A The Walking Dead Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on AMC

She collects zombies like any other girl would collect Monster High Dolls, she can't bring herself to put a knife in her father's brain any more than Daryl was able to put a knife in his brother's, she can save Glenn from a walker one minute and play with his blood the next.

We met Lizzie and her sister Mica naming walkers at the fence, ironic how one of the kids that had a name became a nameless walker when Patrick fell victim of the flu.

Unlike Carl, she's not a small adult waiting for her parent to hand her a weapon. Unlike Mica, she's not good at pretending everything is okay. Unlike Sophia, she's not allowed to call Carol mom (despite "Indifference" established she & Mika are seen as her children). Unlike Judith, she still remembers what it was like before zombies were walking about. Unlike Patrick and Penny (the Governor's daughter), she is still herself.

Lizzie can grow up to become a person or she could die to become a walker, as long as she's still something, she doesn't care.

poll

Comments (9)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Every kid who was around durring the Zombie Apocalypse had a very messed up chilhood.
Flag
True, I didn't even know there were so many until the mid season finale when we saw a bunch running away with baby Judith.
Flag
Another difference between Carl and Lizzie: Lizzie lived in Woodbury, fairly sheltered from the worst of the walker effects. Children didn't have to man the boundaries; they could live a (comparatively) normal life. We don't know how much - if any - she witnessed before entering Woodbury. Carl had the walker reality shoved right into his face.
Flag
Her perspective on zombies would also make more sense, if only because the Governor held fighting shows between Merle and the zombies on steady basis.

Up until the Woodburites found Milton & the Governor shot everybody in Karen's group, Lizzie may have actually believed people were more dangerous than walkers.
Flag
Despite Tim's hatred towards Lizzie, I think that she has a lot of potential. The writers have obviously learned from their mistakes with Carl and realized that children can serve roles other than 'a burden' and 'a target of a rescue mission'.

I love that The Walking Dead doesn't shy away from children as they are usually... Not well-received in the horror-y genres. The comics have Carl and Sophia, the show has Lizzie and Carl (and I guess Mica/Mika is still alive?) and the Telltale's game version's 2nd season is going to have a 10-year-old protagonist.

Everytime I read/watch something it's usually the children (if they are well written) that I remember the best. TWD has (season 3 and 4) Carl and Lizzie, GoT has Arya, Bran and Sansa.

I voted for Carl in your poll. Lizzie might seem messed up, but Carl shooting his mother is basically as messed up as it gets.
Flag
To be fair, Carl had a messed up childhood too. The show tends to focus in his dimension as Rick's son, but Carl is also a boy that watched his childhood friend become a zombie before she got shot in a barn, he used to play with guns much like Lizzie plays with walkers, and he relates better to Hershel or Michonne than he does to children his own age.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
It looks like she is really disturbed in some way. One moment she does something brave, the other she does something completely loony. Although it's still some years, but I beleive she will either become some kind of Governor or Carls loving wife.
Flag
I honestly see her like the kind of child Daryl used to be growing up: a mother that disappeared in a scenerario that doesn't feel real, father was the opposite of a leader before he died, a sibling she loves but doesn't relate to.
Flag
What I find fascinating about The Walking Dead's children is that this is a generation that was promised Birthday parties and Christmas, to dress up on Halloween and to rest assured that monsters do not exist.

They are not cute kids for a reason, most of them don't have parents because of the same reason.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members