The Voice

Tuesday 8:00 PM on NBC Premiered Apr 26, 2011 Between Seasons

thefanof

The Voice Fan Reviews (279)

6.7
  • I've had it with this show

I am a life-long music professional, first as a touring multi-instrumentalist with over 40 major-label artists, as a composer of original scores and instrumental cues for film, television, events, artist licensing, and as a producer providing artist development for over a dozen emerging major-label artists of widely-varying genres. As such, I have the ability to tell an exceptional voice from one that is a teaspoon above mediocre in seconds .

Over the past few seasons I have watched vocalists who fit the "teaspoon above mediocre" category be voted into the show's final rounds , while truly exceptional, even spectacular vocal talents have been left out. This is especially the case this season in which the 2 obvious very least-talented vocalists Were the top vote getters, and the 2 vocalists, whose talents are VASTLY superior by any criteria imaginable to the other 6 , predictably, were left out of the show is a continuing assault on musical integrity vs commercial appeal, and an insult to anyone to whommusical excellence Is important.

I refuse to endure another episode of a show that has lost all credibility as a vehicle by which talent is judged. In the end, one can count on every season's finals to be dominated by dudes with cowboy hats singing country music, and attractive teenage musical neophytes possessing personas that appeal to

those 2 demographic categories-who will be more likely to vote most often, and the least

musically astute or discriminating voters. I'm sure the show will continue to be successful, and make in record income, and in doing so continuing to undermine the value of musical excellence .

I'll close by saying that it sheer intellectual dishonesty or total musical ignorance to assert

to say that any one of the 4 chosen finalists are better vocalists or have a better "Voice" than Either Devon or Kisha. Their personas may not appeal as much to some , but, after all, the bane of this show is The Voice"
  • Think this was a racist pick

4.5
    People so ignorant all this racist mess. Everybody knows davon an Keisha sounded way better then a lot of them pick for final 4. Guess what it ain't over for them. They still great. Stop hating on jennifer
  • WILDROBE

Chloe totally lost her voice from the very start. At times, she talked--not sang. She seems mildly obsessed with The Queen of Rock, Stevie Nicks. Her hairstyles are awful and so are her choices of outfits. She tries to have the husky voice that Stevie Nicks has, but it just sounds like she has an Adam's Apple in her throat. She isn't an original artists, she is working hard to be another Stevie Nicks. Tragic performance--all of her appearances.
  • Lose the background singers please!

I wanna hear the contestants. It started out over the first years with the band drowning out the singers, now the background singers are singing over the contestants. I want to hear the contestants without interference, they deserve their voice to be heard as they are fantastic ! Please please let us hear their voice!
  • Top 3 all stolen. Chloe, Addison, and Noah

Chloe has the fashion and star attitude. She's professional and tour ready. Her deep voice in the low to mid range sparks interest but doesn't light a fire. Her vocal limits eliminate her from "powerhouse" status. Her performances are lacking in the movement department. Why hasn't she been coached in this regard? I get the feeling she doesn't take coaching well. She has so many pieces and could and should be hugely successful.

Noah could be the next teen heartthrob. His voice is beautiful. He should try some Frank Sinatra. INXS or Crowded House. His song choices have gone downhill from the peak of his blind audition. (His best performance).

Addison has been on this planet before. She, like Chloe, has that slightly throaty voice that gives it an interesting tone that really works. Her stage energy is better than Chloe's but still needs some vertical movement and not just walking back and forth. She needs to break out and rock out with some more upbeat music choices. That being said, I love her and what she has done. Every song has drawn me in. She is a star and should absolutely win this competition. Her emotional connection to every phrase is unworldly. She's freaking 15 years old! I want to say more but I'm too big of a fan. I'm also a fan of Chloe and Noah but Addison leaves me gobsmacked.
  • Blake and Gwen and Jennifer

I love Blake and Gwen together singing although those insipid dancers about ruined the song.

How stupid! Whos the lamebrain choreographer?!!

Regarding Jennifer Hudson; I've read some of the comments here and they're completely WRONG!

Jennifer Hudson is a major talent and a supportive, insightful judge.

People keep reading the crap of National Inquire and other gossip magazines.

Jennifer doesn't "she's all that"!

She's humble and won countless awards!

Miley isn't "rude". She's quirky.
  • The Voice

Love the voice. But Jennifer has to go, worst coach ever. Everything is about her. She doesn't teach because she doesn't know how. Please never again. Bring Pharrell or Celo anyone but her or Christina. Please
  • Judges

PLEASE get rid of Miley Cyrus! I know she can't help it but her VOICE is so "grating on the nerves"!

Surely you can find another fine young artist to replace her!
  • The amazing, the terrible and the trashy....

As a family who loves the voice show, my goodness what has happened? From the

Terrible coach choices, since when Is this show about judge's Miley and Jennifer, seriously. Miley was a train wreck to begin with, and then there is Jennifer, a complete horrific disaster. They are both terrible examples to young girls and the younger generation. You should feel ashamed.

I'd like to know NBC's definition of a family show ? Even back with Christina, we dont think your boobs hanging out or midriff or rearend is family flash girls you are certainly not someone I want my daughter to look up to, and it's not all about you. BTW Jennifer was your goal for everyone to see your crotch tonight during your performance? Cover it up. If your so Awesome, and amazing like you act then you shouldn't have to sell out. They are both obnoxious and think they are all show has gone to pot. If it weren't for Adam and Blake, this show wouldn't exist. For real! Bring Alicia back, now she is a gem I would want my daughter to see as a great role and amazing talent that doesn't need to over compensate by selling out with trashy attire and arrogance! Jennifer and Miley have no place on this on you Jennifer, what happened to being you lose this when you lost your weight?

• A certain contestant (keisha) is full of it

Keisha isn't even country. She's awful trying to pull some sob story crap. No country sound at all! It shouldn't be about the sob story you have. This ain't Dr. Phil.. it should be about the TALENT and PASSION for music. It is a music show after all.
  • What's the point?

The judges just repeat themselves. Everyone is the best they heard or the best ever. What happened to past winners? I have not seen a single one on the Top 40 or Top 100.

This lacks any real development or criticism which talents need to become great. At least American Idol had routine hits.

This show feels scripted at times and none of the performers are new to the business. Most are set or studio performers or back up singers. It's not like they find people off the street. Don't believe me just wiki the performers.

You also should have actual Grammy winners as "coaches" Jennifer Hudson won her Grammy for an group performance in a musical.

This show panders to people who just want to hear karaoke and just positive nice things said about people that really need criticism to hone their talent.
  • TIME FOR THE VOICE ALL STAR SEASON

Dear the voice,

I think is time for all-star season, been 13 season now i think i be nice for all-star season. The competition would be tough and intense. Time to bring back all the contestant that haven't won the voice and come back for the second chance to shine and get record deal.

• Where's the rock acts???

3.5
    This show is getting worse and worse. The whole premise of the voice is not to have any preconceived judgments. It's supposed to be all about the talent of the voice... but it's not. It's now about who can sing country, R&B, and gospel. People who sing those 3 categories are the only ones who move on anymore, and this season is the worst! They had the most talented singer with Mariah who sang rock. Miley let her go, for... yes, you nailed it, ANOTHER country artist! The show has nothing to do with relevant talent anymore. It's all about which coach can beat Blake with a country artist or how Miley can get an all girls team. Everything the voice is supposed to be based on with no bias is now all bias by picking and choosing only certain types of music (even if they're not that good) over others who can actually sing, but sing different genres. Guess what guys? Many people out there like all types of music beyond the 3 categories of country, R&B, and gospel. I'm about done with this show and it used to be one of my favorites.
  • Bring CeeLo back

3.5
    I thought Pharrell was a terrible singer and lousy judge. Everyone kissed his patooty for being this stellar producer, but I just didn't like him. Usher was too full of himself and Jennifer is the most arrogant person I've ever seen on the show. Remember the guy who forgot the lyrics and she turned around without even hearing him sing? What is that? You don't reward someone for butchering an artists' song by forgetting lyrics. And I hate her sass. She acts 2-faced. As others have said, Miley is a terrible influence and she says the same garbage all the time. I really liked when CeeLo was on because he was no frills. He said the truth and only turned around (during the blinds) when he really felt it. Blake any more turns around just because someone else turns around.

All said, the 2 biggest downers on the show now are the coaches acting like the show's about them instead of it being about the contestants, and there's no critiques anymore. I liked AGT when Howard Stern gave some tough love. Nowadays even simon cowell is acting like mr. nice. I get mannerism's and all that, but coaching is about direction, and even the artists can read through the glam. It'd be nice if they gave some tough love, otherwise these people are going to be complacent doing things as they are... horribly... for years to come. If an artists' song is butchered, the contestant has to hear about it.

Further, it bugs me to see a contestant like judith hill not win it all, or mike schiavo and emily luther not advance further than they did. I have to believe there's something going on behind the scenes they're not telling us.

Lastly, I think the worst aspect of the show is how there's less and less diversity in genre's. Where's the classic rock singers, or jazz artists (like Emily)? It seems if they're not pop or country, they're pretty much not on the show anymore. And now the age limit is lower, so even younger kids can be on the show. They seem to keep older contestants off the show.

Lastly Lastly, I agree with others when they say contestants are just screaming. I'll add to that, that they all seem run a lot too, and fans don't vote for that later in the rounds. I remember that girl who knocked a billy joel song out of the park in the blinds. All judges were standing before she was done, but in the later rounds, she kept running ALL THE TIME, and it wore thin with fans. I tried to tell her in twitter not to do that, but of course they won't listen to me, probably don't even read my tweets. But she went home and she probably should have won it all. Contestants need criticism to know right from wrong, to learn, grow, and do better, but the judges don't do that - anymore - they hardly ever did to begin without (adam) saying something like, "but that's just me, and the rest was awesome". Grow up and get some cojones already. Yeah, I'm sick of it. Sick of good contestants going home early, sick of good contestants not being on the show, sick of fake judges, acting too nice, not critiquing, and mostly I hate that the focus is less on the music than anything else. I mean, in a 2 hour show, we'll usually see at best 8 artists sing 90-second songs. The rest is mostly stuff I fast-forward on my DVR. It's gotten old and I won't be surprised to hear it get cancelled in the near future. They could go on for 20+ more years if they'd change, but they won't listen to fans like me.
  • A little Tough Love?

The judges show no useful critiques for their teams, it's all "you're going to the finals" or drivel like "Im such a fan" Reminds me of American Idol "You're in it to win it!"

Can you imagine the football coach telling his losing team only how great they are and how they're going to the finals though they are at the bottom of their league standings, ready to be e liminated from playoffs?

How about some COACHING? Actually noticed some critiques from the coaches this week, useful, helpful, gives the coaches some credibility.

Entertainment is a TOUGH sport, and contestants who can't take a little TOUGH LOVE will not survive long. Snowflakes won't make it. The viewers who hear some awful gaffes and mistakes and imperfections would appreciate a little HONESTY from the judges rather than the constant dose of platitudes we hear contestent after contestant.
  • Racist

I think the judges are so racist, only black and whites get picked no other nationality. J hud is annoying and Miley. Thier just not original. They repeat them selves with the same comments to contestants. They suck ass.
  • Bad chemistry between judges

I use to love watching the Voice. The talent is amazing, however the chemistry between the judges doesn't mesh this season. I don't care for Jennifer Hudson's attitude. She acts as if she has something to prove and that she is the best. Kind of like Christina Aguilar behaved. Alicia Keys and Pharrell were both wonderful judges. Caring, compassionate and kind. Didn't have to break out in sound and dance. I feel the show is missing the comradery between the judges. I hope it doesn't lose all viewers like American idol
  • SUCKS!!!

1.5
    I hate the music this year it's just a bunch of yelling and screaming!! If you can't relate to any of the music it makes the show suck!!! My family and friends have all quit watching it this year!!! All that dang yelling and screaming makes me just cringe!! Are we judging for the talent or who can scream the loudest!! I'm mean really?
  • New Judges are Awful

I used to love "the voice" and couldn't wait for the next one but now I cannot watch it due to Miley Sirus and JH. Please bring back Alicia Keys and Usher!!! As long as MS is on the show, I will not watch it.
  • Clown Time

I use to love watching the show : However the show has become more about the judges and them acting stupid and to much time on the show acting like clowns rather than focusing on the artist , their talents and their journey.

I would love to see them take what they are doing more seriously , Fun is ok but when it becomes more of the shows focus I find myself doing other things .
  • Get rid of JH!!

I love watching this show every year but buy the second night of Jennifer trying to hog the show and act like Gods gift to the world I just can't bring myself to watch it! I love the rest of you so much! Just please knock her off her pedistool!
  • You've ruined this show.

Blake and Adam are the mainstays and add so much to the show. Miley and Jennifer can go ANYTIME. Miley is cheap and a bad influence to kids. Jennifer is just way over the top. If she wants to be the center of the universe, she needs to get her own show. I stopped watching the show midway through this years second night. I will not tune in until they bring in two other judges.
  • Judge on the voice

Jennifer is an insult to progressive America. She is racist and does not value an artist on their talent, rather their race. True disgrace for NBC to allow this primitive mentality.
  • Could it get any worse?

In a . I came close to quit this show when Mikey came on board as a judge. She's very annoying to watch and just plain nasty. Now I have had all that I can stand with the addition of Jennifer Hudson. Give us a break here people. Bring back Usher and Alicia Keys. Loved them both. Sorry to say this will be the first season I didn't watch to the end.
  • Luv Miley cyrus

Miley has become a welcome addition to the voice. Her enthusiasm and genuine interest for the performers is a joy to watch. Your compatibility with the other judges - especially Blake and Adam - is fun to watch. And thank you for bring Billy Ray on as your mentor. Always loved him!! Great to see him again.
  • Jennifer stinks

This is the first year I have just hated the voice. Jennifer needs to set there and shut up. If she keeps up I'll just stop watching. No one in my family likes her. We have always waited on pins and needles for the start of the season. Didn't take long watching her spout off upstage and make feeble attempts to sing. I'd almost rather just tune out. If it want for Adam Blake and Miley I would but don't how long I can stand that so called jhud. If I was jlo I'd sue her.
  • J H please stick with acting.

3.5
    I wish Jennifer would stop interrupting everyone with her attempts to sing. Didn't care for it on idol, which is why I never saw dream girls. I was enjoying the little girl singing with her dad, until Jennifer had to tell the captive audience, her little baby sings with her too. We don't care. Please let us listen to the singers that matter.
  • Mikey/Jennifer

I'm so disappointed Mikey's back! She's so annoying and obnoxious. And that standing, shaking her but, showing her crotch in those tight jeans is sickening. Why would you choose her as a judge?! Jennifer needs to tone down a bit. I get tired of her singing all the time! This isn't the Jennifer show!! Blake and Adam as always are fabulous! I love them both. They, and we, deserve better female coaches. We have been watching since Season One and have always loved all judges. Until now. We didn't like Mikey last year, talking over everyone, but now, we have Jennifer AND Mikey!! Way to much!
  • Bickering Not Funny

5.5
    I find the constant sniping between Levine and Shelton to be anything but entertaining and funny - it is tiresome and annoying. And, yes, I agree with others that Jennifer Hudson is doing all she can to be the center of attention as does Miley Cyrus. This used to be one of my favorite shows - not so much anymore. The judges seem to think they are the entertainment, but if they would cut a lot of the verbal interaction among themselves and stay off the stage, it would be a great improvement.
  • Miley

4.5
    I think that aiming for an all female team show prejudice for the male contestants since it clearly shows that they do not stand a chanxe with her choosing them. VERY DISAPPOINTED IN HER. Hope she doesn't come back next season. Need open-minded judges.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10