A The Walking Dead Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on AMC (Returning February 12, 2017)

The world's biggest television series has been renewed for another season in what can only be described as a sound business decision for AMC. The Walking Dead will be back for Season 5. Yes, the same The Walking Dead whose Season 4 premiere drew more than 16 million viewers and the same The Walking Dead that just beat Sunday Night Football in the ratings a few days ago. In other words, we can probably pencil in The Walking Dead for another 29 seasons as well. 

But if you simply must have some semi-surprising news as well, new showrunner Scott Gimple will return as boss. Gimple took over for Glen Mazzara between Seasons 3 and 4, and Season 4 has gotten off to a fantastic start, showing improvement all across the board. The Walking Dead and AMC have a reputation for firing showrunners willy-nilly, with three showrunners (Frank Darabont, Mazzara, and Scott Gimple) in just four seasons.

AMC did not announce an episode count for Season 5, which could mean the network is considering going beyond the 16-episode order the show's had for the last two seasons. Or it could mean an intern forgot to add those details to the press release.

And one more thing, I have inside information that says Season 5 will include zombies.

Bonus reading: I not only reviewed this Sunday's episode "Isolation," I also tracked all the kills in its big zombie slaughter scene

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/11/2016

Season 7 : Episode 8

43 Comments
Comments (59)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
i am in for a life time...i will watch this as long as they make it.
Flag
Just wish Rick would quit making stupid decisions or get killed. I'm fed up with them getting rid of the strong female characters.
Flag
don't think so rick made the right decision....he knows what he does.
Flag
Renewal?
No Brainer.
Flag
Please forgive my perversion. But look at dat ass bounce in the gif.
;)

Anyway no surprises here.
Flag
As long as they keep pulling in ratings like that, they can keep going forever, specially considering the show's characters are always on the verge of death. If anyone from the cast wants to leave the project...well, the writers can get creative. All characters in TWD are expendable.
Flag
Totally didn't expect that! woow! :P
(even AMC president made fun of that)
Flag
One word for that: Amazing!
Flag
Someone call PETA For Zombies Sake PLEASE!
Flag
With this kind ratings who can blame them.
Flag
It is amazing how far TV has come. The Walking Dead is definitely the best series. I love that they have taken the obvious 'walking dead' as a metaphor for those still alive -- especially given the 'flu' that's going around. I find myself pretty depressed come Monday because Sunday is done -- the best day for television.
Flag
I'm not suprised! :)
Flag
Best season so far and imo the most fun show on tv.
Flag
Not surprised about the renewal but ecstatic to hear that they want Scott Gimple to return!! Love what he's done so far, so yay!!
Flag
This news made my week! I am so happy that this show is being renewed!
It has a really intriguing mix of horror and the undeniable appeal of the will to survive and live in the most dire of cirmcustances! I am super excited that AMC is giving this show a 5th Season! Here's hoping that The Walking Dead will be on 4 five more years!
Flag
This show will always get renewed the ratings have never been bad from season 1 till now
Flag
It's not so much that they've never been bad. It's that they keep getting better. About 5m watched the pilot in the US and 6m the season finale. 7m start for season 2 ending up with 9m. Season 3 went from 10m to 12m then 16m for the season 4 premiere. If anyone else has an example of growth of viewership like this show I'd love to hear it but I think it's about as rare as Andrea, T-Dog, Lori, Merle, Sophia, Amy, Dale and poor trusting tubster Otis (rule1-cardio) etc were when they were served up on the zombie buffet. Karen and David got way overcooked though. Women and BBQ just don't mix.
Flag
Agrre but in Karen's defence: she wasn't the Chef so the overcooking was definitely not her fault.
Flag
Shocking!...said no one ever. It would be pretty fun though if the show went on for another 29 seasons. Having slain walkers for over thirty years, a 40+ year old Carl would be such a pro at it. And Michonne would still be swinging her sword well into her sixties.
Flag
Not surprised that's why I watched revenge and skipped this because it will get renewed regardless revenge won't lol
Flag
Duh!
Flag
not really a big surprise. i'm happy :)
Flag
so surprised to see this I thought it was a given!
Flag
Excellent...
Flag
I am as shocked as everybody else :)
Flag
Un...believable
Flag
LOL! Massive shocker. It's still fantastic news though, I love this show. All I need now is for some impossible series of events to occur so that I'm cast as my character on the show... Well, The Fillion is going to be on Community so I guess some dreams can some true.
Flag
Good, good, good, more Michonne decapitating zombies.
Flag
Not forget that the telltale The Walking Dead game series got season 2 coming out as well! The game is more base on the comic and not so much the series but it's a nice story and you control the outcome!

Flag
[cheers ironically]
Flag
Imagine my shock and/or surprise!
Flag
No real surprise here but glad that they made it official. Let's just hope that season 4 continues to impress. it's been amazing so far.
Flag
Excellent news...TWD Rocks!!!
Flag
Looking forward to it: angst, blood, viscera, more blood and hopefully some great story arcs!
Flag
The Walking Dead is the oddest of shows for me. It was a show that I was really excited about when I first heard rumors of it, then it not only didn't immediately get canceled, but became wildly successful. Somehow though, I really can't get into it. Weird.
Flag
Showrunner stability is what the show needs long term...that, and for AMC to resist churning out spinoff clones like the mainstream networks do with hit series.
Flag
"And one more thing, I have inside information that says Season 5 will include zombies."

What about things? Stuff? Surely it'll have those as well?
Flag
No. Just zombies. Absolutely nothing else.
Flag
So all of Rick's group will die this season, leaving us to follow their zombified selves in season 5, as they fruitlessly search for their next meal?
Flag
Yes, pretty much. That's the most likely scenario to expect at this point. It will obviously be a multi-Emmy award winning season.
Flag
WHAT?!
Really? No way!
Someday I choke on my sarcasm...
Flag
When they revealed The Walking Dead was getting a spin-off series into 2015... They also said The Walking Dead would get a renewed as an 5th Season on top of it... But I knew anyways before because it's Cable Tv, and not the Network Channels with their bull crap...
Flag
Im so happy to hear that ! This one deserves it.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members