The Venture Brothers

Past Tense

Aired Sunday 11:30 PM Oct 16, 2004 on Cartoon Network

• Dr. Venture, Brock, Mr. White, and Baron Underbheit are kidnapped attending the funeral of a college pal, and it's up to Hank, Dean, and the original Team Venture to rescue them.

We learn a bit about Dr. Venture and his friends' pasts in this episode. While the men are imprisoned by their supposedly dead friend, they flashback to their time together in college.

There we learn that not only were Doc and Brock roommates, but Doc went to school with a few people who would end up becoming his arch enemies, Baron Underbheit and the Monarch. We learn more about Brock, how he was kicked out of school for accidentally killing a football teammate during a game, and that was why he left to join the army.

But despite the sometimes seriousness and dark humor of the episode, it's still generally kept light, with flashbacks zoomed in and out in a "Happy Days" checkered style.

And except for Brock, Doc and his friends were your average college dorks, pulling pranks on each other and playing Dungeons and Dragons.

We also learn a bit about Jonas Venture's past by meeting the original Team Venture led by Colonel Horace Gentleman: Kano, the Action Man, and Otto Aquarius.

A solid episode that explores the characters' pasts and gives a wider view of their universe.
TOON