A The Walking Dead Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on AMC

The Walking Dead S04E02: "Infected"

As if worrying about the dead rising up from the plane of existence between life and death and biting off people's ears wasn't enough, The Walking Dead's survivors now have to worry about the living! Or the almost dead, I should say. "Infected" was another successful episode in this rejuvenated (albeit young) fourth season, just different enough from The Walking Dead's raw formula to make the show feel new again. Yes, the glory days of The Walking Dead being scary, fun, and scary fun are back.

New showrunnner Scott Gimple needed to make the fortified prison a frightening place once again, and he did so with the recently introduced zombie-swine flu that's spreading across the grounds. It paid immediate dividends in the opening scene, when Karen was creeping around the prison bathrooms where zombie Patrick had crashed out at the end of last week's episode. I am a grown man and this scene frightened me as if I were a nervous baby. Is anything scarier than dead silence? Nothing happened, and that's exactly how the show will benefit from this virus outbreak. Otherwise, The Walking Dead is just a bunch of people poking zombies through a chain-link fence and sharing farming tips, the world is a lot less scary when the greatest threat is biting into an under-ripe carrot.

Though he didn't eat Karen, our poor young friend Patrick was up and walking again with the gift of zombie-ism, and he strolled into D-Block early in the morning for a breakfast of someone's throat. Quick question: Do zombies know to go for the throat when snacking, so that their meal doesn't scream for help and notify others, or did Patrick's nerdiness carry over into the afterbetweenlife? Whatever the case, smart move! Patrick was able to enjoy his breakfast in peace. It is the most important meal of the day, after all. If zombies learned how to eat like proper gentlemen, they'd be extra scary. How everyone slept through all the wheezing and slurping and crunching sounds, I don't know. Are they that comfortable now? 

What Patrick's noshing did was set off an absolute sh*tshow in D-Block as his leftovers got up and started looking for their own meal, causing pandemonium among the Woodbury refugees who'd been fast asleep. Humans were becoming zombies super fast! (Best not to ask too many questions, like "Why?") Rick, Daryl, and Glenn stepped in and took care of the walkers, then went through the unfun process of re-killing the not-yet-turned humans with headshots. Last week I praised The Walking Dead for bringing in fresh meat for butchering, and this week was the slaughter. Let's just hope there are still plenty more no-name extras to make this a weekly occurrence. 

But just because the immediate threat was squashed doesn't mean the survivors are in the clear, and this is where Stage 2 of zombie-swine flu will really have an impact. Now every character is at risk of dropping dead and turning, adding a sense of paranoia and claustrophobia to these tight quarters and lighting a flame under the zombie apocalypse's butt so that we can watch more people get eaten. It's not exactly a subtle development, and what the F a deadly flu NOW?, but I think the ends justify the means because the only thing scarier than zombies are zombies with runny noses. Too gross!

Now the question the group faces is how to cordon off the prison to create the most sanitized environment possible, and good luck with that Game of Thrones-ish small council. There's no way to tell who is actually sick, but there's also no leeway. So if you've got a sniffle, it's off to A-Block with the rest of the infected. Honestly, if this was going down while I was there, I'd wish everyone well, look for new accommodations, and take my chances. Please, The Walking Dead, make this new outbreak the event that forces everyone out of the too-safe-for-a-zombie-show confines of the prison, because the longer The Walking Dead's characters stay settled, the less exciting the show is. And we all know The Walking Dead makes a jazillion dollars each week, so ditch the standing set and take this show on the road! 

"Infected" continued to transform the members of group into television characters instead of uneaten zombie lunches with its focus on building character stories. However, I'm not all that into Rick as a pacifist and retired gunslinger; it's a waste of his character to not have him pointing a gun at a zombie or directly into the camera, as he's done so many times. Nobody wants The Walking Dead's iconic shot to be Rick brandishing a rake. We all knew Farmer Rick wasn't going to last long, so I'm glad he holstered his gun and gave Carl a firearm with minimal whining at the end of the episode. A sensitive Rick is a lame Rick.

What is a blast to watch is the show's increased use of Carol as someone who impacts more than just Daryl's sense of sexual safety. Carol clinched her nomination for this season's most-improved TV character when she brought Lizzy and Mika into Ryan's cell as he died. Her bedside manner was awful as she took a sensitive situation—two darling little girls saying their final goodbyes to their dying father—and turned it into an "Oh, get on with it" moment. I loved this scene so much, guys. When Lizzy and Mika were introduced I couldn't wait for them to die, but I'll wait another week if it means they'll be mentally tortured, especially Lizzy. I'm still upset with the girls for smack-talking Carl last week and naming zombies, so watching Lizzy's horrified face as she clutched the knife to finish off her dad was deeeeeeelicious. And the look of terror on her face when she turned around just in time to see Carol do what she couldn't was priceless. And then to top it all off, Carol matter-of-factly told Lizzy she was weak, and the kid did nothing to dispel that claim when she started crying about Nick the zombie being killed. Are you serious, Lizzy? Is there any chance that the ghost of Andrea has possessed Lizzy? Because this girl is an annoying idiot. (Don't worry, Mika, you're cool.)

But Lizzy still isn't the worst person in the prison. That title belongs to whoever is feeding rats to the zombies by the fence, probably to encourage some sort of breach. Who is doing this? It's gotta be Bob, right? He's the new guy who just happened to join the group by himself. Is he a spy for the Governor? Sent in to weaken Rick's group any way he can? And how is this person catching so many rats? Is there a hidden supply of cheese in the prison that I don't know about? Anyway, my money is on Bob as the culprit.

Another thing to wonder about: Is the King of the Rats also the same person who took a couple bodies, including Karen's, and torched them outside? Were these bodies dead when they were set ablaze? Or is someone attacking the problem before it can grow into a bigger problem and pouring gasoline all over anyone who coughs? Regardless of who that someone is, if Tyreese comes around asking if he can borrow a hammer, you probably shouldn't give it to him. The poor guy spent the opening of this episode singing "I Got You Under My Skin," and now he's got "Ring of Fire" stuck in his head. I doubt that whoever's bee feeding the zombies is the same person who burned those bodies. This current situation is going to open up a new debate of how to handle the ill, and someone made their opinion pretty plain and obvious already.

The Walking Dead has a knack for starting its seasons with a bang before fading down the stretch, but Season 4 feels different so far, thanks to improved character development and more interesting mysteries. Here's hoping this trend continues.

NOTES

– Thank you random new Doctor Character for explaining the new flu to us laymen: It's like "a soda can and you pop the top, only your eyes, ears, nose, and throat are the top."

– Zombie death by being squished through a chain-link fence goes on the shortlist of Best Zombie Kills, assuming he's dead (.GIF coming tomorrow).

– Rule #2 of surviving the zombie apocalypse: Don't take pictures of your girlfriend when she's asleep! That rule also applies to surviving a non-apocalypse situation.

– I really liked this week's scenes between Beth and Michonne. Beth has gone full-blown Nihilist; she totally accepts the fact that people are dying. And Michonne's "I hate babies" face was hilarious. I don't know what any of it means, but don't you feel closer to both of these characters than you did before? 

– While other characters are getting more time to shine, fan-favorite Daryl has been relatively quiet, hasn't he? I do think it's the right call; Daryl will have his moments, but these other characters (Michonne, Carol, Beth) need the attention more.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/3/2016

Season 6 : Episode 16

373 Comments
Comments (373)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
A great episode! One of the reasons is that they will be forced to move camp and hit the road. The prison is not that safe a place any more. The question of who did the deed with the epidemic victims - Tyreese is broken enough and has the strength to drag two people he'd just killled to the back yard and burn them. Rather that than see his dear Karen twine and die. "I got you under my skin" was a dead giveaway.
Flag
Did you watch the last 2 minutes at all? Tyrese clearly did not kill and/or burn his girlfriend and whoever that other newbie was.
Flag
He could have faked his anger, right? But now we know it was Carol.
Flag
My goodness...I'm so tired of people calling Carl a cold blooded killer.Herschel also it all makes no sense..what was he really going to do with him even if he surrendered..hold him hostage for ransom...or should he have told him to come back later and try again to kill him and his family..now they want to treat him as a child..That was the point of the show I thought was to show how people and life evolves in a apoapocalypse.and how good people have to do things they don't like
Flag
You might be tired of hearing it, but it doesn't make it any less true. The point of the show may indeed be to show how people survive (or what survival turns into) in an apocalyptic world that twists all our current norms and accepted values. But I think the point (and what winds up, IMO, actually turning the show into a show and not a video game or mindless exercise in how-will-they-get-out-of-this-one) also includes showing people pushing the boundaries beyond what is okay--feeling and figuring out that gray line, that edge. The scenario with Carl shooting an unarmed, surrendering teen is one that I think was intentionally designed to shake the audience a bit from our unflinching support of any and everything our favorite (or not-so-favorite) survivors do in the name of continued survival.
Flag
- The two burned bodies were dead first; hence the blood trails leading out to the yard. Someone did them in first, and they didn't care too much about hiding what they did. Or they did it at night, and didn't realize they were leaving a blood trail. Which sounds unlikely.

- Beth is hardened, but she isn't a nihilist. Nihilists don't believe in anything at all, like atheists but without any sense of value in any of the traditional things we take comfort in -- love, accomplishment, etc. I'd say she's more of a realist (at least in terms of zombie world): people are going to die. Get ready for it.
Flag
This episode highlights the fact that season 4 is striking the perfect balance that The Walking Dead needs: it has just enough of the slow, melancholy pace of season 2 combined with the action and suspense of season 3. We're getting solid character development while not skimping out on the gory zombie action. I'm definitely more excited for the new episodes than I have been for a while.
Flag
No mention of the piggies death? That scene broke my heart!!
Flag
It's traditional to present food & eat when grieving after a death...have a ham sandwich with bacon; You'll feel better. I promise
Flag
I wonder how they're going to repair the fence. They tried to put some poles against it, but that must have been temporary. Will we see a breakthrough in the next weeks and how will they deal with that. It's one of the things that keep me excited.
Flag
The 3 worst occurrences of this season thus far:
1. Karen's death because with all the gore and decomposition, a little eye-candy was exceedingly welcome.
2. Bob the klutz breaking all those wine/alcohol bottles. Acohol abuse in the extreme.
3. And of course, the mommy and baby piggies' departure. My eyes are still pooling.

No complaints otherwise, great season startup!
Flag
Tim, forget the quality of the show, this season your re-caps have been great. Genuinley good insight and extremely funny. I just hope they stay great when this season of Walking Dead innevitably doesn't
Flag
Can't wait to hear Michonnes back story, should be interesting we can also finally find out who those chained walkers were.
Flag
She hasn't tell a soul yet, they could be anything from her brothers to random walkers she sort of adopted like Lizzy did with her zombie.
Flag
She had pretty strong feelings of disgust towards them, seemed personal rather than just randomly placed feelings.
Flag
Then again, Michonne seemed to be disgusted by anything except Andrea back then. I didn't even know she could smile until this season.
Flag
haha fair point
Flag
I could be wrong & simply confusing the TV storyline with the comic storyline, but I could swear Mich mentioned who they were last season when Andrea caught her talking to herself in her cell.
Flag
I think she did say something about them, but pretty sure she just said she knew them before they turned but didn't go into detail about who they actually were
Flag
You could be right, my memory isn't the greatest, but I have a feeling she did mention it was her family in some way, family she obviously didn't like very much, but I'm not sure if I read that somewhere or not.
Flag
good episode but left me with a couple of questions
1 - who is feeding the walkers and leaving rat bodies next to the fence
2 - when they discovered said pile of rats why didn't they pick them up thus removing the focus of the walkers that was making them concentrate on one spot of the fence
3 - why did Rick basically hamstring the piggies and leave them so close to the fence when he was trying to stop the walkers congregating at the fence
4 - wouldn't it have made more sense to let at least one of them run loose so the walkers would chase after it?

and my biggest issue

THEY ARE IN A PRISON AND SLEEPING IN PRISON CELLS WHY THE HELL WOULD THEY NOT CLOSE THE DOORS???

Having been through and invasion via the tombs you would think they would have learned. Never mind the fact that we still haven't seen the tombs. If you have a room with a metal barred door on it and its a guaranteed way to stop a walker chomping on your throat for breakfast why the hell would you sleep with it open?? The sleep walking kid was the only one to shut his door and in doing so he actually managed to stop himself from going on a breakfast binge of guts and throat after he died. The no body extra who was turned into a bleeding eyed zombie was the only one who actually used his brain it seems.
More+
Flag
I think the reason they didn't close the doors was that 6 months had passed and people allowed themselves to become comfortable in their new environment. I mean, you close that door a month or two but, if nothing happens, after the third you start to feel safe and begin to slack off and after the fourth you leave it be. It was shown in the first episode just how relaxed and comfortable the new group has become (flower pots all over the place, drawing on the walls, gardens and piglets and all around happy faces... and couples in love)
Flag
It was a great episode but I teared up when they fed the pigs to the walkers. I don't know if it is because I am pregnant and more sensitive to that sort of stuff but the sounds they were making were heartbreaking :( Poor little things
Flag
Great episode! Only problem I had with it; who cares if the you teach the kids how to protect themselves and survive. No one should be against that, especially Carl who has murdered before... and killing the pigs. Yeah maybe the pigs had to die, but not like that. To get the zombies off the fence, all they had to do was drive out there and make noises, or fire off a few shots to draw their attention. Too over dramatic.
Flag
Loved this episode. Some good character development for Carol, Beth and Michonne. Great suspense on the opening scene (I literally had my hand covering my eyes most of the time). Some good zombie kills and Rick and Carl returning to their gunslinging ways. Awesome episode.
ps: Tyreese is going to be pissed!
Flag
I'm going with "there's something in the water." Which probably came from whoever is feeding rats to the zombie masses. This season is already leagues better than the the previous ones.
Flag
Ya know what, regardless of how much screen time he gets, Daryl is always a badass. And Michone is kind of the opposite...maybe it's just me, but I've never liked her character.
Flag
About Michine, neither do I :-)
Flag
Naah , I love Michonne, but I think they've done the strong, silent, broody thing with her to much though and its getting boring, however judging by this episode, I think their going to add a little to her character. So hopefully shell get more likeable soon
Flag
All I kept thinking of in this episode was OH MY GOD HORRIBLE HORRIBLE THINGS ARE HAPPENING. By the end of the episode when Ricks shirt was now pretty much fire fodder, the recurring thought had come to me that Rick's had a pretty rough time of the apocalypse so far.
Flag
Good episode, we got rid of meaningless side characters, we got a new threat (someone feeding zombies, swine flu, someone killing off sick people). Overall good start to the new season. I am intrigued to find out who set Karen and the other person on fire. It seems obvious that they were killed before they turned and were burned. Not sure who did it, but it is a mystery I am interested in. Not sure who the person is feeding the zombies. I feel like the one girl would be too obvious a choice, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

Glad that farmer Rick is taking a hike and gunslinging Rick is back. He is better as a badass. I didn't like Carol calling the one girl weak, because she couldn't bring herself to kill her father. Zombieapocalypse or not, that is a pretty hard thing to do, especially for a child. Also Carol has some nerve calling someone weak (a child no less) when ALL SHE DID when her child went missing was cry, pray and blame Rick. I don't recollect her searching for her at all. AND to top it all off, when Sophia did her Zombie-walk out the barn, EVERYONE stood around like they were stuck on stupid, the ONLY person MAN ENOUGH to take her out was Rick. So I'm gonna need Carol to shut the fuck up about someone being weak.
More+
Flag
I think Carol has gone a long way since then. She's the character that has grown the most.
Flag
How do you call a parent that has lost a child? Carol.

They have called that way every day since she lost her child.
Flag
She may have grown since then but calling a CHILD weak because they didn't want to KILL their parent is a bit much. If anything Carol should understand considering how WEAK some people might consider her when she was getting beat by her husband. She may have changed because of the death of her daughter but prior to that she was a weakminded sniveling idiot.
Flag
Dont agree with you ... she thought the child was being weak, she did the right thing in telling her. Whatever she was or was not before is totally irr
Flag
Exactly! She was a weak minded fool, and her kid died because of it. Maybe she didnt want Lizzy to make the same mistakes? If you're weak, you or people around you die. Simple as that. She did the right thing.
Flag
She's a CHILD. Carol was a GROWN ASS WOMAN who left the search of HER MISSING CHILD up to EVERYONE else. If the child is weak for not killing her father then so is Carol for not looking for her missing kid (which she COULD and SHOULD have done). I seem to recall Daryl and Rick doing the most searching when it came to looking for Sophia (I believe Shane did too). The fact that Carol is strong now means NOTHING when at the time her child was missing she was a WEAK MINDED FOOL who DID NOTHING. I think we can give the kid a break for not having the stones to kill her father. How hard must that be for a 11 or 12 year old (not sure how old she is), even in a zombie apocolypse. Carol is strong NOW but when Sophia was missing (and even before that) she was WEAK. I don't have a problem with Carol, I have a problem with her undermining the already fragile mind of a child (one who names zombies and already has a problem grasping reality).
Flag
To be fair, she ended Ed before he turned into a walker. Even at her weakest, Carol wouldn't deny the same mercy that was granted to the girls's's father.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I actually Andrea and Amy have reincarnated as the two annoying blonde little girls
Flag
I am amazed to see how many people say that The walking dead is scary.I don't see what's scary in this show.
zombies are really not scary for me , it's a simple threat , they are easy to kill , they make noises so you can hear them , the only threat would be the number of them , be in a small space with a herd of zombies could be scary but that's it.

the walking dead is not good on so many level , it's not a scary show , it's not really a good action show , and it's not a good drama either.it's too bad because I really think a show about the zombie apocalypse coule be really amazing , with great charismatic characters , a lot of tension and actions scenes ...
Flag
I can answer this. As an avid horror and post-apocalyptic fiction fan, I digest these types of movies and comics nearly every day. And yet, on a consistent basis I find myself highly disturbed after watching an episode of The Walking Dead.

I think the biggest reason is in this show's plausibility. Somehow they've managed to take a decades-old story and, with minimal suspension of disbelief, make it seem truly real. I watch these episodes, and I imagine I'm in a world where I don't know if I'll wake up tomorrow because someone may be gnawing on my throat.

As soon as you picture yourself living in Rick's world, the show will consume you. Never in 30+ years have I experienced this from horror-fiction. This show is something special.
Flag
Good answer ... also, if you weren't cringing on that amazing opening scene with karen walking in the dark, you have no imagination or ... you're just lying :)
Flag
I understand your points , but the difference is that I don't really like the characters in this show , so I am not attached to any of them , seeing them die or in danger is not scary for me.

american horror story is not scary too , but it's a lot of fun to watch and the characters are really more charismatic and well written

Flag
You can live in the best area possible but you would still lock your doors at night...But in a zombie apocalypse u don't...C'Mon Man...
Flag
I really enjoyed the zombie playdoh factory death.
Flag
This season has improved really well over the previous ones. I'm thrilled that there are actual characters on the show now. My only lingering doubts is that the show has somehow become a little less cinematic and has had fewer effective dramatic moments. Hopefully that element of it will return.
Flag
First, I think Michonne may have had a child that died at some point, due to that scene with Beth.
Also, I think its Carl who torched the bodies, he watched Rick torch the possibly contaminated pig hut with the gasoline, and then said something about how "We've got to do whatever we can to keep Judith safe." And we've already seen him make brutal, morally questionable choices of killing people who aren't necessarily a threat, just to be on the safe side.
Flag
I've read and dismissed the Carl theory before, but you made a very reasoned and logical argument for it. It would certainly be a very chilling development.
Flag
I agree about Michone. she has had a child in the past. I don't know if the baby died in the zombie invasion or before, or if Michone had to kill the baby to stay safe, but hopefully the back story will be told.
Flag
Great episode, it had me on my toes from the first minutes. I almost fastforwarded the shower scenes because they were too spooky for me.

Best characterdevelopment of this last weeks for Carol. She has become a real badass.
Flag
HOW in all this, is there not 1 mention about the most hard to watch Piglet slaughter scene...
Flag
Winnie the Pooh's little buddy sacrificed himself for the good of the group = HERO
Flag
Because it was too hard to watch and we'd rather not think about it... and now you made me remember those poor little things (...going to my happy place)
Flag
I had a feeling Karen had to die so she could get back to recurring on Teen Wolf. There's only so much Melissa Ponzio to go around!
Flag
After a somewhat improved season opener, I was very disappointed with this weeks episode. A great virus-storyline opportunity was once again missed and swapped for a bullshit swine-flu story! Give me a fucking break show! The flu!? Really? Also, I am so sick and tired of the same old zombie bullshit! We know that there's a Zombie-Apocalypse and that Zombies are everywhere! We know what they look like, what they sound like, what it takes to kill one, what it looks like when one is killed.....WE'VE SEEN IT ALL MAKE-UP AND EFFECTS DEPARTMENT! But without a solid storyline behind all of the zombie-gore it all becomes very boring very quickly. How many times do we need to see zombie-guts-splatter and zombie-heads getting smushed? Seriously....it's all getting so old! Give us some character development and an interesting storyline! The Zombies should be secondary to the storyline and not "the only interesting thing about the show"! No wonder those kids would rather hang out with Zombies and the crazy Irish chick would rather be one! Because the people who are alive are more lame then the Zombies - I didn't think that level of lame was possible! They give us that short little scene between Michonne and the baby and then throw it to the side so that we can watch zombie head-pokes at the fence!? For fucks sake! They've been at that prison for 7 months and they haven't thought of a way to reinforce the fence? Or lock the individual cells at night? Morgan is in a zombie-ridden town ALL BY HIMSELF and he's thought of a thousand zombie-traps and ways to keep the Zombies away!!!! These morons have an actual "council" and they haven't thought of shit as far as keeping the Zombies away and minimising the threat? Sadly, I agree with Tim. Take those fools on the road and give us a decent story. I am so sick of the same-old zombie kills over and over again. It's like listening to the lamest song on repeat for 4 years. It the fourth season and we still barely know the characters and the show wants us to care about them enough to actually "root" for them over the Zombies? It's kinda hard when I couldn't care less which one of them gets eaten next. The scene with the piglets was just created to induce shock and take the violence up a notch on a show that doesn't need it. All that scene did is made me feel sorry for the pigs, when I should really be feeling sorry for the humans. I'm very disappointed after last weeks episode and I think I've lost all hope in this show ever becoming anything more then what it is. It's not a show about a Zombie Apocalypse it's a show about killing Zombies. And it's all very L.A.M.E
More+
Flag
I totally agree it seems as if nothing happened the whole episode except some zombie kills...it's like after mid season 3 they lost all common sense..I mean no character development at all..I mean I'm black and I loved hate merel he actually started to change then they kill him...now there is no ashole..Shane was before I think u need at least 1 prick to keep it interesting..now everything is calm and boring in the middle of a zombie apocalypse ..How can that be
Flag
Yes exactly! I find that they only give a character something resembling a "personality" in the episode that they die in! What's the point? Seriously, this show would be more interesting if the Zombies had personalities since the humans don't! Ugh!
Flag
I agree with you about locking the cell doors, I mean, as if you would ever feel safe enough in a zombie apocolypse not to make sure you locked your bedroom door at night so you weren't eaten in your sleep.
Flag
The point of that scene was to show how safe and protected they felt there. They got complacent and let themselves forget that bad things can always happen.
Flag
Nope. I don't agree with that. There is no way in hell you'd EVER feel "safe" on this show. Shenanigans!
Flag
Agreed..how can u feel completely safe in a zombie apocalypse..lets forget the fact that u could be robbed or even raped..
Flag
I agree with you , you said exactly what I feel when I watch it.I have hope for it to become epic and fun , a spin off with new characters might be a good idea,
Flag
Yeah....there's SO MUCH POTENTIAL with this show but it's just not going for it. It's just so frustrating and infuriating for me as a viewer. I mean, I "root" for the show! I want it to get better! But all it ever does is let me down. I'm glad I'm not the only one and I still don't get why/how the show gets such record-breaking ratings!? It's baffling. And as long as it keeps getting sky high ratings the writers will keep serving up shit. Why "try" when they don't have to - I'd say that's the shows moto.
Flag
Michonne spraining an ankle? What was that?
Flag
an old horror-movie trope.
Flag
they try to make zombies look like a threat , but it's only a threat because the stupid mistakes they're making.
Flag
I had Lizzy down for feeding the rats, to her zombie friend Nick. Kind of weird that she is more upset at the thoughts of her pet zombie dying than her dad. As her sister said she's not right in the head. It would be interesting to see how they deal with a child who is openly endangering the group, and who comes across as a blossoming psychopath.
No mention for the scene with Rick and the pigs? It really got to me, in a way that TWD normally doesn't. Even though I hate farmer Rick and want him to seriously get back on track, it was hard to watch, the little squeals didn't help either. There was a real sense of hopelessness to it, and it made Rick realise that he can't have a normalish life.
At first I thought that Karen might have committed suicide with the gasoline rather than turning zombie, but there was a lot of blood so that probably doesn't make sense. I hope it was Tyrese's sister, awkward! I don't think the show would have the b*lls to have it been one of the originals.
Daryl is doing just fine, a few sweet zombie kills this week to remind us of the amazingness that is Daryl.
More+
Flag
The blood trails could be explained by the sickness - blood pouring from the eyes etc. - but the way the bodies are positioned makes me think they were already dead when they were burned
Flag
Ya they look like they were probably dead before they were burned. It looks like a lying position. It's a more interesting storyline to have them killed and burned too.
Flag
or suddenly we have suicidal zombies - which would be understandable, I mean all that shuffing and moaning must be a bit wearisome
Flag
The character development this season is great; Gimple's got a good handle on it. What bothered me about this week's episode is something that's been bugging me since season 3.

They're in a secure prison. They secure the cell blocks, which is great, but I always thought it was weird that they didn't secure each individual cell. If I'm in a zombie apocalypse, and I have the option to secure myself safely in a small room away from everyone, I'm going to take it. I mean, Hershel could've had a heart attack and died in his sleep. And then, sure enough in season 4, this scenario takes place. I get that they're getting really cozy in the prison, but I don't know. It always struck me as kind of a stupid decision to not lock up each cell at night.
Flag
Yes not locking each cell is RIDICULOUS! And worse, it's not realistic. There's in no way in hell that these people would leave their cells unlocked after everything they've been through. Bogus! Even if say for example they don't have keys for the cells at least close the damn thing and secure it with a bit of wire or tie it shut with something. Ridiculous The Walking Dead ...just ridiculous!
Flag
The rat thing could be the kids who considered the Walkers are people. My problem is isn't there supposed to be a night watch? Who couldn't see that flashlight light?

Rick could have been the one to burn the bodies. The prison unlikely has a medicine supply big enough to try to treat everyone who gets sick. And no matter, since people were clearly being separated mostly so that when they turn into zombies they can't harm the still living.

I don't know why they are still burying the dead in the grass. Don't they need that soil for crops? They should be doing something like somehow taking the dead outside of the compound.
Flag
They are beyond the first fence in the no man's land between fences.
Flag
I have two questions:

1) In a time, fuel is no longer made, is it really smart to through half a tank of it on a pile of wood to burn it?
2) Where do the bullets keep coming from as they are very likely not produced anymore.

Ok, one more: why not use the jeep to just run over those zombies at the fence? There is enough stuff at the prison to make something sharp to mount on the jeep. With just one run they could destroy all the zombies.

I agree with Tim Surette, they should leave the prison to keep it more interesting, but for now the group is too big, so I'll guess we'll have to wait until most of the Woodburry people are dead.

Melissa mcBride is still on the opening titles, so when will she be back, living or as a walker?
Flag
Or instead of burning wood throw some fuel at the Zombie-herd and problem solved! But no, this show just had to waste time to show us Rick slicing into those piglets! That's what's really important! Rick slicing piglets! Wtf?
Flag
I've given up about the abundance of fuel, batteries, electricity, the unrealistic growth spurts of vegetables, where did they get the seeds for all the veg? Where did the pigs come from? The local pig farm.
Ya the zombies, why not kill a few while they were spread out with the pigs. They could pick off the outside ones. And how come no matter how many they kill at the fence they don't pile up? There are a few plot holes alright.
Flag
With so many people dead, the need for fuel is tremendously decreased. They likely are able to siphon gas from underground tanks at nearby gas stations.
Georgia, like many southern states, has a problem with feral hogs. They run wild an in herds. Trapping one or two would not be a problem. Build a fence, let nature take its course, and voila piglets.
All the stores are empty. They can just walk in and take their pick of clothes, seeds, and batteries. There is no electricity, but people lived for many, many years without that luxury.
Flag
Sure the stores are looted, but there's still bound to be stuff left. Also, the siphoning doesn't have to be a big job. Stephen King did an exhaustive account of its being done in The Stand.

The prison likely had underground tanks of its own.
Flag
It would be a fairly big operation to siphon gas from underground tanks. They would hardly go to that effort for a few liters. They would need to store what they siphoned in large tanks. They would need trucks or large vans to carry big tanks. And something that big could/should be worked in to the show plot wise. We have seen them go to supermarkets/shops to get items, but these places would be rioted first in any apocalyptic situation, so they should be fairly empty by now, and they were in the beginning of the series.
Plus they can't be the only non zombies around. So others would take this stuff too. The way the show is at the minute, it's like they are the last survivors on earth, and they can just pop to the shops to pick up groceries. These selves are not restocked anymore. Just all seems a bit too easy for me.
Flag
I think carl is behind the rat feeding and killing the two sick people.

He fed rats to create insecurity so he could help kill zombies. Recall how he told Rick that there were more zombies and that crews would need help clearing them. He also used the zombies as a way of getting his gun back. Lastly, he wanted to "scare" the girls into realizing that zombies are not pets. What better way than to create a breach, then help clear zombies. Also, recall that Carl never wanted the Woodbury people there anyway. He trusts no one, so losing a few to a zombie breach isn't so bad.

The two sick people were found dead after Carl got back his gun. We don't know how they were killed, but likely he would have wanted that gun before acting, even if it wasn't used. Also the corpses were burned. Carl saw his father kill the pigs that were probably infected, then burn everything they left behind. In his sociopathic world he probably figured that was what was needed in order for everyone to survive. Of course Carl no longer sees shades of grey. Sick people are a threat and must be removed. His father and other people won't do it, so Carl decides to do the dirty work.

This sets a perfect stage for the season. Carl is unstable murder. Rick learns of it and has to decide whether to keep it secret. Inevitably, Tyreese will find out and this will cause a split in this group, friction will lead to a gap in the defenses of the prison and zombies will chase one group out of their prison safe haven. Getting everyone back on the road again bringing new excitement and adventures to the party.

Should be an exciting season.
More+
Flag
Wow, I'll be very impressed if that happens! Like really impressed. However, I doubt it'll be that good and I think you might be a thinking a bit too smart for this show. I guess we'll see and I'll be happy if I'm wrong.
Flag
but maybe that's what they want us to think to take the focus off Carl silently transforming into a bloodthirsty mass-murderer :-)
Flag
I think the clear insinuation is that it is Lizzy. She names the zombies, didn't want them to be killed because she likes one of them, and even her little sister stated that she was crazy... and with a hint of surprise that nobody else has noticed yet lol.
Flag
So I don't normally say things like "Awww, look at the cute baby!". Mainly because kittens and pretty much any baby animal tends to be higher on my list of things that are adorable.
But, OMG! How cute is Judy in this shot?! Just happy as can be, playing with her red cups, completely unaware of the horrors that lurk outside.

So cute :)

Flag
Yep. She's a victim of ABS, adorable baby syndrome.
Flag
Duh doi, Michonne lost a baby and that's why she was so weird about Judith. And it also helps to explain why she was so closed off and psycho when we met her!

I really am enjoying all the effort being put into character development! This Farmer Rick thing makes a lot of (boring) sense, since he feels like he went too far off the deep end when he was the Ricktator, and blames himself for Carl capping that kid last season. But, there's not a lot of room for pacifists anymore, as he was quick to realize this episode.

I think Sasha is the one who torched Karen and the other crispy dude! She gets shit done, and she looked pretty ticked that Tyrese was so into Karen even though it could put him in danger.

Rick killing those little piglets was genuinely upsetting, even if they were flu-infested time bombs. Just kill people and zombies from now on pls!!
Flag
I really liked this episode. I know they brought in so many new characters so they could be killed off, so yeah, good times. At this point, I find myself not caring about who dies so much anymore though. I tend to fast forward through the "scary" bits, cause I know people are gonna die anyway. I tune in for scenes like the one with Michonne and Judith now. A little emotional drama. Not the "Rick the pacifist farmer" kind, but the kind where even through all the gore and drama, people still feel things. And then some zombie slashing of course ;).

I don't know what's gonna happen this season, but I know some people will die. The only thing I want is for one of the three main (S1) guys to die. Glenn, Daryl or Rick. Now THAT would be radical. Especially since they've pretty much killed off all the main female characters from S1.

Flag
When Carol was asking Carl not to tell her father I was just waiting for her to say something like, "Someone has to teach these kids. Maybe if someone had taught Sofia she'd still be with us." This would have explained her character a bit better in my opinion and, for all I know, it's exactly what the writers are thinking. I just wish they would have expressed it better.
Flag
Yeah, great point. But no! Dialogue and character development takes a backseat to the 1'000'135th zombie-slashing scene. Coz we haven't seen Zombies get killed on this show before! O_o
Flag
Flag
Morgan already had that same conversation with Rick last season (he even told Carl not to be sorry for shooting him), so I liked they took another angle between Carl and Carol.
Flag
OMG, I don't know who Morgan is! Who was Morgan!? I swear I watched the whole season, but I have no clue who Morgan is. Zombie food I presume?
Flag
Morgan was one of the three characters feautured in season 3's episode "Clear", no one who watches this show could have missed it.
Flag
I'm going to assume that was implied. Carl and Carol were the people closest to her and so they wouldn't have had to say it. It's probably also why Carl told Rick that what she was doing was a good idea.
Flag
Who else thinks that the Governor is the "King of the Rats" and is living in the tombs somewhere?
Flag
It wouldn't surprise me if it were him.
Flag
Firstly

and this weeks episode was sponsored by bacon

I thought it was a solid 2nd episode - it seems like they have a good formula so far and they are not getting side tracked with dumb stuff (so far)

Stuff -
*I'm pretty sure Lizzy was feeding the zombies- she gave them names for f*cks sake
*Also, no one on watch noticed the flashlight during the rat feeding
*So they now have 2 doctors and an ex army medic - none of whom noticed a deadly outbreak WTF?
*While Beth's new attitude is interesting, I hope they don't make that the only interesting thing about her.
*Michone's reaction to the baby and Beth's question "What do you call someone whose lost kids?" are rather obvious hints that Michone had a baby who died. If she had a child who was older she would act differently around Carl. Or she doesn't like dirty nappies
*Lizzy took the knife off of Carol - that'll end well
*Rick giving Carl his gun back and not being shocked about Carol seemed like he was accepting the situation - trying to "force" Carl to have an actual childhood might not be viable - but it also showed any concerns about "psycho" Carl from the end of last season may have dissipated
*I think Tyreese's sister killed Karen and her buddy - it just fits her personality

Best bored look this week goes to baby Judith

Zombie Lookalikes -

And finally
Tyreese's love life woes-

More+
Flag
Can't be Lizzy ... not tall enough. If you watch the scene, you can see the person feeding the rats is an adult.
Flag
The Kathy Griffin zombie was spot on.
Remember Patrick went to his room after feeling sick during the knife-wielding portion of story time. The others, including Carol, thought he just didn't want to deal with the knives, so no on alerted the doctors that he was ill. He was probably a no show at dinner, but with a large group that could have gone unnoticed. He was alone in the bathroom when he died. There was really no way any of the medical staff could have known what was going on.
Flag
I see your point.....its Carols fault!
Flag
And NOW they are worried about contagion? I remember in that episode in season 1 when Rick and Glenn wore raincoats and the got covered in zombie blood and guts to pass themselves as zombies and escape the store in Atlanta. Rick said: "Be careful not to get it on your mouth and eyes." After that, in subsequent episodes, they practically bathed in zombie insides even though they had known for sure they were dealing with an infection ever since the CDC episode. So, NOW infection becomes an issue?

Of course Beth had to sing again. Not that I'm complaining, really. Emily Kinney is a talented singer and even if I don't care so much about her as an actress, I want to know all about her as a singer. She has a powerful singing voice which shows even when she is speaking.

Michonne has to be the TWD character who first find a bunch of baby zombies. Or is it zombie babies? Interestingly enough, she's more put off by babies than zombies, with the problem that she can't use her katana on a baby.

Note to self - Idea for a TV show: A The Walking Dead/Supernatural/American Horror Story spinoff/crossover. The Dead characters we miss (Lori, Andrea, Dale, T-Dog, Amy & Co.) are chased by the ghots of the dead zombies in Purgatory. It would be a way to reusing the characters we miss, and still make the show *really* scary.

Rick's nursery rhyme for Judith:

This little piggy went to market,
This little piggy stayed at home,
This little piggy had roast beef,
This little piggy had none.
And the rest of the piggies went...
"Wee wee wee" all the way to feed the walkers...

More+
Flag
I forgot this was a zombie show for a moment and I thought the bodies burned because of exposure to sunlight. Guess I've been watching too many vampire shows lately.
Flag
best shoot ever :

Danai Gurira, deserves credit for portraying the grief of what we now understand...

Flag
That little girl is like..."wth is going on."
Flag
Beth will become the bad@ss Andrea was in the comics.
Flag
Get out of that effing prison already. It's time!
Flag
I realized last night, and maybe even as early as last week, that I really don't like this show as much anymore. I don't really care about any of the characters anymore, and the setting has overstayed its welcome as many others suggest.

I'm surprised more wasn't made of the scene with Carol and the two girls in the cell with their father. I don't care how bad things gets, if someone else is there to show I knife in your father's recently deceased brain You Let Them Do It. Especially if we are talking about two little girls who apparently avoided the outside world for most of it. Then, to just let them hesitate and take their time inches from a potential Walker's mouth in a tiny confined cell is just insane.

If they kill Carol next week I'll feel a little better about this show, but I'm losing interest in the characters otherwise.
Flag
It's been TWO YEARS since the zombie outbreak. I don't get it how people could still be this sheltered. That hesitation is what killed Morgan's son and I find it insane that they still allowed people to be so helpless. Also, the father had just died and was tied to the bed with some white sheet (there was still time) and the little girl asked to put down her father, she just couldn't go through with it but it was her idea. Carol wanted to kill him right away but she allowed the girl to put down her loved one. This theme of 'putting down the ones you love' has been around since the first season (ever since Andrea and Amy) so I don't see how Carol could have refused.
And another thing, if people look carefully, the zombies don't wake up after after seconds. We don't know for how long was Patrick dead but when he started killing it was dark and when the walkers started rising it was already daylight.
Is it me or the fact that Patrick was smart about killing his food in silence is proof that walkers are smarter right after they awake (like in the first season when all walkers were fresh and smart)? I mean, he could have just bitten a leg and have the victim scream to warn the rest of the residents.
More +
Flag
Exact opposite for me. I feel like the characters are much improved in these first two episodes of Season 4.
Flag
Not only that but we got a little bit of everyone of the main cast. Hershel, Beth, Carol were there just as much as the rest of them and this balance is what makes me happy. It's not only about Rick and Daryl. This show should be about all of them not just the bad ass people, because in real life a group needs caretakers just as much for survival and I hated that, in the past, the show had made us feel they were second rate for that reason only.
Flag
Noooooo! She's my favorite. Of course that makes her walker meat.
Flag
Man, the Death of Rats sure has a busy schedule right now. First Revolution, now this. The only logical (logical meaning non-asspull) explanation for that would indeed be a governer inside man. Anything else, like someone doing it for kicks or because Rick gave him a raw tomato and we're back to the old TWD.
The burned bodies, on the other hand, might well be someone from the group, someone with, say, nihilistic tendencies mayhaps? Just off 'em, not take any chances. Sounds reasonable.
Michonne obviously had kids who were eaten alive.
Flag
The Death of Rats!!! I want to see Him in the raven and saying Iiiiiik
Flag
Which is why it's so important to teach children how to stab their parents, in case one turns into a zombie and tries to bite them.
Flag
Didn't Lizzy volunteer to do it?
Flag
When Carl volunteered to shot his mother in the head, he shot his mother in the head. He didn't endanger his sister by dragging the task long enough for Lori to turn.
Flag
Carl is a different case in a lot of ways.
Flag
I was under the impression the rats were put there by Lizzie and Mika - caring for the wellbeing of Nick and the other poor, starving, man-eating corpses. I might very well be wrong though (In fact I hope I am - just about any other explanation would be more interesting :) )
As with Michonne and Lily - I thought I was pretty obvious that Michonne is dealing with a lost child of her own. Specially giving Beth's kinda insensitive "Hah! - You know what's funny? - That there is no word for parents who have lost a child! How hilarious is that!!!"-line.

A good season so far. If for no other reason, then for the absence of Andrea and Lori. As well as the presence of new Carol.
Flag
..and by Lily I mean Judith :/
Flag
I had also assumed that the girls were the ones feeding the walkers...just as I think Bob is the one who torched the sick ppl.
Flag

Or Lizzy is the one feeding the walkers, but Bob burnt the infected.
Flag
To be honest, I'm not even sure those two were infected...andeven if they were, it was too soon to start burning them.
Flag
It looks different and I love it!! Last Season got me very disappointed with the show, but it sure gave me a fresh start now. The Walking Dead has the gift of making great first episodes and letting the story go down afterward, but I hope now's gonna be different.
Flag
Beth needs less attention. Her character just annoys me more and more. Other than that I am fine with seeing the others get more attention, but I still want to see more of Daryl, especially together with Carol. Get it on already!

It's sad that the girls are being told they're weak for not re-killing their father before he turns, and that the kids are having to learn those things at all. They'll grow up to be even worse than Beth is now...

I also thought it was a bit sad to see Carl get his gun back. I just hope they'll change his character now for the better. I also hope Rick is over his crazy. I don't mind him acting more of a pacifist as long as he can kill zombies when necessary.

Poor Michonne. I bet she lost a baby or something before we got to know her. Why else would holding the baby trigger that reaction in her.

Bob is trouble. I bet he is the one feeding the walkers and setting the two on fire. Was Karen one of the burnt bodies? :O Whose bracelet was that?

The saddest part of the whole episode was when Rick slashed those poor little piggies. :(
More+
Flag
If this weren't a controlled environment (with Carol watching over the girl and taking over when needed) and the girl literally had no one to kill her father for her she would have ended up like Morgan's son. I get it that it's hard and it's sad that she has to face a world as cruel as this but there's no way around it.

In the end everyone becomes who they need to be to survive, I bet Beth is going to get better just as Michone is slowly changing back in-spite of herself. Our core personality doesn't change, it can be altered for a while to help us cope, survive or it can be hidden but it never truly goes away.
Flag
Sometimes Daryl sounds so resentful around characters that opnely express their affection - Zach & Beth, Glenn & Maggie, Tyreese & his romance novel, etc. - I figure he must be as frustrated as the audience in that regard.

Baby steps Daryl, Baby steps.
Flag
Lol, never noticed that...
Well, both Carol and Daryl had been abused by their loved ones and that doesn't go away too easy. She does tease him mercilessly but I half believe that is only because it is completely safe (the worst that can happen is for him to run away). If he were more open I don't think she would have dared to tell him half the things she said... so yeah, baby steps indeed
Flag
Then again, Carol only ever teases Daryl whenever they are alone and she's sure no one could listen, whether that is Patrick, Rick or Merle.

She doesn't sound frustrated though, she sounds like someone that feels this is good enough, for the time being.
Flag
I guess teasing while alone is a sign of respect for Daryl and his many problems/issues, lol. I never noticed anyone being frustrated before. I mentioned just that she feels safe to venture into teasing territory only because it's Daryl and I'm not sure whether she would be ok with someone more active in pursuing his interests (more normal, like Axel if he would have survived a couple more episodes).
I have no clue what's inside Daryl's head (aside from walker food) but I think that even if he sucks royally at the teasing game he still enjoys it a lot.
Flag
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members