A The Walking Dead Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on AMC
I love The Walking Dead, it is one of my favorite shows alongside Doctor Who, Stargate (all 3) and Game of Thrones. That being said I am extremely disappointed in this half of the season. I cannot believe I am saying this but I feel like Revolution has more of a direction than this half of TWD season 4.

With Revolution this season we know what the ultimate goal is for the cast members. Myles and Team Always Get Captured are out to stop the patriots, Neville want's to free his wife, and Aaron is doing whatever is going on with the God/Nanites. There is a clear purpose to these characters and yes, Revolution has its flaws, but the journey these characters are taking in this intriguing universe is enough to keep me tuning in despite those major flaws.

I feel like The Walking Dead has lost it's way and wont find it until season 5. It doesn't seem like there is a point to the show anymore. Yes, I know everyone is going to meet up at The Tower or Trenzalore ... I mean Terminus but the journey getting there is extremely lackluster. To me it feels like the show has lost its charm.

Yes I know that the Glen section of this half seasons storyline introduced Eugene the guy who supposedly knows what caused the Walkers but frankly it's not enough. That little bit of direction the show introduced does not matter when everyone else is just finding food, talking about their lives before the apocalypse or wandering the woods and that story just gets dropped for an episode or two.

Comparing Revolution and The Walking Dead may seem like an insane idea but really I am more interested in finding out of Aaron lets the Nanites die than I am interested watching the journey for the separated survivors getting to terminus. I would love the journey if it wasn't just random walking through woods. Even when we get an episode of Revolution where we just see our characters wandering around there is a ultimately a goal you know they are trying to accomplish, The Walking Dead... it's just resorting to the same old, same old "find food, talk about the past, kill zombies."

The Walking Dead used to be the only show that could make me put down my phone, tell everyone to shutup and not make a sound and watch it straight through without any distractions. Now most of the time I find myself so disinterested with what is going on I have to rewind after I find myself checking my emails.

Season 4 started off amazing, I loved the direction they were going with the flu/virus thing and then all of a sudden the governor came back hijacking that compelling story and now we are being treated to something similar to the first part of Once Upon a Time's 3rd season. Im all for surviving and character development but if all we are going to get is 9 episodes with the main characters running around in the same woods just talking and not accomplishing anything....Im going to loose interest.

Again, I LOVE this show but I am just not feeling the excitement for it each week anymore and I don't think I will until we get back to exploring the ruins of the world. When was the last time we seen something other than the woods, a rundown street or a small building with a lot of walkers in it. Kirkman promised us a bigger world to explore but all we've gotten thus far is a golf club, the woods and a street....not exactly what the show once was. Even revolution occasionally shows us ruined cities. I miss that aspect about The Walking Dead.

I know this is a poorly written post but it was mostly me venting my frustrations about the show.
Comments (25)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Well, you can't please everyone. First people are complaining about underdeveloped characters where they don't care who lives or dies, now they complain about an entire series of episodes focused on character development. I understand the need for a happy medium, but it can't all be action action action!!! I've been reading the comics for a long time and even then there are the down times. The character development times. The feel of the show right now is very much like the tone of the comics at that time in the story. The prison assault left every remaining survivor scattered, feeling lost and alone, and questioning their decisions. It was a great time in the comics because you didn't have an idea where it was all going. Many of the issues of the comic following the governor's attack felt aimless, because that was how they were written to be. The show is trying to capture that feeling of "now what do we do?" because now there isn't just walkers out there. There is the threat of disease with no hospital access. There are megalomaniacal wannabe leaders with access to tanks. There are unhinged and sociopathic preteens who can't cope with the new world around them. There are redneck jerks free of morality, scooping up poor Daryl as if they were a band of drunken frat boys on a pledge week power trip, and so on. The show seems without direction because it's where the story is supposed to be at this point, and to that I say bravo. Keep us guessing. The feeling of unease keeps me from falling into a sense of security with this show, and in the world of TWD, security can lead to complacency, which leads to you being meat.
More+
Flag
I felt that TWD lost it's way at the beginning of season 4. The only interesting parts came when the Governer returned, but instead of exploring the new characters and playing things out with the gang at the prison, the entire thing wrapped up too soon.

Still, that first episode when the Governer returned captured my attention, truly interesting the entire way through.

Since everyone has scattered it seems the writers are just filling time with meaningless wandering. I thought the new guys (who want to save the world) was interesting and going to the 'haven' looked promising, but instead of taking us there we have this delay delay delay.

I suspect the problem is the new showrunner, or have there also been other changes??? Different writers??? Becuase this isn't even close to the Walking Dead which I too, used to watch breathlessly, waiting eagerly for each new episode.

Flag
Yikes, lots of griping going on...but I have to say I really enjoyed 'Still' and finally seeing Beth have a persoality. Daryl is not exactly the type I generally find sexy, but his vulnerability is just slaying me, *sigh*. I love the end, that he could finally put to rest who he was, and I'm looking forward to next week with a lighter heart for my friends on TWD.
Flag
Some people like fast food and some prefer a sit down dinner.
I am really enjoying The Walking Dead.
I am not in a hurry.

Flag
I'm loving the new season, so intimate and not a tank in sight.
Flag
I'm loving Carol and Rick's dynamic this season: I've never been so mad and so intrigued by the same storyline!
Flag
I can probably be put into the category of Walking Dead fan that is your polar opposite.

I found much of the first half of the season absurd. So laughably bad at point that yes, a comparison to Revolution was completely fair. Ridiculous plot points, what little character development was done off screen and relayed to the viewers in an "Oh, by the way..." fashion, off the chart suspension of disbelief levels and more lazy writing relying on cheats and the audience being to stupid to notice or care. These same problems have plagued TWD since the start of season 2, but they've become so frequent that the ridiculous nature of the first half of this season was all but expected.

Since returning from the break, TWD is leaps and bounds better than it was. Three of four episodes that are in the same conversation as Clear when it comes quality. Characters are being explored and growing and being self aware. Their flaws are human and understandable. The writing has been tight and precise. The goals for every episode, make the survivors better than they were at the start, has been fantastic.

The lack of character development from s2e02 up to s4e08 has been borderline unforgivable. It's the reason why the list of "you'd better not kill _____" is so short...nobody cares. Develop characters and the viewer becomes invested. Investment leads to compelling story lines.

If TWD keeps this current format and doesn't have our survivors get back together until the season finale at The Terminus, it'll be the best thing it's ever done and actually lay a solid foundation for the future for the first time since the season 1 finale.
More+
Flag
It's almost like a rerun after every season finale.. The same wanderings of season 1.. they know nothing.. the same walks in the woods.. the same deep development of characters.. but this mid-season they decide to do it in couples.. 1 episode per couple.. So boring... well.. at least Daryl is still alive!. :)
Flag
I feel like more people should definitely be questioning The Walking Dead overall, so this article immediately got my attention.
Now, I only saw the first season of Revolution and I thought it was a terrible show. So I didn't tune in for Season 2. If you had compared The Walking Dead to Revolution last year - I would have called this article blasphemy. Although I still think that a Revolution is an awful show, comparing it to TWD now doesn't seem too far off now. So, I'll say that the comparison is definitely fitting and that you might actually have a point. I can't say I agree because I haven't seen S2 of Revolution but TWD is so bad right now that I completely *get* your comparison and the point of the article. And from what I've read of your assessment of Revolution, it does sound like it has more direction then The Walking Dead.
The only thing that TWD has over Revolution is that it's on AMC and the production values are better but as far as "story" it's probably down there (maybe even slightly below) with Revolution.
Flag
Season 1 of Revolution was'nt that great but Season 2 is a lot better if you are considering catching up.
Flag
I don't know what you guys are expecting. Their home for the past year or so got blown up and the survivors scattered in different directions trying to avoid the hostile humans and zombies overrunning what they had considered a haven.
I think what the show is doing is a great opportunity to focus on individual characters as they're tested outside the safety of the prison. Beyond that though, how incredibly unrealistic would it be for them to magically join back within an episode or two after such a great upheaval? Incredibly so.
It's not like everything went to hell, and then they had time to sit down and consider their options over a cup of tea. They lost their home base, they have no way to communicate with the others, and there's a constant threat of zombies out there.
I, for one, appreciate what they're doing. Remember that episode earlier in the season where Tim awarded Tyrese the episode MVP award for standing like a giant oaf and bashing in the skull of one zombie at a time as he was getting surrounded, only to show up a few minutes later completely unscathed? That was bullshit. If these characters are going to survive and make it the Alexandria Safe Zone or wherever their next stop happens to be, they need to show *how* they made it there instead of lazily cutting away and then showing them safe and sound when undoubtedly should have been killed or at very least bitten once.
I gave up on Revolution after 5 episodes, and even though I've heard good things about season 2, I just cannot bring myself to give that show another chance. So maybe it's doing well. But if it's not, shame on y'all for comparing it to TWD.

More+
Flag
You know about the Alexandria safe zone so I assume you read the comic. Tyreese took out the entire prison gymnasium of walkers with just a claw hammer and escaped unscathed in the books. Face it. Tyreese has always been a badass.
Flag
I completely agree here. What can you expect? Now also bare in mind in the earlier seasons they were still getting acclimated to the zombie life. Now they have become hardened in the sense they are plain and simply used to it. But it has also worn down their hope and endurance, they've all got to be thinking "how much longer can we keep fighting and survive?" I liked this episode very much. I am confident the group will find each other again.
Flag
I've been underwhelmed this season. The show is losing its edge. This season feels very jagged in terms of story telling too many episodes focusing on a handful of characters most of whom i couldn't care less about. This micro group cast is a terrible idea. An entire episode dedicated to two or three characters at a time is a waste put that with bad soap-ish writing we've been having this season makes it even worse.

AMC cares more about fulling their pockets than the long term survival of the show, the less characters appearing in an episode less money they'll have to pay since actors are paid per episode made. The ratings keep dropping since the mid season started and i can't see how they're going to stop it unless the writing changes drastically but i won't hold my breath. No wonder they fired Darabont he wouldn't put up with AMC's cheapness.

I chose to view the Oscars last night and dvred TWD, i woke up very early this morning before heading to work because i couldn't wait to watch. Oh boy what a letdown! The episode was a total dismal.
Flag
I totally agree. There is really no excuse for the uninspired writing/direction. I have to say that I see different levels of acting and different amounts of charisma amoung the characters.
Flag
I feel this lacks a poll
Poll

Flag
The problem with this half of the season is that they have chosen to focus on the characters and their journey whilst separated from each other. To appreciate this you have to be heavily invested in said characters or an episode such as yesterday's just ends up being boring. The most interesting and seemingly only plot, about the cause of the Zombie's, has been sidelined to a sub-plot. A better balance would be this a main thread, with the characters and their whereabouts as sub-plots, visiting each group every episode to speed up the story arc. Alas, we'll have to endure this until the story moves on.
Flag
I somewhat agree. I know a lot of people who have stopped watching this season because it's boring and I still watch just because I know how much potential it has so I stick around. But I was also more interested in Revolution this week as well, it has definitely improved this season. In terms of TWD I hope they all get reunited sooner rather than later.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members