The Venture Brothers Forums

Sunday 11:30 PM on Cartoon NetworkIn Season

Official Discussion Thread: Orb (possible spoilers)

hodgie64

[21]Aug 12, 2008
    • level: 9
    But if Kano killed Ventur snr, how did he arrange for the Orb to be hidden and leave clues at the Venture compound?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

S-Shield

[22]Aug 12, 2008
    • level: 21

hodgie64 wrote:
    But if Kano killed Ventur snr, how did he arrange for the Orb to be hidden and leave clues at the Venture compound?

That's just what I was wondering.

RaizenYusuke

[23]Aug 12, 2008
    • level: 28
    Jonas could have set this all up before his death, a lot of people do that in these shows. He did it with that device from the future in season 2.

S-Shield

[24]Aug 12, 2008

RaizenYusuke wrote:
    Jonas could have set this all up before his death, a lot of people do that in these shows. He did it with that device from the future in season 2.

True. But, according to what we know, the only reason Kano would have killed Jonas is because he intended to actually use the power of ORB. It seems odd that he would have time to hide it if the whole reason he was killed was because he was about to crack it open and use it.

RaizenYusuke

[25]Aug 12, 2008
    Maybe he never had time to pick it up from it's hiding place. Jonas may have told his team about the orb and that he was going to open it. OSI told Kano to kill him before he opened it.

Or maybe he had someone else hide it in case of his death. Kano may have even done it, he never tells Brock he doesn't know where Orb is.

tubalcane420

[26]Aug 12, 2008
    • level: 18

Kano was silent before Jonas died (right?), so the great man he went silent for was not Jonas. Although that doesn't mean he DIDN'T kill Jonas.

The "Jonas" we saw in season two was not Jonas but was an alien who was pulling a "Contact" by making himself look like Jonas. Rusty yells at him because appearing to be his dead father was not comforting at all.

I see no end to the series. They seem to be raising more questions than they answer. And even if they weren't, that doesn't matter because the point of the show is comedy. This isn't Lost.

Fantastic episode, by the way.

Edited on 08/12/2008 3:14pm

S-Shield

[27]Aug 12, 2008

I'm still trying to figure out some of the clues.

There was a url address in a clue from the 60's. And OSI told Brock to watch the patch of ground on the Venture Compound where both the directions to ORB and the phonograph from Sandow were buried.

You may be right about Kano, since he had the other cylinder from Sandow, perhaps he buried the other one. But Kano didn't seem to know about the strip of paper with the directions to ORB, did he? Because when Brock asked "If Doc doesn't have the other cylinder, what does he have?" and Kano said "Knowing Rusty, toliet paper."

So what did OSI tell Brock to watch? The phonograph or the directions?

I'm hoping they explain who did what in the next two episodes.

Canada_Champ

[28]Aug 12, 2008
    • level: 14
    Aldebaran135 wrote:

Canada_Champ wrote:
    I think it was Limb driving the car trying to kill Brock..

Don't you think that's a little out of left field?

Especially since we knew the car was on "auto-pilot" from earlier in the episode.

Well they need to get Limb in there SOMEHOW, the season is coming up on its finale, they need to get Phantom Limb involved in order to complete his 'revenge'. They CAN play it off as the car being on auto-pilot, since they showed the car being able to have auto-pilot, and that can work as the reason, UNTIL Phantom Limb shows up and reveals that it was him.

tubalcane420

[29]Aug 12, 2008

The ultimate goal regarding OSI and Brock was to keep Rusty, and anyone else, from activating the orb. OSI doesn't know what it is, but they would rather not find out in case it happened to be a weapon. The cylinder that Brock was looking for simply had backstory on the orb. Brock just wanted to know more about his mission.

Since Rusty showed that he would be responsible with the orb, and since Brock didn't want to kill Rusty unless he had to, Brock let Rusty live. His car's computer still had orders to kill Brock, but I figure Brock is tough enough to take on his car and we will not hear about this any time soon on the show.

tubalcane420

[30]Aug 12, 2008

S-Shield wrote:

In answer to your particular question, the directions. The phonograph and the pamphlet (Orders Regarding Bodyguard) were left by OSI for Brock to tell him to kill Rusty if he started the orb. Brock tried to resign because he read that his mission was to kill Rusty. Brock car's computer misunderstood and tried to kill Brock. OSI isn't watching Brock that closely. Brock's only enemy at the end was his car's computer, not OSI as a whole.

Edited on 08/12/2008 3:28pm
    Edited 2 total times.

riceman360

[31]Aug 12, 2008
    • level: 2
    so i guess... Jonas hides the Orb in the garden. he thinks he's done it in secret, but an OSI guy (Kano?) actually sees him. he only figures this out later and realizes he'll never get to the Orb, so he fakes his death (joins the Guild?), hoping Rusty may one day find it. to help him he creates all those clues in the cartoons. meanwhile, the OSI continues on and assigns Brock to watch the Orb, Rusty, etc...

RaizenYusuke

[32]Aug 12, 2008
    tubalcane420 wrote:

Kano was silent before Jonas died (right?), so the great man he went silent for was not Jonas. Although that doesn't mean he DIDN'T kill Jonas.

The "Jonas" we saw in season two was not Jonas but was an alien who was pulling a "Contact" by making himself look like Jonas. Rusty yells at him because appearing to be his dead father was not comforting at all.

I see no end to the series. They seem to be raising more questions than they answer. And even if they weren't, that doesn't matter because the point of the show is comedy. This isn't Lost.

The real Jonas left the video tape for Rusty to build the device, the alien who took on his appearance to destroy the threat only appeared at the end of the episode. My point was that Jonas plans for things a head of time and he most likely left clues for Rusty to find the orb like Brock's mentor said, before his death.

Kano is at least involved in Jonas' death seeing as how he avoided Brock's question. Another question is that OSI knew of the Guild's existence, the Venture ancestor was killed by his body guard i.e. a member of OSI, so why were so many OSI agents unaware of the Guild back when Brock was working with his mentor before Rusty's Blanket? Did OSI know there were traitors in their ranks and they erased any records of the Guild?

S-Shield

[33]Aug 12, 2008
    tubalcane420 wrote:

S-Shield wrote:

In answer to your particular question, the directions. The phonograph and the pamphlet (Orders Regarding Bodyguard) were left by OSI for Brock to tell him to kill Rusty if he started the orb. Brock tried to resign because he read that his mission was to kill Rusty. Brock car's computer misunderstood and tried to kill Brock. OSI isn't watching Brock that closely. Brock's only enemy at the end was his car's computer, not OSI as a whole.

Well, if OSI knew the directions to ORB where buried on the Venture Compound, and they were worried about Rusty using ORB, why didn't they dig the directions up themselves, find ORB, and put it in a crate next to the Ark of the Covenant from Raiders of the Lost Ark?

Sovelin

[34]Aug 13, 2008
    • level: 5
    Well, we learned that OSI is older than the Guild (the bodyguard had the mission to protect the ORB already, before the time the past venture was getting ready to activate it). Also, Kano said he took a vow of silence because he killed a great man, so it does seem as if he did kill Dr. Venture. And I doubt this will be the end of the series, as they have already begun production on season 4.

metalgeo2005

[35]Aug 13, 2008
    • level: 2

RaizenYusuke wrote:
    Another question is that OSI knew of the Guild's existence, the Venture ancestor was killed by his body guard i.e. a member of OSI, so why were so many OSI agents unaware of the Guild back when Brock was working with his mentor before Rusty's Blanket? Did OSI know there were traitors in their ranks and they erased any records of the Guild?

In "The Invisible Hand of Fate" it is shown that Sgt. Hatred was the boss of Brock. He could've convinced everyone at the OSI that the Guild is nothing but a myth.

What I don't understand is why Brock wasn't given this information in the beginning. How would he know he should've killed Rusty if he found the Orb? Why did the bodyguard of that Venture ancestor know he had to guard the Orb?

A great episode, fo'sho. But certainly confusing.

Edited on 08/13/2008 10:43am

tubalcane420

[36]Aug 13, 2008

If Brock thinks his primary mission is to protect Rusty, then he's less likely to get curious about whatever is under the herb garden and dig it up himself. The less attention paid to that spot, the better it would seem.

RiftReaper

[37]Aug 14, 2008
    • level: 9
    Kano obviously didn't hide the orb because when brock first told kano, that rusty had found the orb, kano said something like. "master rusty found orb? where did he find it, under the couch?"
    Edited on 08/14/2008 10:55pm

kanniballl

[38]Aug 18, 2008

RaizenYusuke wrote:
    Another question is that OSI knew of the Guild's existence, the Venture ancestor was killed by his body guard i.e. a member of OSI, so why were so many OSI agents unaware of the Guild back when Brock was working with his mentor before Rusty's Blanket? Did OSI know there were traitors in their ranks and they erased any records of the Guild?

The GI Joe / OSI guys knew about the Guild, but thought they disbanded years/decades ago. It was probably misinformation spread by the Guild's operatives, like how their boss secretly put the ring on after he got rid of Brock. (I didn't recognize him as Hatred, but it would make sense).

I see one of two scenario:

1. Some time between Brock's Venture assignment and now, OSI started to believe the Guild was still around. Heck, maybe all of the attacks by the Monarch tipped them off? Their double agents fail at covering up their existance and OSI is now on the watch.

2. The upper echelon at OSI always knew they were around but did not speak of it, especially to lower-ranked individuals like Brock, his mentor, and the GI Joe soldiers. After all, if it's a quiet/secret war then the mayhem will be kept to a minimum (otherwise you get costly/bloody GI Joe vs Cobra battles). Meanwhile the Guild has double agents to keep tabs on OSI and to keep lowly soldiers from finding out.

3. OSI / Guide, it's all the same. Maybe they only pretend to be Yin and Yang to allow the Guild's original goal to come to fruition: the betterment of mankind. Such as a Babylon 5 Shadow philosophy of "only through chaos and strife can a civilization truly grow."

Scenario 2 makes the most sense. After all, we know the Guild has many members and killing their arch isn't always a priority. So I really doubt that anyone could think the Guild was disbanded when costume-wearing psychos are constantly attacking top scientists, soldiers, etc.

It also means that maybe there's an unofficial truce. IE, "We'll let you villains can have your fun and arch villains and adventure-seaking families, but keep the body count to a minimum or we'll send in the troops."

Edited on 08/18/2008 12:07pm
    Edited 2 total times.

jaksword

[39]Aug 25, 2008
    • level: 4
    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    tubalcane420 wrote:

The real Jonas left the video tape for Rusty to build the device, the alien who took on his appearance to destroy the threat only appeared at the end of the episode. My point was that Jonas plans for things a head of time and he most likely left clues for Rusty to find the orb like Brock's mentor said, before his death.

Kano is at least involved in Jonas' death seeing as how he avoided Brock's question. Another question is that OSI knew of the Guild's existence, the Venture ancestor was killed by his body guard i.e. a member of OSI, so why were so many OSI agents unaware of the Guild back when Brock was working with his mentor before Rusty's Blanket? Did OSI know there were traitors in their ranks and they erased any records of the Guild?

But we can't say that he did actually kill him perhaps another villoin was about to kill him and Kano did not help. I say this because I am confused that he says he does not talk because he "took a man's life" but we see in flashbacks that he did not talk even when Jonas was alive.

Afro_monkee

[40]Sep 7, 2008
    • level: 8
    Or did he keep silent because he KNEW that, and dreading that, one day he would have to kill him?