The Walking Dead

Beside the Dying Fire

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 18, 2012 on AMC

• Nonsense? Fiction really - spoilers below

I thought this was a great finale and really embodies what a zombie show is about. I know that some of the events in the episode seemed a little stupid, but we all need to remember that this is a show based on a comic book series. In a zombie apocalypse, there will obviously be some bad decisions and senseless killing, but not like we all make the best decisions in real life, and I guess when you are on a farm, being surrounded by mindless hungry zombies, driving around shooting them may seem like a pretty good idea at the time. Well, until you realize it's not, and then get out of there. In addition, it was your home, you would really like to protect it no?

Ultimately, when you live in zombie-land there will be a good amount of running, fighting killing. And then there obviously needs to be a focus on survival and emotional struggle. The show has done a good job creating it's own personality, while still staying close enough to the comic book series to keep all the fans entertained and somewhat happy. I think that the new direction of the show has been a great refresh and I will keep me coming back for more.

This episode really moved Rick closer to the Rick in the comics. It introduced another key character from the comics, and moved along from the farm to the prison (presumably). It also revealed what we came to realize in the previous episode. Everyone is infected. These are all elements that come straight from the comic book. I also know that the zombies seemed pretty slow and ineffective, but this is also the way the comics described them. I mean, when you are a zombie there is very little strategic thinking really. You move from point a to point b and eat. Walking dead zombies just do it slowly. I think this really works, otherwise everyone would be dead already.

I can't wait for the next season to see how they keep developing the characters, deal with their ordeals and kill some more zombies. Good way to spend a Sunday night!