A The Walking Dead Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on AMC
As the camera panned out, with the prison slowly creeping to the background, a familiar image came into focus. With his conservative hair, still magnificently tamed, and the slightest glimpse of the patch covering up his right eye, "Internment" faded to black with millions of jaws on the floor: The Governor has returned. I say jaws on the floor, because if you're like me than you were thinking, "Great. He's back. How quickly can he die?" This isn't to say that I'm not extremely excited about his return. I'm uber pumped to see my favorite TWD villain return to continue wrecking havoc. I like the Governor, and I like what the show has done with his character versus how he's portrayed in the comic. David Morrissey is fantastic. I want Michonne to exact revenge and get closure, and I am interested to see how this will effect the group considering they've just gone through so much - death in different forms - and the prison yard's fence finally giving way. If bad things come in three than of course this is the prime time for the Governor to pop out of the shadows. I just hope that the aforementioned isn't dragged out throughout the rest of the season. I'm going out on a limb here, but I have every faith in Scott Gimple's vision - even "filler" episodes this season have been fantastic IMO - so I think that the Governor's return is very calculated and concise.

If I had to guess, and of course I have to guess, I think that the Governor has been watching and waiting very patiently and carefully for the perfect time to strike. He would've seen them burning the bodies of those that fell victim to the virus that swept through the prison, he would've seen the walls come down (he might've even played a role in luring the Walkers to the fence!), and he knows the group is the weakest it has been in a long time. Is he alone? Does he still have loyal followers that will march with him to attack the prison? I don't know but I'm excited to find out. I'm also excited to see how the Governor's return, the horde that Daryl and crew ran into, and Rick and Carl's gunshots to clear the prison yard will come into play. If things are as silent as they seem to be (in terms of other people nearby) those gunshots will most certainly draw the horde's attention. The horde was already going in that direction, this just assures that it will stay on track. Could the Governor be behind the horde? It's possible. So many possibilities! What do you think the Governor is up to? Are you glad he's back? How will his return effect the group at the prison? Is the Governor responsible for some of the issues everyone is encountering at the prison? Is the Governor Lone wolfing it, or does he still have followers? Is Michonne losing her edge since the "trail ran cold," or is the Governor that good? Lets discuss…..
Comments (21)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I don't mind the governor bringing some drama to the show. I just hope that we don't lose any more main characters. I want to see Michonne and Daryl get some New World justice. No imprisonment for this governor, only death will suffice. It doesn't even have to be permanent death because I wouldn't mind seeing the governor as a walker with no teeth or arms.
Flag
This season had been great thus far, and I'm afraid The Governor's return will spoil the dynamic the show has started to build. That being said, I'm cautiously optimistic though, and will reserve my judgement for now. After all, The Governor is a compelling character and I am excited to see what he does next even if I am a little concerned about where this will lead the show.
Flag
Am I the only person who doesn't think The Governor is out for wanton bloodlust revenge?
I agree with people's reactions - if he was brought back for something as 2-dimensional as "I want revenge on the prison so I'll sneakily attack it", then that's boring as dog shit.

But the show has a chance to do so much more with the character right now. And since at the moment they've shown they're perfectly fine with going away from the script the comics set up, they've got a great chance to do something really great with him.

What if, instead of just "wanting revenge" on the prison, The Governor found himself out in the wild again and had made...peace, I guess, with the situation. Not remorse, not even peace, I guess but more "I'm where I am because of the choices I made, and I can understand that, even if I would make those choices again".
Kind of where Carol is right now. She made some choices that she thought were right and it's gotten her in the same boat. Neither are remorseful about their actions, though. There's a good chance to show how, in this world, the people with the character to make the hardest and the worst choice and stand by it survive here. Since The Walking Dead seems keen on having a lot of moral grey area, both of these characters can feel justified that they did what they did because it had to be done and no-one else was going to do it.
Now there's a chance to contrast the two - one character who has a chance to "redeem" themselves in a post-zombie-apocalypse wasteland (which you know will be Carol) and one that will choose the hard path.
Personally I'd love to see Carol and the Governor meet up in the wild, team up and be completely bad-ass for a bit, then be able to show where compassion (like Carol has) is the greater trait that being completely psychotic like the Governor etc. If they do that, or hell, just something that isn't "I'm the Governor and I'm out for revenge! Rargh!" it should be great.
More+
Flag
That would be so out of character for the governor to have had such an epiphany. That's like a serial killer who suddenly decides that they want to make "peace with the situation." Not going to happen.
Flag
Perhaps, but they need to do something beyond "I'm evil and want to kill you", else it will be a massive wasted opportunity.
Flag
Excellent idea! You've put some great thought into it. If The Walking Dead does something even remotely similar to what you described I'll be happy to have him return for a prolonged period of time.
Flag
Governor the one probably feeding the walkers rats leading them to pile up on the fence.
Flag
How would he have gotten inside the prison?
Flag
I wouldn't say he was the one feeding the rats from inside the prison (I'm still pinning that on Lizzie), but I'm definitely going to say he is the one luring the zombies to the prison somehow.
Flag
You know though, at first I suspected he was somehow responsible for the new outbreak. Life he'd somehow manage to contaminate the prison's food or water supply.

Flag
Is Rick's crew above using biological warfare themselves? would be an interesting development if they kept some infected blood to throw in the governors face...
Flag
I was thinking the water supply because Carol had to go outside of the prison walls to clean out the water pipe. He could've easily messed with that. Cholera, dysentery, and typhoid fever are all waterborne diseases. Cholera would be the easiest for the Governor to "create" - rats in the water supply was the most common cause back in the day.
Flag
The zombies first seemed to be lured from the inside, so it'll be interesting to see how Phillip managed that. I could see him being responsible for the zombies getting to the prison in the first place though.

I don't know about him having someone on the inside... at least not anymore. All of the Woodbury adults seem to have died in the last few episodes. That or none of wanted to help out during the prison break-in or the cleanup the next day.
Flag
Anyone else see the preview on Talking Dead? It seems he has at least 2 others with him, he had 3 tents set up.

Also, the bit where he watches the walker come straight towards him then it falls in the fire, all I could think was that with 1 eye and no depth perception, he had no idea how far away it was :P
Flag
I'll go on a limb and say The Governor is behind the hordes of zombies being led to the prison. He doesn't just hide in the shadows, he hides and watches his plans come together.
Flag
I am not that excited about he Governor returns but I will keep faith with this new Scott show runner since he had given me 5 wonderful episodes.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members