The Walking Dead

Cherokee Rose

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 06, 2011 on AMC

7.9
  • Best episode since the premiere.

Sure, there wasn't a slew of zombie attacks that the group had to face off against and there wasn't huge twists like last week's discovery that Shane killed Otis, but still... this episode was compelling, exciting and interesting in a way that some of the episodes preceding it haven't been. Even last week's episode, which had a killer ending, was somewhat of a letdown the rest of the time.

In this episode, once again, most of the group splits up into different groups. Daryl goes off by himself to try and find Sophia while Shane, Andrea and Sophia's mom go in a different direction to find her. That leaves the rest of the group to try and get a zombie out of a well that has drinking water. It seems like a remarkably minor task, but sometimes, the banal has a way of bringing out some great character moments.

It's these character moments that made me enjoy the episode that much more. Some of my friends who watch the show were complaining, saying this episode felt like more filler and that the show needs more brains, death and violence. I vehemently disagree to that claim; the show works best when there's a blend of it all. In this episode, Daryl comes across as a charming person, something he rarely is. His speech about the Trail of Tears and the Cherokee Rose was beautiful and one of my favorite moments this season. Ditto goes for Herschel telling Rick that he'll have to leave soon and Rick defending their right to stay at his camp. Herschel proceeds to open up to Rick, telling him about his father and giving us the great line, "Some fathers don't deserve the respect of their sons."

There's just a lot of great moments between characters here. One bizarre one was the hook-up between Glenn and Maggie (my bad on getting Maggie's name wrong for the last two weeks, I thought her name was Rachel for some odd reason). I understand that they hook-up in the actual graphic novel series but I didn't expect it to be this quick and under these circumstances. Either way, I'm glad we're getting more Glenn scenes. He's the underdog in this show and in many of the scenes.

As I said before, the whole sequence where Rick and everyone else attempts to get the zombie from out of the well was a little bit of comic relief and a chance to see what must've been the bloodiest zombie death to date. It showed that even when the world is ending and zombies roam the earth, there are still little household chores that need to be done.

I'm not sure what to think about the Lori pregnancy. On one hand, it's fascinating to think about a woman giving birth in the middle of a world over-run with zombies and in a place with no possible medical attention. On the other hand, it's a go-to twist in TV shows and I hope the writers do something original with it instead of hiding it for a season and a half like some shows would.

I definitely found this to be the best episode since the premiere. Very compelling and filled with great character moments.