A The Walking Dead Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on AMC
It's easy to forget there were female characters other than Rick's wife. For a long time, his entire world reduced to Lori Grimes and, if it weren't because of what happened to Sophia, we might not even noticed Carol existed. So, as weird as it may seem to watch Rick cry out for Carol, the trailer fits two characters who've known each other since they were regular spouses raising their respective children.

Half-sisters Maggie and Beth don't have many opportunities to share screen time. Having lost her mother at the barn, the youngest one spends more time with fellow motherless Carl & Judith, and the older one with her boyfriend Glenn. But they worried sick they few times they have been separated from one another, and love their father as much as he loves them.

Tyreese's sister survived the zombie apocalypse with her moral compass intact, she has never been afraid to say what was what: to Rick, to the Governor, to her own brother at times. She had more in common with Karen than Andrea by the season finale, but that didn't stop her from feeling bad when the lawyer died.

Andrea went through a lot what with Amy, Dale, Haley, Shane or Milton, on top of her own demise, but her friendship to Michonne wasn't necessarily bad. A strong character in her own right, Michonne quickly bonded with her and, later on, to the community Andrea left behind. Made me believe they could still be friends today if it weren't because one of them died.

poll

Comments (10)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I don't think Andrea was an alpha female. She was constantly looking to attach herself to a man, and worse, the most wholly inappropriate of choices for male companionship she could manage to find. When Michonne tried to clue her in to the horror show that was The Governor, she pissed all over their friendship and left Michonne to the wolves for the illusion of comfort and security. Those aren't the traits of an alpha female, they're the traits of a weak woman.

Michonne is an alpha female. She is more than a survivor, she can be independent but still be an asset to the group, she's smart, intuitive and has real courage, and she doesn't need to go looking for anyone's approval or acceptance.
Flag
Then again, being an alpha type doesn't guarantee the best choice of mate. Lori wasn't any better than the Governor, and that doesn't make Rick - or Shane - less of an alpha male.
Flag
Michonne and Andrea has a good contrast of characters and it works. They successfully made us care for them before they broke our hearts with that farewell in the room.
Flag
It looked like a solid friendship despite the characters had only a few key scenes to establish it.

Where Carol and Lori had seasons to earn their dynamic, all they had to do was show what kind of loner was Michonne to understand how important it was for her to care about a strager like Andrea.
Flag
Staff
Andrea and Michonne, would have liked the series to explore their relationship more when they were the only ones there to watch each other's backs.
Flag
One of my favorite Beth/Maggie moments came early in Season 3 (episode 1, in fact):

The show is at its best when it tenders the horror with hope.
Flag
I like that Beth and Maggie are not unrealistically clingy: they know the same songs and remember the same people, but they have different opinions too. Not to mention, they approach to things in a different way.

They know how lucky they are to still have a family, but they don't sacrifice their individuality because of it nor they punish one another for wanting to pursue their own path in life.
Flag
Michone + samurai sword is my favorite dynamic :)

Also excited to see more of Sasha (Tyreese's sister) this season. Another strong female character who should be fun to watch.
Flag
i love carol and i wish she`d get more screentime, especially with daryl!
Flag
I'd say Carol goes to show it's not a sprint, it's a marathon.

In a zombie apocalypse, characters are bound to lose the person they care about the most at one point or another. And Carol survived the loss of her daughter, her best friend and her spouse in a way not even the Governor could.

I like how the friendship with Rick seems like an extension of her friendship with Lori, the connection to Beth and Judith an extension of the bond she had with her daughter and Daryl an extension of everything else.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members