A The Walking Dead Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on AMC

The Walking Dead S04E01: "30 Days Without an Accident"

I'm going to be totally honest here, guys. Going in, I wasn't too jazzed by the thought of The Walking Dead's fourth season. The Season 3 finale was bleh, a critical blow for a series that was had grown too inconsistent. As it progressed, The Walking Dead spent more and more time trying to win a ton of Emmys and get on critics' "best of the year" lists with heavy acting and demonstrative chatter, but it never fulfilled that goal. It wanted to be the best drama on television, but come on, moaning about the same crap over and over again while dramatically sitting on its thumbs did not elevated it to the same level as other dramas on the same channel. The Walking Dead, despite glimpses of greatness, needed a lot of work. 

During the off-season, the biggest show on television brought in yet ANOTHER showrunner (new guy Scott Gimple is the third guy to hold the position as the show kicks off Season 4). And when you think about that—especially with regard to the show's absurd success—it's insane. Why would a network repeatedly swap showrunners on a series that was dominating the ratings? I DON'T KNOW! It's crazy! AMC is crazy. It would be shortsighted to believe that anyone other than AMC is steering the ship here, bringing on new showrunners who will comply with the network's ideas. Any sign of dissent and it's the ol' heave-ho. Three showrunners in four seasons? Absolutely nuts.

Now Gimple follows Glen Mazzara, who followed Frank Darabont, as The Walking Dead's big cheese, and once again the series has been injected with a new sense of life. The Season 4 premiere, "30 Days Without an Accident," represented Gimple—who authored the fantastic Season 3 episode "Clear"—shaking his fists and declaring, "This is MY show!" The episode was half character-driven drama and half B-movie frightfest, and to that I say, Hallelujah! If "30 Days Without an Accident" is the blueprint for The Walking Dead moving forward, we're in good shape.

It's been who knows how long since the end of Season 3 (at least 30 days, I guess) and the prison was humming along as the zombie apocalypse's coolest farm-to-table bed-and-breakfast with free communal continental brunch. And it's loaded with all sorts of new characters that we don't care about who will be eaten by zombies much to our delight. Amen! There's Patrick, the hipster fashion disaster and Harry Potter: The Musical reject. There's a bunch of very annoying kids, aka human veal for zombies, that I can't wait to see ripped to shreds by their undead aunts. And who knows how many other no-name Woodbury rejects will be the stars of animated GIFs once this season is over! If Rick's weird decision to let in a bunch of strangers to the prison after being so discriminating before was just the writers' way of restocking the buffet, then great! I approve.

Having all these people around also seemed to make Rick's group happier, because it was all smiles and jokes and Daryl worship on the prison grounds. Hershel was making farmer cracks with Rick, Michonne was smiling (smiling!), and Carol continued to sexually harass Daryl with saucy talk. And for a rare moment, The Walking Dead felt like it had actual characters instead of bobbleheads spouting talking points or arguing about trust. Characterization was The Walking Dead's greatest deficiency heading into Season 4, but "30 Days Without an Accident" had plenty of it. So much, in fact, that it was like meeting many of these characters for the first time. For example, did you know that Beth could talk? It's true! For once, no zombies were on screen and The Walking Dead was still interesting to watch. I had hoped that Gimble would make giving characters depth a priority, and he did. But I'm not going to get too excited about it until I see it's sustained over a few episodes. Next week, Rick and Hershel could argue about carrots, and we'd be back to the old The Walking Dead

The improvements didn't stop there, because we got one bonkers zombie attack when a scout team went shopping and ended up in a really fun zombie B-movie. We're three seasons in, so The Walking Dead has to figure out new ways to spring undead attackers on the survivors, and what transpired inside that department store was so great, so awesome, and so ridiculous that I couldn't help but be giddy with laughter. After new character Bob somehow made a shelf of liquor collapse on him trapping his leg (what a klutz), a bunch of walkers on the roof of the building heard the ruckus and for some reason started walking towards the middle of the roof. I don't know why, but I didn't much care for the reason once they started dropping through the ceiling on top of the survivors. Was the roof weakened by excess rain because the downed chopper on the roof clogged the drainage system? Did the chopper weaken the roof enough to make it all flimsy? Are these zombies really heavy? Who cares! They started falling down on Glen and Daryl and Tyreese and that's all that mattered. It wasn't particularly scary, but it was all kinds of rad. Hopefully The Walking Dead embraces this kind of insanity moving forward, because walking into a building and getting surprised by zombies just hanging around has passed its expiration date.  

As zombies fell from the heavens like overripe fruit, everyone was unleashing fury on them with swords and guns. Even gravity got in on the slaughter, exploding some of the softer zombies on the ground in wonderful splashes of gore. This was great stuff, with the effects team pulling out all the tricks with skin peeling, skulls popping, and heads  Beth's boyfriend made the fatal mistake of trying to help a brother out and got his calf and then his neck and then his face chomped on by a zombie. Just goes to show you, never stop to help anyone out during a zombie apocalypse. Save yourself! I am apologizing in advance if you and I get stuck in a zombie attack together. I'll be the one running away and throwing raw meat in your direction.

Rick went on his own little adventure as he searched some snares he left in the woods. For whatever reason, Rick went on this journey by himself and was only going to bring a knife. We usually expect Rick to be the smart one, but this was stupid. If these zombies only ate brains, they wouldn't get much of a meal out of Rick on this day. But no zombies attacked, and instead Rick ran into a dirty Irish woman who begged Rick to take her and her husband into their camp. Everyone but Rick knew it was some sort of trap, and when the two arrived back at her camp, her so-called husband was just a lump that was moving in a burlap sack and she attacked Rick with a knife. Lady, you crazy! And then the lady stabbed herself in the stomach because she wanted to be with her precious husband. Like I said, CRAZY. I'm not sure what the point of this plot was except to show that the stress of a zombie attack can make you stupid and that if you ever have a connecting flight through Atlanta, you better bring a lot to eat. 

At Comic-Con, Gimple teased that Season 4 would introduce a new threat, and if the zombie with the bleeding eyeballs wasn't a big enough hint, poor Patrick made it obvious. The nerd fell under the weather halfway through the episode, and by the end of the episode he keeled over in the showers and died then undied as a zombie! Was it a particularly nasty cold that killed him? Or is the zombie virus, which has infected everyone, mutating? Or did God intervene and decide it was Patrick's time? Whichever it was, it means that everyone has a new problem on their hands. A problem they can't see that can strike at any time. Given that The Walking Dead has operated on very visible and obvious threats, adding some killer virus changes the series a lot. I guess I like it? We'll see how it's handled, because this could send the series down a good or bad path. 

We talk a lot about new management making its mark on the series a lot with The Walking Dead, but this time we really mean it. Gimple's debut as showrunner was a good one, and he addressed some of the series' biggest problems while polishing up what made it good, finding a balance between competent drama and sprucing up requisite zombie attacks. I'm just sorry Patrick couldn't be around to see it continue. R.I.P., you dork.  

NOTES

– "This isn't charity, you have to have numbers," Rick told that scary Irish lady as he walked around the woods and into her camp BY HIMSELF. 

– How stone-cold is Beth? When she found out her boyfriend was dead, she didn't flinch. All she said was, "I don't cry anymore, Daryl. I'm just glad I got to know him, you know?" Guys, I think I have a crush on Beth now. 

– Carol's storytime included lessons on how to use sharp objects. That's cool. But why did she ask Carl not to tell Rick? Wouldn't rudimentary survival skills be good for the kids? 

– I can't wait for those kids who were naming zombies to die. It's going to be so great!

What'd you think of the Season 4 premiere? 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/3/2016

Season 6 : Episode 16

306 Comments
Comments (306)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
How does Herschel have his chopped off leg suddenly back to normal?
Flag
Is the thing in the sack a reference of Audition? We'll never know what was in it, I thought it was a baby zombie.
Flag
Carl Beth is all yours now.... Hahaha
Flag
I haven't read all the comments for obvious reasons, but I haven't seen it being mentioned. I just want to point out that scene with the Daryl - Harry Potter lookalike handshake, something fishy is going on in that scene, will Daryl show symptoms next episode? Was the kid already carrying that sort of virus at the time of the handshake? Could it be spread with a handshake (remember Daryl deliberately licking his fingers)? Lots of questions there.

Before the premiere, some people from the cast and the new showrunner said there would be a new killing threat in Season 4, so this bleeding-eyes thingy must be it. That kid didn't even have time to show any symptoms, he died all of a sudden, so how is that going to work out? More people will probably die from that disease or at least that's the picture they're trying to show us.
Flag
Yawn! It was so bad!
Flag
Not as bad as Marvel's agents of shield
Flag
About a million times worse.
Flag
Here's a decent prediction, I think the nerdy kid got the virus from the animals. Notice how the pig died of some mysterious disease. More importantly, mr. geek was helping to chop up the animal the Daryl brought back.

I'm thinking that either the animal supply is completely contaminated, or viral if not cooked long enough.
Flag
I'm thining he got it from one of the people working on the fence: the zombie Rick was looking at when farming had the same blood trails running from its eyes.

Whatever it is that killed Patrick must hace come from there.
Flag
I think that the zombie with the bleeding eyes, just shows the symptoms of the swine/ animal disease carrying over to humans. The kid's eyes were bleeding out at the end as well.
Flag
I think the carrier is Karen, Tyreese or any of the other people working at the fence. Patrick started to feel bad after the kids named the zombies near the fence.
Flag
I agree that season four has opened up impressively.
Enjoyed some of the quieter moments of the main characters as well as Rick's walk in the woods. It was a reminder that the "walking dead" had been human at one point. It tied in with the kids humanizing the zombies by giving them names.
The department store action was incredible with the raining of zombies through the roof. Got my attention.
I do find the over zealous joy in hoping some characters will die a little disturbing, even if Tim is just joking.
Flag
Great season 4 start! With all the Gov. stuff from season 3, one almost forgot that the real nemesis is the several dozen (and increasing more everyday) zombies just on the other side of a chain link fence. Excellent reintroduction of the zombie threat via ceiling dropping undead.
Looks like Carl has reacquainted himself with behaving as a pseudo kid again and I know there's been alot of chatter here about the "New Kids on the Block" being a zombie buffet but I saw something different. It looks to me like Carl's getting ready to get him a girlfriend (the jaded tall girl w/ the ponytail). Go Carl!
Will there be a cat-fight between Beth and Carol over Darryl's affections in the near future? That looked more than just a consoling hug that ol' Darryl was giving Beth after the accident days were zeroed out.
With the farm animals and the wildlife starting to drop like flies, will there be a call to get the show back on the road? Especially after white-Erkel Potter succumbed so quickly. I don't think even ebola reacts that quickly.
Welcome back TWD. You were missed!!!!!!
Flag
I think Carl could use a reality check with children that had been through as much, or even worse, as he did. Chances are he's not the only kid who shot his mother, or had to get rid off - or lost - a close member of his group.

It was great to see that little girl tell him she knew exactly how people become those things she put names on. I'm looking forward to more of those scenes.
Flag
Same here. Carl needs someone his own age to hang w/....and I still think he'll get a girlfriend out of it.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Loved the premiere. Promising start (especially the new viral threat), but this show has a knack of reeling us in and then falling short time and time again. I truly hope come the end of Season 4 we can say YAY! The Walking Dead is awesome again!
Flag
Good to have The Walking Dead back!!! it was a crazy premier
Flag
I think is the farm animals . They are infected by the virus and when that kid ate the food he was infected with some kind of porcine zombie flu
Flag
Its been pretty obvious for a while that the biggest threat to major survivor colonies is not from walkers breaching the perimeter, but from someone dying in their sleep.
I've always thought they needed to set up a system where they could lock each person up at night for their own safety. If only the prison was set up for something like that...
Flag
I also thought it was really weird that no one really cared about the kid feeling sick. This wouldn't have happened in Woodbury /Gov'nuh mode on!, 'cause they had a nurse.
Flag
the reason why 'no one cared' is because of the timing. Harry Snotter didn't mention he was feeling sick until the very moment Carol pulled the knives out. His asking to be excused at that point had every appearance of the kid simply making up an excuse to get out of knifeplay 101...Carol was obviously skeptical in her response, but let the kid leave after he persisted. At that point in time, there was no reason for Carol to think the kid wasn't lying.

Have you never in your lifetime faked an excuse to get outta class & play the sick card at the nurses office in order to go home early & eff off for the rest of the day?

It's an art, man! An Art! :P
Flag
Anyone want to bet on how many members of the cell block walker Harry Potter eats before they take him out? Who do you think will be the on to off him? Also, does anybody else feel like whatever killed him may have also killed Violet the pig? Maybe they have a contaminated water supply...
Flag
If time response its at least half as emotional as it was when Sophia came out of the barn, I'd say half the people in that cell block will die before they even start running away from Patrick.

Carol actually ran towards her child before Daryl stopped her. the Governor never got rid of Penny, Morgan lost his son before he gathered the nerve to end his wife: attachment, in this show, kills quicker than zombies.
Flag
Anyone else notice the blatant reference to the walking dead game location in Macon. Pretty sure the game is set there and it looks like michonne might be heading there! Interesting!!
Flag
Loved the episode but those kids have to go, as much as its nice to see the 'commune' grow smart arsed know it all kids are by miles THE most annoying thing ever, I would rather face down a killer clown that turns into a spider in a cold dark shower room than those kids. Beth has done little up to now beyond back ground scene filing and now her B/F is toast she has even less reason to hang around; give her something to do or give her a good death and zombify her already.

I am intrigued by the new twist in the infection, is it going to be a plague type scenario where they are all up the proverbial river without a paddle now one has died from it? Is the Harry Potter wanna be now going to run around the tombs and infect everyone he comes across as they all do the inevitable and split up to look for him? Will we ACTUALLY get to see inside the tombs this season or is that too much to hope for? Oh yeah..............and when will the Governor be back and what form of revenge is he going to take on Rick and Co.?
More+
Flag
Maybe its because of Carl, maybe its because of Beth, but I've always thought its better for the children to join some sort of structure made by adults than to forsake the world as they know it.

Some of them must have survived their own parents, some of them their own teachers or neighbors, the fact they can still be annoying rather than homicidal is huge considering what they had to do to be alive today.
Flag
Enjoyed how she slumped to the floor like a sack of shit then got up and was like "nah, not dead, just crazy".

What was up with Rick's gun though? Just worried Carl's getting too trigger happy? He was all "If I get into trouble, 6 rounds won't help". Ummmm... It might!
Flag
Brilliant episode, making the point that all you need are interesting stories about living in this world.

D'Angelo Barksadale living with the guilt that his apparent alcoholism cost someone their life.
Crazy Irish lady who's lost her mind.
Beth being a cold hardened survivor.

Plenty of set-up to interesting stuff, along with the walker now inside with them makes me truly wonder why we spent so long listening to Andrea/Lori and postering back and forth against the Governor last season.
Flag
I think it's because of Dale: after the way he died, it felt like all the characters should give it more thought before execute the next Randall.

Even Maggie tried to talk herself out of the C-section back when Lori died.
Flag
Maybe it's the same reason we were on the farm for a whole season.
Flag
I truly hope rick is going to go on some crazy binge again turn back come on...his hesitations has been getting people killed...a leader should be strong and stable at least most of the time...and what's up with him trying to turn Carl into some type of teeny bopper that ship sailed a long time ago...too many characters why are they not searching for a cure ..because one scientist said there wasn't a cure..I think we need a second opinion..lol
Flag
Since Michonne was treating Rick like her housewife, I guess its time for me to admit he might not the be leader anymore.
Flag
all of your last 4 points are spot on. Beth is a cutie & i definitely can't wait until those kids get eaten.

i noticed how much they showed the zombie with the bleeding eyes earlier in the ep, but did not make the connection to dead harry potter. interesting
Flag
UGH! I hate Beth even more now. Not enough that we have all the others being/becoming emotionally dead - now we are suddenly supposed to like Beth more just because she too is cold and emotionless now? I don't think so. That is not a reason to start to like someone. Especially not her. I hope SHE will be the one to die soon.

I want someone to care more in this show, not less. I don't want more crybabies either, but I want someone who FEELS, like the black guy (don't remember his name, sorry). He actually came across as the only decent and normal person in this episode (and Daryl for being tired of losing people) because he HATED killing. I mean, he can do it when it needs to be done like the rest of them, but at least he acted like a human being with feelings.

And poor boy who died... It should have been the guy under the shelves instead, because he looks like he'll be trouble in the future. Unless he is one of the casualties in the next episode of course...

I guess Carol didn't want Rick to know because finally Rick seems to become normal again, and he might not want children to have to become cold killers like Carl... :P He seemed to want Carl and the kids to be kids. Nothing wrong with that. Carol on the other hand seems to want them to be able to protect themselves, especially after what happened to Sophia. It was nice to see Rick starting to care a bit again. I hope he is done being crazy.

With the prison becoming less safe in the next episode, I hope they will soon go back on the road again. It'd be nice with another change of scenery.
More+
Flag
Why is it that everybody watches this show (and SoA I might ad) as if they wrote the screenplay/story and have so much invested only to see it not transpire as they envisioned it on-screen? Can't you people just be happy to have a tv show about zombies? It's like a super-elongated horror movie so just be happy with what you get because us fans of horror don't get a whole lot of quality!
That tv has come so far (thank you HBO) is the reason I prefer a good tv series over a movie.
Flag
Lol...it seems people are disappointed that there were no cannibals yet on screen and more human on human conflict over an extra slice of bread or a better looking camp, maybe a rape or two and some torture or some sort.
By the way, loved this first episode and hope they keep it up in the future
Flag
Oddly enough, the entire third season was HvH... I wonder if the same people who want more HvH are the same who say they are just going to stop watching now lol. Sure, it could've gone further (there was the rape of Maggie if I recall but it wasn't particularly gruelling) but I think the point was made.
I can't really say that I have disliked any episode... story-arc yes, but episode no. As long as there are still zombies and gore, I'll be watching without complaint :-) This one was a good one though, not on par with anything from season 1, but good.
Flag
Do you people even watch the show? What rape are you even talking about? There was no rape.
Flag
That is sexual assault, not specifically rape. Please refer a dictionary.
Flag
From the wiki for the tv show:
'He then resorts to a different approach, and orders her to take off her shirt. She refuses, but he says he will bring Glenn's hand in if she doesn't. She takes off her shirt, and he then makes her take off her bra. After she does, he bluffs raping her, coming from behind and pushing her face into the table. He then takes her to Glenn at gunpoint, still topless. Assuming he raped her, Glenn attempts to attack him.'
I watch a lot of shows and excuse me if I forgot that no penetration was involved... but I'd still call that RAPE.
Flag
Season 1 was creepy in an awesome way, the walkers were scary smart and there was no way of knowing just what they could do. I guess they got dumber as they started to rot but Morgan's wife being able to turn the door knob will be forever the scariest thing for me in this show.
Flag
When is Rick gonna pull it together and man up?
Flag
Gon head Tyrese.. cuz Karen (was that her name?) is fine as hell!
Flag
I'm still wondering what happened to her kid, Karen used to have an asthmatic son in Woodbury.
Flag
I thought the asthma kid was the one that Carl shot...but I could be remembering that completely wrong...so yeah.
Flag
No, that was Jody, a boy that actually went with the Governor to assault the prison. Noah Stayed behind in Woodbury because Andrea spoke for him.

Karen's son was basically the last person Andrea ever saved.
Flag
Ah, I guess that was just me hoping that Carl had killed the nameless asthmatic boy.
Flag
i didnt like how they killed off beths bf so fast after just introducing him.
Flag
I thouht the zombies looked awesome by the fence...nicely done..
There were a lot of new faces to get used too
Weird to see Rick so calm and relaxed doing some farming work and joke about it..
That woman looks like a zombie...pretty creepy
Zombies falling from the roof and a helicopter...that was cooly done..
Carol the badass teaching kids how to use a knive..
What a weird girl...her boyfriend died and all she says is ....ok...
All wit all was a nice beginning of the season..
Flag
I think Carol told Carl not to tell Rick because he wants them to grow up as normal as possible, which is stupid on Rick's part, their normal lives have come and gone, now they need to know how to survive.
Flag
Carl already knows how to survive and it didn't help his mental state much (some might want him turning all Shane for the sake of human drama but I for one am happy they toned down the crazy in him). Rick is still not 100% ok after all that happened to him last season and I guess he tries to avoid what happened to his son to happen to the other kids. I agree it's stupid but most parents are stupid when it comes to their children, they try to shelter them to the maximum believing they'll be able to protect them if anything happens. The fact that Carol has to do those lessons in secret is proof of that and even she is trying only because she experienced first hand how little parents can do when their children are in real danger.
However, the sensible thing by now (2 years have passed since the outbreak...shouldn't the corpses rot away for good any minute now?) would have been to set up a training program of some sorts for everyone of every age. They can still be sheltered but well prepared at the same time.

I was wondering... could it be that the Governor is luring the hordes to the prison. I mean, they just keep coming and that doesn't seem to make sense. If anything, the walkers should slowly lose their sense of smell, sight or hearing, or whatever helps them find food, as a result of decay, not having them become better. After all, the Woodbury people were all once the governor's loyal followers, some might even help from the inside...

More +
Flag
How did those zombies get on the roof?!? they have shown in the past they don't do good with ladders... otherwise they'd be called climbers instead of walkers!
Flag
THE CHOPPER WAS AT THE ROOF TAKING OFF, EVERYONE RUN UP BY THE STAIRS TRYING TO CATCH THE LAST FLIGHT, THEY OVERLOADED IT AND THE CHOPPER CRASHED KILLING MOST OF THE PEOPLE ON THE CHOPPER AND THE ROOF. THE REST IS HISTORY.
Flag
OOOOOOOOOOooooooOOOOOOH! that theory sounds most likely! you win!! :)
Flag
It's a department store, so clearly there must be some stairs. That's probably where they were heading to as well when they heard the bottle noise. The chopper crash made them all climb up the stairs. It's the most logical explanation.
Flag
Ahh, ffs, I clicked the thumbs-up on your plagarism.
Flag
Previously on AMC's The Climbing Dead...
Flag
I thought they were the people from the helicopter or the ones trying to get on the helicopter that died up there. The question is though, why did they stay up there? I mean, I would have expected them to wander off and fall from the roof by now.
Flag
it was definitely a head scratcher. Another possibility is that they were already on the roof escaping other zombies before they died...but since the whole thing was conceived as just a set piece, how they got on the roof was less important than how they got off it
Flag
If anything they were humans that climbed on the roof to get away from walkers on the ground, then could never get down because of walkers on the ground and people started turning into walkers. Helicopter probably crashed trying to get away or from landing trying to save some.
Flag
heh! ninja'd & better said! I should stop wandering off in the middle of writing alot of my posts. :)
Flag
Perhaps there are stairs leading to the roof or they were the passengers in the chopper when it crashed.
Flag
It was a fine premiere. Set up some interesting ideas, but I never go into this show expecting the same thing. I feel like the past two seasons were completely different than each other, so the initial slow pace of this episode reminded me of season 2. It wasn't an awful season, but it was pretty tough to get through, so I'm hoping the show can stay closer to season 3.

Otherwise, sometimes when I read these comments, I wonder what people expect from this show. It's not the comic book series and it's by no means Mad Men or Breaking Bad.

Calm down, sit back and be entertained.
Flag
Is your point that it's not a quality show so sit back and enjoy it? Kind of contradictory. There's nothing wrong with the fans wanting as much depth out of the show as it can manage to scrape together.
Flag
All I'm saying is that the show has been very inconsistent. So instead of nitpicking and tearing it apart, I've found it more enjoyable to just enjoy it for what it is.

As contradictory as it might seem, some of the least quality shows are the most enjoyable. Go figure.
Flag
A pretty good episode. Grades out at a B+ for me. I agree with some of the commentators. Kyle Gallner needed to stick around a bit. But I guess you take what you can get. Small nitpick.. Having Rick beyond the fence by HIMSELF seemed to be illogical.( after all he's been through). If there is a Mutating Zombie virus? That will AWESOME!! More Please!!
Flag
Off to a solid start, great job.
Flag
I wish Kyle Gallner had lasted longer. Poor Beaver can't catch a break.....
Flag
I really was hoping Kyle Gallner's character would last a little longer!
Flag
loved the new episode.

anyone else think, why don't they use camouflage aka chop off walkers hands and jaws - like Michonne did before, when they go out on a mission or do it to clear the grounds outside the prison walls.
Flag
I'm guessing because they would be rather slow and cumbersome, and the majority of their missions are quick.
Flag
You need to turn your brain wattage down some. This is the all-american-horror genre where people are unrealistically stupid, and hot girls with taut tats wear tight shirts and tighter skirts.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
After being such a huge fan of the comics, and craving season after season that they get to the heart of the matter in the same excellent fashion the original source material did, I've kinda given up on this show ever offering me what I want out of it. I know some people might like the B-Movie frights or whatever, but that's hardly been the point of the comic since the very beginning.

Sadly, one of the overarching themes of the comic (that the survivors are the titular walking dead, not the zombies) just doesn't seem to come through very well in the show at all. Reading through the comments here and seeing people ask for less human-on-human violence and more zombie-on-human violence is also disheartening. The place I am hoping for the story to go has very little to do with zombies and everything to do with humans trying to survive in spite of their baser impulses. Sadly, the way the show pulls its punches, we'll likely never get there.
Flag
I'm with you. I'm still gonna watch the show because it's nice cheap entertainment, but it absolutely pales in comparison to the comics. Bring on Issue 116!
Flag
When daryl and his amazing Zombie-Seal team killed all those Zombies in the store. Did they actually do anything in the store before they got attacked? Or did everyone just walk around paralyzed by the sight of all the alcohol?
Flag
It was a bit jarring to get the B-movie zombie storm. I wasn't sure at the time, but it was a pleasant departure.

The storyline I'm looking forward to is Michonne's. I'm still unsold on the decision for the Governor to survive season 3, but the idea of Michonne leaving for long periods of time, hunting him ceaselessly, is exciting.
Flag
I think Bob is an alcoholic, hence the wine and the jitters. Looks like the animals are dying from the virus now too and eating said dying animals will get ya good and zombified, poor Patrick Potter.

Also, I'm from Ireland, and I was very happy to see that at least one of us survived (although I'd like to think I'd bathe a bit more often)... and then she turned out to be Mary O'Crazypants from downtown crazytown, R.I.P. crazy Irish lady.

I'm liking the character development, keep it up please!!! Less human vs. human and more zombie vs. muti-dimentional characters that we actually care about.
Flag
Aha, remember the kid that died thanking Daryl for bringing a Deer in too? That along with the pig dying, seems like it's vegetarian or death from now on. I think I'd rather die.
Flag
and her hubbie heddie
Flag
Don't you hate it when you have that moment where you're watching your favorite show and you realize it's out of habit and not because you like it anymore. That's how I feel about walking dead; watching is more out of habit than actual desire. the last two season I waited until it was complete and then watched it all at one time. This season I tuned in to see what the new "Big Bad" would be that was teased by Kirkland and it's possibly the mutation of the virus; it wasn't very definitive hope to have clarity soon. So now you catch a cold and then you turn into a zombie? I'm not sold yet; will probably watch two more episodes and then decide if I'd rather wait to see it all at one time or will it be a weekly event that's must see; I have a sneaking suspicion I'll be watching each 1/2 a season at one time. I know they will break it up again.
Flag
This wasnt an awesome episode but it was decent. It seemed to pretty much pick up where they left off, though I wasnt expecting two people to die. I like that they brought another girl in but it sucks that "Mc Lovin" died. I'm just happy to have something to watch besides Boredwalk Empire. Its so damn lame this season, you need a pillow and a blanket. Even Margaret is back, God help us all.
Flag
I'll be glad when Jimmy's crazy ass momma gets the boot.
Flag
She sure is strugglin' right now. She's in love with "lovely heroin".
Flag
Alright. It's Obvious That Either The Virus Is Mutating Or A New Virus Has Come Along. BUT I Have An Important Question/Statement To Make. Storytime Patrick Got Sick And Died. The Pig In The Farm Got Sick And Died Possibly From The Walker Virus Possibly Swine Flu Implying That The Other Animals Could Have Been Infected. Daryl Was Eating Some Pork And Patrick Asked To Shake His Hand Which Then Daryl Proceeded To Lick His Fingers Before Shaking His Hand. So How Is It That Daryl Can Eat The Pig And Still Be Alright While Patrick Not. Is Daryl Immune? Maybe Patrick Had A Horrible Immune System And Got Sick Because Of An Actual Disease In Life. To Early To Tell But I Can't Wait To See How It Pans Out.

Also I Think Maggie TRULY Really Is Pregnant. Just Made It Up To Prevent Glenn From Worrying..

1 More Thing I Believe Bob Is An Undercover Worker For The Governor.
Flag
Weakest ones are always killed first. Patrick is just a little bit weaker than Daryl.
Flag
Viruses are strange things, some people just get lucky and don't get infected, and others get sick really quick. I'm pretty sure after eating road kill and rodents all his life Daryl would have a pretty kick ass immune system...
Flag
I hope the writers have thought out the entire season, because a virus is not something that any of these people are equipped to deal with.
I'm thinking it may be some sort of plague, considering there are corpses walking around and rotting, not to mention the ones that are just rotting in one place and seeping into the ground.
Flag
I was annoyed because the only Irish person likely to be on the Walking Dead was coo coo for coca puffs and I have no hope that I'm ever going to see a positive representation of the Irish on tv.
Flag
Just thank the lord she didnt say "begosh", "begorrah" or "top o' the morning".
Although her accent was quite grating, but at least it was genuine.
Flag
Given the context it's hardly apt to describe anyone in the show as a 'positive representation' of anything, but what about Ryan O'Reily (or Dean Winters if you prefer lol) in OZ. He was certainly a hero-like protagonist.
I think I need to watch OZ again... three of my last five or so comments on this site have been about OZ!
Flag
The episode was fine. Bit slow but raining Walkers was fun. I presume the new guys addiction issues will be a problem in the future. He really wanted that wine! Rick is still annoying, snap out of it Rick. Remember when you were almost as cool as Daryl.
So where are they getting the power to charge ipods and razors? How is there still an electricity supply??? They must be there a good while for veg to grow that much.
Flag
They have generators at the prison. I'm guessing they must siphon gas when they go out on runs, though that's unlikely to be a permanent option.
Flag
Staff
Disliked it. Probably more than I should. This show is regressing. We get it show, you can find new was to kill zombies but in the end, your viewers shouldn't be rooting for the zombies to eat all these new annoying characters.

With that being said I a bowing out. I'm taking some MRE's, a shotgun and some water, and heading west. Who is coming with me?

Flag
A few things. I watched the Talking Dead and Gimple was a guess so he filled in some of the blanks.

The episode takes place 6 months after the season finale.

Rick's behavior is a result of him realizing the affect that this world has had on himself and his son. That's why he brought in all the people from Woodbury. It is an attempt to reclaim their humanity. In a ways it sort of worked because you can see more softer edges with Carl's demeanor. He is less of a terminating killing machine than he was last season. Also, Rick was not naive about the Irish woman. He knew there was something up and gave her a warning beforehand, but at the same time he felt he had to extend an Olive branch of trust. In addition, the three questions Gimple said reflects a weeding out process on who they take or don't take.

It also interesting noting the difference between the two sets of kids from Rick's camp and Woodbury. Carl and Beth have had to grow calluses to dealing with the world around them due to life on the road pre-prison while the kids for Woodbury were insulated from the threats and are not aware of the full danger they pose. Beth not upset about the death of her boyfriend makes sense given that anyone can go at anytime in her world and there really isn't time to be caught up in grief because the world doesn't give you that opportunity. Carl has no problem naming the pigs because he doesn't view them as a threat and they are a bridge to his old life, whereas naming the Zombies, which are a real threat, is different.

Gimple confirmed that the roof caving in on the shop is a result of the helicopter and water damage. He said that he wanted to show that even though the group was careful in avoiding direct Zombie confrontations there are things that will happen that are out of their control.

This is just speculation and not a spoiler but I think that they are dealing with a case of Swine Flu given that the pig was ill and died and Patrick showed the same symptoms. The threat this season seems more internal in that anyone of them can die at anytime from this and become a danger to the community.

More+
Flag
Great points....
Flag
Excellent comments DavidMaynard1. You should be reviewing this show. I'm annoyed with the fact that Tim missed all the Rick "character development", or is playing dumb to it. Why would Rick be mad about the self defence training for children? He's seen how his child's lost innocents almost turned that child into a psychopath. As well I believe that the Rick not carrying a gun is a sign that all the killing has caught up to him.
Flag
Good points. Re: the mystery illness, it doesn't need to be a virus to make people and swine ill. Cholera and typhoid both affect humans and pigs and are spread by rats and similar vermin to food and water supplies. The prison has vats of standing water which are breeding grounds for bacteria. While typhoid has a far longer gestation period, weeks rather than hours or days, cholera has been known to kill children in a matter of hours after exposure, and causes nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

I also think your point about the differences between the Woodbury children and Beth and Carl are quite insightful. The Woodbury children are sheltered and still very much children but Carl and Beth have lost their innocence in many ways, they're both a bit jaded and cynical. I found Beth's reaction to Zach's death to be a signal of her unwillingness to become attached, and therefore emotionally invested, in anyone outside their original core group. Similarly, Carl spends his time with his father, or Michonne when she is on site, but seems not to have developed much of a relationship with the other children now residing at the prison. Even Patrick, likely a year or so older than Carl, admits with little shame to Carl that he enjoys story time, even if it is for kids, as Patrick has managed to retain some measure of his childhood even in the stark and horrifying world they now exist within, while Carl can no longer relate to his peers, preoccupied as he is with survival and safety. No doubt Rick has spent a good deal of time since opening the prison to the Woodbury survivors attempting to make Carl feel safe enough to be a kid again but it may be that after having to put his mother down and kill another boy in the woods that Carl is incapable of going back.
More +
Flag
Cholera?! Typhoid?! Clearly neither is the case here. Cholera may kill faster, but it kills through dehydration secondary to MASSIVE amounts of fluid lost through its characteristic "rice water diarrhoea" - unless I'm missing something, it didn't look like that's what Harry Potter had.

If the transmission mode is through ingestion of contaminated food/water, bacterial infection would be much more likely. However this seems unlikely as no one else has exhibited ANY symptoms. Also, GI tract disturbances (i.e. diarrhoea + vomiting) tends to be an early symptom which did not appear to be the case.

The more likely mode of transmission would be an airborne contagion, which would pretty much be exclusively viral. I mean, how else would Violet the pig contract the same disease as walker(s) that it has not been in contact with? Also, the impact of the threat would be much more credible, as you cannot simply avoid it by boiling your water and cooking your meat more thoroughly.
Flag
Great pilot ! The sense of community in the prison was fun and the kids learning how to use knife from Carol was cool.
Flag
I liked this start, but it was totally different from the start of last season. It was a bit slow and relaxed at the beginning but then it stripped any positive outlook on life away throughout. I'm a bit disappointed with the Rick sub-plot since I thought the Blair Witch was going to be a cannibal. It kind of fit the theme of crops/farming and the pig dying. The zombie rain delivered though. Can't wait to see how the disease influences the future.
Flag
Yo, the supermarket scene was hilarious. Hail to the rain of dead!
Flag
I enjoyed it. Zombies are still retarded(as they are by nature),only threat,if show needs them to be,so I am happy,if there really will be some actual threat to these people on this show.

Credit,where credit is due: that joke with Michonne was a killer joke(cardboard saying Monster savings). Still love Michonne and Carl are still the best. Oh,Daryl is right there,but his haircut is just stupid.
Flag
I love this episode at least there's the zombie action that I kinda missed almost last season anyway loved the supermarket fight scenes Daryl, Michonne and Glenn are my absolute faves.
Flag
If I didn't know better, I'd say this was a mid-season setup episode.

I've been dying for this show to embrace it's characters more and highlight the "zombie kill of the week" less. And yes, there was much more dialogue in this episode, but I really didn't get much of a take away from any of it.

Since we haven't heard much from Beth, I have no idea if her stone cold personality is a result of her home being over run, living in a prison, having other people trying to kill her and the people she cares about...or, if she's been broken since trying to kill herself. Ya, remember that? It's the last thing I remember of her. So yes, it's nice to see her actually get some dialogue, but being basically a one shot deal, I have nothing to contrast it to. I can't really use her initial back and forth with The Flash because it read both as coy or apathy. No real barometer.

Rick, you're an idiot. Putting aside that ridiculous field trip, you don't carry a gun any more? Why? You're back to wondering if "there's a way back"? Why? And as crazy as that chick was, there was nothing accomplished by their talk that wasn't accomplished WAY better with Morgan in 'Clear'.

Out of curiosity...if they hooked up a boom box to a couple of car batteries to draw the walkers away from the parking lot, wouldn't that also draw the zombies that were on the roof? Wouldn't they just walk off the edge?

So, there's some new or variant virus that kills not only people, but pigs? Really? This group might be smart enough to survive this long fighting people and zombies, but fighting a cross species (presumably air born) bacteria? That's just going to lead to some absurd plan that makes previous absurd plans look reasonable. I'm concerned.

New show runner, slightly different feel to the show, but same ol' Walking Dead.

More+
Flag
In regard to Beth specifically, I think what you have there is a minor case of not seeing the forest through the trees. While you're wondering what single thing turned her cold, (though I prefer the term 'pragmatic') logically, it would be a combination of everything you mentioned & then some. Her many experiences overall have forced her over time to truly adapt from the world she once knew to the world she lives in now. She's come to terms that there's no going back to society as she knew it & is simply dealing with her reality in a realistic manor...Rick on the other hand, seems to be knee-jerking in the opposite direction based on the overall guilt of his past actions & desperately wants his kid (and the other kids) to retain whatever portion of their childhood they have left, even to the determent of their survival.

This was proven when Rick told Carl to attend story time even after Carl objected, saying it was just for kids with Rick replying, "Exactly!" & also when Carol was caught covertly teaching the other kids survival techniques...So, I agree with ya on Rick. He's being an idiot.

This idiocy will come into play as the season unfolds. Count on it :)
More +
Flag
It's tough to see the forest for the trees when they don't get any screen time.

Logic would dictate that there's been a culminating effect. Logic would also dictate that trying to kill herself was a life changing moment that completely changed her outlook. Kinda like how Lori dying was a defining moment for Rick that completely altered his path.

When you completely ignore a character and then show the slightest development, the audience will have to interpret. It one thing to be subtle and play for intentional interpretation...it's another when no sign of development has been shown.

But, this is what TWD does. Take the path of least resistance, cut corners, fill in some details on The Talking Dead and hope the rest is ignored {shrug}
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members