A The View Community
Weekdays 11:00 AM on ABC

... Elisabeth Hasselbeck is going somewhere her views will be more appreciated. The very Republican and conservative blonde is leaving ABC's The View, where she's been perched since late 2003. She'll start a new job over on Fox News, where she'll join the morning show Fox and Friends in mid-September. Hasselbeck's last day on The View is tomorrow. Bye, Liz! Have fun being "fair and balanced!" [NY Post]

BUSINESS TIME

... Fox has ordered a pilot for The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, based on the graphic novel by Alan Moore and Kevin O' Neill. Said league is made up of extraordinary gentlemen from fiction, including Captain Nemo, the Invisible Man, and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. The graphic novel was adapted into a mediocre movie starring Sean Connery in 2003. It sounds like Fox doesn't want ABC's Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. to steal all the "superhero" thunder, and the timing of the pilot order means it isn't too late for it to join the 2013-2014 schedule. [EW]

... HBO will air a documentary about the fight against Proposition 8, the California ballot initiative that banned gay marriage (the initiative was recently put down by the Supreme Court). Filmmakers Ryan White and Ben Cotner had behind-the-scenes access to the legal team that fought Prop 8 for two years. The documentary will air next year on HBO. [HBO via press release]

... Meredith Vieira is getting her own talk show, courtesy of NBC Universal. The syndicated chatter will eye a 2014 launch, and will be lighter in tone and whatever, is anyone else still reading this or have we all moved on to the next item and the terrible/awesome pun I have waiting in the next header? [Deadline Hollywood]

YOU MUSTARD KETCHUP ON SOME TV

... CBS has put all of Unforgettable's first season online. The series stars Poppy Montgomery as a detective with a sponge-like memory that doesn't forget a thing. You can watch the episodes over at CBS.com before Season 2 starts on July 28. [CBS.com]

... AMC will marathon one of my favorite shows of the year so far, Sundance Channel's drama Rectify, this Sunday, July 14 starting at 9am. Rectify follows a man who's released from Death Row nearly two decades after he was first incarcerated, when DNA evidence says he didn't do it. It's only six episodes long, so set your DVR and save it for a rainy afternoon or just get your Sunday off to a great start and watch 'em all. [AMC via press release]

CASTING NEWS

... Jamie Hector, who ran parts of Bodymore, Murderland in HBO's The Wire as gang leader Marlo Stanfield (and also had super-strength in Heroes), is joining Cinemax's cool-sounding pilot Quarry. In the potential series, a Vietnam vet sniper (Logan Marshall-Green) returns home from the war to find the doors of opportunity shut in his face and ends up taking work as a contract killer. Hector will play his best friend. [TV Line

... Starz's upcoming time-traveling romance Outlander has found its hunky dreamboat. Scottish actor Sam Heughan will play Jamie Fraser, a 1700s Scot warrior in the Highlands who starts a thing with a portal-hopping WWII nurse. Heughan was previously seen in the U.K.'s Doctors. Look for Outlander in 2014. [TV Line]

... Wayne Brady will return to CBS's How I Met Your Mother in a recurring role, reprising the character of Barney's brother James. The upcoming season is the series' final, and will be set entirely during Barney and Robin's wedding weekend. [TV Line]

... Ryan Seacrest is in talks to host NBC's The Million Second Quiz, an experimental game show that takes place over the course of two weeks, with contestants playing for hours and hours at a time. He'd also join the show as an executive producer. See? Seacrest has like five jobs, why do you complain so much about your ONE job? Lazy. [Variety]

... We knew it already, but Jenna Elfman has been confirmed as the female lead in NBC's upcoming comedy Growing Up Fisher. She replaces Parker Posey, who left the series after starring in the pilot. [NBC via press release]

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/2/2014

Season 18 : Episode 20140502

72 Comments
Comments (72)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Whether you like her views or not, Hasselbeck dared to bring a difference in opinion and I believe that was very beneficial to The View. It's always good to have an importance placed on individual thought and a free, open, and honest discussion of issues. That's something I'm guessing will be missing from The View from now on. (Fox and Friends has been the same way in a conservative bias)
Flag
Hasselbeck is an improvement over the horrible Gretchen Carlson. Seriously, I can't stand her. What is it about her?
Flag
For Elizabeth Hasselbeck it's probably like coming home since she comes from the same clone facility for shallow and not too bright Fox "News" bimbos. ^^
Flag
It's like finding out that after years of painful and awkward trial-and-error, the square peg has gone and placed itself in the square slot.
Flag
Will Ryan Seacrest's new job involve him finally going to sleep for a few hours?
Flag
Another day, another failed Jenna Elfman sitcom pilot. She's become a television sad sack. Remember when ABC was constantly telling you how great Dharma and Greg was?
Flag
Yet another beautiful conservative blonde joining Fox News. She's not going to stand out as much now.
Flag
Seriously, being surrounded by Joy Blowhard, that fat Jamaican guy, and the old botox broad made her look heavenly. Jeez, Sherri Shepard will be the "good looking one". Asstastic!
Flag
Politics aside, Fox and Friends is the most annoying morning show ever. Everything feels forced and it's hosted by the forever unintentionally hilarious Steve Doocy, host of Steve Doocy's Dance Party. That's right, someone once thought he was hip enough to host a dance show. Kind of like getting Wilford Brimley to host Soul Train.
Flag
Hey creators of HIMYM,

Wake up! Setting season 9 entirely during the wedding is idiotic. 4 or 5 episodes, maybe. But, eventually you have to move on. Why not skip the moment where we meet her (maybe leave that for the end), advance beyond the wedding and have him try to find her afterwards. It also mentioned a possible love triangle with her boyfriend Louis.
Flag
The Outlander series is actually being made. I'm so excited! (and that actor is an excellent pick for Jamie)
Flag
"That's totally a surprise!" said no one ever as per the Fox non news news.
Flag
Holy shitballs, is this Legion of Extraordinary Gentlemen going to be as off-note as the movie? That was Fox as well, "LXG" the posters said to let you know that something toxic was coming. I predict this falls on its face before kicking and screaming like a little brat.

Jenna Elfman hath become the kiss of death, partly because she's only cast in projects that are so mishandled that they'd consider casting Jenna Elfman.
Flag
Staff
Jenna Elfman has starred in the most Pilots in TV history. Someone back me up with research and facts.
Flag
I suddenly have a newfound love for news briefs that aren't put in a particular community.
Flag
It is not a surprise at all, is it?
Elisabeth Hasselbeck will be well suited on Fox with her views and at least she won't be interrupted and talked over.
I look forward to the look of wonderment on her face when she actually gets to finish a sentence completely with no one mumbling or waving their hands over her face.
Flag
The set will have to smell better too.
Flag
Hasselbeck and Fox News make perfect sense, both are delusional and slightly crazy.
Flag
I will give League of Extraordinary Gentlemen a try - loved the movie!
Flag
A League Of Extraordinary TV Series? What are the odds that this'll stay anywhere close to the spirit of the book?

And FINALLY! I missed the boat on Person Of Interest, so it's good that I'll finally get a chance to marathon it. :3
Flag
0 to 1 are those odds. What, Fox is going to throw out all the actors after the first season to start over in a new era? Not likely.
Flag
I don't expect a strict adaptation, but...I hope it's nothing like the movie. :o
Flag
I'm so tired of all these people bashing a cable news channel that's been #1 in the ratings for years. "Fox News lies!... they're a joke!... only stupid people watch!" LOL, what?? Do any of you have a mind of your own, or do you just simply repeat every ignorant comment made on the internet?
Flag
#1 in the ratings? Yeah, so according to this logic let's eat shit because Millions of flies can't be wrong. BTW: Spongebob has higher ratings than Fox "News" (and is even smarter). When will people like you learn that there's a difference between quality and quantity!
Flag
Right, I should start getting reliable news from Jon Stewart and The Onion then. Thanks for your thoughtful input.
Flag
Oh, that would be a switch from an (unintended) comedy show to an (intended) comedy show. You're welcome! ^^
Flag
Nope they're #1 because they're the only news source for this particular kind of people, and because the people who watch this will not go watch anything else, or on the internet, or read a newspaper, because only Fow news says the truth to them.
I'm not saying the other medias don't lie, all of them do, but the fact that a majority of Fox news viewers will not bother to go look at any other sources (or even will not even consider theirs might not be 100% reliable) is problematic in itself.
And it doesn't matter what that channel's political opinion is for that to be problematic.
Flag
You have seen the statistics that say that Fox news' viewers are the most misinformed in America, right?
Flag
And that makes CNN, MSNBC, or any other news outlet the least misinformed? For 4 years, every single one of those channels beat us over the head with what a wonderful job Obama's doing. Great reporting, right?

You might have legitimate reasons for disliking Fox News, but most people do not. Whenever correspondents go out to interview regular people, these brainwashed idiots say the same thing. "Fox News lies!" or something to that effect. And yet they can never back up as to why they feel this way.

I like Fox because it's refreshing to hear from BOTH sides instead of straight liberal bias. That's why they'll continue to stay #1 no matter what new study says about them.
Flag
There's a whole website dedicated to compiling evidence and documenting the lies Fox news tells --> foxnewslies.net.

I tried googling "fox news lies" and got 1.41 million results. Compared to
"msnbc lies" = 6,141 results
"cnn lies" = 36,200 results

Same with youtube. "fox news lies" gets you 34,600 results.
"msnbc lies" = 692 results
"cnn lies" = 7,460 results

Sure everybody lies, it's just that fox news apparently does it more often.

Sadly, all this just reminds us, whether you're watching Fox News, MSNBC or CNN, or any other network for that matter, to not instantaneously believe in everything they say. We have to use the internet to verify and learn more about what they are saying. Particularly if the issue/topic/personality at hand is something/someone that we would be voting on.
Flag
The viewers, not the news outlets, and you can not possibly believe that Fox news is any less biased than MSNBC? I tracked down the study, and I quoute:

"Scholars at the university have conducted a survey on the impact of the news business on good citizenship. Not surprisingly, they found that voters who made the effort to watch TV news and read about the issues were less likely to be misinformed. Not surprisingly, there was a significant exception: Fox News.

MSNBC took some hits, but it was the daily viewers of Fox News who were significantly more misinformed about healthcare, climate change, and Barack Obama. They were 14 points more likely to mistakenly believe that "the stimulus legislation did not include any tax cuts," and 13 points more likely to erroneously believe that "the auto bailout only occurred under Obama," and 12 points more likely to hold the incorrect belief that "when TARP came up for a vote most Republicans opposed it." By 30 points, they mistakenly believed that "most scientists do not agree that climate change is occurring."

And of course, they were 31 percent more likely to believe the Birther whopper that "it is not clear that Obama was born in the United States."

It was not a matter of partisan self-selection. Democrats who watched Fox, as well as Republicans, came away misled and misinformed."

More misinformed than people who don't read or watch any news at all - that's just disturbing
More +
Flag
What I find so amazing about that study is that people who watch Fox news actually know less about the world than people who don't watch news at all!

How can a person who works for Fox News take any pride in their work knowing this? After all, they are supposed to be not just any channel, but a news channel. How does it feel to know that when you have worked for Fox News one day, your viewers will be less informed than they were in the morning? Usually people make a contribution to society in some way when they are working. But what Fox News does moves society back a notch. If you work for Fox News, your work is less valuable than if you didn't work at all! That's crazy! If the whole Fox News organization was shut down, people would be better informed. That means that not only is its contribution to society zero, but it's actually less than zero, it's negative.

I ask again: how can anyone with good conscience work there? All the hours you put into "researching" stories, distributing them to the public, only to find out that people know less after all the work you did. Doesn't that bring a person down? It's must be like working for a food company, and to discover that when customers eat your food, they starve.
More +
Flag
Another, more recent on-line news site claimed that there were 7 different studies that showed the same thing, but they didn't include their sources.
Flag
http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/john-farrell/2010/12/22/university-study-fox-viewers-more-misinformed
Flag
I would like to read that study. If you could like to it, I would appreciate it.
Flag
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen wasn't mediocre, it was terrible.
Flag
Really Fox News you get people like Hassleback wonder why we do never took seriously of Fox news department...
Flag
Shouldn't John Lithgow and Frances Conroy be a part of HIMYM's final season?
Flag
the 'league' show sounds worth a shot.

i'm not going to watch something about bigots who have nothing better to do than be bigoted.

lol "watch ... at cbs.com" good luck with that!

rectify was fairly incredible. don't burn yourself out on it though, it can be heart-wrenching which may call for some time off between episodes.

and jaime hector has a role that *gasp* ISN'T a villain?! though he does play the friend of a contract killer so he can't be all good, though for the contract killer to be the protagonist , there's obviously just going to be some gray areas. logan marshal green was the best thing about dark blue, dude can act. hoping this new show is good. jaime hector can really acto too, only problem is [expletive] could act so well I wanted to kill him several times over when he was on the wire. speaking of the wire, while I enjoyed the wire there was it wasn't great enough in my mind to break my top three favorite shows, Omar Little however is easily in my top three of greatest characters of all time. we need an HBO show character mash-up movie or something. omar little moves to deadwood where the lannisters, James Purefoy's marc anthony and Ciarán Hinds' Gaius Julius Caesar
have taken up residence. and i'm out of ideas.

I probably would have preferred a highlander reboot to whatever Outlander is supposed to be,

More+
Flag
Hmm, was this news blurb really best placed in the HIMYM community?
Flag
A stupid person for a stupid channel that caters to even more stupid people - she should fit right in. What a nightmare.
Flag
Do you not see the obvious irony in what you wrote? Your own comments don't exactly set you apart as a model of tolerance and open-mindedness. Just something to consider.
Flag
Sorry if the truth butt-hurts you - but it's true. Why should I be tolerant of stupidity? Ugh.
Flag
Couldn't you have just used the word 'hurt' instead of 'butt-hurt'? I think that makes you look a little childish and instantly undermines the seriousness of your text. Please try to purge that phrase from your lexicon and write like an adult.

And with all due respect, you have not stated any absolute truths, as there are few, if any, in this particular area. You have stated your own *opinion* and deemed it to be The Truth. Just because it's true for you does not make it universally true. Math is universally true. Pretty much everything else is open to interpretation and debate.

I'm not defending FNC anymore than I would defend CNN or MSNBC or NPR. It's not my intent to comment on the biases that I believe *ALL* news outlets have, only that it's unfair, inaccurate and unsupportable to portray every single viewer of a channel or one of its programs as stupid. If you spend time with every single one of those viewers and decide that each is stupid, then you can make that statement. But until then, you're painting with a ridiculously oversized brush. Idiots and geniuses alike occupy both sides of the political aisle.
Flag
Out of the whole of the comic book universe Fox goes with the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? What the hell? Go with the Justice League to combat SHIELD. Or anything. But I do have to say that the uncut version of The League was way better than the theatrical version. Or they could just pickup up Alphas because SciFi blew it. It was so good.
Flag
They are going with "LXG" because they still hold the rights, most likely.
Flag
eww @ dc (with batman being the general exception)
Flag
I'd be interested in seeing The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen pilot from Fox... But that being said, giving this a pilot order for this season makes it seem as though they are really desperate and are concerned about Almost Human and Sleepy Hollow.
Flag
I don't want to have to worry about sleepy hollow and almost human =(

I hope that whatever "league" product they spit out is not and does not appear rushed.
Flag
"The very Republican and conservative blonde" sounds like she'd be perfect on Fox News!
Flag
I'm surprised it took this long for her to join Fox News.
Flag
Having Hasselbeck move over to Fox is the perfect example of why they are not "fair and balanced". Their channel is an utter joke!!
Flag
Fox news, "Narrow minds for simple minds."
Flag
if you an example of what cnn and msnbc can create, i'd rather watch fox news, they at least let people have their own opinions unlike people who automatically turn to name calling cause they have nothing intelligent to say. And just so we are perfectly clear on this, name calling is not an argument, it shows a lack of one.
Flag
Individual opinions don't really play a role in real journalism. It's suppose to be Objective not Subjective which includes personal views. Fox news is the perfect example as to what Real Journalism is NOT.
Flag
CNN used to be a news channel before focusing more on entertainment and "sensationalist" news. MSNBC is just as bad as Fox News when it comes to a biased point of view. I miss the days when the "news" reported facts, not opinions on what those fact mean. It's my job to determine that. I do like Shepard Smith at Fox.
Flag
I watched the first episode of Rectify. I'm still too depressed to watch the second.
Flag
Give the 2nd a try... it's a very unique series. One episode isn't enough to judge it... sorry.
Flag
I took it more as a compliment to how successful the show was at manipulating it's audience.
Flag
Yep! The manipulating of the audience is the Cool part!! You don't really know where this guy stands... similar to Homeland.
Flag
Ah, Hasselbeck on Fox & Friends would have been funnier if she had gone over when Wiig was still on SNL.
Flag
IMO Sam Heughan looks too old to play Jamie Fraser. Jamie supposed to be really young. I wonder who will they choose to play Claire?

Outlander is one of my favorite book series - so I can't wait for Starz's show.
Flag
oh plz the view is nothing but of cackling hens, wonder how elizabeth lasted that long?
Flag
Because she's a textbook example of a cackling hen, most likely.
Flag
are you RED with anger?
Flag
Follow this Show
Members