The Venture Brothers Forums

Sunday 11:30 PM on Cartoon NetworkIn Season

Official Discussoin Thread: Everybody Comes to Hank's (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Oct 3, 2010
    • level: 101
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 10/3/10 episode "Everybody Comes to Hank's" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

basenji529

[2]Oct 4, 2010
    • level: 15

Well, incest is relative. (I know, it's not really incest, but I couldn't help but make that pun, and, by the sympathetic magic of "you're sleeping with everyone she ever slept with" that we all learned in health class, it is incest.)

Moving away from bad puns, I liked the Maltese Falcon reference with the Alchemist in there. I also liked how he's wearing an Indiana Jones costume, because pulp heroes all dressed alike.

Where next, in this land of Zeerust, shall we go, I wonder.

RaizenYusuke

[3]Oct 5, 2010
    • level: 28
    I'm not really sure what the big deal was about Hank having relations (not sure t.v. com will allow me to use the s word) with that woman. Granted it's distrubing that Rusty couldn't tell this girl was 15 and fooled around with a minor, but I don't think it would really have been messed up. It's not like they were related. Dermit being Hank and Dean's half brother is unexpected, I was sure he was Brock's son.

basenji529

[4]Oct 7, 2010

You can say sex on TV.com. Believe me, I have before on teen drama fora. Anyway, this is the subverted (perhaps double subverted) trope.

basenji529

[5]Oct 10, 2010

Actually, I thought of something else: In many cultures, there's something called partible paternity, wherein every man who has ever slept with her is her kid's father. (Don't laugh; if you've ever said "How can you be pregnant?" andthe next sentence wasn't"We haven't done anything.", you're just as bad.)This simultaneously explains polyandry and the levirate and the taboo against both.

And there's the sympathetic magic in our own culture of "If you sleep with her, you're sleeping with whoever she's slept with." Which leads to some fridge horror if you actually do the math. (Read up on quadratic equations.) Of course, that's the point.