The Venture Brothers

The Family That Slays Together, Stays Together (2)

Aired Sunday 11:30 PM Aug 24, 2008 on Cartoon Network

• This was an intense season finale. I am reviewing parts 1 and 2 together, because for all intents and purposes, they are one episode.

I could tell from the beginning of part one of this episode that it would include some major plot development, and I was not disappointed. I have to say, the third season of the Venture Brothers has been a bit different, as it has included far more plot and less jokes than the previous two seasons. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as it has been interesting to finally discover so much of the backstory of these characters. I especially loved how this episode finally showed us the beginning of the Guild, and what happened to the original Dr. Venture (has anyone else been really curious about that?). However, I would love to see season 4 return with some of the previous nonstop humor of seasons 1 and 2. I have to say, about this episode, it seemed a bit odd for Brock to suddenly surrender when the clones begin marching on the battle. Was it out of fear that the clones be destroyed? I don't know why he would care. It seemed out of character. And why would he quit at the end, when it seemed so clear earlier that he cared about the Venture boys and didn't want to leave them, but did it out of care for their safety. I suppose all the weirdness has finally gotten to him.

All in all, a good episode that leaves me longing for the start of Season 4.