A The Walking Dead Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on AMC
Its no secret The Walking Dead works where other of its genre don't. Oddly enough, the show doesn't rely on hot vampires (The Originals), love triangles (The Vampire Diaries) or almost any other resource available (Dracula, Grimm, Teen Wolf, etc.) to win its audience yet, oddly enough, it doesn't rely on great writing either.

So, what is the secret? The Walking Dead does something TV just doesn't do anymore: to engage its audience.

The Walking Dead gives its audience a piece of info that Carl lacks and it has us - or, at least me - yelling at our screens: "Judith is still alive!!!". It gives Glenn a scientist and it has us yelling at those home invaders: "There is a cure! Stop this madness!!!". It gives us Rick trying to survive them and it has me, despite all the anger I feel towards him, yelling at my screen: "Stay alive! Carol is with Tyreese!!!"

This show makes me complicit in the characters's lives, forcing me to engage as it wins momentum, not only because of the action sequences, but because of what I know that these characters don't and what I'd wish to tell them, if only I could.

poll

Comments (38)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I there are enough votes to admit the most tantalizing piece of info for me is a tie between: "Eugene has a cure" and "Carol is with Tyreese".

I'd wish to see how Rick would react when faced with any of these.
Flag
Staff
Man, I wanted to yell JUDITH IS ALIVE so many times this episode!
Flag
That must be the single most frustrating piece of information ever.

The audience can't cheer up Carl with it, can't help Michonne after the pink room, can't even yell Rick about it.
Flag
Since the examples given were strictly from the 2nd half of this season, I'm going with "other". Other encapsulates a few things...writing, direction, acting and overall theme/purpose.

'After' and 'Claimed', in my books, are two of the best episodes TWD have ever produced. Concise and focused on relaying a point about a larger theme and doing so without the use of a sledge hammer. Stories were told, history was conveyed, characters grew and learned and walked out of the final credits smarter and more aware than when they walked in.

By Walking Dead standards, these episodes are the missing link between the dumbed down Neanderthal show it is most of the time and the post apocalyptic character study is shows glimpses it could be.

If only it followed the same template with 'Inmates'...but that was the same craptacular mess TWD so often puts out. But, being bookended by two of it's best offerings, I'm willing to accept the nuggets of information given and pretend like that episode didn't happen.
Flag
To me, it onlymakes me wonder how the other character must feel:

• Does Tyreese miss Sasha as much as Carl does Judith?
  • Does Carol believe Rick and Carl are dead the same way as Daryl does?
  • Are Bob & Sasha just as convinced Glenn is dead as Abraham & Tara are that Maggie is?
  • etc.
Flag
I think your questions further "prove" my thinking that limiting the number of characters makes for better episodes. If 'After' and 'Claimed' are an indicator of what can be done with a limited cast and near blank canvas...then who knows, maybe Tyreese and the girls as well as Bob and Sasha can actually become interesting if given the same opportunity to grow.

In reality, I already know I'm not going to like the why Carol came back and the blowup/reconciliation with Tyreese...well, there had better be a twist because it's way too obvious. I have little interest in either Bob or Sasha since they're nothing characters to this point. Mostly, I feel sorry for Maggie since she's getting the short end of the stick being stuck with these moobs.

I mentioned in another comment, when Lizzie is the most interesting character...there's a problem.
Flag
I think Lizzie is interesting to me because she's as messed up as Daryl must have been growing up.

That and the fact she could die just like any other child on this show. RIP Luke and Molly.
Flag
I think the majority of the actors...the older actors, like Andrew Lincoln, do a great job. I think the writing is exactly what is needed for this story and for this genre.

What adds greatly to the show is its adaption from a comic book. People are loving comic books right now...at least the tv shows the movies based on them. The show isn't all wardrobe and flashy effects.

The writing of the story keeps us entertained and keeps us coming back for more every week, and keeps us re-watching the past seasons on DVD and when they run marathons.

Why kid ourselves? The writing is good. The proof of the quality of the writing is when we are so passionate about the story that we are yelling at the TV yelling at the characters....and we get shocked when something shocking happens.

And....The things I usually yell at the TV are "Oh Sh**!" or..."Damn! Get out of there!"
Flag
Personally, I rewatched every single scene betweebn Rick & Carol scene after he banished her. And now I'm doing the same with Magggie & Glenn.

(I even did it when after Merle and The Governor died).

Flag
You're not the only one who yells at the TV when watching Walking Dead.No other series since Deep Space Nine,has grabbed my attention and got me emotional invested in the story and characters and what happens to them.Does the show have top notch writing or acting,..no,but yet I'm hooked.Is it because I've read the comic..no,I'd still be hooked if I didn't read the comic.It grabs me because the characters are real everyday people we see in our lives in a horrific life and death situation filled with suspense,intensity,drama and sorrow.This show pulls on our heart strings and plays with our emotions,sometimes like a rollercoaster.It has become an addiction.
This is a series I'll continue to re-watch over the years(I buy every season on DVD) and I will still be emotional invested.
Flag
There are several times I have to rewatch older episodes just because of the way so and so relate by now.

...or because I miss so and so (like Merle, T-Dog and Hershel).
Flag
I cannot quite put my finger on it, but this show has drawn me in more than any other TV show ever except for "Lost." Granted, I do not watch the HBO shows, etc. that everyone raves about. I would like to see GOT and some of the others one of these days but right now I am not that motivated to find a way to watch them since I do not subscribe to the premium channels.

Anyway, back to the subject, I told this story to someone else last week so do not mean to repeat if anyone has read my older posts, but I just started watching TWD in season 3 based on my sister's insistence that I should watch this show. I grew interested enough during S3 that I borrowed my sister's DVDs of S1 and S2 when I went out of town to visit her. I watched them all the way through about 3 times and was totally invested in this series.

I can agree with many of the complainers that TWD does not have the finest dialogue or the smoothest execution of storylines. However, that has not interfered with my current obsession with this show. I love it. I think it is just so different from anything else that's ever been on TV.

Ionee made a good point that the characters are like everyday people, and I think that could be part of the appeal as well. Someone posted on this forum that he/she did not feel connected enough to care about the characters. It is the opposite for me. I feel like I know them, and I definitely care about them.
More +
Flag
The dialogue isn't unbelievably "wordy", Hershel and Milton aside the characters aren't particularly educated and those that are like Dr. Jenner and Eugene keep silent around them.

It adds to an atmosphere, a mystique if you will that completely sells this random sense of danger I want to warn the characters about.
Flag
I enjoyed this episode. The dead family in the pink room gave me the creeps - just the ability of someone to murder their family and then off themselves is beyond me.
There were some disappointing parts as well.....'this guy needs to get to Washington..he knows how the virus started' vs 'I want Maggie' - wtf?. What a total load of b/s.
One thing this show has taught me though...if I'm ever in a zombie apocalypse....I need to get me a katana! (although I've always wondered how a katana, as sharp as it is, can slice a skull like butter without getting stuck).
Flag
It was the set up what really got me, whoever in that family that did it wanted them to be together in the warmest room of the house and safe from any zombie.

I want to believe it was the artist because of the painting and because she would have seen them one last time from that chair she was sitting.
Flag
It probably was the artist because there were so many paintings in that house. Did you notice the one of rabbits? Ironic since we have seen what Lizzie does with rabbits, and there was that innocent painting of cute little bunnies on the wall, showing how the world has changed into anything but cute an innocent.
Flag
I assumed it was the artist because of the self destructing painting (I assumed was of herself).

It was the last one she ever painted, so her family must have been the last testament she could've made: safe, slept, together. Forever.
Flag
I don't think the katana can slice a skull but correct me if I am wrong. I took the class based on TWD through UC-Irvine a few months ago. If I remember correctly, some of the reading material we had stated that decapitation is not that simple with a weapon because of the spine. Likewise, we discussed shooting bullets from certain distances and how some of those scenes in TWD are not realistic. That's fine with me because it's a fun, exciting TV show that I do not expect to be realistic, but it was interesting to learn some of that practical information.
Flag
Its not thatexpect a zombie apocalypse to be realistis, but its nice to see someone has enough sense to figure out a katana or a knife never run out of bullets-arrows.
Flag
Exactly! They would be my weapons of choice. Besides, I hate guns.
Flag
I wouldn't even know how to begin to use a katana, but I bet I could use a knife for walkers as easily as I could for cooking.
Flag
This is where reading the comics spoils things. (cough Eugene cough) .They don't always follow them though.
Flag
Tell me about it:
  • Maggie and Glenn are apart
  • Sophia is dead
  • Tyreese is alive
  • Carol is most certainly not his lover
  • Neither is Michonne
  • Lizzie, Tara and Daryl exist
  • Judith is still alive
And that's only at the top of my head, there's no way to tell where these characters are going and I'm loving every minute of it!
Flag
And then there's Shane lol.
Flag
I still feel the urge to tell any new character that Judith may be Shane's baby (I can't help myslef, its the natureof gossipp).
Flag
Don't get me wrong: Some of them are really good-looking guys. The thing is that being good looking is not all there is to Rick Grimes, a lovely face is not all there is to Carol, or great hair all there is to Glenn

No matter how hot, Daryl, Maggie or The Governor are they aren't here to sex up the storyline, regardless whether or not the characters do have sex. The Walking Dead is about substance rather than looks to me.
Flag
I agree with you that the appearance of the actors/characters do not distract from the storyline, thus giving the story more opportunity to shine.
Flag
What I like the most is how plausible whole set up is: their hair is just dirty and sweaty as people running without hair-conditioner would have their hair, their clothes are outdated or raggedy just like real people's clothes would be after running for awhile.

The guys actually look like they aren't grooming themselves, like growing a beard is the men's only option by now.
Flag
Um, other resource material? There are like twenty volumes of a graphic novel that the show, characters and general storyline that the show is based on.
Flag
There are several young adult novels for The Vampire Diaries: it didn't help its ratings one bit.

Several graphic novels wouldn't make a different unless the show would engage me on the characters's lives by making me complicit in the info.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    500 Questions
    NEW
    ABC