A The Walking Dead Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on AMC
We've come to the end of another fantastic season of The Walking Dead, and I think the journey was GREAT! When Scott Gimple said in the premiere of Talking Dead that we were going to get some much needed character development, he meant it. With the Governors side-story and the episodes following the winter hiatus, I think the creative team delivered. In my opinion, this season didn't have a single throw away episode - a problem I feel every other season did have. It was an informative and tense season that kept me riveted.

The finale, however, gave me mixed feelings. As much as I acknowledge the great moments we were treated to in this cliffhanger of a send off, I did feel cheated more than once.

Michonne seemed to put the punctuation mark on her incomplete history, but the story felt lifeless. Why get the flashback/hallucination of her past as a setup, yet never show it to us? The comics have played around her story as well and with the series only compounding that tension, I felt this was a scene we should have seen. By telling it the way she did, it felt like television broadcasting was once again skirting the powerful emotional response that would walk hand-in-hand with the inevitable infanticide that must have been rampant when the world turned to hell. This episode really should have opened with a flashback to her final day in the refugee camp instead of the awkward opening flashback-then-forward of Rick sitting by the truck, shivering. Then we flash... back(?) to show how Rick got to his bloody state... then... we move on. Huh? Why? Did Quentin Tarantino guest direct this episode? Pointless. Michonne's opening would have carried more gravitas.

While we were treated to the peaks of Rick taking a bite out of crime - in no way gratuitous, in my opinion, because what parent would not literally fight tooth (teeth!) and claw to protect his/her child(?) - we were unfortunately given nothing that was truly unexpected in this episode.

We all knew Terminus was a bad idea. We all knew there would be a cliffhanger that leaves our heroes in danger. We all knew Carol, Tyreese and Lil Asskicker were to be last in line to arrive (last to arrive, survive, it seems). And the cannibalism story arc has been on the waiting list for every reader of the comics so much that it's flooded the message boards, tweets and Tumblr feeds to the point of common knowledge. What I wanted was the ending that said "Oh.. my.. God!" instead of "Yep. We were right." And for those of us who still don't think that the Termites (thanks Andy!) are confirmed cannibals, I can understand your decision to doubt. I, myself, do wish we were given a concrete "Soylent Green is people!" scene, but I feel like the message was clear:
We get rick teaching Carl how to snare live food, and the parallel of that when our heroes follow their own game trail into Terminus. Starting with "The more people become part of us, we get stronger" (thanks Alex!), we continue through the climax of the third act as our group is quite literally HERDED (without injury - cant let someone get infected and ruin the meat) like cattle into their own shoot (path A - as noted on every available doorway to their pen - A), passing a stripped human bone yard and storage containers full of people shouting for help. If no one else noticed, Daryl did. "What the hell?".

I guess the only real surprise was that none of our cast members bit it (Get it? No one bit into the BBQ! And no one died! get it?) this year. That was something I was sure would be happening. Though, some would argue that poor lil Beth Greene was roasting on the barby, we're clearly going to have to wait for October to give us the official yay or nay to that one.

And my final point is on the final line delivered by Rick. Can we really live in an age where the guts and gore of regular violence, death and depravity are perfectly acceptable, but the simple use of an F-bomb is too frightening for network execs to get behind? Hell, we've had implied rape, nudity and sex scenes, thanks to Glenn and Maggie! But Rick couldn't deliver that line the way we all know he would have? That was too much of a cop-out, Gimple. Just say the line. Your audience would go to bat for you.

Overall, I think it was a solid penultimate episode, but a little lacking as a finale. No worries, though, because even with this slight hiccup, I still consider The Walking Dead to be one of the best shows on television.

So what did you think?
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    The Amazing Race 25 All or Nothing
    NEW
    CBS
  •  
    Caught on Camera With Nick Cannon Viral
    NEW
    NBC
  • 9:00 pm