A The Walking Dead Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on AMC
What you can't see can kill you, Patrick learned that first hand when a sneaky disease took his life in the season premiere. Dr. Jenner warned them: it doesn't matter if they die of natural causes or get bitten. In the end, they all turn.

There's no use to keep the walkers out if an epidemic could create even more walkers inside. Shane and Rick came across several places that were overrun from within, Andrea and Daryl saw several walkers that opted out in a way that didn't prevent them to come back to kill more people. A roof collapsed above them, filled with victims of a crash that probably got bitten by those that died on impact.

Attachment, in this show, kills quicker than zombies. People who knew Patrick are more likely to run towards him than away from him once he turns, Hershel kept feeding his wife and stepson, just like the woman Rick found on the season premiere, Morgan lost it because he couldn't protect his son from his wife, and the Governor because someone slain the corpse of his zombie daughter.

poll

Comments (25)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
The mental aspect of it all has to be the most insidious. Physical things like a bite or a non-walker plague infection can be (and should have been) screened just by inspecting the person, but there is no way to look and tell just how bad the crazy is on the inside.
I remember being worried and suspicious, wondering what kind of threat Clara represented, but no one could have predicted her actions. That's an insidious threat.
The Governor, turning on living people to protect his walker daughter. Who would reasonably expect that? That's what makes it an insidious threat.
An obvious threat is being around fatally ill kid, when you know that anyone who dies then turns. Patrick should have been quarantined, but wasn't. This isn't an insidious threat, but an obvious threat glaringly overlooked by the survivors (the idiots!).
Flag
I think children are more resiliant in this show because they've learned to adjust to losses their elders can't handle:

• Unlike Clara, Beth's first reaction upon losing her boyfriend isn't to take her own life anymore, but to be grateful that she got to know him.
  • That little girl arguing with Carl equals walkers to criminals and chooses to name them rather than to be afraid of them.
  • Even Patrick, he didn't run to hide with a father figure when he was dying, but took care of each symptom like someone who learned people die alone a long time ago.
Flag
All these are great theories but what if it is as simple as Patrick had a minor bite or scratch from a walker before he got the prison? We really don't know how long he's been there or how much time has passed. Maybe before he was rescued, he tangled with a walker and got scratched. I know this is probably too easy an explanation. Hopefully any new survivors are checked thoroughly to make sure they aren't infected. Although we don't know that for sure. They talked about the 3 questions but we don't know if there are any other checks that are done before a new person is invited in to the prison.
I posted on another discussion about the airborne threat. If it is airborne, everyone is dead. There will be no survivors unless they find a huge stash of gas masks.
But all the signs so far are pointing to some kind of virus. Hopefully we will find out definitively that he wasn't bitten on Sunday night. Then we can be sure it's some kind of virus or mutation.
Ionee you're right, they have so many people inside now and someone could slip and fall and break their neck and come back. I also brought up the fact in a previous discussion that there are no guards inside the prison. How would anyone know? Why aren't there guards inside? As we saw on the preview, nobody has a clue that Patrick is a walker. Everyone is asleep. He has free reign to eat people until the screams wake everyone up. Kind of bad planning there...
More+
Flag
I don't think chris21fl is fogetting it, its just that the discussion is stuck on "An outbreak" rather than "Attachment" or "The things we can't come back from" (which makes sense, since its getting the most votes too).
Flag
Think you're forgetting the information we got in season 1, everyone is infected(ok might be someone that is immune). But since ppl seems to know him and he seems to know ppl I would guess that he's been there at least a couple of days. So if he had been bitten or scratched he would have turned by now. Though I don't really understand why ppl turns into zombies when bitten if they are allready infected, unless there are different levels of infection.
Flag
Typically, in zombie fiction, if everyone is considered pre-infected (i.e. they will become a zombie no matter how they die), then the zombie bite itself merely increases the infection to the point of killing them, after which they reanimate.

Of course, in some case, as in un-Patrick's first victim, the bite itself is a death-dealing blow. Ripping out someone's jugular vein = death. ha ha :)
Flag
I always go back to the Vatos: all it takes is one of the elders to die in their sleep and they were all dead.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
To me, the question is not whether Patrick got sick inside or not, but the consequences of him dying inside.

Anyone could catch a cold or a fever but, when an illness does kill, they are not dealing with a sick person anymore: they are dealing with a zombie than can kill people from within the building.
Flag
I think the question is whether was Patrick sick from something else that caused him to get sick enough to die and just turned or is there something airborne. My actual guess is that it is something in the food supply because I think it would make sense that animals carry something of the virus by now (and the focus on the pig seemed to be important) and the virus mutated into whatever Patrick had. I imagine there will be a contingent of characters who were and still are vegetarians who don't fall victim to the new infection and, maybe in a World War Z (I think this is what sort of happened, I got really bored), those new infected zombies don't attack the vegetarians. It kind of makes hunger be a bigger issue again, just because fruits and vegetables will require stability and staying in one place.
Flag
I think its what killed the zombie Rick was watching while farming, the walker had the same bleeding eyes that Patrick.

I reckon the people working on the fence got it from the walkers, and they pass it on to those playing near the fence like Patrick or Carl and from them on to the general population.

They are going to need the medic that was talking to Sasha, sooner rather than later.
Flag
I could swear that the silent killer is some sort of a virus.. Patrick was bleeding before he died so it could be some sort of a hemorrhagic virus (like Ebola in Africa) that spreads through deer, contaminated water or by some other way (which would mean that Daryl might have it as well).
Flag
I'm thinking Carl is more likely than Daryl because, where he licked his fingers before he shook hands, Carl never washed his hands before or after playing with Patrick.

The only reason I believe Carol and the children are safe is because Patrick left knives lessons before he touched any of them. But they could be compromised too.
Flag
Good post. You make some interesting points.
Flag
The show hinted it as back as Vatos, the boys stayed behind with their grandparents when Doctors & nurses left the old people to die, and Dr. Jenner was greateful the plagues inside the CDC would never get out.

I think Shane could never come back from what he did to Otis too.
Flag
I'd say the most 'INSIDIOUS' threat has got to be all the nasty body odors and bad breath coming from the survivors with no access to soap or toothpaste. You could probably forgive the zombie stink that must be everywhere but smelly the living people around me would drive me nuts and turn me into a psychopath. Also, I can never understand why anyone in the show would want to get it on with someone else. The last thing anyone would want is a snog from someone with 18 months of morning breath build up.

I guess in The Walking Dead universe, everyone must look forward to the next time someone farts as it would probably smell like perfume in their rancid environment. Corr blimey, can you imagine what a zombie fart must smell like?

It's quite possible, the next level of human evolution would be the ability to hold your breath for prolonged periods of time to avoid any nasty sudden whiffs in their world, especially when someone drops their crusty under-kecks to have sex with someone, HaHa (Trust me, sex would be the LAST thing on my mind in a zombie Apocalypse, mostly because it would herald the return of the overgrown bush that I was glad to see the back of in the early 90's. I wouldn't want to go through that traumatic experience again.)

Finally, I also have a theory that the zombie walkers are killing the living because they smell worse than they do.
More+
Flag
They could live without a shower though, they could survive without toothbrushes or soap, o even without sex.

However, they can't survive without their loved ones: they either go mad (The Governor, Clara, Morgan), have a breakdown (Rick, Beth, Hershel) or die (Shane).
Flag
Did you not see the rudimentary showers that they had made, not to mention, it's not like they couldn't salvage for toothpaste, toothbrushes and soap. Albeit they would have to use sparingly. Also in a world full of rotten corpses, I'm pretty sure a little morning breath or body odor wouldn't be that bad.
Flag
Judging only by Clara and Michonne body odor is useful camouflage when combined with zombie filth.

Season 1's Guts established that actual walker parts might be better, but its too much of a risk to be worth it IMO.
Flag
Anyone who cradles someone dying, especially of a walker bite, deserves to have their face ripped off, unfortunately it doesn't happen enough.

Oh, and that goes double for anyone who tries Mouth to Mouth on a bite victim... LORI!
Flag
You can vote for more than one option in this poll, by the way.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members