A The Walking Dead Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on AMC
The Walking Dead is an absolute ratings jugglenaut juggernaut, with no signs of slowing down. No matter the character deaths, sometimes slow storytelling, and the constant behind the scenes shake ups that seem to drastically alter the themes of the show every season, people keep tuning in. With it constantly breaking ratings records, it isn't surprising to learn that producers have a large plan mapped out, though how far they actually have tho

ught about still comes as a shock.
Indiewire attended a panel on Sunday where the people behind The Walking Dead, Homeland, Hannibal, and True Detective sat around talking about their shows. One of the producers forTWD was quoted saying,

"I happen to love working from source material, specifically because we have a pretty good idea of what season 10 is gonna be. We know where season 11 and 12...we have benchmarks and milestones for those seasons if we're lucky enough to get there."

I personally love what the back half of the latest season did with the characters, but I know it bugged some fans. Do you guys think TWD can sustain 12 seasons worth of story? How many more showrunners do you think will leave? How manly will Rick's beard be after 12 seasons?

Side Note: The full story with all the producers makes for an interesting read if you like any of those shows I listed above.
Comments (29)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Sorry to burst some bubbles but this show only has 4 more seasons to go at most. Robert Kirkman said he'll be surprised if the show sees S7.
Flag
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if AMC attempts to oust Robert Kirkman. I honestly don't think AMC cares about any of the creative minds behind the show, as long as the show remains a ratings hit, AMC will not let it die, especially since once Man Men is gone, it will be pretty much all AMC has left, unless Better Call Saul turns out to be a mega hit.
Flag
the more seasons the better best show i have ever watch big fan of walking dead each ep has been great :)
Flag
12 seasons seems long, and I personally wasn't a huge fan of all of season 4, but I don't love every single characters on this show, so whole episodes focused on just one or two characters was not enticing to me (the only one that came close was The Grove). However, if TWD can stay interesting and exciting through 12 seasons, I say go right on ahead. I can't guarantee I'll still be watching, but as long as it is still the massive hit it is today, why stop?
Flag
Yeah, but the real questions is how many showrunners will they have gone through by season 12.
Flag
That's a good question.
Flag
SPOILER ALERT
S12E16 - In the last 10mins of the show, the screen goes all hazy as Rick opens his eye's and says, "shit, that was one weird dream"

PREDICTED REACTION
Fan's all over the place go nuts and start to riot.
Flag
HA HA. I've always believed the whole thing is Rick's crazy dreams while he's in a coma. People said how do you explain Carl growing up then? And my answer is, he's been in a coma for a long time. Why not? It happens.
Flag
The last season was so boring... but at least consistent in quality using the same old plot.. while they keep alive the true main characters the show will last... but if they decide to kill someone like.. dunno.. Daryl?... it will end up just like Heroes for sure... with the fanbase against the show and with people bashing every new episode untill the show get axed... specially now that we know that the first 2 and last 2 episodes of every mid-season are the only ones that worth some excitement and anticipation... the remaining episodes are just arguable stuffing.

Ratings may drop if they keep milking the cow with the same boring wanderings and unbacked detours from the rich original comic book story... so 12 seasons right now sound like... ssssh.. mmm... no.
Flag
Not extremely long running series but shows like Lost and Game of Thrones have killed off characters and added others over the seasons.
The Walking Dead has shown the same ability to introduce and remove characters so I wouldn't be surprised if it had a long life.
Flag
"They're gonna feel pretty stupid when they find out."
"Find out what?"
"They're screwin' with the wrong people."
Flag
Lamest line in TWD's history.
Flag
I think the show CAN stick around that long, but the better more realistic question is will the actors? Sure, it's a paying gig, and most actors who aren't already well established would kill for a long term steady and visible high ratings TV show job. But that can springboard said actors to eventually wanting to branch out and expand their careers, which can be done while also being on the show, for a time, but it never lasts forever....uh, unless you have a gig on Game of Thrones... I think an actor would stick on that gig for 20 seasons if he/she somehow didn't manage to get killed off :P .

So yeah, the better question is, as the actors age, will people be able to keep the performers playing the characters around, given that when you write a comic you tend to not have to worry about that.

But yeah, my guess is, as long as the main characters decide they still want to do the show, I feel that AMC and the showrunners will likely keep making it, after all, who doesn't like money?
Flag
From recent memories, Dexter and Desperate Housewives which was hugely popular in the stronger days went on for eight. The last few seasons of the two shows were penned by most critics and fans. BB went out strongly at five.

It is very possible to have twelve especially for a show such as TWD. The real question is if it will be as good and popular even at season twelve. If they do achieve that, it would rewrite TV history.

How many recent prime time shows (in the last decade) went on for more than eight?
Flag
YES! YES! more please! Zombies never die.
Flag
The Walking Dead: Season 12 - Rick's beard has departed from the group and is single-handedly fighting his way through Texas looking for his one true companion, the only other beard that could survive the zombie apocalypse, the beard of... Chuck Norris.
Flag
12 seasons is awfully long. It is one of my favorite shows but No thanks !
Flag
I think if the ratings hold AMC would keep it going forever. However, I think the actors (who are mostly very talented) and the creative team (which includes Robert Kirkman who's a busy, busy man) would likely want to go out with the show on top and definitely sooner than 8 seasons from now. Yes, the source material is still going and still strong but I think the show is going to run into the same issue as the GoT show/books - eventually the show will catch up even if each volume is a season eventually they'll catch up. Regardless, comics can go on forever, can take on new life etc. look at the various incarnations of different DC / Marvel comics over the years - this doesn't mean that the show should. Also, people age in real life - they don't wait for story lines or comics. Real life moves MUCH faster than the show and comics. Carl will be an adult long before the show catches up with the comic so some of the stories won't work as well.
Flag
Yeah, that's why I'm so glad to be an American. I don't think zombies are the least bit ridiculous--my next door neighbor's one.
Flag
Can't see it myself. As much as I love this show I don't think it going to last anywhere near another 8 years.

Also, I don't think the show will have the staying power when it is over. I think a few years after it's done and dusted most people will have forgotten it even existed in the first place.
Flag
10 years? Maybe. I know that The Good Wife basically changed everything this season and it was a gamble that I think will pay off. Maybe one of these days, Walking Dead will gamble and take the group to Cuba or Haiti, or do a time skip and have Carl hooked up and knocked up some chick. Or have Rick go shit for brains bananas and its the group trying to kill him. I haven't read the comics but there are alot of ways to go if the writers have large enough gibblets around their necks.
Flag
Good ideas and it would be fun but I really doubt they are so brave.
Flag
Yea that isn't likely going to happen. I say maybe three more. Because people are going to get tired of it and tired that the group still hasn't learned anything.

Also so is it going to turn into the Evil Dead 3, Carl as Ash surrounded by skeletons.
Flag
Rick's beard will be very manly and with touches of distinguished grey ;-)
Flag
12 seasons sounds awfully long, even though I really enjoy watching TWD. But right now we are at the end of Season 4, and I cannot imagine 8 more entertaining, exciting, surprising, thrilling seasons. Wouldn't it become repetitive at some point?
I hate watching great series going down because of a too long run, don't want that to happen to TWD. But then I also cannot imagine a satisfying ending...
Flag
And just think, the comic series is still going, so who's to say the series won't just keep going even longer than that? It would be weird if the television adaptation finishes before the comics do, if you ask me. Personally, I think the story is flexible enough that the series can realistically have 12 seasons and still remain entertaining. I, like you, actually quite enjoyed what they did this season in The Walking Dead, and it really demonstrates the series potential for longevity. Whether it'll actually last twelve seasons is another story. Yeah, the ratings are could now, but how many viewers will be willing to watch for 12 seasons? I think there comes a point in every series' life where viewership starts to steadily decline over time and shortly thereafter the writers and/ or the network decides it's time for the series to end. Who knows whether or not this'll happen with The Walking Dead, but there are few series (I can only think of Breaking Bad) that have actually gone out on top in terms of its ratings. 12 years is a long time, so it's not unrealistic to also see The Walking Dead's ratings decline heavily before this point, even though I hope it can go on as long as the writers want it too.
More+
Flag
After the Negan story Arc, the show is done. No one will be interested.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members