The Vampire Diaries

The Five

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Nov 01, 2012 on The CW

• A Vampire's Cure

When they told the story of the weapon being a "cure", I had to pause the show and think of things. I enjoy seeing the other side of Elena and the possibility that because her feeling are heightened, that she'd be honest and admit to herself that she actually does love Damon. If Elena goes back to being human, the story would go on a loop when they had to protect her from Klaus making her into a blood bank.

What I really enjoyed about this episode is that it was about Rebekah, that she was indeed capable of love and that she is lonely because she has no one. This is one of their best episode. Kudos.
  • The Five gets a High Five!

The Five was a perfect episode of The Vampire Diaries because it had just about every thing I as a viewer wanted to see. The story was thoughtfully crafted and balanced with character enrichment, action, drama and of course intrigue. Klaus, Stephan and Rebekah maneuvered around each other while Damon taught Elena how to feed on a trip with Bonnie. Jeremy helps decipher part of the Vampire Hunters tattoo and a new villain is revealed. There were some inconsistencies in the writing as others have mentioned the most obvious being the originals having day-walking rings in the past. Though it was Halloween I would have thought Elena would clean up after herself and heal the bite wounds and shouldn't that be part of the course Damon was teaching her? In any case the Halloween party was awesome and I really liked how every thing played out. I love the format of the show, the characters and plot lines. It is definitely a different type of Vampire based series. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!
  • The Five things I liked the most about this episode.

PS.: Read other reviews and, umm, the Originals always needed daylight rings, didn't they? On episode 8 from season 3, Rebekah clearly states that the witch solved the problem by giving them a daylight rings. SHE EVEN WALKS STARING AT THE RING, FOR LIKE 10 WHOLE SECONDS, YOU GUYS. I think you are confusing some stuff here, NO, the sun can't kill originals, but they would still burn and stuff... But the rings, yeah, they always needed them.

So, I'm going to review this episode a little bit differently. In order to joke about tonight's episode title, I'm going to list the five things I liked the most in this episode, and the facts connected to these happenings. Okay, here we go:

5. Elena and Damon go on a frat party to kill people.

So, Bonnie was attending this Occult Studies class at a local college? Is this for real? Mystic Falls has a college? Anyway, did you guys remember her grandma used to teach these classes? Yeah, aww, me neither, so, forgetting this part, let's talk about what truly matters: Damon and Elena decided to go with her, so Damon could teach Elena how to eat and not to kill. The girl's first attempt failed big time, she approached her victim, and she even compelled her not to scream and stuff, but all it took was a fast glimpse at a picture at the victim's cellphone to left our favorite new Vampire feeling guilty. But hey, it wasn't over yet, because they also found out about "Murder House", yeah, a custom party filled with douche frat guys. And, of course, they've attended. Damon went as Jack the Ripper and Elena and Bonnie were his victims, so funny. Elena saw a frat guy spiking a girl's drink and decided she would go for him. And she did. She nailed it! Compelled him, bit his neck and sucked his blood real hard! And guess what, she knew when and how to stop it. She told him to go, forget everything, and there it was. And then... she went crazy. She and Damon went off the wagon, enjoying their vampire life. And then, covered up in blood (which didn't actually matter, since they were at... hmm... a Murder House party?), they started dancing all sexy together... Yeah, and Bonnie appear to bring Elena down to earth. The girl confessed she wanted Stefan to be there with her, not to experience those things with Damon. He overheard, and of course, got upset. Poor Damon. But that's ok, Delena is a work in progress. And since I don't really bother with this whole "Who's Elena's Love?" thing, I'm glad the show gets to explore all sides of this story. Also, Delena sex didn't happen, which was great, since it would make no sense at all if it did.

4. Bonnie founds a love interest that is interesting.

So, her grandma died, someone had to take over Occult Studies classes since that class is like, best class ever! And then we met professor Shane. Can I say I really like that guy? He knew Sheila, and he knew about her as well, since he's a truly believer (condition number 1 in order to became that class teacher) His scenes with Bonnie had that touch... I don't know. It felt nice seeing them together, and I really hope that they get to know each other on future episodes. He looks like he could help her with her magic, and Bonnie needs someone to rely on. Really, writers, keep this guy on, I REALLY LIKED HIM.

3. Connor rips out an earring with his teeth and reveals us something nasty!

You know what, in order for this to make sense, I have to recap a few stuff. Remember Klaus said he was one of the five after saving him from the explosion at the hospital? So, after saving him, Klaus binded him to what it looked like a torture table. During the episode, we got to know a little bit more about his true story. Yes, the five! He didn't cooperate in saying anything, because of course he didn't, and, at a very moment, when Klaus leaves him under protection of one of his Hybrids, he provokes him until the hybrid gets closer, and then: HE BITES THE GUYS EAR! Yeah, after the hybrid stormed out of the room to wash the blood, Connor showed he fished for a little earring, and with it, he was able to set himself free of the handcuffs. So, now free, he ran to Mystic Falls college, because this place is just a hit, and who did he meet? Professor Shane. Looks like Professor Shane was the one sending him to Mystic Falls in the first place. I TOLD YOU THIS GUY IS AWESOME.

2. Rebekah dated one of the five.

So, back in the 12th century, these vampire hunters, binded by a witch, knew the spot where a weapon was hidden. Not any weapon, but a really powerful one. Alexander, one of the five, seduced and promised Rebekah something... unusual, let's say. So, Rebekah fell in love with him. But Alexander betrayed her, and dagger-ed her the first chance he got! But he didn't know he had to keep the dagger in there, so, hey, Rebekah didn't die for real... Later, when she woke up, Klaus had killed him, and he asked Rebekah what did he promised her. Oh, you know... The Weapon.

1. THE WEAPON. (Or should I say, the most brilliant thing TVD has ever came up with after the Sun and the Moon/Klaus' curse?)

So, the five's weapon was hidden. The map that led to the weapon was actually the ghost tattoo no one but Jeremy could see. So, Jeremy draw Connor's tattoo, but it was incomplete. Alexander told Rebekah, back in the 12th century, that the tattoo grew after the hunter kills a hybrid, which is proven true, because after escaping, Connor killed Klaus' hybrid (in a really bad ass scene) and his tattoo grew. Oh, okay, so, The Weapon (I feel the need to uppercase it), is actually a cure. Exactly. A cure to vampirism. That's why Klaus wanted to save Elena! God, doesn't it all make sense? Isn't this show fantastic? Well, Rebekah was the one holding another big information: they also needed Alexander's sword to complete the map, and they didn't know where it was, but Rebekah did. During the episode, Klaus and Stefan teamed up to get Rebekah cooperating. So, Stefan played with her feelings after Klaus humiliated her. Vulnerable, she said she wouldn't help, since she didn't want Elena to go back to being human and Klaus getting his wish granted. But she let it slide, and ended up spilling that Alexander's sword was buried with him. So, Klaus dagger-ed her, and it was a very painful scene, that almost made me cry. So there you have it: vampires can go back to being human. This show never fails to amaze me.

OKAY, SO, BEST EPISODE IN THE SEASON SO FAR. Praising: Professor Shane, is he evil? I don't care, I just really liked him, he needs to end up with Bonnie. Rebekah died, but I hope she returns to life, and... Flashbacks! This show knows how to handle 'em. Really satisfied after that hour. Really satisfied.
  • T.V.D.

Yes it was a good episode, but i did find flaws in this episode as well, season 3

showed us that the Originals never needed a ring to wear around during the daylight.

Because the witch in their village had cast that spell with the help of their mother (I think).

I would also say Conner is a descendant from "The Five" why the Professor would want Conner to kill Vampire's that makes no sense & if Klaus does find the so called cure &

Elena is no longer a vampire wouldn't that defeat the purpose of Elena turning into a Higher

Being just like in the books. I thought if you killed an Original then all Vampire's who were sired by them would also die, isn't that why Rebekah in season 3 watched over Elena in the

underground tunnels because at one stage Caroline was also dying because Esther wanted to kill

her own children. So she cast that spell with the help of the Bennett Witches.

Yes i know i'm nit picking.

Professor Shane is up to no good taking Bonnie along with him, not such a good idea, the Halloween Party with Damon as Jack The Ripper & his 2 Hookers very good look. Elena going on a Blood Drive not so good, she needs Stefan to help her. Just one last thing

to think about if Klaus' finds the Sword & destroys the cure it could backfire & change Elena

into the higher being & at some point very soon Katherine has to make an appearance.

CW Please dont ruin the storyline, its been good so far.
  • OMG...

My actual rating is 11. This episode was all but shallow. Emotions ran high and feelings revealed. Sibling fights and Elena pulling a Stefan in trying to fight the dark side, breaking Damon's heart yet again. (Only downer of the whole episode) And a mastermind potential villain was revealed and no it wasn't a more sinister side of Klaus. ~ I want more...
  • The Deadly FIVE

I loved this episode.

It was great seeing more of Klaus and Rebekah's history the flashbacks to the 12th century was really cool as always were done impeccably well.

Damon Elena and Bonnie's College road trip was really amazing to watch, it was great to see Elena revel in her Vamp status if only for a short while, it was sad to see her still conflicted.

Klaus interrogating Connor with Stefan and soon Jeremy's help was also a highlight for me, the subtle reference to 50 Shades Of Grey was hilarious.

The weapon we learned about and what it can do in this episode really floored me I thought it was a very smart and intriguing twist, a lot like how the Sun And Moon Curse was fake at the end of Season 2.

My only complaint is that we still haven't seen this great Vampire Sex scene with Elena yet, I wanna see that soon!

All in all I thought that this episode was another major hit and I am SUPER psyched about next week!
  • Enjoyable

I've not watched previous seasons completed,, but I've watched enough to say that human Elena sucks and vampire Elena rocks. At least what we got to see a glimpse in this episode. I really hope that writes take advantage of that, and not use the possible "cure" for her.

It would be nice to see the cure take effect in other character, but Elena is just too obvious "victim" for that to make any difference. So any other and I would die to see Elena discovering more to her new vampire world.

I'm really not a shipper either but episode give me a pretty good idea what ship to sail on,if I want to. Definitely Damon and Elena are made for each other if you ask me. I mean, judging by this episode.

And I really liked the part where Elena was really having fun (and feeding at same time). That's what I want to see in future episodes, not beating herself up about what happened.
  • Am I the only person who noticed???

It seems that none of the other reviewers have noticed the glaring inconsistency in the writing of this episode

During the "historical" parts with Klaus he mentions that they could talk to the hunters during daylight because of their daylight rings... yes, the Originals (who don't need rings to walk in the sunlight), magically in this episode suddenly DO need rings!

While I enjoyed this episode overall, it seems to be that the writers just don't bother watching/reading the show's history, but only know that Elena, Stefan, Damon & Caroline have rings, so the Originals MUST need rings too, right? WRONG!

I have to say that Halloween was the perfect time to let Elena learn about the vampire part, with the "costumes" being vampires with the blood on the face being perfect

I have to say that I expected something different from the Hunter biting the hybrid's ear, expecting him to break his wrists/hands to get out of the cuffs, knowing that the blood would cure him, but would he actually want hybrid/vampire blood in his system? No, so using it to get the ear bar was interesting, but a pity that a straight bar is USELESS as a lock pick, unless he could mold it in his teeth or fingers, but he'd have to be INCREDIBLY skilled to do that...

Let's hope that this season grows the way previous seasons have, because it's been fairly "average" up to now, with this one actually getting several story arc wheels fully in motion, so let's hope the writers stop making annoying mistakes like the rings, and continue to actually develop things like they normally do on this show!!!
  • I have some concerns.

Professor Hipster's level of professionalism leaves much to be desired. Button your shirt. Stop drinking with your students at a frat party. Don't casually refer to yourself as Indiana Jones. So far, I am only impressed by his scene at the end of the episode.

What's with the suddenly indiscrete blood consumption? First, Elena's sucking on a blood bag in front of a church in Memorial. Now she's about to bite a college kid in the middle of the quad during the day. And speaking of the quad, I'm pretty sure Damon parked his car on the sidewalk.

Elena is moralistic enough to punish "roofie guy" by feeding on him. However, no one prevents the girl from drinking the roofied cup. Oh man. Be safe, party extra!
  • Boring

Well, if it wasn't for the last few minutes, the episode was very weak and boring. Basically it hasn't developed anything new. Ok, it has but it could be present in ten minutes not in forty.
CW