it, it was just tense. And awesome. I had a feeling Mikael would end up dying because Klaus is a series regular for at least 17 episodes this season, so there's no way Nik was gonna get staked, but still... Good scene. And I also liked that, when Mikael got staked, we saw that the stake catches on fire. That was cool, separating a white oak stake from the normal wooden stakes.

4. The Tyler siring story. Now, I'll admit... When "Smells Like Teen Spirit" ended, I kind of hated this story. I was really, really bummed about it you guys. I thought it was gonna suck. But I really liked it in this episode! I kind of like how you can tell Tyler doesn't want to be Klaus' little slave boy, but he can't help it. And how heartbreaking was it when, before Caroline broke up with him (ugh... I miss Forwood already), he basically said that he was cool with Klaus controlling him because he was used to being controlled by something. So sad! Aw, Tyler... You'll get out of this mess. Or die. It's one of the two. This is TVD, after all. I mean, c'mon.

5. The opening scene. That was really cool... and funny. I've always liked it when the TVD peeps make the first scene different than all the others (like in "Masquerade" and "Memory Lane." This definitely worked.

6. The ending. I loved the phone call between Stefan and Klaus and Klaus's realization that Stefan stole all of the caskets. This was great. Didn't see it coming. Go Stef.

Well, I think I've covered pretty much everything... Now, let's move on to the two things I don't like (even though realize that they were completely necessary)...

1. Elena daggering Rebekah! Oh, my gosh... That scene where Rebekah was talking about homecoming to Elena in front of the mirror was so heartbreaking. It was kind of beautiful. And then when Elena gave her the necklace... I got a little emotional, you guys. Not too much. But enough. lol. I was really loving the scene and couldn't wait to see Rebekah and Matt (I'd ship that couple any day) go to homecoming together... and then, just kidding, Elena daggered her. The look on Rebekah's face was just gut-wrenching. I can't be the only one who feels this way. However, like I said, it was totally necessary. They didn't really have time in the episode to show Rebekah enjoying homecoming and it would have just made the night more complicated than it already was. And was it ever!

2. Forwood breaking up. We knew this was gonna happen sooner or later. All good TV couples break up every now and then... So I guess I wasn't really surprised. At all. Oh, well. They'll get back together sooner or later. Hopefully.

Well, you guys, that's it! TTY in January!

• Homecoming

Homecoming was a perfect episode of The Vampire Diaries and I really enjoyed watching this episode because there were so many unforeseen surprises and it was great how all the characters were playing a huge game, but it wasn't quite clear how things would turn out. There was a lot of character and plot development for the characters and a beloved evil character is still alive! This was just an awesome episode full of every thing that makes the show fun and I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!

• Previously on the Vampire Dia--stabstabSTABstabstab and stab.

A character couldn't bat an eyelid, put on an ancient necklace or argue with her boyfriend without being gutted. What has to be my my personal favourite: bursting into flames upon being stabbed by the very son you watched take a stake to the gut merely seconds after stabbing not-really-Elena.

There was no real plot here. Not really. It was all reliant on the writers withholding crucial information from the viewers, like Damon's plan. But who cares when things are this awesome? Have I mentioned the stabathon? And to think it all started with Elena getting one up on a Rebekkah. I had a feeling the hour would turn for the awesome, because Elena rocked in this episode. I also sort of twigged onto the Katherine double-bluff but it was still a cracking reveal (''Boom!''). Katherine for president!

I really did want Klaus to die, though. I'm kind of sick of his terminator-esq resilience at this stage. Plus he has gotten significantly more emo these days, and there are only so many brooding vampires I can take. But why didn't Damon get the heart the first time around?! Didn't he show Elena a few episodes back where exactly to strike? I guess he's not that great at working under pressure. Also, Katherine's plan made no sense. If they let Damon kill Klaus, the hybrids would have killed Damon instead (look how easy it was for Damon to kill that one hybrid extra! Big deal). But if they allow Klaus to live, he won't want to kill the guy that was probably the closest anyone has been to killing him - ever! - other than Elijah? It make-a no sense-a. Klaus is stronger than all of his hybrids and could kill the entire cast, for frick sake. So keeping him around felt very contrived.

But, again, I ask: who cares when things are this awesome?

It's fun, fast-paced and packed with twist after twist. The ending was kinda lame, but Delana shippers get yet another ''almost'', we hardly get any of the slacking characters onscreen, and Caroline dumped Tyler. And I'm thrilled that Stefan is still a badass!

Now we just have to wait until January...I hear The Secret Circle aint bad.

• Just wow.

What is it with Vampire Diaries that every episode could legitimately pass for a season finale, and yet with other shows even their finales don't hold a candle to episodes like this? Seriously, I'm running out of synonyms and adjectives to describe the awesomeness of this show.

And this episode was no exception, to say the least. I was a bit concerned that we might be giving our farewells to Klaus during the first half but was pleasantly surprised by [spoiler alert!] Stefan's resurgence (you'll see what I mean)! While I agree with the previous commenter that Mikael was a nice addition to the show, I, on the other hand, was quite relieved to see him go.

What I absolutely didn't see coming was Stefan's bold move at the end. Whoa. Oh, and I was glad to see Katherine was alive, albeit a little mangy with her sudden concern for Stefan's so-called "humanity." So uncanny of her. But then again, I couldn't stand Stefan before and now he's much more tolerable, enjoyable even in a way!

Now, on to the bad news. How am I supposed to survive the next two months until the break is over!?

• What an episode!!!!

That was such a great episode, and a great episode to end with for midseason hiatus! There was sooo much suspense and so much going on in the episode that it actually made my eyes almost glued to the tv for the whole hour.

I loved the whole plan to kill klaus. When mikael turned up towards the end, we sure found out Klaus' weakness in his vampire life. We actually saw him cry. That is so crazy! Even though that Mikael was supoosedly killed, i really hope he is not gone. He was a good addition to the show.

NOW, Stefan. He is now freed doing what Klaus wants him to, but i am still confused whether or not his humanity is back. Because klaus only said that he doesn't have to do what klaus tells him, not to turn his humanity back on. I guess that is one thing that i will have to wait for until it comes back in January. I really want to know if Stefan just disappears or comes back home to Elena. hmm....hmmm....

January is just sooooo far away. I want it to go fast so we can see what happens :)

• The part when Klaus was talking to his father it absolutely amazes me, I love every expression they make, it's kinda weird watching Klaus crying, because we know him for beeing the "biggest baddest vampire around" Also liked when Katherine helped Stefan..

The part when Klaus was talking to his father it absolutely amazes me, I love every expression they make, it's kinda weird watching Klaus crying, because we know him for beeing the "biggest baddest vampire around" and when Stefan stops Damon from killing Klaus I yelled so hard because it was such a suspense scene, and when Klaus killed his father it was shocking! :0Also liked when Katherine helped Stefan... And when they were talking on the car and Katherine tells him to get mad, and Stefan hidded the coffins for Klaus!

The Vampire Diaries is my favorite series of all my life.

• Twists, Turns, and Favorite Moments.

I did not expect that to be Katherine, I thought that was really Elena. Stefan stopping Damon from killing Klaus. Plus Stefan stealing Klaus's family. And Elena stabbing Rebekah. I love the part where Elena finally told Damon she trusted him and where she grabbed his face and told him that they will let Stefan go.
  • Best episode of season 3!

Honestly loved this episode.

The storyline was brilliant. The scheme was genius. It was shocking. It was suspenseful. It was entertaining and it was emotional. Vampire Diarie's ability to mix human relationships in with crazy supernatural battles amazes me.

Basically the storyline is; Damon, Elena, and Stefan try luring Klaus back to town by telling him they've killed Micheal, with the help of Rebecka who later gets daggered by Elena right before homecoming which got cancelled and was held at Tyler's house who knocks out Caroline trying to save her from the wake where Klaus will confront Michael who has Katherine on his side.

I was excited the whole way through. They deffinately used the element of surprise and it was emotional.

The ending left me wanting more.