A The Walking Dead Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on AMC

So I checked the calendar on my Palm Pilot today and WOW The Walking Dead returns for Season 4 on Sunday! How did I not know that? It snuck up on me just like all those times zombies have snuck up on the survivors when they clearly should have seen, heard, and smelled the bastards coming. But in this case, instead contracting some virus that will turn me into a biter, I have to remember what happened in Season 3 and write up some hopes for Season 4. (Hmmm, maybe I'd prefer the zombie virus... J/K I love writing about this show!) 

Don't get me wrong, I like The Walking Dead, but the show can be a pretty frustrating watch at times. So here we go, a quick wishlist for Season 4. Hopefully it's not too late for AMC to read this and schedule some reshoots if the episodes that are already filmed don't comply with my requests. 

I remember Season 3 being very all over the place, with some great episodes ("This Sorrowful LIfe," "Clear") sandwiched between some real stinkers ("Prey," "Welcome to the Tombs"). Which brings me to my first wish:

BE MORE CONSISTENT

Three seasons in, there two things I'd say when describing the show to people who haven't seen it: 1.) It's about zombies, and 2.) It's wildly inconsistent. It seems like The Walking Dead can't sustain excellence for more than a couple hours, and I tend to have an uneasy feeling going into each new episode. Will it be great, as the series has proved it can be from time to time? Or will it be a deflating disaster, ruining momentum by chasing Andrea around the countryside as she runs between Woodbury and the prison? The Walking Dead isn't under the strain of a full 22-episode network TV season; this is a 16-episode run with a break in the middle. Clearly, The Walking Dead could be one of television's finest dramas if it ironed a few things out, and achieving a consistent level of quality is the first step.

Some of the inconsistency of Season 3 could be attributed to The Walking Dead's fractured storytelling. Half of it took place at the prison, and half of it took place at Woodbury. To which I say....

KEEP THE GROUP TOGETHER

Not only do we want to see the survivors turn zombies into pieces of zombies, we also want to see how they deal with the stress of survival—and more specifically, how dodging flesh-eaters impacts the way they interact with each other. While Andrea's cushy life at Woodbury made for an interesting contrast relative to the struggling prison folk, that's about the only positive thing that came out of her storyline. Removing someone from the group for almost an entire season doesn't add drama to the core of the show, it splits it up, and guess what? The Woodbury side of things wasn't all that compelling. A lot of people hated Andrea for everything she did in Season 3, but the writers deserve a lot of the blame for choosing to separate her and making her act that way. I bet we would have been equally disappointed if any other character had been in Andrea's place. 

While the Woodbury story did introduce the Governor as the main threat to Rick and friends, and while that storyline had its moments, is a human threat really what want from The Walking Dead? It's not what *I* want...

MAKE THE WAR HUMANS VS. ZOMBIES, NOT HUMANS VS. HUMANS

There's a Catch-22 with The Walking Dead and its ambition to be a never-ending zombie movie: It can't only feature people running away from zombies (or can it? I'd still watch). So it's tempting for the writers to explore how humans can be the real monsters, and to create a really bad dude who's power hungry in this lawless new world. But the Governor vs. Rick was too black and white and easy. It was them vs. us, their clubhouse through the woods vs. our fort over here. The Governor was a terrible crazy person who kept his zombie daughter in a tiny closet, for crying out loud, yet he spent all his time trying to prove he wasn't crazy when we already knew the truth. 

We don't need an outsider to add drama. Because the show will be much more efficient is it can just...

KEEP THE DRAMA WITHIN THE GROUP

The real drama is going to come from in-fighting within the group (miss you, Shane), so let the zombies push the gang into a corner and watch as their different stances on survival bubble to the surface and expose deeper problems. Yes, that already happened in Season 1 and Season 2 thanks to Shane, but how great was it to have a "bad" guy you could root for? That way we all got our man vs. undead fix, and the tension between survivors was always present—as opposed to what happened in Season 3, when we were waiting for a war between two different camps that never happened.

What's more, we need to see some more personality within the group. The Walking Dead has a fairly large cast of characters, yet only a few of them are defined enough to really stand out. So, please, The Walking Dead, I beg of you...

STOP WASTING CHARACTERS

Heading into Season 4, we still don't know much about Carol or Beth, other than one of them needs some manly attention and the other one sings. Both of them are just hanging around waiting to die, and in the meantime they'll taking turns holding Lil' Asskicker. But many of the show's other characters aren't in much better shape. The Walking Dead has always put more emphasis on situations than on the characters who experience them; when the show does try a character-centric approach, it ends up with Rick crying or taking phone calls from ghosts. There's plenty of room for The Walking Dead to define its characters within the throngs of survival stress, and the show needs to figure out how to do so. Remember how much we learned about Carl, Michonne, Rick, and Morgan in the excellent episode "Clear"? More of that kind of development, please. Otherwise all we've got is a group of horror-movie characters biding time until they're eaten. That should be the main difference between The Walking Dead and Generic Zombie Movie, because the medium of television allows more time to make us care about these people before the show turns them into zombie chow. Make us like 'em, and then stand back and watch as we cry our eyes out when a zombie bites their nose off. 

There's one character on the show who's perfect for an arc like this, and I have high hopes that his story will really develop this season. So, finally...

MAKE CARL THE BADASS HE DESERVES TO BE

In the past, we've seen glimmers of The Walking Dead taking Carl in a direction we've always anticipated. He's an impressionable kid who's likely to adapt to this world quicker than others because he doesn't know any better. But his roller coaster ride through the show's first three seasons has dipped and looped through lots of parental nuisance ("Stay in the house, Carl!") and brooding brattiness, with only an occasional meaningful trigger pull in between. Now is the time to push his arc hard and let him mature into whatever dark survivalist he's going to be. Actor Chandler Riggs is growing up fast; if The Walking Dead doesn't do this soon, he's going to be TV's wussiest 18-year-old.

And there you have it, folks, a couple of changes I'd like to see The Walking Dead make in Season 4. Follow these easy steps and watch the Teen Choice Awards roll in, AMC! 

What's on YOUR wishlist for the show? 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/3/2016

Season 6 : Episode 16

99 Comments
Comments (99)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
There's already been 2 human v human storylines in the comics, there's only so much you can do with zombies.
Flag
First of all I want more plot and storyline! I want them to actually do something other than just gather food and shit. Character development is fine, but I feel there has already been too much talk and whining in this series, with some zombie-killing gore thrown in between. That's why I liked Milton. Him being a scientist offered some potential to add more virus-related plot, but then they killed him off. I also liked the CDC part of season 1, but then they blew that place up...

For me it is important that they don't kill off many more of the main characters. We need some constants to actually CARE about. Beth is expendable though. She's boring. Daryl is off-limits! So is Rick.

Carl is a little douche. If he is going to be a likable badass, then they'll need to make him less cold. He shot a kid in cold blood as a child... If they don't make him better than that, he'll just seem like another Governor-type of character = a bad guy.

I would like to see more good people actually, more smiles and more helping one another. Why? Because I want them to stick together and focus more on the real threat - the zombies! And most important - what to do with them. PLOT! There are limits to how long it's fun to watch "survival".
More+
Flag
Despite all the Andrea hate, I would of liked to have seen an Andrea and Milton team up, they were good together and their last moments were almost romantic from a disturbed perspective.
Flag
Disagree about the humans vs humans thing. the interesting thing about a zombie apocalypse would be seeing how it changes people. the problem is that the show tried to do that but they just gave us a bad guy like the governor and had all our group be the good guys. Really they should be running into a lot more groups where people have just gone nuts and groups that are running better than ricks group
Flag
Yeah, I doubt the Teen Choice Awards are the end goal for them as they develop the show
Flag
I love more zombie than human drama c'mon the Governor is a good character but if he is the only threat this show will not differ from any other shows with human conflict. More Daryl, Glenn and Mischonne less Rick drama.
Flag
The most important thing is for ambiguous nit pickers like this to stop sharing their UNinsightful opinions.
Flag
Wishlist: Stop killing off the black people
Flag
You don't have to be black to be killed on this show. This is a show about death. Literally. So people will continue to die, irregardless of skin tone. I don't think Michonne will die, because she has so many fans the show would probably lose lots of viewers.
Flag
Think of all the black males that have died to make way for another black male to play the same character or a similar character type. I know that characters will die but it's interesting which characters are considered disposable on this show. Can't imagine a show that takes place in the South having so few black characters. *shrugs* Glenn, Maggie, Michonne, and Carl are the only characters I'm holding out hope for.
Flag
its not likely any of them will die. look how long Carol's been around. Its almost as if her character exists just for context.

the again a show will kill off a heroic core cast member just to make the audience feel something. Laurie Holden specializes in playing heroic characters who crash and burn. Misery and despair are her specialties. IDK why this is blue.
Flag
Totally. That and she's a great character from the comics. Her story will get explored. To the OP there is still hope, they seem to be adding all these new characters. I need to drive a few miles up the road and try to be an extra one day.
Flag
I miss Shane.
Flag
I agree with the humans vs humans part. I feel like it should be more zombie vs humans what's the point of calling it the walking dead and having the plot about zombies and we barely see them
Flag
I understand it should be humans versus humans but one thing writers forgot it the story pans out in a zombie world where humans are a minority.
There should be more cases of huge zombie herds being seen or engaged ( read bigger budget)
Flag
I agree with Tim: HAZ (Humans Against Zombies). Then:
- Let Rick use his British accent.
- Let Michonne being more like The Bride in Kill Bill.
- Let Carl lean towards being Bill in Kill Bill.
- Let Daryl watch some episode of Arrow, or get extra training with Slade
- Let glenn and maggie have all the sex they want.
I am done.
Flag
Wow. I actually agree with more than one of the wishes, although there are some not on the list. They can make Rick a little crazy but I think they've gone over the top with this whole mentally unstable bowl of jello drama queen persona. I mean, of all the people in the group he was the only one who use to have a job where he was trained to keep order and kill people (not zombies) so I hope and wish he gets his shit together. Everyone on the show has had bad stuff happen to them and have had to kill loved ones ect. So he killed his best friend because his best friend was trying to kill him, and lost his wife before they could fix their marriage, boo hoo, I mean if your wife thought you were dead would you rather have her hook up with your best friend who you know could take care of her and your son or some random person like the governor? I mean, he still has his son.
Flag
Carl is already a bad ass. Yea he's little, but so what. He's hard as hell. He had to be harder,than the others because he's just a kid, with death and disease surrounding him. He had to kill his own mom.
Flag
I simply don't understand why people would want Carl snuffed out. Maybe it's because I'm familiar with alot of the source material, but even if I wasn't, Carl is on deck to become the most compelling character in the show. He's old enough to remember the world as it was & young enough to grow into & completely accept the world as it is now on a level that his elders never will...Just imagine what 'Lil Asskicker will eventually be like in the world when she's older, with no frame of reference on how the world used to be. I reckon she'd be one scary, unrelatable chick to say the least...but for now, Carl's got a frame of reference we can relate & latch onto
Flag
I have one more problem with this show and that is basically.. what are they fighting for?? There is no cure, there is only survive until they eventually die in which they themselves turn into zombies. It's pretty pointless.. I need them to give us an endgame, something worth surviving for.
Flag
I agree. A series like this won't last forever. If the producers were smart, they would start putting that endgame in motion now so they could write an amazing dramatic buildup. It's OK for a 2 hr zombie movie to end with hopelessness but I wouldn't want that for a series....especially not this one.
Flag
I've been fed up with Beth for ages and really want to see Carol go somewhere. She's been mostly stagnant since season 2 after losing Sophia - I really want to see where she and Daryl go. I agree that we need more in-group story and conflict than outside.
Flag
I already like where Carol and Daryl are going because its so against type as it is, I've never seen a dynamic like theirs on TV.

So far, they have mourned for a daughter they never shared, they have remained faithful to a relationship they haven't labeled and go back home to each other despite there was no roof over their heads.

What they have as interesting to me as what they could be.
Flag
Honestly, Carl should die. Kids do not survive apocalypses...
Flag
...or instead of dying, maybe a disgruntled Carl could run away and join another rag tag group of humans. Let a year pass, the actor gets older and comes back in the next season for a reunion/confrontation with his old group. It would be like Merle all over again.
Flag
just sayin, but apocalypse doesn't mean the end of the world...simply the end of the world as we know it
Flag
Staff
Better weapons.
Flag
We just had the big bad human last season. We dont need another so fast or it will be like dexter going from one big bad to the next.

I say keep zombies the focal point for at least half the season. Also no more annoying lead females plz. Andrea and Lori are finally dead lets move on from the nagging bitches.
Flag
I like the human vs. human aspect, I just think TWD doesn't do that well enough - Woodbury and the Governor were mildly entertaining in the beginning, then this storyline just got stuck in a rut. Also, most of shows don't benefit from long seasons and TWD is definitely one of them - the writers probably mistake development for stalling. When I first heard the series would have 16 episodes in the 3rd season, I was excited; after watching the first episode after the break, I had the impression we would be stuck on "Hershel's farm" again - and that is how I felt for the most of the rest of the season. What a waste
Flag
I'm invested enough as it is, which was surprising because I'm not fond of the zombie genre.

The characters caught my interest because Carol is not the kind of girl you find on The Resident Evil movies, Glenn and Maggie the couple you find on the CW supernatural shows or Daryl & Rick the kind that easily make friends.

I grieved for Merle because he won me over with all his flaws, Andrea because it was a tragedy after Milton, Dale & Amy, T-Dog because he was a regular Joe anyone could relate to.

Even the Governor is shaped in such way I could see the father he used to be, even if the show didn't delve into it the way it did on Carl's childhood before he shot his mother.

To me, the show is about reaching that breaking point where the characters lose what defined them and make the choice to become animals or remain human beings.

So long as they keep the characters interacting, I would say development would come natural for them.
Flag
They just need to stop dragging. It's clear to me that they want to keep a fair distance between the latest book and the latest ep, however season 3 proved to me that this forced dramatic "delay" creates more problems than it possibly solves.
Flag
Make Carol's lesbianic haircut less awkward?!? Surely some of the extras from the woodbury group are handy with a pair of scissors? Oh..I also want Michonne to talk more and I want I don't want them to F up another character like they did with Andrea (miss u gurrl)!

I do hope they've made the zombies scarier and more dangerous. I still can't believe they had Andrea being ambushed by a walker in broad daylight! In a very spacious environment too! Like omgwtf!!!
Flag
from my point of view, they should all have carol's haircut
Flag
I didn't say that they should make her hair long as in dawson's creek-long, just more post-apocalyptic chic! I personally think that only Carol can own a Carol haircut and work it. Imagine Michonne with Carol's haircut? Although the actress who plays her looks good with short hair, but not Michonne!
Flag
I agree, the only reason I tend to accept the longer hair cuts is because they don't look like they have just come out of a shampoo comercial.
Flag
My reply was actually for you. lol
Flag
Is there any show you have done a review for that you like every episode just wondering
Flag
I'm with you Tim. I love this show but it is very frustrating. Definitely need to find some consistency. We all know the Woodbury story was poorly done. It was a good idea, just had bad execution. We really do need to see more character development from our main group.
I really do miss Shane. They guy may have been an asshole but he made the right call pretty much every time. When it came to survival, Shane was the real leader in my book...
Flag
Just dont kill darell off... lol
Flag
I only agree with one of the points in the article and that is to make carl a badass. For me the biggest threats for the group going forward is other humans and their continued way of life. Killing zombies unless they come in a hurd should be pretty easy and not very challenging after 3+ seasons.
Flag
To me is not the threat in itself, but the impending feeling that is coming. Ironically enough, I'm more scared when Glenn & Maggie have a regular run as boyfriend and girlfriend, Daryl is coming back home to Carol or Beth and Carl get to act like children again.

I just know it will not last, I just know it will be like Amy & Andrea's fishing day all over again.
Flag
Yet Andrea couldn't take down one.
Flag
I'd like to include the general smartening up of the off camera crew, specifically the writers, director(s) and show producers/runners and tell them to quit taking the path of least resistance when it comes to common sense.

The writers far and away are the most guilty of making characters do and say stupid sh*t...but there's SOOO much of that. Enough!

Every time a zombie materializes out of thin air and puts a character in danger for absolutely no reason, I hang that on the director. Enough!

Producers/runners...you know what you've done and there's no need to scold you any further, but smarten the F up already.

This show is a goldmine and could easily one of the best on TV...but not until it stops regularly crapping all over itself and causing concussions in its viewership due to repeated facepalming and head shaking.
Flag
I think they should keep the show as close to the comic as possible.

And ofc it has to be humans vs humans. I mean, zombies are cool, but they have zeo personality, right? It would get old real quick.
Flag
Clear was the best hour after the Pilot.The writers had to focus on character development , 2-3 persons per episode ,slow the pace so when the zombies come into play the viewer will be abstracted and the scenes have more impact than killing zombies all the time.Finaly bring Morgan back (Lennie James rules).Sorry for my poor English
Flag
from now on i wont read anything else tim says on TWD... sometimes i feel like he is just hating. all the other reviews on other show are accurate but i cant seem to agree with him on anything he says on TWD .. weird
Flag
Usually I think Tim spews garbage in his articles. This article however may mark the first time I pretty much agreed with him all the way through. The show is entertaining but very fractured.
Flag
Of course every series has its issues..Not every episode can be great( lord knows i've had my complaints.. Remember looking for the kid in S2).This show is trying to balance Zombie kills,Horror, AND multiple character development . If you want ALL the characters "fleshed" out from the main group you'll need more than 16 episodes a year. The best show i have seen do that was Lost( and they started with 22 eps a year.) Unless this show totally switches up the formula expect more of the same for S4. Some GREAT Some Bad..and some middle of the road eps..BUT it will be compelling and EVERYBODY will be watching!
Flag
Kill Carl.
Flag
He's already dead inside, I think its more interesting to see if Judith & Beth's emotional CPR works on him or Carl remains a child soldier forever.
Flag
Personally I've never watched this show expecting it to be super great. I'm here for the action but that's not to say that I'd be pissed if we get genuinely good character-driven stories instead of Team A vs. Team B and sometimes zombies that have skulls made of paper that you can pierce with a wooden stick.

Personally I think that the Telltale's version of The Walking Dead was the best. It is highly overhyped but the characters were great, the relationships within the survivors were interesting and the conflicts within the group were the thing that made the story shine. The characters were ALL gray (except for the kid who was silent but optimistic and basically ALL good) and in the end, the game never sank to the nihilistic levels of the comics. There was hope, everyone didn't turn to a psychopath to survive even though everyone ended up doing bad things.

I agree with the human vs. human thing. In my books it would be more interesting IF the villain is not purely a villain. Little grayness never hurt anyone. However it's the inner conflicts of the group that are the most fascinating.
More+
Flag
Prey was good, it had classic horror written all over it.

Not that I disagree with anything on this wishlist but people complain too much about this show.
Flag
I liked Prey too.
Flag
Make the show scary! The scariest thing about the show is the intro.
Flag
I'm having a hard time watch the TV show as the comic books are so much better in terms of consistency, character development and so on. I'm not someone who is used to read comic books but there's something about them that is very compelling (and dark).
I agree with all you points except for the war between human.... if you think about it in a realistic way Humans are much more dangerous than Zombies. Zombies are driven by hunger and only hunger whereas Humans want power, domination, sex, leverage and so on... it doesn't make any sense to make it all about Zombies...
Flag
Finally someone understands the problems with the TV series, the comic is more consistent and the character development is more compelling.
Flag
I agree that Humans vs Humans is how it should be. It's what the source material is all about. It's always supposed to have been a character driven drama, that just happens to be set in a zombie apocalypse. That being said, they do have a long way to go to get the character development up to the level of greatness of the comics.
Flag
Good TV shows are good because the characters are good, so the first thing they need to address in Season Four is improving the other members of the gang.
Carol and Beth are underused, I didn't even think Carol was going to make it to Season Four. We saw a little of Beth when she tried to kill herself in Season Two and during the back end of Season Three we've seen glimpses of who Carol has become since Season One, but these two really need to be thrown into the action so that we can really see what they are made of.
Hershel is another who has fallen by the wayside. We learnt a lot about him in Season Two but since losing his leg he's basically become a bit-part sounding board for Rick. First of all, they need to find him a prosthetic leg, there must be plenty knocking around, I doubt the zombies really need theirs, and as bad a pun as this is, his missing leg has been too big a crutch for his character. Hershel has regressed rather than progressed. He needs to establish himself as the second in command, who else is it going to be? Daryl is my favourite character, but he's a soldier not a leader, he's the one you send off on risky solo missions not the one to ensure the group have shelter, food and water. Hershel needs to re-establish some dominance but only having one leg seems to be hindering him, when in reality it shouldn't - he does still have a strong voice and a commanding presence.
I'm also hoping that a couple of new characters (Teen Wolf's Mom perhaps?) can really start to mix up the group a bit. One of the best things about Season Two was the small divisions in the group. There was Hershel's group, but there was also the split between Rick and Shane and the members of the group were starting to choose sides. The tension between our survivors was pretty much what saved those very boring 'Where's Sophie?' episodes that nearly killed the show. With Rick realising that he can't be a dictator and deciding that the group should have a more Democratic way about it, this is a great time for a new strong leader-type of character to join the group and revive some of the inner tensions that I hope are still there. And why not make it a woman? Would Rick be so quick to stab HER in the gut? The female characters a treated a bit crappy on this show, it's time for them to be created equal (so to speak).
I'm also hoping that they get forced to leave the prison... quickly! The setting is great for some 'killing zombies in dark tomb-like corridors' but they are too safe in there. I hope the first few episodes kill off most of the Woodbury survivors (whilst leaving a little connon-fodder with the group) and drives them back out on the road and I'd love to see them have to tackle a big city environment again. When the group is on the road they are travelling from one situation to another, never knowing what's coming up next, whereas at the prison they are holed up safe and sound waiting for the trouble to come to them, which is boring.
So there you go, three things on my wish list, improve the groups lesser used characters, re-introduce some internal tension (they all get along too well) and get them out of that comfy prison and "back on the road to nowhere".
Oh yeah and MORE ZOMBIES!
More+
Flag
Tim and other commentors here are saying to keep the within the gourp, yet I can't help thinking if they had kept them travelling as a small band the same people would be complaining that it was dull and making sarcastic remarks about how the group are wandering around and not encountering anyone.

I don't think the governor was one dimensional, we saw a man who started out with great ideals and got lost along the way. It raised a lot of questions about morality in extreme situations.

I do agree they need to open out and develop the characters, but overall I really enjoyed the last series and can't wait for the new one
Flag
Kill Hershel, kill Carl, less Rick = less annoying people = less moralizing talking = more action = finally grat show.
Flag
I think you missed the mark, it's not about humans vs zombies. It's about humans vs humans. The problem is, which you pointed out perfectly, is that it can't be black vs white.

The governer was bad, Rick was good.
That makes it boring and stupid.

Shane vs Rick actually made sense. Give us internal politics. Give us moral choice vs survival. That is what this show needs.

It can't be about the zombies. The zombies are boring for a long term tv show, they are not much of a threat. After so long, as it should be, every single member of the group can kill Zombies blindfolded unless they are tied up (sorry Andrea).
Flag
But then again, too much of humans vs. humans makes the show exactly like every other show. It's not fun to only watch drama with characters that are all the same, because guess what, grey zones make EVERYONE the same = half good, half bad. It waters out every character and make it harder to separate their "personalities". That's what's boring to watch, and in these modern times' shows it is not original at all when it is nothing but grey zones. Sometimes it really is as simple as bad vs. good. It's a shame they killed off Dale, I feel they needed him.

I IS about the zombies... and survival and the people. There is no reason why it can't be about all those things, but they need more plot than just human drama. Humans being humans' biggest threat is the same as in pretty much every show = they kill each other, they rape, they steal, they lie, they betray... same old, same old. It's like a soap set in zombie times.

For a long term TV show it will be extremely boring to only watch whining, Rick going loco and new groups of (crazy) people entering the scene only to get killed off. How about learning more about the virus, how it happened, why it happened, learn more about it and what to do about it, try to solve the crisis, make the world a better place again... Some actual plot!
More +
Flag
I thought the third season was relatively weak. Zombies took a back seat and the killing of them became perfunctory. The Governor is dull, I've seen that type of character a million times before in other shows. An intimate group's survival against the zombies, that's where the tension lies and that's when this show is strongest.

Flag
i want it to be as intense as season 3
Flag
I agree wholeheartedly with the Carl becoming an uber badass because we have seen glimpses of this... Take that to the next level.
Flag
Part of this shows greatness is showing the changes and adaptations of these characters in this world. I was blown away at the start of the season where they raid some house with muffled guns and don't utter a single word of dialogue for what seemed ages. Just running purely on survival mode as you would, so much stuff on this show that is transmitted without the need for pointless or lame exposition for an audience used to being spoon fed everything.

Flag
I'm honestly looking for more zombie kills, The Walking Dead has always been about the people rather than the cinematic kills but every viewer has to admit, episodes with heavy death tolls on the zombie's side is always a good episode. Like in the season 3 premier and they had to kill all the zombies in the prison, including the ones in armor, that might be my favorite episode of the series. It might sound shallow but book end the character moments with a creative kill or two.
Flag
I can forgive this show anything pretty much, I must find something liberating about a show where characters shoot zombies in the head. Even it's worst shows have something I like about them.

I liked Prey and the Governor's hunt for Andrea around the warehouse. It was like a flashback to some 80s horror with the whole sharp noises and eye-patch thing and the sicking of a zombie horde on him. It was ridiculous that he caught her just outside the fence and that she left the truck to go on foot but it was almost like some fairytale/nightmare but I can see why the episode was unpopular.

I mean the trailer for next season looks awesome, but ultimately there is only so much you can really do with zombies. Being under siege wherever, the farm, prison, barricaded town. Travelling through a Z.A. Getting to the boat/plane/zombie free haven. Dealing with infected people or people in denial about infected people eg. relatives etc.

I mean honestly if you had a small group you could have someone use a crane to drop a cage in the middle of a street with a siren attached to attract zombies and someone inside with chain-mail and a packed lunch just spears zombies all day. End of day crane the cage up and someone takes a shift tomorrow until you run out of zombies and only if they don't all decompose to mush on their own given enough time. Pretty much your biggest threat in a Z.A. would be other people with sinister designs.
More+
Flag
All I've got to say about your article, speak for YOURSELF because you do not speak for me so STOP using the word, 'WE'.

Ha, that rhymes.

Flag
Tim, I'm very surprised you are against the idea of other humans being a threat/enemy. Where is the variety in it only being Walkers? The group is very aware of how they operate. They are easy to anticipate and predict. That alone isn't much of a challenge for the group. I was quite bored with the season 2 finale when the hoard of walkers descended on the farm. The high quality of marksmanship in that scene was painfully unrealistic and thus took away the tension completley. The Governor was a good change of pace. He is/was an interesting character that made things interesting because he was not only a total psychopath, but he was also completley two face. He was a master manipulator that kept the group guessing.

That being said, I agree completley with your criticism of character development in this show. It's rather poor. Among the group left standing, only Daryl (my favorite) and Rick have any sort of depth and range. Carl is getting there, but not quite. The rest of them are a yawn. They could all be killed and replaced for all i care.
Flag
Has everyone heard about the Walking Dead spinoff show that's in development? I can't decide whether I think it'll be good or terrible.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/walking-dead-companion-series-works-629848
Flag
Yeah, I'm a bit worried about that one.
Flag
If the writers can consistently do it correctly... the human vs human vs zombie battle would be awesome all the time. Consistency AMC! Can you keep the same shower runner for more than a season? Will you stop writing yourself through stupid plot holes to move a story along?

Thanks for pointing out the lack of character development too. It reminds me of the nagging problem Dexter writers always had. LOUSY secondary character development., it was like they didn't even care after a few seasons. I hope WD gets it together, they still have a chance to tie up the loose ends. One thing I am happy about though, the tv adaption not being afraid to differentiate between the comics. Keeps me guessing.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members