We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A The Walking Dead Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on AMC
"You're going to be the last man standing, you are. And you're gonna miss me so bad when I'm gone Daryl Dixon"

Daryl and Beth take over from Rick & Michonne trying to depict the world through very different perspectives: the survivor that just knows its a matter of time before he sees everyone he has ever known die on him, and the dead girl walking, all the more clever perhaps because the character should be dead already (both on the show as well as the source material).

Unlike Michonne, Beth doesn't wield a katana. Unlike Rick, Daryl doesn't even have a son. Unlike Zack, Beth's optimistic view is upseting Daryl. Unlike Maggie, Daryl's brand of tough love is particularly hard on Beth. Going through a country club filled with corpses of people that couldn't let go of their stuff, Daryl and Beth start letting go of theirs.

Tomorrow, he'll be the last man standing. Tomorrow, she'll be the dead girl. Tonight they share her first drink and makeshift his first bonfire. Tonight they are who they are right now, rather than who they were.

poll

41 Comments
Comments (41)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I adore Daryl and Beth's scenes, they have great conversations that have so few words and give nice insight into the characters, but for the love of all that is undead, please don't let this become a romantic ship!
Flag
Beth has worked Daryl to the point that he has opened up and let her in, and really let down his guard. I think its interesting that since that has happened he let down his protective guard too. Now they are separated, and I think someone abducted Beth, and Darly is with the Crude Dudes.
All because of "feelings"....Damn you Beth! haha
Flag
To be fair, Beth did a better job with Daryl this last 2 episodes than Rick did with Carol back on "Indiference".

Bonus points because Daryl is tougher (and Rick knew Carol way better than Beth knew Dixon).
Flag
I've been cheering on Beth ever since her little break down on the farm. People are so hard on her and Carl. Beth is a young lady (in real life the actress is something like 27 or so though) who never got to live much beyond a farm. She wants and needs some form of goal for her life. Doesn't all teens want that at some level? No teen thinks, "well...just gonna wander through life aimlessly". They might do that but that's not what they desire. They think they are going to take on the world at some point.
So sitting in a crappy camp, watching who is suppose to be the "cool survival guy" eating cooked snake is going to be frustrating. I want Beth to continue to grow. Heck, let her discover a signature weapon that works for her. That knife does not count.
In the end, she probably will die off because that's what the show does. But I would love to see her (if the actress would stay) continue to grow more powerful and complex. Nothing would please me more than to see on the final episode, Rick, Carl, Daryl, Michonne and Beth all together.
Flag
I wouldn't say people were hard on Beth: Hershel was just scared that she & Jimmy were active before they lost the farm, other than that he was tender and very proud of her.

Patricia loved her like a daughter, Maggie & Carl were worried sick about her, even Rick used to treat her like family for the brief while Beth and Carl were the only children besides Judith. She's Beth, I would care about what happens to her even if the character wouldn't be with Daryl.
Flag
Oh, sorry...when I said people, I was talking about the fans of the show. My fault, I didn't make it clear enough. Oh yes, you are right that the other survivors love her and care for her. I had thought that her connection to taking care of Judith would have a bit more Rick and Beth interactions, but it never came to be.
Flag
I liked those small Carol-Beth moments though, makes it all the more significant now because they were talking about Daryl.
Flag
I'd really like that both Beth and Daryl continue, I think their relationship is quite amazing, specially after the last episode. They are the only 2 one's that started facing what really happened, and it's basically thanks to Beth, that started pushing Daryl slowly to show his feelings, it was necessary for him to let the guilt go....
If you ask me, I'd really like to see all the group join again, it's killing me seeing everyone sad and thinking all the rest are dead and think they could probably never see each other again, it really makes you think how "dependable" we are these days and how screw we could really be if something like this really happens.... after everything it happen to each of them, they deserve to found each other again and just ... I don't know... cry ? :D
Flag
I think that's what I liked the most about Beth: she still believe her sister was alive, she was convinced they could find Glenn again and she acted like they could all reunite one day.

...all the while knowing she may as well die before Daryl does. For some reason, it was better than the general attitude the others have taken towards their friends and family.
Flag
I have a feeling Beth dies before seeing Maggie alive, how sad. She'll (Maggie) have her Journal with her latest thoughts it will probably contain good bye notes to Maggie and the group, prepare tissues.
Flag
I don't know. For one, Daryl saw Merle again and their odds were even worse than sisters Beth and Maggie.

I'd say never say never with this show.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Is it Rick and Michonne? I would have wanted to see that, but so far is just Carl and Michonne, from where I'm standing...
Flag
I'd say its been Rick and Michonne ever since his face "was losing the battle" against his beard.

What has been missing this season is Carl and Beth; its like the characters chose to forgot he had a crush on her ever since they brought the other children to the prison.
Flag
yep, Carl has been given a new mate, the poor kid - and it seems also Beth! But I still don't see Rick and Michonne. It would be an interesting pair, but so far it looks like Michonne is just adopting Carl. One missing the mother, one missing the kid.
Flag
Glenn annoys me.
Flag
Me too & that's too bad cause remember first season he was KICK ASS Glenn! THE GO TO guy for supply runs, who bravely saved Rick, just cause he could. Then he met Maggie and became whiney, weenie Glenn. I Miss KA Glenn.
Flag
No one is stable in this world. They are only who they are in that moment.
They could be all cute and cuddly one minute...and the next they are capping people and decapitating walkers.

If TWD has shown us anything it is that the strongest don't always survive and the weakest aren't always killed.

T-Dog was physically strong....he died.
Carl was shot through the chest, and is a child....he should be dead, but he isn't.
The Governor has plenty of "strong" people with him...they are dead.
The Governor was strong...and he is dead.

I don't think it comes down to weak or strong....but rather making the right choices. The Governor could have gone on and had a descent life....he made bad choices.

And in this world, anyone could become the wise one or the moral compass. Carl could spout off some stuff to make everyone change their minds.

Flag
I think was "The weak shall inherit the earth", which I also thought it was stupid: Duane didn't kill his mom any more than Morgan could kill his wife. It's just like Daryl & Michonne with the Governor.

Not every child can be like Carl or Lizzie, it just so happen that those that aren't end up like Duane and Sophia.
Flag
As Morgan said, "The weak shall inherit the earth" or "The weak have inherited the earth" --not sure of his exact words without researching it (also from the Bible but I believe the word used there is "The meek shall inherit...").
Flag
Yeah it's Meek, meaning "the gentle".
Flag
I don't think Daryl was upset because the Governor was stronger than Rick, but he had given up looking for him after Merle & Andrea got killed.

Personally, I thought it was stupid: Michonne didn't give up looking and The Governor killed Hershel anyway.

The Governor himself never gave up on Meghan and she got bitten anyway.
Flag
I can't picture Beth as the moral compass after she tried to kill herself. However I can see her as the new Andrea (a character that finds her strenght despite the odds are against her).
Flag
I have to wonder, are they going to portray Beth as the moral compass of the group now, replacing her dad? If she survives. Shouldn't they have her instead dealing with all the loss she suffered just very recently, losing her dad, Maggie (i know she's alive but she doesn't) before putting her in a pastoral mode? I know the show doesn't have a history of having its characters mourn their loved ones (except for Rick for a short wile) but Beth is coming across a little bit uncaring just like all the others. Is Beth going to die, i think saying to Daryl he's going to be the last one standing and he's going to miss her is kinda prophetic, i think the line has a deep meaning.
Flag
I don't think so. Herschel could be the moral compass of the group because of his age, wisdom and experience. Beth has none of that.

But I doubt Beth is going to die any time soon, mostly because she is part of the youth of the show. I think her and Carl are pretty safe for a while.

I doubt Daryl is going to die, simply because, he within the show can do anything because he wasn't a character didn't exist. So more plots can be given to him over the others without violating the universe from which the show came. However, Daryl is going to have to eventually change. His crossbow is way past its string date especially considering how much he has used it. I have to wonder if the scene with him shooting at the squirrel and the bolt breaking isn't foreshadowing of him not having the crossbow for much longer. I personally would like to see him change up in regards to his weapon. It like Rick's Colt Python are unrealistic to keep finding ammo and keep going.
Flag
I thought the same thing about the crossbow. It's seen over a year and a half of almost constant use. It needs some maintenance at least. As the others run out of ammo, he is also going to lose the use of his bow.
Flag
I think Hersehl was the moral compass of the group because he could see both sides: Shane's and Otis's, The Governor's and Rick's, Carol's and Tyreese's and so on.

I don't remember any other character that has been able to do that, not even Dale.
Flag
Totally agree!
Flag
Sort of agree but did Hershel find out about Shane killing Otis or did he just figure it out? I cannot remember?
Flag
Dale figured it out, Hershel was told to.

...which is more than what poor Otis's wife got (RIP Patricia).
Flag
I wondered that about the crossbow too when the arrow broke. Besides, that thing is cumbersome to carry around, but it's hard to imagine Daryl w/o the crossbow.

I think Carl is the only one with safe passage at this point unless Chandler Riggs decides to quit and go to college or something. He's not that old yet, but in a couple of years he probably will be. Then do they kill him off or find a replacement actor? Not sure the latter would work.
Flag
I think they are setting us up to really feel it when Darl dies saving Beth. Either dies or is set up with impossible odds as a season finale cliffhanger. I really hope they dont kill him off and if the actor is busy then they could have him disappear for awhile and come back.
Flag
I think they are actually doing something while the characters are still alive: this isn't Andrea talking about Amy after she died, nor Rick's issues with Lori through imaginary phone calls or Tyreese demanding vengance after Karen is gone.

Beth and Daryl are dealing with their loss while they are still alive, Rick is actually facing his issues with Carol (even if he isn't facing Carol per se), Tyreese embraces three girls and a woman he may have to avenge in the long run, etc.
Flag
I have to wonder, are they going to portray Beth as the moral compass of the group now, replacing her dad?

Those were my thoughts watching the episode last night. She's not as tough physically as Maggie, and she was always saying "Daddy says we all have jobs to do." She would be the natural replacement for Hershel except that she lacks the wisdom that age and experience produce. But someone has to take his place in the group, and who else would that be if the group does reunite?

I also wondered if that line was prophetic. Are they focusing on her character mainly because they haven't done much with her up to this point and it's past time, or are they focusing on her as they did Hershel because her time is limited? On the other hand, could there be an ironice twist? Perhaps Daryl will not be the last one standing. Would TWD dare kill him off this year?
Flag
I have a feeling Daryl is not going to make it to S5. I have two theories, one they kill off the character or two the show ends on a cliffhanger and we are left to believe he's dead only to bring him back in S6 or mid season 5. Either way i have a strong feeling he's not going to be part of S5. Here is why, Norman Reedus has a huge movie deal with Robert Kirkman, he's going to be the main actor and executive producer of the new show. Filming for both TWD and the movie is scheduled for this Spring, i just can't see Norman filming for both shows. Not to mention Robert Kirkman's interview in February stating that AMC is scared for what is coming up, what could scare AMC other than Daryl's death? (Can i say riot?) Or it could also be the death of baby Judith which may not go well with fans if they saved her only to off her later. I guess we'll have to wait n see.
Flag
I think they could balance Reedus' work schedule between the movie and the show, especially if they continue to follow small groups on TWD. If he only appears in a couple of eps for the first half of S5, then they could make it work.

Then again, Kirkman's response to "If Daryl dies, we riot," was that no one is safe on TWD and that threat may be the fuel that really does end Daryl. He's not going to let fans write the story for him.

Of course, as you stated, that could be the big scare. How many viewers would they lose if Daryl dies? I love Daryl but would not stop watching because he died, but that's just me.

Perhaps he could disappear (cliffhanger as you mentioned) and not show up again until back half of S5.

I do not read the comics but understand that some of the storylines in them would be risque for AMC. If they follow through with one of them (Negan, cannibals), that could be a concern for AMC.
Flag
I think the cliffhanger is more likely. If they go with it, I think they're going to monitor the ratings if it's still doing well they could let him stay dead and if it's declined, they could bring him back. Personally i don't think his death would affect the ratings fans know that no one is safe on that show, their favorite could go at any given moment.

I have stopped watching when Shane died, i've missed 3 episodes and i came back when they brought the Governor on. I'll continue watching no matter who dies, i now watch for the story lines not for the characters.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members