A The Walking Dead Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on AMC

JUST DON'T CALL IT A COMEBACK

... Lisa Kudrow has joined ABC's Scandal in a recurring capacity for Season 3. The Friends star and Mad About You scene-stealer (what? Mad About You is seriously under-appreciated these days!) will play ... well, we don't know because Shonda Rhimes doesn't want us to know. But we can tell you that she's going to be a politician. Here's hoping she went to the Selina Meyer School of Politics, and not some super boring serious politician school. [Deadline Hollywood]

BUSINESS TIME

... FX has ordered a drama pilot starring Paul Giamatti. Hoke, written and produced by Justified's Scott Frank, is based on Charles Willeford's Hoke Moseley novels. It's set in Miami in the '80s and Giamatti plays the titular homicide detective who might just be a tiny bit off his rocker. Looks like it fits the FX Equation for Success: At Least One Recognizable Face + Dark Comedy + Some Sort of Crime Being Committed By Someone Who May or May Not Be the Lead = Success! Count me in! Patton Oswalt is in, too! [Deadline Hollywood]

... Valerie Harper, who was given three months to live after being diagnosed with brain cancer earlier this year, isn't letting the cancer get the best of her. She's tapping her inner Walter White and she's making the most of her time. No, she's not making meth—geez, guys, that's not what normal people do when diagnosed with cancer—she's joining Dancing With the Stars! I really want to make a joke here, but I do have a heart, guys. You go Valerie Harper, you go and you dance like everybody's watching. Because we will be. [TMZ]

... Andrew Lincoln of The Walking Dead does not watch the series because he claims he doesn't really like looking at himself. How does he shave? How does he tie a tie? How does he do anything? You know what, never mind—that's fine, Andrew. We'll gladly stare at your face 24 hours a day. We'll set up a Face Watch Wheel and take turns. You'll never have to look at yourself again. [EW]

... There's going to be a Luther movie! But if you don't want to be spoiled, don't click the link or read anything else about it until after Season 3 airs here in the States (set your DVRs for September 3 at 10 pm on BBC America). Because oh boy, I did and I regret it more than that one time I thought Zumba looked like fun. [Daily Mail]

... Attention all four people who watch Breaking Amish: LA! TLC has ordered two more one-hour episodes of the series. They're set to air back-to-back on Sunday, September 29 at 9pm, and will serve as a season finale. The second hour will be a reunion show, hosted by NBC's Michelle Beadle. [TLC via press release]

... Disney XD has renewed Crash & Bernstein, a live-action comedy about a boy and his puppet (not a euphemism), for a second season, set to premiere October 7 at 7:30pm. [Disney via press release]

CASTING NEWS

... Suits is in the middle of its summer half-season, but when the series returns this winter, you might recognize a familiar face in the mid-season premiere. Michael Phelps, bazillion-time Olympic medal winner, is guest-starring as himself when Scottie (Abigail Spencer) tries to land him as a client. Word on the street is Phelps is the one sports client Harvey could never close. Side note: If you follow series star Patrick J. Adams on Instagram, you already know that this is not the first time Phelps has visited the set. [EW]

... Mekhi Phifer has joined Showtime's House of Lies as Dre, a successful business mogul, in what I am sure is yet another targeted attempt by the higher ups to get me to watch the series. But no, I will not fall for your trickery again! Fool me once with promises of Kristen Bell, shame on me. Fool me twice, ain't gonna happen because that show is awful. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Walter Bishop is in the house! Ahem, sorry. John Noble is returning to The Good Wife in Season 5. But how? Isn't he dead? Yep! Noble's Matthew Ashbaugh was murdered in Season 4 and he appeared mostly through flashbacks in his episode, so how exactly does he return? Is he a ghost? Is this an entire flashback episode? All good questions. None of which I have the answer to. Sorry! [TV Guide]

... There's about to be one less good-looking brunette for Rayna to make out with in Nashville, and one more person to keep track of in Westeros. Michiel Huisman has joined HBO's Game of Thrones for Season 4. Place your bets in the comments about who he's playing because we've pretty much given up on keeping track of anyone at this point. [TV Line]

YOUR WEEKLY GUT PUNCH

Are you feeling really good about yourself today? Because you won't be once you read this next sentence. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers turned 20 today. Good luck not feeling really bad about how old you are. [Time]

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/3/2016

Season 6 : Episode 16

73 Comments
Comments (74)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
seeing this pic of Kudrow and how much she aged, made me sad..
Flag
i dont know how i feel about Lisa joining scandal i never watched her in a drama series i only watched her on friends cant wait to see what she delivers to this cast
Flag
Apparently Michiel Huisman will be playing Daario Naharis.
Best recast ever, the other guy was lame as hell, and this guy fits the book description way better
Flag
I knew Mighty Morphin Power Rangers turned 20 because it debuted on my 18th birthday, and soon after I was babysitting kids who were beating the crap out of everything thanks to that sensory-overload nightmare.
Flag
Happy birthday, hope you had a good one!
Flag
Thanks, I did! And a buddy did call out the Power Rangers connection.
Flag
Mad About You, yes!!!
Flag
As long as Lisa Kudrow has Jennifer Elise Cox as her PA in Scandal she'll be fine. Although I have to say, no amount of self-flagellation *turns on Boardwalk* could get me watching Scandal after seeing it's first few ep's.
A Luther movie without Ruth Wilson? Bow your heads in shame. Oh well, at least the talented and eye pleasing Indira will be back to ease the pain.
Flag
i agree about mad about you! it was a great show!!! (mad about you community please?)
Flag
The Andrew "news" isn't really all that new... He said he didn't watch back at the beginning of season 2. He's self-conscious and is worried that watching himself will change how he does things. So what? His prerogative.

Also... the Power Rangers, lol. Wow. How life flies. I really thought that show was older than me. Oh well. Just another reason for me to groan about how much I don't want to be the adult in the room.
Flag
Rite Arm!
Flag
House of Lies was alright... I personally liked the earlier episodes more than the later ones. My favorite scenes were when they'd just be together and making fun of each other. Later episodes/seasons were just getting depressing.

That being said, as much as I think Don Cheadle is a talented actor and did a decent job with the show... it was Kristen Bell that kept bringing me back.
Flag
Wow, I couldn't be less thrilled about a Suits episode... Michael Phelps

Don't get me wrong, it's cool that he won all of those medals and can give Aquaman a run for his money. But he is NOT a good actor or entertainer.

His appearance on Saturday Night Live was quite poor.

The only thing in his favor, in my opinion, is this time he's just playing himself. So maybe he'll be a little more comfortable with the part and do a decent job.
Flag
Phelps was better than Charles Barkley...
Flag
I cant wait for Lisa Kudrow to be in Scandal. I loved her in Friends she was one of the reasons why I watched the show to begin with. I think is is an AMAZING actress and should get way more credit than she gets!! All you ever really hear about is Jennifer, Courtney and sometimes Mathews Perry. Do not get me wrong,I am a big fan of all the cast. But Liza is always getting left out. She brings humour to shows/movies she is in. I am a big fan. Hopefully we will be seeing more of her.
Flag
Wow, Power rangers is older than me!!
I watched a few episodes, but i never really liked it, i felt it was very childish(the first time i saw it, i was 10-11 years old)
I mean god what is the matter with the fight scenes, it's like if they were dancing not fighting, and WTF is the matter with those electric sparks sparking everywhere, and the explosions that happens anytime one of the rangers jump, i mean really WTF
If someone punches someone with his bare fist you see a spark, if someone jumps you see a spark(and sometimes an explosions) if someone sleeps you see an spark if someone laughs you see a spark, if someone runs you see a spark or an explosion(most times a spark and an explosion)
Flag
Still watch Power Rangers and well till utter ends
Flag
Andrew Lincoln DOESN'T shave. Haven't you seen The Walking Dead lately?
Flag
WHAAAT?!?! House of Lies is brilliant! The mix of genres can get messy at times and the tone is a bit uneven but it has great writing and even better acting...
Flag
Lisa Kudrow does have her own show. Its so funny, the new season of her show is currently airing on Showtime and it doesn't even get a mention in the blurb about her upcoming 'guest spot'. WEB THERAPY has had Meg Ryan who hasn't done anything in many years and she was very funny and no one noticed. That is sad. This season, dealing with the fallout from Kip's campaign scandals has been quite entertaining.
Flag
Not that I don't have a heart, but Valerie Harper is probably the closest thing Dancing with the Stars has had to an actual star besides Cloris Leachman, another Mary Tyler Moore alumnist. I hope it's not going to be a situation where she has to drop out early due to her illness.
Flag
Boom the *The Good Wife* season 4 spoiler.
Flag
They should make a Power Rangers reunion movie with the original cast. They must be somewhere in their early 40s today. I would like to see them squeeze into their suits and kick it old school.

Outline of the movie: When a threat to humanity emerges once again, the original Power Rangers - now productive but out of shape members of society - must come together one final time to save the planet. 5-minute training montage, dramatic music (ask Sylvester Stallone how to do this correctly), selfish decisions in battle, first fight ends in defeat, realization that the team is stronger as one and they must work for a greater good, the final battle is won (despite joint stiffness, hart palpitations, poor eye sight, etc.) and the team hangs up their suits for good promising never to return.

...The film is a massive record breaking box office hit, and results in a sequel in which they have some ridiculous excuse to return despite their promise not to. (Again, ask Sylvester Stallone how to do this.)
Flag
Well here's one Fringe fan who has now a plot from The Good Wife spoiled for him.

You should have put what character Huisman played on Nashville, I had to look up the TV Line article. For those interested, he played Liam McGuinnis, the young music producer Rayna had a fling with. I'm sort of sad he's leaving, I liked the chemistry the two characters shared, but I didn't like how their relationship ended.

I was born in 1990 so Mighty Morphing Power Rangers was a part of my childhood, but other than having a couple of VHS tapes of the first season I wasn't the biggest fan, although I absolutely loved this chick (she is possibly why I am drawn to evil female characters now):

Flag
I'm so excited for the Luther movie :)
Flag
Started watching Power Rangers back in 99 right before my first ever year of school started and became obsessed. Had the toys, games, wrote my own adventures, and everything! I wouldn't mind being able to write a few episodes or so in the future lol so shout out to Power Rangers Lost Galaxy, one of the many seasons this franchise has had because I probably wouldn't have gotten so into writing if this wasn't one of my first ever fanfictions! ^_^
Flag
Lisa Kudrow. A politician. Wow, Scandal fans, this must be awesome for you!
Flag
Power Rangers is 20....jeez. I remember having my mom tape it for me (this was before they switched it to weekday afternoons on Fox Kids) and I would watch it when I got home from school. I still remember how happy I was when they switched to the afternoon.
Flag
I love "frinders"
Flag
I just had to comment on the House Of Lies comment...boo! That show is awesome and Mekhi Pfifer will be one hell of a bonus!
Also, not stoked about Lisa Kudrow on Scandal...i just don't see it
Flag
RE: Lisa Kudrow - It's all about networking. Staying close friends with one of the actor/producers on the show certainly aids that.
Flag
Hopefully Harper will be eliminated from DWTS before she dies.
Flag
House of Lies is awesomely dark & funny. Try again.
Flag
Staff
Nope.
Flag
Twenty years ago?! I was five when that shit started. I was obsessed with Power Rangers, when I was around that very young age of course. Heard the green/white ranger Jason David Frank is an MMA fighter now.
Flag
Eleven years old for me. I even dressed as my favorite Ranger for Halloween, The Black Ranger. Screw Jason, Zack was the one with the funky fresh moves.
Flag
this is a complicated News Brief for me.. I like Lisa Kudrow and John Noble but not the shows, and I like Suits but don't care for Michael Phelps unless it's swimming in the Olympics.. and I like Andrew Lincoln but I couldn't care less if an actor doesn't watch his work lol I don't have an opinion on Michiel Huisman personally, but I love Game of Thrones.. and everything else I just don't care about. so like I said. complicated.
Flag
I didn't like Phoebe from Friends much, but Lisa Kudrow might be good in Scandal. But yeah, I hope they didn't bring her in to be boring.

As for the Rangers, I guess I was four. I regret missing out on The Smurfs and Especially The Gummi Bears and Tranzor Z, but MMPR is baad. I saw a guy do Hip-Hopkido. Bad.
Flag
Don't regret the Smurfs. Better in small doses. Once a week was too often. Gummi Bears, well, yeah, my condolences, they had a catchy song, good characters, a nice mix of humor and action, and a deep mythology. Kind of second tier though, still. For Saturday morning stuff you should really be sad about missing: Dungeons & Dragons, Super Friends, and The Pirates of Darkwater. At least you had Gargoyles?
Flag
Yeah, actually I have the DVD's of Pirates of Dark Water, so I missed out, but I caught up. Great, short-lived, unfinished cartoon. It was just getting better, too.

I haven't hated any of the old Smurfs cartoons unless it had Peewit in them, but yeah, I haven't seen enough. I know they made a ton of them.

Gargoyles, absolutely.

Super Friends...no. Too much 'Great Scott!' and 'Great Neptune!' and 'Great Gotham!' And too much chin on those guys. I don't get that. Justice League and JLU has to represent them well enough. Those were great.

Dungeons & Dragons...I'll have to get back on that one...now that I know it was a cartoon.

I also have to mention G.I. Joe and The Transformers, but they're on Netflix. Good stuff.
Flag
Oh, yeah, I only didn't mention G.I. Joe and The Transformers because they were after school shows, and I'd also have to mention He-Man (also didn't hold up) and Voltron and Robotech and Animaniacs. Also Duck Tales, which was sort of the first non-cheaply-drawn daily cartoon and Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers which taught us that girls can be mechanics (and rodents have titties).
Flag
Yeah, in no way did Super Friends hold up, but for about 10 years or so (while they aired it in repeats), it was great for 6 year olds.
Flag
Holy crap, I loved the power rangers I'm only 21, but my older sister watched them, so I did too!!!!
Flag
I saw that about the power rangers and I couldn't decide how I felt...a little less than a month from now twenty years ago I was getting my driver's license. I'm actually a good driver so I am going to choose to look at that time positively and think about the fact that I got ID last week and that careful lookover as if the ID was not mine.
Flag
20 years old?!?!?!?!?! What...the....excuse me while I browse through these retirement brochures.
Flag
I'm really concerned about how BBCA will handle the airing of Luther's third season. Unless my (FiOS) tuner's guide is currently wrong and subject to change -- a distinct possibility -- it's blocked off for a single hour each of the four nights it's scheduled to air. But BBCA inserts a boatload of commercials into each hour. The original airings on BBC ran a full 55-58 minutes apiece with no commercials. If they're allocated only an hour apiece on BBCA (presumably with commercials aplenty inserted), each one would drop to around 42 minutes or so. There's no way they can cut out roughly 1/4 of each original episode while hoping to maintain its integrity. It really should be expanded to 90 minutes for each episode to accommodate commercials but the guide doesn't (currently) show that as being the case. Either that or spread it out over six nights instead of four. As currently listed, the timing just doesn't add up. And no, there's no way I'd believe that they'll show it commercial-free.

Fortunately for me, I saw the full-length originals already but that doesn't lessen my concern for those who didn't have that luxury.

Flag
I don't know if it will apply to Luther but alot of times if you wait until the next day and watch the show via the OnDemand system the show will be unedited, well at least lengthwise.
Flag
I found out the hard way that BBCA takes out pretty significant portions with their butchering AVID sometimes. Even if you get a 1:15 episode, you still don't get everything. BBCA really destroys their brand with all the editing on their shows.
Flag
That's why I buy them episode per episode on Amazon Instant Video.Much better that way.
Flag
Yes, I think they're a pretty poor channel in general. Between their shortening of some shows to fit in more commercials to their strange editing choices to the totally inexplicable airing of sooooo many shows that have literally nothing to do with England -- Star Trek: TNG? The X-Files? Huh? -- they routinely disappoint and baffle me.

There's no way I would have ever chosen to watch Broadchurch on BBCA had it not been for Wikipedia telling me that must have originally aired with ads even across the pond (due to original running times listed as being 42-46 minutes). So I've assumed that I'm probably not losing more 3-4 minutes of original footage in the US rebroadcasts. But even then, you can see how they've spliced together segments that were originally intended to have natural commercial breaks, while very noticeably cutting to commercial where a break didn't originally exist. It's all quite maddening. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I think I should just go ahead and search out the remaining Broadchurch episodes in their originally broadcast forms.

If Luther S3 truly airs in four installments of roughly 40-42 minutes each (versus the original 56-58) , anywhere from 1/4 to 1/3 of the original material will never be seen here. That's totally unacceptable. Previous airings of Luther were time-expanded to show their full length, albeit with tons (tonnes?) of commercials inserted. The same should be done with this last season of the show. With two airings of Luther a night, both time-expanded to 90 minutes, all they'd have to do is sacrifice a single airing of ST:TNG (or something else similarly non-British) so as not destroy to the integrity of the episodes.

This channel deserves widespread condemnation for being so bloody stupid and uncaring about bringing the exact same quality to its US audience as it brings to its British audience.

More +
Flag
You're not wrong about the library they could choose from. I remember when the comedies were part of prime time. They moved them to late night after awhile, but at least they were still there. Now it's like comedy doesn't even exist anymore (I had to catch the IT Crowd on IFC, for pete's sake).

I know their charter is different than at home - they have to show a profit - but how many Top Gear and Ramsay's Kitchen whatevers can you watch in one day? Not to mention ST:TNG that most of us had exhausted any interest in reruns stateside before BBCA picked up the distribution again [sigh]. BBCA and PBS both run ITV productions along with the BBC programs, so it's not as though they're without options.
Flag
I recently got caught up in Masterchef UK, mainly to see the difference in their show to ours. I enjoyed the two seasons or cycles they ran despite being rather formal and dry. What I can't understand is why they are re-running those same two seasons for the third time in a row.

I like Top Gear, but over and over again?

I don't get Next Generation other than Patrick Stewart being British, but is that justification for BBCA to carry it? Seems silly.

Thene there are the same handful commercials over and over again. Take out the constant one for their shows and I don't see how they make money. I believe they are owned NBC, so maybe that helps.

You can't help feeling the network could do so much better.
Flag
By "made in America," I obviously meant made by American studios. To be sure, many, many "American" shows are shot in Canada for financial reasons. I used to chuckle at how many X-Files episodes all seemed to have been shot in the exact same Canadian forest location.

I will always hope -- and will therefore likely always be disappointed because I know it will never happen -- that many of the great BBC imports that PBS has rebroadcast here for so long could see the light of day again. So many great comedy and mystery series, all but forgotten now by most. Hell, just giving me back the Flying Circus would suffice for a little while, even though I'm one of "them" who has most of those episodes almost entirely committed to memory by now.

Sadly, PBS also edits a few minutes out of many of their current imports from England, but they still seem to show British shows more respect than BBCA does. (Long rant about PBS' own many issues wisely withheld.)

I guess I'll shut up now since all these replies are making the conversation flow confusingly upward rather than downward.
More +
Flag
You're not wrong (though X-Files was made largely in Canada), but some of that great British television is on ITV (though less of it), and I don't think they are going to play nice just for us. There has to be a story behind that aspect ratio thing, but I don't know it.
Flag
With all the great British television that's available to which the BBC could expose American audiences, there's no excuse at all for filling so much of their daily broadcast schedule with shows that were made entirely in America. I've seen ST:TNG episodes air six hours out of twenty-four, a full 25% of their broadcast day. (And why they show them at such a strange aspect ratio is another mystery all its own. TNG, for example, is shown somewhere between 1.33:1 and 1.78:1. They were all produced at 4:3, so why does BBCA crop the top and bottom of each frame to make them appear slightly wider on 16:9 sets?)

Flag
And Gillian Anderson is a British actress if not exactly British-born. It's a stretch.
Flag
MMPowerRangers is as old as I am .-. Wierd
Flag
I'm unphased. I was born in 1993: The year of the ranger. :B
Flag
Okay, all you people who were *born* then are not helping by pointing this out.
Flag
Honestly, I'm still surprised people born that recently can talk.
Flag
1) Mad About You is under-appreciated. I have every episode and enjoy it still.
2) I feel like Valerie Harper joining DWTS is similar to when Heather Mills joined. You know? Like the only reason they booked her and the reason people will watch, is to see if something bad happens. Everyone wanted to see it Heather's leg was gonna fall off. =\
Flag
HAHAHA. Was I not just discussing the Power Rangers thing on Twitter! The sad thing? I'd still watch all the old eps. I love my 90s TV.

I don't know about Valerie Harper being on DWTS. I mean, good for her not letting horrible news get the best of her, but she could pass away at ANY time. I guess I find it weird that ABC would go that route...
Flag
Follow this Show
Members