The Walking Dead

Clear

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 03, 2013 on AMC

• The Best Since the Pilot

I loved to see a bit of a throwback to the pilot of the show, which remains my favourite episode of the series. For once, the story is focussed on only a few characters. Without having to hand lines to a large cast, we get the chance to see each storyline born and complete over the course of one mostly self-contained episode. Michonne, who has largely been a brooding killing machine, receives some great characterisation here, and the bit with the multicolored cat was a wonderful burst of humour from her. Carl gets to be a vulnerable kid again, instead of a (admittedly improved) killing machine. He is still a boy, and the quest for a photo of his mother is both fitting and well handled. As for Duane and Rick, it was a treat to revisit this relationship. The writing is superb all the way through, and unlike some of the other episodes, the dialogue is restrained and effective. The questions it raises within this alt-world, about the guilt over choices made and if there is hope for humanity, are all great and handled with passion. I hope another episode like this is in the pipeline, because it was great.