A The Walking Dead Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on AMC
Oh man! I'm loving the new developments of this season and how they approximate, but not exactly duplicate some of the things that have happened in the comics. Would love to discuss them in this thread with anybody who's read the books. And anyone who hasn't: participate at your own risk! There may be spoilers, but then again maybe not, since the show isn't following the books verbatim.
Comments (38)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Oct 25, 2013
Remember the twins that Dale and Andrea adopted?? Think we'll get a version of their story? Maybe with Lizzy and Mika?
Flag
Oct 28, 2013
Well, so much for Tyreese and Carol relationship now that she burned Karen: add the twins to the list of things that are not going to happen on the TV show.

And not just because Andrea and Dale are dead (and not because she would rather sleep with the Governor either).
Flag
Oct 23, 2013
I've read up to issue #114 and I've read most of them in a binge I've never been much a comic book reader but after watch the first season and a half of the show I had to read them...

Season 3 started of so strong for me and then one thing that really bothers me about season 3 is one episode Rick wants Michonne out of the prison and the next episode she's part of the group. He didn't completely trust her yet but they just brushed off the part where Rick was very adamant that he wanted her gone. Oh and when Carl and Michonne went to get the picture out of the bar and Carl dropped in right inside the door where there was a bunch of walkers Michonne walks around to the side of the building and right back with the picture.

I'm tempted to start reading the comic books again because there's some characters I don't remember like Bob from Woodbury... Was he the one that Rick followed back and killed before he made it back to tell The Governor where the prison was?
Flag
Oct 25, 2013
Bob was the town drunk in the books. The one who had to fix up the Governor after the Dr. left. The guy you're thinking about who Rick killed was Martinez.
Flag
Oct 22, 2013
I read the hard covers and read up to 8, the differences between the show and comics bothered me at first but I can watch and read them as separate series now. Although I'm still upset they killed of characters that should have lived and characters that should have died still live.
Flag
Oct 22, 2013
Really? That's one of my favorite things about their differences. For instance, I loved getting to know Shane more, and am glad to still have Herschel around. It's a bummer to lose Dale and Andrea, but am interested to see what characters are going to fill their roles now in the show.
Flag
Oct 23, 2013
Andrea is one of my favorite characters in the comics, she becomes such a strong character, didn't like what what they did with her in the show. Perhaps Beth will fer in her role.

Herschel and Dale kind of switched places, was upset about it in the beginning but didn't really matter that much at the end. I just hope they make him something more he was last seasons.
Flag
Oct 22, 2013
Hell yeah ...
I'm in the 16th book !!!

Way ahead of the TV Show and with a lot of spoilers ...
;)
Flag
Oct 22, 2013
Watched the first 3 seasons of the TV show before I even got into the comics, but once I started them, I loved them. I can't believe how absolutely brutal they were/are tho. The scene in the comics with Michonne and the Governor...jesus. And then the scene ***SPOILERS*** in which Negan is bashing Glenn's skull in, his eyes and *brains* are bursting out of his head, and he's still trying to speak?!
Not sure what direction this 4th season is going to take, but I read somewhere that Kirkman was in talks to do some sort of spin off show based on TWD universe, so that he can use that show to be as creative and liberal with his ideas as he wants, rather than having the original series follow the comics. But seeing as I read the comics a while ago and am now current with them, I'm not sure which bit of the comics the current season is depicting, if indeed it's actually following them at all.
That being said, I would like to see the community, Jesus, the guy with the tiger (his name escapes me atm) and Negan explored in the show.

Glad to see there are others out there who watch the show but who have also read the comics :)
More+
Flag
Oct 22, 2013
Love the comics love the show. Current in both. I for one am liking the Neagen story. I hate that everyone keeps comparing him to the governor. The Governor just came and killed everyone at the prison. This is more a war between two groups of people with a massive amount of people on both sides.
Flag
Oct 22, 2013
I've read all comics. I've enjoyed that a lot, but I think the present Negan arch is taking too long to resolve. First I hated the guy, but now I'm mostly bored.
Flag
Oct 22, 2013
Plus, they tried to make Negan incredibly intimidating by making him use curses in every sentence he says. He isn't anywhere as interesting as The Governor's character was. Once Negan's head is busted in, the story can hopefully move on.
Flag
Oct 22, 2013
I think so too! But I wasn't sure if the boredom stemmed from the storyline, or if it's because I have to wait so long for each issue that I've forgotten what just happened. I've consumed all the rest of the issues in binge form; waiting a month between installments is torture!
Flag
Oct 22, 2013
I know exactly what ur talking about. I think I read issues 1 - 109 in binge form, and from then on read month to month. It's so annoying, because I literally forget what happens between issues.
Flag
Oct 22, 2013
I agree. I read the first 42 issues in the volume format. Since then, I haven't enjoyed the story nearly as much, but I think it's more to do with the pacing being relatively slow with the monthly issues.
Lately, I've switched to reading two months at a time, and it's helped a lot in my enjoyment.

Also, with the publication schedule being ramped up for the next few months, it will be easier to get a "larger dose" -- ha ha :)

BTW, can anyone see me?? I got a message today that my account was pending, though for no reason I can see.
Flag
Oct 22, 2013
Exactly how I feel.
Flag
Oct 21, 2013
When the show first began I was really hoping that it would follow the comics because I enjoyed them so much. But, the interpretations of the characters were so different with the series that I was glad they veered (Andrea - prime example). I also read the books which provided some insight into the Governor and Woodbury. Still catching up on the comics. The last one I read was brutal and I hope the show doesn't go that way because I would really miss the character.
Flag
Oct 21, 2013
Haha! Which issue was it? #100? Cause that was brutal. Make sure you check out the Letter Hacks in issue #102 if you can get your hands on it!
Flag
Oct 24, 2013
Book 17 - I remember that I had to put the book down because I couldn't believe that the author went there. I was so sad. Not only because we lost the character but how we lost him. I'll have to check out the Letter Hacks.
Flag
Oct 25, 2013
There's been several times I've had to put the book down from shock. That page with what happened to Carl...
It was disappointing that's how this character went out. I guess there's really no good way for a character to die, but I did feel like it was a little cheap for a beloved character to die in such a BS way. But Kirkman did do a great job ripping at those heartstrings in the process.
Flag
Oct 24, 2013
Yep. That was it. Just read the Letter Hack - hilarious. Took the words right out of my mouth.
Flag
Oct 21, 2013
Yay! So glad to have some fellow comic readers! I am completely current on the books, but thinking about re-reading the prison issues soon. So on to the comparisons:
- I have to say I'm glad Tyreese's girlfriend is dead. I was worried that it was going to be his sister. In the books it's his daughter that dies, and that is a catalyst for him turning into a major bad-ass. In the show, he's been a little soft so far, so I'm excited to see him morph into the kind of guy who can clear a whole cell-block of walkers single-handedly with nothing but a hammer!
- So we know there's some crazy sicko in the prison who is feeding walkers, and torching people. With the emphasis on the young girls, Lizzy & Mika, anyone else get the sense that maybe we're going to see something along the lines of what happened to Hershel's daughters in the books?
- Remember how wacked out Carol from the books was? Obviously this Carol is not going to go the same route. But do you think someone else is going to go out like she did? Maybe that's what's gonna happen to Lizzy. She seems to have an unhealthy infatuation with the walkers.
More+
Flag
Oct 21, 2013
I actually had the feeling that maybe Patrick was going to start chopping off heads, but instead he just died of the flu. :(

I think Lizzy might be one to feed herself to the walkers, but I'm not so sure that Mika is completely normal...something about her strikes me funny.

Flag
Oct 21, 2013
TWD comic is one of my all-time favorites, right up there with Sandman, Hellblazer, Swamp Thing, Lucifer, Watchmen, bla-bla-bla.

Anyway, I started picking up the comic about a year or so before the show started because I kept hearing great things about it, I'm a sucker for zombie apocalii, & I just wanted to see what was so great that they wanted to make a TV show about it.

I grabbed about a years worth of issues & honestly, at first, it bored the hell outta me. I cut it alot of slack because I'm a fan of the Image imprint in general, but at some point about halfway through the first 12 issues, I started to realize that the story & characters were starting to really interest me. By the time I finished issue 12, I hopped in my car like a geek on a mission & bought as much as I could afford.

Armed with a big-ass stack, there was even one time in my marathon read that the story made me tear up. That right there proved to me how well done the comic is in spite of its deceptive simplicity.

For the past week or so, I've been slowly re-reading the ones I have & I'm presently on ish 33. when I get to the last of the stack, I know my inner geek is gonna go out again & grab everything else up to current.
More+
Flag
Oct 21, 2013
Just finished reading the two latest issues on Friday. Oh, man!
The comic has been really hot since around #110.
As for the show, I'm glad to see that we'll get to experience a lot more of life in the prison, similar perhaps to Volume 3 and 4 of the comic.
Flag
Oct 21, 2013
I checked some of the stories on wikipedia once, but the comics had nothing to do with the show so I'm sticking to the TV series (zombies are not my thing, I still don't know why I like this so much).
Flag
Oct 21, 2013
I disagree! The comics are the source material for the show. Of course they have a lot to do with the show! I love the fact that the show is going its own directions, and we're not getting just an exact recreation of the books. But I can see that we're still seeing a lot of the highlights and plot points from the books, but they're playing out in new ways.
Flag
Oct 21, 2013
I want you to stop and think for a moment about Andrea and Dale in the TV version.
Flag
Oct 21, 2013
Oh yeah, well since both of them are dead, I'm sure that won't be happening. But maybe it will happen with two other characters. Of course loads of stuff is different between the two, but some of the key points still play out in different ways.

Herschel would be dead by now in the books, but instead he was the one who got Dale's fate of a wooden leg. I really like Herschel's character on the show, and would hate to see him go, but I just keep thinking about him eventually shouting: TAINTED MEAT!!!
Flag
Oct 21, 2013
I don't think they'd be able to do an exact recreation. There has been a lot of things that happened in the comics that they could never get away with on tv
Flag
Oct 21, 2013
Not to mention, the characters arcs are completely different:
  • Shane lived a longer and more complex life than in the comic books,
  • Andrea a shorter and more eventful one,
  • Carl & Carol are completely different persons,
  • Michonne never went through what Maggie did on the show (and neither Maggie exactly what Michonne went through on the comic books),
  • Sophia never even met Maggie,
  • Daryl and Merle are original characters from the TV show,
  • Patrick never happened in the comic books,
  • Tyreese spends more time with his sister on the show, etc.

Flag
Oct 21, 2013
That's easy, Kirkman has said it himself several times. The Walking Dead is not about zombies its about people. The zombies just broke down normal society, the real monsters are the people.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members