The Vampire Diaries

The End of the Affair

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Sep 29, 2011 on The CW

7.9
  • The best episode of the series. Hands down.

I know I say this every week, but I just can't help it! This show is so good... Like, it's kind of impossibly crazy how wickedly addictive The Vampire Diaries is. From the getgo, I knew I was going to love "The End of the Affair." Why? Because, one, I love The Vampire Diaries and have since the pilot. Two, because Chicago is my favorite place in the world. And, three, because the 1920s = my favorite era. Therefore, I knew that this episode couldn't possibly go wrong in my book. But, WOW. I never could have imagined how much 3x03 would blow my mind. The writers threw at us some of the biggest surprises of the series, and I loved each one of them.

So, let's dive in, shall we?

***Spoiler-Heavy From This Point Forward***

What I Loved

1. Rebekah! Now, I'll admit that when I first heard a overview of Rebekah's character a few months ago, I thought: Wow. Great. That sounds like a rip-off of Katherine... a vampire ex of Stefan's still not over him. Ugh. HOWEVER, I soon ate my words, because Rebekah was totally awesome! Now, I'll admit, a major part of her awesomeness has to do with the fact that she's an Original (I did NOT see that coming). I am so feeling this storyline. I love the chemistry that she has with Stefan in a romantic way and the chemistry she has with Klaus (or "Nick") in a brother-sister kind of way. Now, even though I've been Team Stelena up until this point, I feel myself throwing aside that title and becoming Team Rebefan. Another thing I loved about Rebekah is that, by meeting her, we learned so many secrets about Stefan and Klaus... They knew each other! Stefan was Klaus's inspiration! They were BFFLs! Didn't see any of that coming.

2. Gloria. I'm liking her character so far... especially that she can put Klaus in his place. I loved what she said when she broke up the fight between Klaus and Damon.

3. All of the 20s scenes. BEAUTIFULLY filmed. Just really spectacular work. The crew deserves some serious high-fives for this episode.

4. That Caroline lived. Now, the Caroline scenes were very difficult for me to watch. That doesn't mean I don't think that they were brilliant. They definitely were. But, wow... They were tough. What I'm really loving about this story is that it's basically a big analogy for gay teenagers and how society tends to look at them. But, the one thing I don't really get is that, seeing as Bill Forbes is gay (as was established in, I believe, 1x04, wouldn't that maybe make him a little more understanding of his daughter's situation? The situation she has no say in? I would think so, but whatever. Speaking of Caroline, I am loving her and Tyler together. Sorry, Matt. You have no chance in getting between them. They are perfect. Can't wait to see their relationship grow and the "Romeo & Juliet" (like Julie Plec said) drama that comes because of it... although, hopefully, it won't go totally R&J, leaving both Caroline and Tyler dead. That'd be gravely unfortunate.

5. Katherine! I was hoping she would come back for this ep and, even though she was only in, like, 3 scenes, all 3 of them were totally awesome. Katherine just brings fun with her whenever she comes on The Vampire Diaries, and I'm glad that she's going to be in the next episode, too. Hopefully many, many more. Long live Katherine Pierce.

6. Stefan and Elena broke-up. Now, as I said earlier, I was (until this episode) hardcore Team Stelena. But, idk you guys... I'm really like Stefan being away as a Ripper and the potential he has with Rebekah. Elena, on the other hand, needs to move on and realize that the man she's in love with is a crazy serial killer who is off the rails. I've always defended Elena. I've never thought that she was stupid, like so many people think she is, but damn. Elena, I realize you're in some serious denial (which makes total sense), but you need to realize that what Stefan's doing is bad. Really bad. Do I want them to get together later? Yes (though, hopefully, not this season). For the rest of this season, I want Elena to come into her own, have a life without Stefan, and become stronger. Still love her, though.

7. The necklace storyline. I love it when writers make an object more important than we think it is a couple seasons after it's introduced (i.e. the Samulet in Supernatural). But, the only thing is... In "Rose," Elijah ripped the necklace off Elena's neck. Wouldn't he have recognized it as Rebekah's? Oh, well... Details. lol

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:

1. When it ended. :P

Can't wait for next week! TTYL.