The Venture Brothers Forums

Sunday 11:30 PM on Cartoon NetworkIn Season

Season 5 Discussion

RaizenYusuke

[1]Jun 9, 2013
    • level: 28

Let's talk season 5 here. Last season had Hank rebelling after Brock left. This season it looks like its Dean's turn. He is being more verbal about not wanting to be a super scientist.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RaizenYusuke

[2]Jul 10, 2013

Is anyone watching this season? I've been impressed. This season is really building up the shows myth arc and answering some questions introduced in earlier seasons, while rising some new ones. Last episode we finally learned that Myra is in fact not the boys mother. Bowie the Sovereign isn't the real David Bowie, but a shape shifter who stole his identity. The Monarch's parents were friends with Jonas Sr. Dean's gone emo, but overall I like he's sarcastic and more realistic/cynical. Finding out heand Hank were cloned several times and died had a huge impact on his personality.

MajLorne

[3]Jul 12, 2013
    • level: 21
    I haven't watched all the episodes of the series, but I've seen a few to enjoy the absurdities of the show. I do wish they aired the reruns more often.
    I like #21 being his own guy and Hatred as the new guardian. But no one can replace Brock. I do like the set up of this big bad like with that trio a few eps ago. Certainly a step up over seeing the Monarch constantly attacking the Ventures. Also the GI Joe Parody with Sphinx was great, very 'creepy' seeing how much hank enjoyed being in that suit. Finally Cocktease as a mercenary for the good guys now is going to be really interesting.

kanniballl

[4]Jul 15, 2013
    • level: 18

Wow, talk about a short season. Looks like 8 or 9 episodes total.

At least the finale looks cool. And the cliff-hanger after last night's Bot Meets Bot episode was solid.

RaizenYusuke

[5]Jul 15, 2013
    I can't believe the season is ending next week. Did they cut season 5 in half like they did season 4? 8 episodes would make season for half a season and another 8 for the second half to make a whole 16 episode season. Or at least get 13 episode season like for previous seasons. I loved this season so far waiting 2 years for a short season is disappointing. Doc getting crushed by giant disco ball was unexpected funny.

MajLorne

[6]Jul 17, 2013
    • level: 21
    That episode was great seeing all the council members and loving the wacky races reference. But yeah I didn't expect the season to be over already. Way too short for a long wait. I hope they don't take as long with the next season. And if it is a season finale, I want it to be a 1 hour episode because this last ep set up so much that can't be fit into a 30 min one.

RaizenYusuke

[7]Jul 23, 2013

It lacked the wham factor as the other season finales had. Part of me thinks it's because this wasn't meant to be a season finale, but got turned into one. Hank knows he's a clone too, but took it better than Dean did. Doc and Monarch had a heart to heart talk about what failures they are. Gary returns to the Monarch, but defeats the 2 Muppet dicks. The cocoon was destroyed (possibly all his henchmen died) along with the Monarch's house. Gary returned to the Monarchs. Dr. Girlfriend came back to the Monarch in season 2. Gathers returned to OSI. Is Brock the only character not to go back to his old position? I like Hatred, but I miss Brock was with the Venture clan.

He said it himself that they were his family. Ok if he can't be their bodyguard could he at least live with them when he's not doing a OSI mission? I'm hoping Brock either comes back to be the Ventures body guard in season 6 or get to live with them and just go to work with OSI. Good season, but also a short one. I expected to get at least 13 episodes instead of 8 or 9.

qtwanderer

[8]Jul 26, 2013
    • level: 27
    Just caught up with my dvr, enjoyed the season but it was short, I hope the next season was broken up from this one like you said Raizen. One of my favorite things about this season is how Hank would balance Dean out this season, like when he was disappointed about Myra not being their mother and even when Dean told Hank about them being clones. Cool its finally out there about the third venture kid and a short appearance by Orpheus and Kissinger. Alot happened this season (even though it was short) but not enough. Hopefully its not another long wait for a short thrill.

RaizenYusuke

[9]Jul 26, 2013

God I hope we don't have to wait 2 years for the next season. I love the Venture Bros. I just hate waiting 2 or 3 years for a new season. This season was a short one. I can't even imagine waiting 2 more years after this season. I wish they would just hire animators to cut down the time it takes for them to produce and animate the series.

A lot did happen this season that made it worth the wait. Man they know how to make it up to us for waiting so long. We learned Myra wasn't their mother, Monarch was Rusty's childhood friend, The Council of 13's true identities, Sovereign isn't really David Bowie, the Investors are more sinister element and not Monstrso's minions,Cocktease is working for OSI (I totally agree with Brock that this a bad idea), Monarch lost his cocoon, house, minions leaving him with only his wife, Gary, and his old family house (which may shed more light on Rusty and Monarch's shared past), and Dermit knows he's a Venture and called Doc dadand had all 3 Ventures with WTF faces.It's such a great series even if it is a long wait.I loved Dean's character development this season. It mirrored Hank's rebellious side last year, but was stillunique to Dean himself.

He's a lot like Rusty with smart ass remarks and disillusioned with super scientist life style despite showing potential to be a scientist. Rusty shows promise to, but he's just too lazy and uninterested in actually being successful at it like his brother J.J. Next season should be equally as interesting. I want to see Dean further develops. I hope he doesn't go back to hisold self like Hank did when Brock came back. It works better that Hank and Dean continue to develop their own unique personalities andrealize life has ups and downs. I hope Dean finds a right mixture of snark, disillusionment, and less emo this season.

MatthewRaiche

[10]Jul 29, 2013
    • level: 5

Seriously! We waittwo years and all we getare eight 22-minute episodes? I know they don't want to compromise the quality of the show by rushing themselves (I've heard that's what happened to "The Tick"), but why does it take two years just to make eight episodes?

RaizenYusuke

[11]Aug 1, 2013
    MatthewRaiche wrote:

Seriously! We waittwo years and all we getare eight 22-minute episodes? I know they don't want to compromise the quality of the show by rushing themselves (I've heard that's what happened to "The Tick"), but why does it take two years just to make eight episodes?

From what I've read (and I could be wrong) the reason it takes them so long to make an entire season is because they are both the animators and producers. That means they don't have other artists who help them out. They do it all themselves. They draw it (it takes a lot storyboards/drawings to get one episode done), animate it, color it, get the voice actors together to do the voices, and finish it off. When they get it all done it goes into production. 13 episodes can take 2 years to make. Whereas other shows have team of artists and different producers it speeds up the process.

AriSky

[12]Aug 5, 2013
    • level: 36

Soooooo, anyone know when the next episode is going to air? Can't seem to find a listing after Devil's Grip.

RaizenYusuke

[13]Aug 6, 2013
    We won't know when the next episode airs until the next season's air date is revealed.

MariyaRodrigu

[14]Aug 12, 2013
    • level: 1
    They said during the making of this last season that it takes so long because they are using hand drawn art using some animation studio in Korea irrc.

qtwanderer

[15]Aug 12, 2013
    • level: 27
    Que?
    Sometimes I think they just say whatever to keep us satisfied till the next season.