A The Walking Dead Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on AMC
Season 4 ended with a slight bit of censorship due to language.
An uncensored version has popped up on the internet -

poll

38 Comments
Comments (38)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
i like this version better,makes rick more badass than he already is
Flag
Without a little more information present, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. The line could have been changed for other reasons besides censorship. Like, the whole entire point of the scene is to show that Rick is being cool and collected and trying not to make anyone else panic. Dropping an F bomb kind of shows the opposite of that. I dunno, from a writing perspective it just seems odd to suddenly start having your cast from season 1 dropping F bombs when they haven't for the last 4 seasons in situations where that language would be more than appropriate. Hell, the line could have even been improvised or just one take where they wanted to try something different and decided it just didn't work.

The other reason I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt is look at what they get away with. Other commenters have already pointed out numerous cases of graphic violence that have aired with apparently no problem. It seems odd that this is where AMC would draw their line in the sand. "Yeah, you can have your town filled with cannibals that capture the group, but don't you dare think about using any swears."

The only other possible thing I could think of is the writers slipped it in on purpose to use as a bargaining chip. Sometimes when shows/movies have specific scenes/lines/etc. they know are going to draw issues, they purposefully insert other scenes/lines/etc. they know will raise red flags. Then when they're talking with networks about what can/can't air they negotiate by removing the purposefully inserted stuff in order to keep what they wanted in the first place. Maybe they did that with the random F bomb?

More+
Flag
it is somewhat jarring that when the sh*t hits the fan everyone watches their mouth. not saying they need to throw "F" bombvs out every 2 seconds but when it gets really serious, it'd be nice if the language reflects it instead of them sticking to mouseketeer language. watched the finale, was somewhat disappointed the changed the language to "screwing" as opposed to the original "F" bomb in the comic. (yes, the COMIC had the Swear words, the cable channel went PG.. go figure) it was a pivotal line because it was Rick's basic declaration of war. softening it up really hurt the scene.
Flag
The show's ratings won't suffer if there's no swearing. People won't stop watching because there are no f-bombs. I'm satisfied with them just saying shit. The violence speaks for itself.
Flag
It makes ABSOLUTELY no sense for AMC to censor "fucking." We saw kids get killed, people get their faces eaten by zombies.. This show's not for kids! So a few swear words really shouldn't be censored. Hell if this was the Apocalypse, no one would care that you swear like a sailor!
Flag
I saw a TBS version of "Tango and Cash" once, and instead of Stallone saying "Rambo is a pussy" he says "Rambo is a primitive". I shit you not...it completely flipped the switch on that whole movie. I realize that profanity is the refuge of the poorly educated, but sometimes it's just appropriate. And I totally agree with the gore stuff people have been saying. If they can show a person being eviscerated, a few F-bombs should make no difference. It's going to completely kill this show if they bring in Negan and he starts spouting off a soliloquy about how butterflies make him feel giddy as a school girl. That man HAS to be allowed to swear, or the rating are going to drop through the floor. You might as well kill off Daryl if Negan doesn't get to swear.
Flag
It was always my understanding that networks like fx and amc limit what they are willing to show, such as language or nudity, because of the advertisers they have to count on for revenue. They're cable networks and are not limited to the same regulations as big networks. They are channels you have to pay for and are not available over-the-air like the broadcast networks. It definitely makes a better impact in the uncensored version though.
Flag
Yes, huge fucking difference. If AMC doesn't have the balls to air it unedited then at least bleep it instead of swapping out Fucking with Screwing. I'd like to see AMC air it uncut and dare the FCC to fine um. I bet the fans would gladly chip in to pay any fine.
Flag
Oh, HELL yes. The show can let us watch people disemboweled, little girls shot (and shooting live people), etc., but they have to watch their LANGUAGE?! Come on...
Flag
But I always thought that only premium cable network shows could swear? So are basic cable shows like FX and AMC also able to swear and show nudity but just choose not to?
Flag
There's nudity in The Americans, but for some reason not in any of the other shows on FX or AMC. I don't recall hearing a lot of cursing on any show on AMC or FX, but there was the occasional "fuck" on Breaking Bad. For example, when Walter quit his job, he said "Fuck you Bogdan. Fuck you and your eyebrows".

USA is even weirder, since they specifically allow the word "shit", but nothing else.
Flag
Didn't we see Andrea (TWD) dressed-up in Eve's apparel? LOL
Flag
Syfy is also quite weird. They've just recently started showing naked butts, but no breasts or nipples haha. It's so strange, in an episode of Dominion there was even an ass slap.

And they've never done something like that before, not that I can remember of their past shows anyways. It's like this year with Defiance and Dominion they just started thinking "hey maybe we should start showing some nudity to spice things up a bit?"
Flag
&It;'s like this year with Defiance and Dominion they just started
&thinking; "hey maybe we should start showing some nudity to
&spice; things up a bit?"

Maybe they wanted to wait until Saul Rubinek was off the air?
Flag
If you're amused by that kind of weird, then Discovery is the channel for you. They have a show called "Naked and afraid", where they leave a naked man and a naked woman for 21 days in some place where it's impossible to stay alive for much longer than that. Boobs and genitals are completely blurred, but you get to see their naked asses all the time.
Flag
Sons of Anarchy is on FX
Flag
Legally, yes.
Flag
Havent seen the finale yet, (saving it for later), but how was it censored? like a bleep?
Flag
A bleep would have been better than swapping out words.
Flag
They used screwing instead of f*cking
Flag
I agree, it shouldn't have been censored. The comment below about Breaking Bad is valid. I'm not sure how the "rules" work, but I know there are a limited number of f-bombs that can be dropped on a cable show like AMC in the 9 PM time frame but this would've been worth one of them. Along this vein, as a comic reader I know there is a character that can't be too far off in the timeline that drops a LOT of f-bombs. I can't imagine him being portrayed accurately with only one per season.
Flag
When you consider the way people, not zombies, died last season it seems silly.

If that character turns up, they may use feck instead ;-)
Flag
They better start inventing special new words for that character then. He swears a lot;)
Flag
They're going to have to replace it with something. And that character will have to show up at some point :-)
Flag
They could have allowed it. AMC allowed Breaking Bad to have an episode end with I F***ed Ted.
Flag
It could have been worse though. Imagine if it ended like this -

"They're fiddling with the wrong people!"
Flag
Haha that's pretty bad, but the all time worst censored phrase has to be one of the cable network's (can't remember which now) version of Samuel L. Jackson's iconic Snakes on Plane line. I shit you not, it actually says "I'm tired of all these monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane!" Pretty sure it's on youtube.
Flag
I've seen that!!!
It was equal parts awful and mesmerizing ;-)
Flag
That is the way the season should have ended!

It's to bad censoring ruined what would have been the best line of the season(or any of the seasons).

This would have allowed viewers to release that pent up aggression of the ending. I can see people on the edge of their seat and when he says "they're fukin' with the wrong people." viewers would be off the edge of their collective couches screaming "fukin' right!!!"
Flag
Agreed
Flag
FUCK YES!

To me it makes a lot of difference because it adds authenticity to the premise and the characters. As if you'd be worried about language living the life that these characters are. For some twisted reason American censorship thinks that no amount of gore and violence is as offensive as the word FUCK or nudity.
Flag
It would also make him seem angrier
Flag
The F-bombs should be allowed on the show like in the comics,why not! It's not like it's a G-rated series,plenty of violence and gore in The Walking Dead.
Flag
It was baffling why they censored it
Flag
Because Grimes is no Daryl.

Yeah, I went there (Sorry Grimes, but you're not, and you will ever be no matter how many men you kill).
Flag
Follow this Show
Members