The Venture Brothers Forums

Sunday 11:30 PM on Cartoon NetworkIn Season

Worst Father Jonas or Rusty

RaizenYusuke

[1]Sep 4, 2008
    • level: 28
    Like the name of the thread says who do you think was a worst father Jonas Sr. or Thaddeus?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jackmalloy

[2]Sep 5, 2008
    • level: 5
    Rusty is the worst father.......i mean he cant even keep his kids alive so he had to clone them. Also he doesn't seem to care much when they die.

But Jonas sucks too......but he seem to care about rusty even though he pretty much screwed up his life.

solgrifter

[3]Sep 11, 2008
    • level: 31
    Is there any reason for comparison? Jonas over Rusty anyday of the week.

RaizenYusuke

[4]Sep 11, 2008
    solgrifter wrote:
    Season 3 revealed that Jonas was a bad father much like Rusty. Forcing his son to kill a guy, having one night stands, nearly having sex with a woman in his son's room with him in it, ect. There have been hints as far as season one that Jonas was a bad father.

solgrifter

[5]Sep 12, 2008
    • level: 31

RaizenYusuke wrote:
    solgrifter wrote:
    Season 3 revealed that Jonas was a bad father much like Rusty. Forcing his son to kill a guy, having one night stands, nearly having sex with a woman in his son's room with him in it, ect. There have been hints as far as season one that Jonas was a bad father.

I'll give you the points on traumatic mental scarring.

However comma-pause-for-effect, what's the last death count on Hank and Dean?

RaizenYusuke

[6]Sep 12, 2008
    solgrifter wrote:

RaizenYusuke wrote:
    solgrifter wrote:

I don't really think those are really Rusty's fault though. They are put in the same amount of danger he was put in, only difference is they actually died.

RaizenYusuke

[7]Sep 12, 2008
    jackmalloy wrote:
    Rusty is the worst father.......i mean he cant even keep his kids alive so he had to clone them. Also he doesn't seem to care much when they die.

But Jonas sucks too......but he seem to care about rusty even though he pretty much screwed up his life.
    The fact that he clones them proves he does love the boys as he is willing to clone them rather than just let them die and be done with it. The first episode of season 2 Rusty has a break down after the boys deaths. He loves them and he does care that they die.

kanniballl

[8]Sep 16, 2008
    • level: 18

I agree with another poster, lately we've seen that Dr Jonas Venture Sr is not the perfect man the world remembers him as. He was a horrible father, not a great person, and though a great scientist he still had disasters that he covered up at the expense of others. At least on one occasion he was letting Rusty be terrorized so he could make a dramatic entrance.

As to who's the worst father, hard to tell. I imagine that Rusty turned out the way he did due to the crud his father put him through. So you could almost blame Jonas for Rusty's poor parenting skills. Then again we know the Ventures have been in the action game for a while so maybe Jonas was treated the same way.

In the end I say Jonas was the worst father. He purposely took his young son on dangerous "adventures" merely for the thrill of it, and in one instance we saw him delay rescuing his scared son.

Meanwhile most of Rusty's misadventures with his kids come from going somewhere to make a quick buck and something insane happens in the background (or The Monarch appears). Essentially, his travels start out benign and get crazy while Jonas's were always dangerous.

A list of some of my feeligs about Jonas's actions.

1. He took Rusty on adventurous missions just for fun and the adventure.
      1. Most of Rusty's outting are innocent enough, he's just out to make some cash. But then something outside of his control happens.
    2. Jonas delayed rescuing Rusty from what would later become his new Venture compound.
    3. Jonas had Rusty kill as a child, even though there were other adults hanging around.
      1. Brock tried to do that at least once but the kids were too clueless to realize it.
    4. The whole key party thing.
    5. The dream (or possible memory) of Jonas walking into the kitchen with it hanging out.
    6. Jonas forgot about his miniature team member and left him to fend for himself even though the control room had safe entry. Some friend he turned out to be.
    7. He left Rusty's entire fan club in the bowels of the complex to rot.
    I think Jonas really was a horrible person. He might have been a great scientist, but that doesn't make up for it.
    Edited on 09/16/2008 12:56pm
    Edited 2 total times.

basenji529

[9]Jun 7, 2009
    • level: 15
    Mentally, I have to give Jonas the advantage for the honor of worst father. But how many times have Hank and Dean died again?

Lionheart08

[10]Oct 24, 2009
    • level: 30

At first glance, I'd immediately say Rusty, but the more I think about it, the more I realize Jonas was infact the worst of the two. In the case of Rusty, yes Dean and Hank has died numerous times. But I think Rusty put it best, nonchantly though, that his kids are danger prone. He's essentially the neglectful parent to the extreme. I have to assume to that the main cause for his neglectfulness is the fact that he's fully capable of recloning them if they died. We saw in the Season 4 premere that he scolded Hank for opening a ticking package.

Jonas on the otherhand was a a complete douche. I think everyone else has completely touched upon his traits that made him a bad parent. Unlike Rusty, who's neglectfulness can be explained, Jonas simply had no redeeming qualities.

RaizenYusuke

[11]Oct 26, 2009
    Exactly now that the clones are gone Rusty seems to be stressing to the boys that they need to be more careful. Jonas on the other hand thought it was good idea to use Rusty as a test dummy for asument park rides.

RaizenYusuke

[12]Nov 23, 2009
    New info too add. Jonas didn't allow Rusty to live the compound, made him wear shorts all his life, and gave his son therapy, but instead of helping him he simply made him feel worst by saying he was ungrateful. Jonas is the worst father out of the two IMO.

sparks303

[13]Dec 3, 2009
    • level: 2
    Jonas for sure. his poor fathering, along with the actions of the the original Team Venture (forcing Rusty to kill a man at 10 years old, Action Man putting a gun to Rustys head and pulling the trigger on an almost nightly basis) are the reason Rusty is a bad father.

orb-it-al-76

[14]Dec 4, 2009

That is a tough call. Rusty seems to have more baggage as a father then Jonas. Apples to apples, I think it is close to a draw. Certainly Jonas was much better at PR and confidence then Rusty ever will be in his life. Though Jonas and his choices hurt many more people then just his son.

mrsfryman1701

[15]Dec 7, 2009
    They are both 'bad' dads. Rusty is just like his dad, he is more into his 'science' than his offspring. Both father neglected their boys. I just hope it isn't passed on to the boys, if they survive.

basenji529

[16]Sep 16, 2010
    • level: 15

Well, now, Rusty is very casual about hiring a pedophile to guard the boys, and even treats the possibility of Sgt. Hatred sleeping with Hank as nothing.

Turk_Reno

[17]Sep 17, 2010
    • level: 3

RaizenYusuke wrote:
    solgrifter wrote:

RaizenYusuke wrote:
    solgrifter wrote:

I don't really think those are really Rusty's fault though. They are put in the same amount of danger he was put in, only difference is they actually died.

Exactly. As Rusty said in season two "When you have accident prone kids you make them wear a helmet. When you have death prone kids you keep a few clones laying around." The twins are just clumsy and can't keep up. But it is a bit of Rusty's fault as well.

"I didn't choose this life. This life was poured into my lap like a scolding hot cup of responsibility!" That was Rusty's responce to Brock in one episode. But now he's passing the buck on to his kids.

RaizenYusuke

[18]Sep 17, 2010
    True Rusty seems to be pushing Dean to become a super scientist. He neglects Hank because he is the less scientific of the two. Even though Rusty is a bad father we have seen moments where expresses actual love and concern for the boys. I just don't think we have seen that in Jonas in all the flashbacks. In fact with every flashback of Joans he becomes progressive worst and worst. Jonas abandoned his friend at the first sign of trouble, but he also left all those orphans to die when M.O.M attacked the original Team Venture. At least Rusty has somewhat of an excuse for his behavior seeing how he was raised, but did Jonas have a bad childhood as well?

firedrakes

[19]Oct 3, 2010
    • level: 13

rusty. if you seen the latest episode

icemanosid

[20]Mar 29, 2011
    • level: 4
    Question, how can we be certain Jonas didn't clone Rusty?

We've seen that Rusty copies much of his fathers work, so the cloning had to be near completion if not already completed. So whose to say Jonas didn't clone Rusty without anyone knowing?